What's new

The top 10 prediction thread

CCVengeance

The one guy hoping for Kai
My God you people are horrible.This thread is just for fun!You guys fail for flaming a dude that just wants to have some fun.
On Paper here are the top 10 so far:
1.Batman
2.Flash
3.Doomsday
4.Green Arrow
5.Cyborg
The rest in no particular order: Lex,Sinestro,Hawkgirl, and then everybody else.

Robotic Shark

you can never have too much honey
My God you people are horrible.This thread is just for fun!You guys fail for flaming a dude that just wants to have some fun.
On Paper here are the top 10 so far:
1.Batman
2.Flash
3.Doomsday
4.Green Arrow
5.Cyborg
The rest in no particular order: Lex,Sinestro,Hawkgirl, and then everybody else.
you misspelled Catwoman for number 2 and forgot the Flash

CCVengeance

Just so you know I put Batman in first because he looks the most versitile character so far with his offensive/Defensive trait,Mix-ups and gimmick potencial.
Flash second because his trait looks dangerous in the right hands.
Doomsday is third because he looks to have a solid tool for almost every situation.I believe Circus made an excellent post that details what seems to make him so good on paper.
Green Arrow and Cyborg are fourth and fitfh because their zoning looks top-notch and we havent seen many counters to this straight up zoning.I'll also add that maybe Deathstroke falls into this category with his unblockable proyectile trait.
Sinestro,Lex and MAYBE Hawkgirl look to have immpresive tools.The rest of the cast is still up in the air.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
As shite as I am at predicting this stuff:

uh.. Catwoman for number one because she looks fast as hell and krazy kombos?
I don't know, lots of people talk about zoning, so Deathstroke maybe?
People thought Cyborg was OP when we first saw his gameplay, so he can be 3?
Arrow or Flash for 4?

I mean, I don't really know how to do/justify this...

CCVengeance

This. The characters I like often turn out to be shit tier and I still use them, e.g. Jade, Baraka, Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, Evil Ryu, Paul (SFxT), Asuka (SFxT)...
In my case Every character I end up maining is always top tier.ALWAYS.It's not my fault if I like Kabal in MK9!

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
And i thought people would wait for the game to come out before we have another barrage of "top x" lists.

This community never fails to deliver!

Wigy

There it is...
Again, if you read the OP.. "I APPRECIATE THIS IS COMPLETELY POINTLESS AT THIS POINT"

CCVengeance

Seriously the innability of some people to even read the OP is ridiculous.
I wanna make a thoery tier list like the one people use for Marvel.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Arrow tier...:(

Also I did something awhile back on UMVC3. I had folks vote on the 12 newcomers to the game in a survey and honest to God use statistics called box and whisker plots to determine predicted tiers for us to review after the game came out to see how well we read things (which is MUCH harder in this case with no meter or damage info to go by).
Here is how it appears.

The way it works is you fill out the a numbered tier list survey. Just voting 1 to whatever in rank.

I take the MEDIAN and that is the middle of the box and whisker plot. The central number. Now here is where it gets really calculated though. I put all the voted ranks in order and take the median of the numbers on either side of the true median. You don't take the average here because outliers that are just like "Hsien Ko is number 1!!!" happen and throw off results. Just the median .

So what you get is a middle ground, and a box surrounding it that bridges several number ranks. The smaller the box the more generally sure folks are on the tier of a character. The wider the box the more uncertain folks appear to be on the character. If the median leans further to one side of the box than the other then its likely this character will move up a tier as more information comes about. Outliers are the dashes extending off the ends of the plot.

Here is how the Box and Whisker plots for Marvel turned out before launch.

Even before launch folks were predicting Vergil pretty heavily to be in a tier around number 1 in those 12 characters. Likely he would have ended up just as high had the ranking gone all the way from 1-50 and included the whole cast and not just the 12 newcomers. His median rank was around #2 but his voted tier ranking said he'd be around 4th to 1st in rank though.

Firebrand's median was so high that had more tech been discovered they would have increased his tier and narrowed his box. However, his matchups and damage were bad so his median began to shift down in his tier box and eventually his upper quartile median dropped too. Frank West's box later shrank and his median and upper and lower quartiles all shifted higher on the list as folks figured out how easy he was to level.

You get the idea of how these work now.

Something like this is actually pretty decent and If I could get a coder to generate me a site based on taking surveyed numbers and pumping them through to generate a graphic like this every month I could honest to god have a fairly accurate tier list generator for any fighting game that could evolve every month. Tiers aren't number rank. They are generally based on how good someone is with a character. Knowing in general that a character tends to hang around a certain rank number gives you an idea of how strongly they are built. Plus the outliers let you know that there are still players who think they can beast with them even if they aren't the norm.

If you guys wanna do something like this and then retake the survey after launch the comparative results might be interesting. The results on the pre launch survey would likely be all over the fucking place and on the post launch survey they would likely be laughable altogether, but they are great for looking back upon. Doing a survey like this yearly to tri monthly is acutally something I think communities might benefit from.

CCVengeance

Sorry i dont know how that works.:confused:
Anyway random tier ramblings incoming:
THis is all based on this week's Battle Arena:
-Batman and Flash continue to look like absolute monsters in this game.Motherf**king slow-down combos and juggles off a corner stage interaction?And thier combos look sexy as all f**k!Did you see how easy Bats got a super off his trait juggle?Mother of God....
-Green Lantern and Aquaman may not be the flashiest chracters but I see them and I see a bunch of potential.Both seem like a rushdown-zoner hybrid with with great tools for both.GL's AA looks ridiculous!
-Superman made GA's zoning look utterly pointless in the video....I'll really have to rethink if zoning really will be as overwhlming as I thought it was gonna be originally(at least for the first weeks).

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Sorry i dont know how that works.:confused:
LOL.
Its a statistics thing. I'm a hardcore number cruncher since I was actually a power plant technology engineer before going into Animation. Statistics had some things that I was really big into since predictable trending and data sets were the difference for me from happy industrial turbine to vibrating gonna shoot a turbine blade out the casing and kill us all sort of turbine. I was only an EOJ intern though. Never became a full operator. I left 3 semesters before graduation and before AEP could snatch me up permanent and went into a field that I cared more about.

Lets just say that if there is an accurate way to crunch numbers to determine tiers it aint averages. Its box and whisker plots. The first image shows how to read them. The thing is we have ZERO damage, priority, or meter data on how these characters operate so anything made right now is going to be wildly inaccurate and laughable by the time we could play for months and then comeback and resurvey a control population to get ACCURATE tier brackets.

Its fun and I may setup a document later for it though once this is out. It would definitely be accurate and if it was done frequently enough you could literally trend characters slowly rising in tiers or falling as tech and matchups are explored for them. Though doing it right now...yeah just for shits and giggles. We got nothing accurate enough to speculate on yet.

That said...arrow tier!

CCVengeance

Well I....you see.....okay I admit Math is my worst subject so,you know.:confused:
Instead I'll just put the characters in this categories:
Badass mofos:
-Batman
-Flash
-Doomsday
Well-Rounded:
-Wonder Woman
-Green Lantern
-Aquaman
-Superman
-Catwoman
-Green Arrow