What's new

The TYM/Community Love Thread

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I know there’s been a lot of hatin’ lately, so this thread is all about love:

List one thing (or a few things) you love about someone here, or about someone/people in the NRS community.

So I find this community in late 2011, lurked until early 2012.. And it’s been a bunch of years of fun and memorable moments.

Just wanted to say that everyone I’ve met or hung with in person has been awesome.. You’ve all been super welcoming and it’s great getting to know all of you.

Tom even though we joke a lot, you were actually the reason I joined TYM. I always dug your passion (even when I thought you were out of your mind ;)) and it’s always fun to see your number in my phone.

@STORMS I love that you were passionate enough about the community to provide (and keep providing) a place for people to hang and connect. At the end of the day, this community would have been a different place if we’d never had TYM back when MK9 dropped.

Pig you’re a true bro and it’s been fun to talk and laugh about so many things together. Right or wrong you always go in 100% and I love that about you.

To everybody in the Skype call, you’ve provided about 10 years worth of laughs and a million silly, crazy, and insightful moments. Love you guys both for the humor and for the deep discussions on all kinds of subjects. And for always been willing to help each other out even when it’s tough love.

P.S. Love you WoundCowboy for falling asleep at the end of every call.

To everybody who’s posted tech, guides, MU info, and helpful tips of the years, the community also wouldn’t have been the same w/o you guys. From the tourney players to the hard workers like Somberness, Laos, CrazyFingers, and even Doombawkz you crazy fool. I love that people have always been super passionate about their tech here (even when they might be wrong, haha — Shoryuken’s prison) and it’s been fun watching you all debate, improve each other’s stuff, and display some of the discoveries in tournaments.

@ETC Mcfly love your unending passion for MK and all your crazy combo videos over the years. Also thanks for that studio tour.. I love how friendly and welcoming you and the whole Omen of Sorrow team were, and I also love that you guys are making something you’re passionate about. Wishing you dudes the best of luck with the release.

Compton you helped get our scene through a time when we weren’t even sure if we’d have a scene at all at some majors. I love that you were so passionate about hosting locals, and making sure that you were set up to share so many hours of tourney and casual play with all of us. Was cool to see your passion carry on to ESL and I dig that you’ve done so much for both your local scene and the national one without calling attention to yourself or asking for much.

Mr Aquaman you’ve been ride or die for this community and I love that. It’s easy for people in any community to criticize what they don’t like; but there are only a few people who will step up and put their money, time and resources to work to create something for others and you are one of them. Always easier said than done, and I love that you’ve shown so much enthusiasm even at times when there’s not much else going on. Much respect.

And to all the competitors from 2011 til now, I’ve loved watching the blood, sweat, and tears you’ve put in to level up, get better, and work towards your goals. It’s been truly inspirational, and it’s that much sweeter to watch someone succeed when you know how much work they’ve put into it. I really believe that the work it takes to compete is a metaphor for overcoming the other challenges you face in life. No matter what happens, and what we go through, no matter the salt and tears, I will always love this community deep down, and all of you.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I love everyone equally. Meaning... I hate you all!

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Excellent read @CrimsonShadow , and I personally wanna thank YOU. Ever since I got here, there were a ton of times when I was so impressed with your maturity, cool attitude and wisdom you've brought to discussions and threads. I got nothing but respect to you dude.

@Mr Aquaman I admire and respect you for the same reasons that Crimson pointed out.

Also @HappyPow I can't thank you enough for how you helped me to get prepared to Yuzu Cup 2 last year for MKX and for learning so much from you not just regarding Reptile in MKX, but also on Fighting Games in general and even tournies. Thank you so much dude.

And to everyone I met at Yuzu Cup, with the likes of St9rm, Taco, @IrishMantis , @YUZU_RZA and others, all of you guys are awesome and it's great to be with you, and I hope it won't take that long for me to once again meet any of you as well as others in person.

