What's new

Tech - Summoner The Unexplored Meta of Summoner Quan

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Theory:
When Quan has Puggles out he can choose to release it even during an attack animation. This means if you time it properly you can punish any armor attempts, through most gaps in strings/specials, by releasing it just before their armor attack hits you. The next hit of your string/special combined with the bat will break their armor, and launch for a combo.

Well, you might ask, why not just block and bait their armor instead? And the answer is very simple, this way you get to punish them if you make the right read but still keep your turn if you're wrong.

Anyone who knows the matchup knows Summoner is riddled with gaps now, so this is really useful to know. Off most useful strings it can punish every armor move, with just 1 hit of armor, but it does result in Quan having to cut his offense a little shorter than usual due to losing the bat.

This does open up a new meta though, where you can make your opponent so scared to armor you can get away with some crazy stuff. Like instead of going for a MbRune just do normal rune into a 50/50, the bat makes everything Quan does have to be respected.

Video:
Below is a little video showing this in action, vs Lao's spin, displaying all the most useful situations I could think of. I may have missed a few but the same theory applies to any gap in pretty much all strings or specials.

Last edited:
@The_Tile i wanted to say that I have seen a thread about it here long time ago, but then I actually found it - https://testyourmight.com/threads/stuffing-opponents-armour-punish-attempts.54227/
And it was YOU who posted it. But I guess it is needed to get some interest towards our character. Just like the ability to summon bat of off very high normal trance, it has been discussed before between us day 1 Summoner mains but wasn't properly brought to everyone's attention. Thanks again for doing it Tile)

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
@The_Tile i wanted to say that I have seen a thread about it here long time ago, but then I actually found it - https://testyourmight.com/threads/stuffing-opponents-armour-punish-attempts.54227/
And it was YOU who posted it. But I guess it is needed to get some interest towards our character. Just like the ability to summon bat of off very high normal trance, it has been discussed before between us day 1 Summoner mains but wasn't properly brought to everyone's attention. Thanks again for doing it Tile)
I guess the difference now though is the gap between ex rune when it's delayed.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Yeah Ive literally knew this since like, the first month of the games life haha. I shared it and no one, not even tourney-attending Quan mains have really used it in tourney or incorporated it into their game.

I've been re exploring a lot of old tech recently now we're a year into the games life and seeing what I can find. And, I've actually been finding some interesting discoveries so I'm just trying to get the Quanmunity back, especially after the mass-abandonment post-Summoner nerfs.

GGA Max

This is good. Will be cool if it becomes them meta...

I know for batman in igau he had a ton of gaps and stuff like 223's 2nd hit is a high... he could have parried in the gap or released bats. The meta never got there iirc.