What's new

The WE WANT DOOMSDAY Thread.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Doomsday is a fundamental character and his mix ups are fair. Respect the plus frames on mb shoulder, learn to block earthshaker, tech throws on reaction, and dont jump... its the scrub test 101 which is why people hate him so much

Absolutely needs to be in.
Logically, I don't see how he would fit in a Brainiac story.

And stahp, d1~earthshaker was AIDs (even high level players couldn't deal with that shit), mb shoulder plus frames that you couldn't jump over to counter...just had to hold it, his super ambiguous jump in..iunno I'll pass.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Logically, I don't see how he would fit in a Brainiac story.

And stahp, d1~earthshaker was AIDs (even high level players couldn't deal with that shit), mb shoulder plus frames that you couldn't jump over to counter...just had to hold it, his super ambiguous jump in..iunno I'll pass.
Yeah Im not sure how he would fit into a Brainiac story either I was just talking gameplay.

As for earthshaker, D1xxES is the easiest to block by far, I can block it probably 90% of the time offline, its just muscle memory, same with F2 and B1xxES. Raw ES is the hardest to block. And yeah I really dont have a problem with mb shoulder except for those times where you do jump it and it hits after you cross to the other side. As for jump ins everyones could be made to be ambiguous, thats not Doomsday specific. I think most peoples perspective of Doomsday is from online which is not even remotely the same

E

Eldriken

People need to stop complaining about Doomsday. He was very fair in comparison to the likes of Zod, Flash, Bane, Batgirl, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, etc.

Yeah, he had a "get in for free" card with MB Venom, but it cost resources! Two hits of armor, travels almost full screen and is +6? Heck yeah. Just be glad it wasn't +7. Then you couldn't backdash it at all, I believe. Yes, its phantom hitbox was super dumb. Can't argue with that.

Being unable to block Earth Shake (excluding raw) came down to the individual and how much time they dedicated to the muscle memory and making good reads. If you can't block it, it's not the game's fault or Doomsday's; it's yours. l2block huehue

Did Doomsday have some stupid 50/50 guessing game that he kept you in all day? NOPE. Did he have any type of vortex that looped into itself? NOPE. Everything he could do was rather slow except for his d1. That was 6f. Almost any other button he pressed (normal, special input, etc) had forever and a day startup, was un-fucking-believably horrible on whiff, death on block, etc. Doomsday had two special moves that were useful: MB Venom and Earth Shake. Everything else was garbage. GARBAGE.

Supernova? MB Supernova? lul Just dash forward, dash backwards or MB b3. Up Venom? MB Up Venom? lul Block for a full combo punish.

"But, but...HE COULD REVERSE YOUR WAKEUP IN THE CORNER! =( =(" As if his corner game was dumber than some of the others in this game. >_> Flash, Wonder Woman, Martian, etc. Protip: You don't ALWAYS have to wake up!

People hate this character because he's so basic but so good at being effective despite lacking a large portion of the tools the top tier characters have. It isn't the player's fault that only two of his specials are good and complement his playstyle. It's how he was made.

tl;dr: Stop complaining that Doomsday is braindead, a potato, etc.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
People need to stop complaining about Doomsday. He was very fair in comparison to the likes of Zod, Flash, Bane, Batgirl, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, etc.

Yeah, he had a "get in for free" card with MB Venom, but it cost resources! Two hits of armor, travels almost full screen and is +6? Heck yeah. Just be glad it wasn't +7. Then you couldn't backdash it at all, I believe. Yes, its phantom hitbox was super dumb. Can't argue with that.

Being unable to block Earth Shake (excluding raw) came down to the individual and how much time they dedicated to the muscle memory and making good reads. If you can't block it, it's not the game's fault or Doomsday's; it's yours. l2block huehue

Did Doomsday have some stupid 50/50 guessing game that he kept you in all day? NOPE. Did he have any type of vortex that looped into itself? NOPE. Everything he could do was rather slow except for his d1. That was 6f. Almost any other button he pressed (normal, special input, etc) had forever and a day startup, was un-fucking-believably horrible on whiff, death on block, etc. Doomsday had two special moves that were useful: MB Venom and Earth Shake. Everything else was garbage. GARBAGE.

Supernova? MB Supernova? lul Just dash forward, dash backwards or MB b3. Up Venom? MB Up Venom? lul Block for a full combo punish.

"But, but...HE COULD REVERSE YOUR WAKEUP IN THE CORNER! =( =(" As if his corner game was dumber than some of the others in this game. >_> Flash, Wonder Woman, Martian, etc. Protip: You don't ALWAYS have to wake up!