Respect to all of you dudes :)

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I love @Mr Aquaman as I feel he is one of the true community leaders. Unlike some top players and personalities there is little shade thrown by him, he is positive and encouraging. He is actively expanding the NRS scene in positive ways with his work at Stream.Me building the 1st true online competitive scene in NRS and maybe FGC history. A decade from now War of the Gods / Kombat Kup could be as big as a major due to the continued growth of internet technology and netcode and stuff. I expect Sream.Me is thinking of the long game were eventually it will host an actual major with multiple games all online. He's a innovator, he is a positive force among us, he contributes, he is funny as fuck and he is part of a small elite group in the scene that is all about positive vibes, expansion of the scene and most importantly.. .. . inclusion. We need more like him.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Juggs and Confirm used to hate each other. Now they love each other (including blowjobs)
Damn there is something wrong at tym lul
It’s nearly impossible for me to “hate” someone I’ve never met, and/or has had no personal effect on my real life. I definitely didn’t like GC and he didn’t like me. But never hated him, I just thought he was a dick. But I’m a dick too so I guess that’s how you start a friendship, lol.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You hate Juggs? That’s gotta be a sin tbh. Even the least straightest men on the planet love them some bounce bounce jiggle bounce bounce bounce jiggle bounce.

Yo I have a very strong inclination to make this MAX weird but I don’t want to ban myself.

skahwt

Noob
When I saw the announcement trailer for the original MK9, it was like discovering an old friend. I'm old enough to remember when a match of MK cost a quarter. The first time I played the game I picked Scorpion and beat the AI, my friend told me the fatality input, and my character proceeded to pull off his hood, revealing his skull, and breathed fire onto my vanquished opponent and reduced them to a charred skeleton. I was hooked.

When the reboot was announced I found the website Mortal Kombat Online. It is a solid, small site, but mostly talks about lore and story. A couple months after I bought MK9 I found Test Your Might. It opened my eyes to the complexity of fighting games and introduced me to competitive play. I'm strictly a casual player, so I've primarily been a lurker, but this thread gives me an opportunity to say thanks to those who've helped me enjoy playing MK and Injustice as much as I have the past seven years.

I'm a casual player, who spends most of his time in Ranked. I have neither the patience nor the skill (emphasis on the latter) to figure out the tech and the combos that are posted on this website. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to the character and strategy forums. Special kudos the Harley Quinn community. @Laos_boy @SaltFace NS we've never spoken but your contributions to the forum and your streamed matches have helped me take my Harley Quinn to abysmal to approaching mediocrity.

I think the first tournament I saw was Evo 2011 where I tuned in for the finals between Perfect Legend and Reo. It was amazing to see two people play the same game I'd been playing, but make it look like a completely different experience than I am capable of having. I respect the tournament players on this site for loving something enough to get really good at it, and having the courage to put the rest of their life on the back burner to pursue their dreams. There are too many competitors for me to list, but thank you to all for dedicating yourself to these games and providing entertainment to thousands of casuals like myself.

I think it's inspiring that many competitive players have been able to parlay their love for these games into careers. Multiple people from this site, work for, or have worked for NRS, and many have discovered their talents as commentators and ambassadors.

I have never live commentated a sports game or video game tournament, but my job entails speaking in front of large groups of people and having to think and adjust on the fly. Those who have never had to do public speaking or commentating often underestimate how difficult it can be, and the skills that are required to do it well. @kitanaprime @Mr Aquaman kudos on the fantastic job you both do commentating the matches and adding an extra level of excitement. Your natural charisma and your ease on the mic make you both a great fit for the FGC, and will serve you well wherever life takes you.

When I first started following the NRS scene, with the exception of MLG and Evo, there were no official sponsors or streams. A small number of individuals stepped up to ensure that matches were streamed and the world could see our great games played at the highest level. A huge thank you to @Shock @Mikemetroid @Pig Of The Hut @Arturo and several others who at their own time at expense ensured that tournaments were streamed, and provided countless hours of entertainment to myself and thousands of others.

I'd be remiss if I failed to mention those who keep the lights on and perform the often thankless job of managing the site and community. @STORMS @CrimsonShadow @HellblazerHawkman and @dozens of others, thank you for your work supporting this community and this site.

Sorry about the novel. I've been lurking for so long I thought I should express my gratitude to those who've built this site and made the NRS scene and community great. Time to go back to the shadows. Thanks

Last edited: