What's new

The time travel in MK11 is distractingly, outrageously dumb

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I'm still digesting all my feelings about the MK story mode, but the first thing I had to get off my chest is, holy fucking shit is the time travel in MK11 ever fucking dumb.

I know, MK isn't supposed to be the height of sci-fi, it's just a cheesy action movie. But this was a whole new level of stupid. I wasn't expecting 12 Monkeys, Primer, or Lost. I wasn't expecting intricate internal consistency. I was just expecting a bare minimum amount of sense. And this is not that. Shit, MK9 looks like it was written by astrophysicists by comparison. Let's break down just how outrageously dumb it is.

#1. "If the past self is injured or killed, the present self will be as well."

OK game, I'm gonna stop you right there. This is a really dumb way for time travel to work in a story.

The game's logic (what little there is of it) is that if Johnny's face is grazed by a bullet in the past, in the future he'll have a scar. Because the past and present aren't two different characters, they are the exact same character, co-existing. But why does that only happen in relation to bad events (e.g. injuries and deaths)? If past Johnny and present Johnny are the same character, then EVERY SINGLE THING that happens to past Johnny should be affecting present Johnny. Not just wounds and scars.

If past Johnny is forming all sorts of new memories (in the future) that future Johnny never had, it should be rewriting future Johnny's memories on a moment to moment basis. His personality should be in constant flux. In fact, everything should be in constant flux. If Past Johnny has the power to alter what happens to future Johnny through time and space, then anything that happens to him should have a butterfly effect on EVERYTHING that happened in the intervening 20 years. And I mean EVERYTHING. Themselves, other characters, the world they inhabit.

But wait a second... if a past self dying is very bad for a future self... then shouldn't a past self LIVING be equally as bad for a DEAD future self?

Shouldn't Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kitana, Jade, and Kabal being brought back from the past -- and saved from death in MK9 -- mean their Revenants instantly get wiped out of existence? Since time was altered and their deaths were prevented, there's no reason for the Revenants to exist anymore! So why do they continue to exist?! Why? Why? I don't understand. Why? Why is this so mind-bogglingly stupid?

#2. Stop hitting yourself.

But OK, we're committed to this stupid premise that for some reason injuries and deaths are tracked cross-time and space, while literally nothing else is. OK. And we see a strikingly visual example of this during Sonya's fight scene with both past and future Kano. OK, game. OK. We're committed.

Except... wait a second... if hitting a younger self injures the older self... how can old Johnny... beat... younger Johnny...? How can Hanzo Hasashi beat Scorpion? How can Jax, Revenant Liu Kang, and Kung Lao do ANYTHING to their younger selves?! Shouldn't fighting your own younger self be like fighting a 1v2, because not only are they whooping your ass, but you're also whooping your own ass? Every time you throw a punch at your younger self, it should send YOU flying back too. Except it doesn't. There are so many moments in the story where we see both the young self and the old self of a character on screen at the same time, and plain as day the young self getting injured has zero impact on the old self.

Where are all the scenes of Revenant Liu Kang, Kung Lao, and Kitana randomly flying around because their younger selves got punched or kicked? Nowhere, because it would look fucking dumb, because it IS fucking dumb.

Not only is the premise dumb as balls... but the writers aren't even committed to it. They just randomly pick and choose when they want the "rules" to work, and when they don't. So as a result, when Sonya shoots Kano, I'm not sitting there thinking "wow Sonya is so clever, she out-witted Kano and beat him at his own game." It's a huge, dramatic moment, the first time she's killed him since 1995, and instead I'm sitting there trying to figure out why previous scenes played out completely differently.

#3. Time God Liu Kang

And then they give up completely when they decide that Raiden + Liu Kang = Time Immunity, because... reasons.

We've seen first hand that Raiden is EXTREMELY not time immune. Kronika herself has told us that Liu Kang is not time immune. But them joining forces somehow results in magical time fuckery immunity? That is the most random ass-pull superpower I've ever seen, an almost literal deus ex machina, all because the writers had an ending in mind and didn't know how to have Liu Kang fight through it.