People hate this character because he's so basic but so good at being effective despite lacking a large portion of the tools the top tier characters have. It isn't the player's fault that only two of his specials are good and complement his playstyle. It's how he was made.

But he IS a potato? Listen I don't have much experience with Injustice at a higher level, when I played Injustice, I didn't even really fully grasp frame data. However looking back on it, Doomsday almost looks like what on release Bojutsu was like. Good tools and very easy to grasp what youre supposed to do. While doomsday only has a couple of these good tools, these good tools are REALLY good. Not broken mind you considering we need to change our perception of what being broken is considering the game we're talking about, but still very strong. You seemed to have needed solid spacing and fundamentals. You could also compare him to current Possessed kenshi. Possessed isn't a hard character to grasp but as you get to higher levels you realize some things that caught lower level people/offline just isn't going to work and you need to add some stuff along with it. I'd be fine if Doomsday came back, he seemed like a fun character and is personally my favorite Superman villain. That's my two cents.

E

Eldriken

But he IS a potato? Listen I don't have much experience with Injustice at a higher level, when I played Injustice, I didn't even really fully grasp frame data. However looking back on it, Doomsday almost looks like what on release Bojutsu was like. Good tools and very easy to grasp what youre supposed to do. While doomsday only has a couple of these good tools, these good tools are REALLY good. Not broken mind you considering we need to change our perception of what being broken is considering the game we're talking about, but still very strong. You seemed to have needed solid spacing and fundamentals. You could also compare him to current Possessed kenshi. Possessed isn't a hard character to grasp but as you get to higher levels you realize some things that caught lower level people/offline just isn't going to work and you need to add some stuff along with it. I'd be fine if Doomsday came back, he seemed like a fun character and is personally my favorite Superman villain. That's my two cents.
You didn't need spacing at all with Doomsday. All you needed was meter (MB Venom), a prayer (not really) and possibly even his trait (depends who you're fighting). If you have the meter, your spacing is pretty much auto-completed by using MB Venom. :p

MB Venom is one of peoples' biggest issue with him outside of Earth Shake. It's like "auto-footsies". Kinda like how Kotal's b1 (used to be, anyway) and d4 were "auto-footsie" tools.

CrazyFingers

You didn't need spacing at all with Doomsday. All you needed was meter (MB Venom), a prayer (not really) and possibly even his trait (depends who you're fighting). If you have the meter, your spacing is pretty much auto-completed by using MB Venom. :p

MB Venom is one of peoples' biggest issue with him outside of Earth Shake. It's like "auto-footsies". Kinda like how Kotal's b1 (used to be, anyway) and d4 were "auto-footsie" tools.
EXCELLENT POINT. What I'm trying to get at is he's a potato up to a point.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
If Doomsday is using mb shoulder to get in using the armor you can just mb b3 him into a full combo. Every character in the game can do this. If ypu dont like that than just pushblock the 2nd hit of mb shoulder after he uses his meter. When hes up close you just have to again, learn to block earthshaker and not press a button after he spends meter for plus frames. Learn when it is your turn, if you refuse to respect plus 6 after shoulder than tough shit. Like Eldriken said, D1 after mb shoulder is NOT a block string and this is not stupid ass mkx where you need resources to backdash so its a guessing game for both players between backdash or no backdash. If doomsday reads the backdash he can raw shoulder or dash forward D1, both of which can be interupted by buttons. 100% fair, get over it

Tweedy

Noob
I feel like Possessed is only called potato, because I win with him, and then people go into practice mode and do his combos, which aren't very hard.

In a lot of match ups vs good players, you have to be very resourceful to win with Kenshi in general. No one really understands that because they just don't play the game and hate on me IMO. Things aren't so potato when your D1 is getting low profiled and your meaties are not the best. Easy combos is the last concern when playing this and probably any fighting game at a high level. His armor is def potato but you're not gonna kill people with 13% for a bar.

Due to having a 13 frame D4 and 13 frame mid, Kenshi has to block first very often from sweep range. Characters like HQT and Scorpion are very potato in this instance, where Kenshi again, has to be pretty resourceful and patient.

Potato areas = armor and combos

Non-potato areas = counter-poking, meaties, sweep range footsies, basically everything besides armor and combos, with the latter having nothing to do with high level play.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy

Leave Bane alone. FAIR AND BALANCED

CrazyFingers

I feel like Possessed is only called potato, because I win with him, and then people go into practice mode and do his combos, which aren't very hard.

In a lot of match ups vs good players, you have to be very resourceful to win with Kenshi in general. No one really understands that because they just don't play the game and hate on me IMO. Things aren't so potato when your D1 is getting low profiled and your meaties are not the best. Easy combos is the last concern when playing this and probably any fighting game at a high level. His armor is def potato but you're not gonna kill people with 13% for a bar.

