What's new

The TYM Mortal Kombat 4 Thread!

I$AAC

Noob
Well I didn't see a MK4 thread on here so I figured I'd make one. This may have not been the best MK but dammit it has a special place in my heart!

Tim Static

Adminerator
Well I didn't see a MK4 thread on here so I figured I'd make one. This may have not been the best MK but dammit it has a special place in my heart!
yea same here. I got hired as the manager of my local putt-putt at the time MK4 Rv1.0 came out (and lots of other games, plus older MK's by that time too) The game was a total let down after UMK3 but it was fun.

and is still 100 times better than MKDA, MKD, MKA & MKvDC.

I$AAC

Noob
yea same here. I got hired as the manager of my local putt-putt at the time MK4 Rv1.0 came out (and lots of other games, plus older MK's by that time too) The game was a total let down after UMK3 but it was fun.

and is still 100 times better than MKDA, MKD, MKA & MKvDC.
IIRC UMK3 never really got off as much as other places did tourney level wise. It wasn't until some guymoved down from Chicago I think and taught everyone (including myself) how to play MK4. I wasn't in the "tourney scene" then but I was tourney level cause we practically had to be if we wanted to stay on the machine. But yeah Tampa was POPPIN for MK4 till the arcades dies and it died along with it =(

I$AAC

Noob
This list was taken from UltimateMK.com. Credit hanzo for this tier list:

Altough we will always encourage ppl to play the game with max dam ON due to the brokeness factor.

God tier:

01. Tanya
02. Scorpion
03. Reptile

Upper Tier:

04. Sub-Zero
05. Reiko
06. Fujin
07. Liu Kang
08. Jarek
09. Raiden

Mid tier.

10. Sonya
11. Quan Chi
12. Jax
13. Shinnok

Bottom tier:

14. Cage
15. Kai

That should be the corect placement.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I'm probably one of the few that actually enjoyed MK 4 more then the average MK fan lol. Besides, after playing Deception and MKA... MK4 doesn't see so broken lol.

I loved the MAX damage personally, but I know not everyone feels the same way about that.

Although, MK4 wasn't really "full 3D" you had the option to sidestep via a button or double tap run, but primarily a 2D fighter....MKDC was more 3D then MK4 was and that game played primarily 2D most of the time being 2.5D. For sure. Unless you're talking 3D graphically...which for the timeline, it looked cool but now rather inferior. Although saying MK 4 was better then MKvs.DCU is a stretch...especially sales wise and popularity wise lol..

I love using Fujin, Scorpion, Reptile and Sub-Zero. I still play MK4 for N64 from time to time, IMO the best home port out of PC or PSX.

MKF30

Broken in terms of glitches & Max Damage incorporating apart of it, you also know about the reptile infinite and corner ones right? The video was posted on ultimate wayy back by someone... MK 4 has it's share of infinites too(but they're harder then the 3D games no doubt)

That aside, some people believe the MD is busted(I'm not one of them though, I like it honestly...)

It is a stretch, MKDC was way more successful, anticipated, better and more tournament worthy then MK4 ever was....

Sales aside(I think it's safe to say every other MK game sold better then MK 4 did) so I'll just forget that.

MK4 was hot like what? When it first came out, my local arcades had them(one of them still I think) and nobody was ever on them. Mk2 and UMK3 though...tons of people on them.

the game is fine offline, I didn't see MK4 at NEC lineup... but the other 3D games were.

Don't get me wrong, I like MK4 but to say it's way better then MKDC? I'd respectfully disagree. I'd play either though lol

MK9

Noob
once again MKF please do not post on a topic you lack info on. How is max damage broken?? it is what saved the game, because you great midway team rushed the game out so fast that is wasnt even close to complete on release. Since you claim to have so much mk knowledge what was the universal infinite and how was it performed in rev 1.0 , which pretty much was a beta version cause it didnt even have an into screen.

mk4 was also what started there stupid universal air combo shit. They should have tweaked that game instead of retooling with mkda.

MKF30

I never said MD was broken, I said OTHERS said it was...you need to read before you post seriously...

I know about the SUJK infinites that aren't easy to do but they're still infinites regardless, that is all. Well, we all know Midway rushed their games and didn't care to fix things...unlike WB.

MK9

Noob
you didnt see mk4 at NEC cause there is no real port of it, if u say N64 just leave and stop with the home version trash shit, like MKT was also. IF THERE IS A LOGIC BOARD MADE FOR A GAME THAT IS THE ONLY WAY IT IS TO BE PLAYED.

MKF30

Umm where do you see MK D? I said MD=Max Damage...omg lol

I was referring to MK4 in general not being hyped for, despite version but obviously nobody is going to bring a PC or PSX version. MK4 wasn't there also because nobody cares about it remotely...MKT sucked on both systems, the game was only playable thru shutting off aggressor and not picking broken characters or bosses.

Am I wrong? lol I'd much rather play UMK3>>MKT

On my reading comment I was referring to THIS when I said initially, here I'll quote myself for you ;)

That aside, some people believe the MD is busted(I'm not one of them though, I like it honestly...)

Read this please ^.

Like I said, read more carefully next time before saying I said something I never did to begin with.

MK9

Noob
thats because there is no way to play it, there is no mame version of mk4, so there is no way to practice mk4.

MKF30

Actually, people have told me Scheiss..."MK4 is a broken pos game" flat out...pretty cut and dry to me. Not most or hardly anyone from these sites but some people regardless of casual or hardcore fighter enthusiasts on several gaming sites have bitched to me about MD being busted because they hate the game whenever I bring up MK games, I'm not saying I agree...I don't, just saying. Ever go on IGN, GS, gamefaqs etc? lol You'd be surprised what people say about MK and other games in general....that are beyond wrong. Then there's youtube lol so .I take it with a grain of salt. Either way, MK4 isn't exactly a first pick for MK games though at the end of the day.