That's so lazy. Especially because there were ways to do the exact same thing without introducing nonsense into the plot. Fuck, just establish that Kronika's crown makes the wearer immune, and have Liu Kang break off a piece of it when he breaks into her chamber at the end. Kronika is immune to time shit, her crown increases her power, so it kinda sorta makes sense that maybe it helps someone be immune to time shit just like her. Bingo bango, problem solved in a way that makes a bare minimum amount of sense. But no, let's introduce a brand new "rule" to the time travel logic, right before it's time for the climax. That's obviously much better.

#4. So why DID Kronika bring back all the good guys?

Raiden and Liu Kang I get, I suppose, because apparently their ultimate battle of ultimate destiny is supposed to buy her enough time to enact her plan, blah blah blah. But Kung Lao, Kitana, Jade, Jax? If any of their younger selves die, she'll be left without an army. And as for Johnny and Sonya, sure they might not be insta-kill-a-Revenant buttons like the others, but there was never really a chance of them joining Kronika. So again, why are they brought back? Is Kronika NOT in control of who she brings back? But then if she's really been at it for hundreds/thousands times like she tells Raiden, that means there must have been a timeline at some point where she didn't bring back Raiden and Liu Kang, meaning they didn't split the forces of good, meaning the forces of good should have vanquished her a long time ago? Why... does it all make... so little sense? Why...?

Fuck. It's so dumb. It's so god damn dumb. This might legitimately be one of THE dumbest time travel plots I've ever seen in my life. The rules don't just not make any sense, they don't make any sense in ways that are inconsistent and contradictory, from chapter to chapter, scene to scene, which undermines ALL of the stakes and ALL of the drama the story is trying to establish. Because the time travel is ALL OVER this story. It's not like MK9 where one character travels in time and then there's some nifty butterfly effects, NO, literally the entire plot is time travel logic, and none of it holds up to even thirty second's worth of scrutiny.

I was dreading this from the moment we found out the story would involve time travel, but I could never have imagined it would be this bad.

Last edited:

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
1- Agreed completely, I was thinking the same while playing the game. As soon as they enstablished that stuff happening to past version refleted on to current versions, the whole basic of the plot went out of the window.
2- That is at least a bit justified. It's not like that if you took a punch 20 years ago you'd feel it today, so I think they can kinda get away with that.
3- agreed and not only that but how the power of a "lesser god" can even match against the power of someone who created the Elder Gods in the first place and got rid of them effortlessly at the start of the story is beyond me.
4- that's maybe the dumbest point in the story. She has a plan to restart the timeline so she brings to the present the only two guys she's sure will at least try to stop her. Because she's sure they'll bitch between themselves to death. Sure, why not. And while she's at it she bring a couple other good guys too, because reasons. And the thing that bugs me the most is that at different points it's shown she can just stop people in their tracks or make them disappear from the timeline if she wants. So fucking dumb.

I wasn't expecting RDR2 levels of writing but come on.

FaneBlackwing

Best in the West
I’m not sure, but this entire Kronika plotline felt like an excuse to reboot the series once more.
Which is a goddamn shame.

They were really building some cool things in this timeline. I feel like they did this because of the negative reception of MKX's story and the Kombat kid.

The problem wasn't their existence though, it was that MKX as a whole was basically poorly written. The Outworld Civil War was great, but they ended it abruptly and then after that the whole story just went to shit.

MK11 felt like they genuinely didn't care and wanted to take the easy way out of righting their wrongs by nuking the timeline they created to start over again. Wanna know a great way of righting wrongs? Look at Mileena from MK9 > MKX. Holy SHIT was that a massive improvement. She was just terrible in MK9 and they actually put time into the character and she became one of the best characters in the current timeline. She had reasonable motivations, you could empathize with her, and she was no longer one dimensional.

They really screwed the pooch with this game's story.

pure.Wasted

2- That is at least a bit justified. It's not like that if you took a punch 20 years ago you'd feel it today, so I think they can kinda get away with that.
OK, I see what you're saying, and that's a great point. So by that logic, Sonya vs Kano is actually the outlier, and Sonya punching young Kano shouldn't have had any effect on old Kano. Which is hilariously ironic because that's the scene they choose to say "thanks for reminding me of the rules," and that happens to be the scene that breaks ALL the rules.

I wasn't expecting RDR2 levels of writing but come on.
Thank you for saying that... I was kind of afraid everyone would say "it's just a fighting game lol don't worry about it." This is bad by fighting game standards that MK itself has set.