Due to having a 13 frame D4 and 13 frame mid, Kenshi has to block first very often from sweep range. Characters like HQT and Scorpion are very potato in this instance, where Kenshi again, has to be pretty resourceful and patient.

Potato areas = armor and combos

Non-potato areas = counter-poking, meaties, sweep range footsies, basically everything besides armor and combos, with the latter having nothing to do with high level play.
Hence the phrase 'to a point' you can't tell me you playing against someone who doesn't know the matchup isn't a potato time for you. However, like I said, you get higher up and you have a strong but not really potato character. Doomsday, probably a little more on the spud side but I think the comparison still stands strong.

Tweedy

Noob
Hence the phrase 'to a point' you can't tell me you playing against someone who doesn't know the matchup isn't a potato time for you. However, like I said, you get higher up and you have a strong but not really potato character. Doomsday, probably a little more on the spud side but I think the comparison still stands strong.
Idk I feel like that's with any character. Possessed is just a bit more obscure than most variations I think. It also takes a bit of lab time to fully understand. A lot of people who complain about my Possessed in stream chats do not actually play the game, so that's all that really needs to be said about that. Low demon being a true 50/50 is like saying that Scorpion's F4 is unreactable. I'd say that low demon is easier to react to though tbh.

Alien had relatively fast normals that went way too far, like his D4, S2, B3, F4, J4, J2. He had mixes on top of mixes that could not be fuzzied or reacted to. If you ever blocked his shit and moved, he could EX flip for 30%+ into more pressure. That was super potato. To me Possessed is the opposite of that. He has the panic button armor, but it's like a nicotine patch at best in comparison.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
@Eldriken Doomsday was fair compared to the top tier, but let's not pretend that his trait or the air grab weren't great as well.

He was just outside of the top 10 for me imo, and was easily a viable character.

E

Eldriken

@Eldriken Doomsday was fair compared to the top tier, but let's not pretend that his trait or the air grab weren't great as well.

He was just outside of the top 10 for me imo, and was easily a viable character.
I don't consider his trait a special. His trait was great versus most of the cast for sure. But some characters made it useless. =(

Air Snatch is great too since it's like 99% invincible. Only attack I can think of in the game that beats it is Batman's air sparkles.

Yeah but matchup knowledge isn't something you can judge/balance a character on. If the opponent doesn't know the matchup everything gets easier for every single character. That's on them being a potato not you.

CrazyFingers

Yeah but matchup knowledge isn't something you can judge/balance a character on. If the opponent doesn't know the matchup everything gets easier for every single character. That's on them being a potato not you.
I didn't say we should base the balance on that, I don't even think Possessed is THAT good and I also don't equate a potato character with an unbalanaced character. Hell I don't even think playing a potato of a character is a BAD thing. So what if your character plays like a potato? At the end of the day we're all just playing the game. Some characters are harder than others, that's just what happens.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
I don't consider his trait a special. His trait was great versus most of the cast for sure. But some characters made it useless. =(
I suppose by the traditional definition, trait is not technically a special move. But considering that it was unique to just Doomsday, I still think it's safe to say it was a good part of his arsenal.

E

Eldriken

I suppose by the traditional definition, trait is not technically a special move. But considering that it was unique to just Doomsday, I still think it's safe to say it was a good part of his arsenal.
Agreed.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
I find the complaints of Doomsday pretty funny. From what I remember when Injustice was at it's prime, I didn't see these complaints. You guys make him sound like he was top 5. Better yet, Did any of you have him in your top 10? I sure didn't...

not complaining but he kinda was I enjoy playing against a skilled Doomsday honestly

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Yeah Im not sure how he would fit into a Brainiac story either I was just talking gameplay.

As for earthshaker, D1xxES is the easiest to block by far, I can block it probably 90% of the time offline, its just muscle memory, same with F2 and B1xxES. Raw ES is the hardest to block. And yeah I really dont have a problem with mb shoulder except for those times where you do jump it and it hits after you cross to the other side. As for jump ins everyones could be made to be ambiguous, thats not Doomsday specific. I think most peoples perspective of Doomsday is from online which is not even remotely the same
I'm aware the ambiguous shit was widespread but his body splash covered like 1/4 of the screen and any part could hit you...some Ambiguous stuff you kinda can get a hunch but with Doomsday, it's just praying you block correctly.

Earthshaker was a bitch from my experience. D1~earthshaker bodied characters with poor wakeups. I played Batman so I was a victim. Hated that shit.