For what it's worth, in a high level match I highly doubt you'll be seeing people pull off 70%+ consistently. I've always liked the MAX Damage, and hey 45%-50% is fine with me lol. I just think scrubs hate on it because they don't "like it"

Yeah, you know with the speed factor I'm really surprised nobody including the MK team hasn't even brought up MK4 being compared in that respect. MK4 is super fast but like you said the N64 port is ridiculously fast...played it the other day actually lol. Still, I'd rather play MK4 N64 port over MKG any day...It's almost as if the MK team just wants to forget MK 4 ever happened in a way lol.

Johnny_Cage

Earthrealm's biggest STAR
MK4 reamins one of my favorite MK games. It is also kinda competitive, unlike the later MK games. And Johnny had a great funny arcade ending, Jarek/Jax too, and Tanya. Fatalities were bloody and stages were dark and gritty. It is extremely underrated. I wish the PC version supported online play...

MKF30

Well, Scheisse you can believe what you want...you're wrong if you think I'm "lying or making that up" obviously you've never been on those random forums and seen ridiculously ignorant posts...

I've played and followed every MK game my whole life so I'm so sure I don't know what I'm talking about...but much like you I've just yet to go to a tournament. And you should know I understand MK more then you think ;) I play them all, not just one game...like some people on here.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Yeah sorry, I apologize for that.
I played this pretty thoroughly about 2 years ago for a few weeks with a friend of mine on N64 online (pj emu). It plays really good and extremely fast (difference between UMK3 vs MKT fast). I really loved the speed of the game and I think we should try to get some players together for it online sometime if we can gather enough. It's actually a really fun game and I think if more people played it, they would see that the game plays a lot like UMK3 and I'm sure it would be refreshing for a lot of players to have a 'new' spin on an old game now that the old MK4 bias is dead.... right? It's dead, right?

<tangent>
Concerning tournaments, I know there is a MK4 board floating around the tournament scene in the multi-MK cabinet. I have been buying tons of boards lately and testing different video converters for Jamma output on different styles of tvs. If they don't want to take a cabinet to a tournament for MK4, all they would need to do is bring some sticks, a power supply, a Jamma harness/kick harness and the converter to hook it up to almost any semi-current tv. I have only tested with MK1 and MK2, but I just won a UMK3 board on ebay today and I'll try that out as soon as I get it. They should both work fine too, they adapters work for everything.

Basically I think it comes down to it being a huge pain in the ass to lug a cabinet to a tournament for a game that "maybe" some people will play and if the cabinet is already there, why not play a game that everyone wants to play already? I hope to see some MK4 at some of these tourneys and I have brought it up before. Hopefully the ability to play it on a tv will help a little.

I have the labeled harnesses, converters and cables, and I'm sure the tourney regulars could MAYBE get a couple sticks together. It won't cost much to mail this shit back and forth before tourneys either, probably 5$ each way or something.
</tangent>

Anyway, we should get the triforce to scrape together a MK4 game night or tournament sometime. I'm down for it and I know a couple of players on CMK that are as well. Maybe peak some interest.
Oh brother, i'd love to have the energy to break this post down, but i am way too tired. FUCKIN EH bro. I'd love to get into playing this game seriously again, just for the simple fact its still pwns the last 10-11 years of MK, hard. I've also discussed getting an MK stick made for PS2 and N64 for MKT's and MK4, so this would be the shit! I'd have no problem lugging an N64 to tourneys to bust out MK4. But i'd love to get some kind of "arcade-in-a-box" for MK4 and play that arcade board.

And to be honest, of all the MK's i ever played, i was better at MK4 than any other MK. Sadly. lol

PS- The "Tricforce"....i like that. I am glad someone else is using it besides me :D

MKF30

You are right MKF30. Perfectly correct, always.
"I'm not perfect, just often misunderstood" ;)

(like REY, DEMON, MINION quotes) :)

I always thought that roof top stage with the lightning was going to have a stage fatality in MK 4(Raiden's roof stage) But IMO in terms of stages, the fan stage was always epic!

Noob
I have recommended that if we were to bring MK4 to a tournament, that the 2 best ways of doing it would be:

1. Emulated on N64 via PC
2. Emulated on DC via PC with all MK Gold characters banned

this also makes the game stick and pad accessible.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I have recommended that if we were to bring MK4 to a tournament, that the 2 best ways of doing it would be:

1. Emulated on N64 via PC
2. Emulated on DC via PC with all MK Gold characters banned

this also makes the game stick and pad accessible.
#2 should never be allowed at a tourney. MKG just plays so different imo. I'd much rather play it on a N64 w/ pad lol

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Isn't this thread in the wrong forum? Unless I remember incorrectly... this was the first 3D game?

MKF30

Isn't this thread in the wrong forum? Unless I remember incorrectly... this was the first 3D game?
MK4 was the first 3D MK game in terms of "graphics" graphically updated but was primarily a 2D game/gameplay wise. You could sidestep in 3D by tapping the run button twice to be more specific on how to side step via 3D movement. It really was only good for dodging projectiles. The AI was cheesy with it though lol.

You know I was watching the SSF4 vids on 3DS today as a launch title game, I soo hope they put MK4 on the 3DS or the 3D games preferably MK9 and MK4. I'd hope to see one of those personally. If the 3DS can handle SSF4...I'm sure it can handle MK4, but not sure about MK9....