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
Thank you for saying that... I was kind of afraid everyone would say "it's just a fighting game lol don't worry about it." This is bad by fighting game standards that MK itself has set.

I feel the same way. I don't expect nothing deep or groundbreaking by an MK story mode, but at least something fun that makes sense. This is not only badly written but actually dumb, I honest to god don't understand how people who writes this stuff for a living can get away with it.

The old games (and MK9) were perfect in their simplicity. They had a lore, rules, character arcs and made sense. But ever since they started with these "cinematic story modes" they feel this urge to just go for the most bloated, dumb, nonsensical writing just for the cool action cutscene. And it really pisses me off because I grew up loving MKs lore.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Shouldn't Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kitana, Jade, and Kabal being brought back from the past -- and saved from death in MK9 -- mean their Revenants instantly get wiped out of existence? Since time was altered and their deaths were prevented, there's no reason for the Revenants to exist anymore! So why do they continue to exist?! Why? Why? I don't understand. Why? Why is this so mind-bogglingly stupid?
I think part of the point of MK11 was to kill off all of the revenants and reboot them as human characters. I was saying this was going to happen before the title was released and that was basically what occurred.

pure.Wasted

I think part of the point of MK11 was to kill off all of the revenants and reboot them as human characters. I was saying this was going to happen before the title was released and that was basically what occurred.
I mean, yeah, I was predicting (and dreading) that as well. But following the game's own logic, doing this should have been extremely easy. The moment the OGs showed up, the dead selves should have POOFed and disappeared. Right? If killing young Kano kills old Kano because now young Kano can't become old Kano, then Kung Lao surviving MK2 should have killed Revenant Kung Lao because young Kung Lao can't become Revenant Kung Lao anymore.

The MK11 story should have been as such:

Raiden, following MKX, becomes further tainted giving into madness completely taking complete rule over the realms in order to "save Earthrealm". When the realms rebel and he is unable to stop them, out of desperation, he releases Onaga setting off the events of MK deception within the framework of the new timeline.

FunnyMan

Noob
I enjoyed the story for what it was but actually had the OPPOSITE problem with the damage carrying over onto the future versions. Like why the hell was kano getting hurt by 90s kano getting his ribs broken and shit? They didn't heal over the course of 20 years? that doesn't make sense. them fighting their younger selves was fine with me because they'd have healed by the time they were their future selves. The Johnny scar made me laugh tho because like it's fucking mortal kombat???? If that left a scar then every single character should look like kabal at this point lol

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I agree. It doesn't have to be groundbreaking, it just has to make sense. Take Back to the Future for example. You can enjoy the story because the rules and goals are clear. And it's not rocket science, it's just... good writting.

Not only is the premise dumb as balls... but the writers aren't even committed to it. They just randomly pick and choose when they want the "rules" to work, and when they don't. So as a result, when Sonya shoots Kano, I'm not sitting there thinking "wow Sonya is so clever, she out-witted Kano and beat him at his own game." It's a huge, dramatic moment, the first time she's killed him since 1995, and instead I'm sitting there trying to figure out why previous scenes played out completely differently.
Yeah. The worst thing is that this is too noticeable.

The whole linear timeline is a mess. They could've avoived so much of this just by doing a "multiverse-timeline" kind of thing.

That scene where Geras freezes Liu Kang and Kung Lao... they are at his mercy, he could kill them right away. But no... because if Liu Kang dies, then Revenant Liu Kang dies. And Liu Kang is supposed to make it to the end, you know. It's like the ending was thought before the middle.

Raiden and Liu Kang I get, I suppose, because apparently their ultimate battle of ultimate destiny is supposed to buy her enough time to enact her plan, blah blah blah. But Kung Lao, Kitana, Jade, Jax? If any of their younger selves die, she'll be left without an army. And as for Johnny and Sonya, sure they might not be insta-kill-a-Revenant buttons like the others, but there was never really a chance of them joining Kronika. So again, why are they brought back? Is Kronika NOT in control of who she brings back? But then if she's really been at it for hundreds/thousands times like she tells Raiden, that means there must have been a timeline at some point where she didn't bring back Raiden and Liu Kang, meaning they didn't split the forces of good, meaning the forces of good should have vanquished her a long time ago? Why... does it all make... so little sense? Why...?

