What's new

The time travel in MK11 is distractingly, outrageously dumb

The story was just for the laughs, nothing serious. Was it entertaining? Hell yeah. I didn't like the premature death of Sonya though. But i had a great time. Graphically, it's the best story mode on a fighting game ever.

ScreamQueen

Rockin' Sindel since '95
I like the way it was shot and I was entertained, but a lot of it was very silly, the ending just plain sucks. And it's filled with questions where the answer is simply "Don't ask".

Where are all the other guys? and the other revenants? There's a war going on. If everything to this point is Kronika's doing, why is she only stepping into view NOW? the Elder Gods taken down in the space of a day is so weird, Raiden and Liu Kang can merge because reasons. Why did Kronika invite heroes? Raiden now has powers that could have prevented problems if he'd used them in earlier games? "YOU KILLED MILEENA?" (but now Ive forgotten about that), How did Liu simply "pull" Kitana back through for the ending, and if she still exists, then where is everyone else right now, because they must do too? It's endless.

It's entertaining and it looks good, but it's a mess. We know they can do better narratives. Ehh, maybe next time, I'm not broke up about it.

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
Y'all are way too extra about this. It was fun and stupid and what I want in an MK story: An excuse for some of my favorite characters to kick each other's ass and shoot one-liners at eachother. I went in expecting the entire story mode to be a glorified intro interaction.

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
Y'all are way too extra about this. It was fun and stupid and what I want in an MK story: An excuse for some of my favorite characters to kick each other's ass and shoot one-liners at eachother. I went in expecting the entire story mode to be a glorified intro interaction.

Well, if you take it that way good for you, to each his own. Me, personally, when I watch a movie or play a videogame story mode I'd like it to at least make sense.
Not that I expect Academy Awards level of writing everytime, of course, I'd settle for "dumb fun" in this case but this is so beyond stupid and badly written I'm amazed there's people that got paid more than I make in a year for it.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Well, if you take it that way good for you, to each his own. Me, personally, when I watch a movie or play a videogame story mode I'd like it to at least make sense.
Not that I expect Academy Awards level of writing everytime, of course, I'd settle for "dumb fun" in this case but this is so beyond stupid and badly written I'm amazed there's people that got paid more than I make in a year for it.
Precisely. Also, I dont want to be told there is a deep, rich, interesting story that a lot of work went into, and then not get that.

I never expected a deep intricate tale, but this story took away from the lore instead of adding.

And to the people that “turned of their brains and enjoyed it,” good for you guys. Im sorry that some of us enjoy steaks more than porkchops.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
As long as I turn my brain off and I stop comparing it to MKD Konquest mode I'll be fine.
Legitimately, if you turn your brain off the story was flashy and decent enough.
I just keep my standarts way too high because the potential of the MK universe is fucking huge and they somehow manage to ignore it every single time.
You’re only playing yourself

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I'm not trying to defend the story, as I didn't enjoy it a great deal, but as far as past versions of characters having an effect on current characters....

In theory, if Johnny from 20-30 years ago gets beat up or something, current day and age Johnny would have already healed from that. A scar makes sense to me, because that shit is permanent and isn't going anywhere. Broken bones and whatever else he may have experienced would have already healed by the time he's as old as current Cage.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Didn't think it was dumb just convoluted at times and if you haven't been following the MK mythos you'd be lost. Pretty much like everything with time travel, but still overall a great experience. I didn't feel the need for Kronika's creation honestly. They should have kept the Elder Gods as the top of the food chain honestly, the way they were written out of this one was pretty lame I thought. The Cage scar makes perfect sense, if you get badly hurt such as amputations, scarred or burned in the past obviously it'll leave a mark in the future. Even with the broken rib thing, it could still be painful in the future. I hurt my back a few years ago my right shoulder blade, it healed but it still hurts whenever I do heavy lifting, work out, etc.

It wasn't perfect but still eons better than any other FG story by far, not even debatable and even some other genres honestly. Get's at least a 8/10 from me.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I'm not trying to defend the story, as I didn't enjoy it a great deal, but as far as past versions of characters having an effect on current characters....

In theory, if Johnny from 20-30 years ago gets beat up or something, current day and age Johnny would have already healed from that. A scar makes sense to me, because that shit is permanent and isn't going anywhere. Broken bones and whatever else he may have experienced would have already healed by the time he's as old as current Cage.
But then why was old Kano getting tossed around by phantom kicks while Sonya pushed young Kano's shit in?

They SPECIFICALLY went out of their way to say "these are the rules of how it works" in that scene, too.