Fuck. It's so dumb. It's so god damn dumb. This might legitimately be one of THE dumbest time travel plots I've ever seen in my life. The rules don't just not make any sense, they don't make any sense in ways that are inconsistent and contradictory, from chapter to chapter, scene to scene, which undermines ALL of the stakes and ALL of the drama the story is trying to establish. Because the time travel is ALL OVER this story. It's not like MK9 where one character travels in time and then there's some nifty butterfly effects, NO, literally the entire plot is time travel logic, and none of it holds up to even thirty second's worth of scrutiny.

I was dreading this from the moment we found out the story would involve time travel, but I could never have imagined it would be this bad.
lol it's not even explained

Bring back Liu Kang! The guy kicked so much asses through the ages that someday he's gonna kick your ass.

Shao Kahn and the rest of her allies are killed/defeated mostly by the same people she brought back. WTF

There are no stakes, clear goals, rules, anything. MK9 did this way better.

As a villain, Kronika is kinda stupid. Reminds me of Amanda Waller in that Suicide Squad movie. "Hey let's hire Harley Quinn and Captain Boomerang in case SUPERMAN gets out of control".

Yeah, the story has become a “turn your brain off” sort of affair, which is a shame because the MK universe itself has tons of potential for interesting narratives to take place within it.
I agree. This breaks my heart.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
As long as I turn my brain off and I stop comparing it to MKD Konquest mode I'll be fine.
Legitimately, if you turn your brain off the story was flashy and decent enough.
I just keep my standarts way too high because the potential of the MK universe is fucking huge and they somehow manage to ignore it every single time.

Not knowing anything going into the story and having just completed it yesterday...yup, it was atrocious. New levels of bad. I'm almost tempted to put up a YouTube video MST3000-style dissecting all of the awfulness.

My favorite part was when young Johnny was kicked in the stomach they had it as if old Johnny was also kicked in the stomach simultaneously. There were also a lot of very awkward pauses and people standing around, like when Johnny was kidnapped by Kano and Kabal (why didn't they just kill him immediately?) or when Kano threatens to cut Johnny if Sonya breaks young Kano's neck, only to have him watch her and do nothing as she pulls out her gun, makes a quip, and then shoots him.

It goes on and on...

I actually liked the story. I thought it was better than MKX but not as good as MK9 (I'm a sucker for the classics). I like the fact that that they're telling their own new story, rather than retelling Deception or Armegeddon it any if that.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Was it explained why Rev Liu killing(stealing his soul)his young self didnt make him die also?

Also, no ones plot had resolution except Liu and Raiden. Thats a shitty story.

Im glad people are still shitting on this, inexcusably horrible. I would be so fucking embarrassed to have written this.

pure.Wasted

Was it explained why Rev Liu killing(stealing his soul)his young self didnt make him die also?
Uhh because... souls are uh... important... and it's not the young characters DYING that makes old characters disappear, it's their SOULS going away that's the real culprit...

Yeah... that's it.

Wait, then why did Kronika say "we can't kill Liu Kang and Kung Lao, because their Revenants will cease to exist"? Why didn't they just steal their souls right away? God fucking damn it.

Also, no ones plot had resolution except Liu and Raiden. Thats a shitty story.
That was really annoying for a while, but then I realized that it almost doesn't matter, because NRS did a hard reset on the timeline so any resolutions wouldn't have carried over anyway. Which then made me annoyed with the hard reset. We just fucking had one TWO GAMES AGO!

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
1. I have two explanations for this. 1) Once the past characters came to the future, they created a new timeline for themselves, thus the present characters are the primary versions and their new furture selves are yet to be created. 2) Krinika just mashed up the time stamps and at the end of the game all dissolved and the time is just a clear board ready to be redrawn oa a steady clock ready to be started.
The rest of your points are pretty much explained by above.
TL:DR: time travel is always wack and is never logical. It is impossible.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I haven't played it yet but it seems like a mess. A lot of people saying the game feels rushed...maybe this is another consequence of that? Lol maybe if they had more time they could have proofread it or something.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Also, where tf were past shinnok and quan? Were they just happy to see Raiden and the heroes gone and chilling in the past?

I really think this game was supposed to be for next gen, but they pushed it out for this years Evo.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I'm still digesting all my feelings about the MK story mode, but the first thing I had to get off my chest is, holy fucking shit is the time travel in MK11 ever fucking dumb.

I know, MK isn't supposed to be the height of sci-fi, it's just a cheesy action movie. But this was a whole new level of stupid. I wasn't expecting 12 Monkeys, Primer, or Lost. I wasn't expecting intricate internal consistency. I was just expecting a bare minimum amount of sense. And this is not that. Shit, MK9 looks like it was written by astrophysicists by comparison. Let's break down just how outrageously dumb it is.

#1. "If the past self is injured or killed, the present self will be as well."

OK game, I'm gonna stop you right there. This is a really dumb way for time travel to work in a story.

The game's logic (what little there is of it) is that if Johnny's face is grazed by a bullet in the past, in the future he'll have a scar. Because the past and present aren't two different characters, they are the exact same character, co-existing. But why does that only happen in relation to bad events (e.g. injuries and deaths)? If past Johnny and present Johnny are the same character, then EVERY SINGLE THING that happens to past Johnny should be affecting present Johnny. Not just wounds and scars.

If past Johnny is forming all sorts of new memories (in the future) that future Johnny never had, it should be rewriting future Johnny's memories on a moment to moment basis. His personality should be in constant flux. In fact, everything should be in constant flux. If Past Johnny has the power to alter what happens to future Johnny through time and space, then anything that happens to him should have a butterfly effect on EVERYTHING that happened in the intervening 20 years. And I mean EVERYTHING. Themselves, other characters, the world they inhabit.

But wait a second... if a past self dying is very bad for a future self... then shouldn't a past self LIVING be equally as bad for a DEAD future self?

#2. Stop hitting yourself.

But OK, we're committed to this stupid premise that for some reason injuries and deaths are tracked cross-time and space, while literally nothing else is. OK. And we see a strikingly visual example of this during Sonya's fight scene with both past and future Kano. OK, game. OK. We're committed.

Except... wait a second... if hitting a younger self injures the older self... how can old Johnny... beat... younger Johnny...? How can Hanzo Hasashi beat Scorpion? How can Jax, Revenant Liu Kang, and Kung Lao do ANYTHING to their younger selves?! Shouldn't fighting your own younger self be like fighting a 1v2, because not only are they whooping your ass, but you're also whooping your own ass? Every time you throw a punch at your younger self, it should send YOU flying back too. Except it doesn't. There are so many moments in the story where we see both the young self and the old self of a character on screen at the same time, and plain as day the young self getting injured has zero impact on the old self.

Where are all the scenes of Revenant Liu Kang, Kung Lao, and Kitana randomly flying around because their younger selves got punched or kicked? Nowhere, because it would look fucking dumb, because it IS fucking dumb.

#3. Time God Liu Kang

And then they give up completely when they decide that Raiden + Liu Kang = Time Immunity, because... reasons.

We've seen first hand that Raiden is EXTREMELY not time immune. Kronika herself has told us that Liu Kang is not time immune. But them joining forces somehow results in magical time fuckery immunity? That is the most random ass-pull superpower I've ever seen, an almost literal deus ex machina, all because the writers had an ending in mind and didn't know how to have Liu Kang fight through it.

That's so lazy. Especially because there were ways to do the exact same thing without introducing nonsense into the plot. Fuck, just establish that Kronika's crown makes the wearer immune, and have Liu Kang break off a piece of it when he breaks into her chamber at the end. Kronika is immune to time shit, her crown increases her power, so it kinda sorta makes sense that maybe it helps someone be immune to time shit just like her. Bingo bango, problem solved in a way that makes a bare minimum amount of sense. But no, let's introduce a brand new "rule" to the time travel logic, right before it's time for the climax. That's obviously much better.

I think you’re just putting way too much thought into this. Which you just can’t do when it comes to time travel stories. Ever.

I didn’t consider any of this stuff during my playthrough. I just accepted the story as it was told, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

RothVI

d2 Spammer
Johnny Cage. D'Vorah's bugs burrow into his skin: looks perfectly fine after 2 years. Quan Chi stabs him through the chest: tis but a flesh wound. Bullet grazes his cheek: PERMANENT SCAR!

Well, I guess it wasn't time, it was just whatever Kronika wills the whole time. She just wanted to kill herself in the most elaborate, contrived way possible. Time keeper is a stressful position, so I don't blame her.