What's new

Tech The things you didn't know about Nightwing...(findings that I forgot to post)

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Hey guys, just posting this as a placeholder for now. I will post vids explaining this stuff as soon as I can.

The purpose of this thread is to explain some things about Nightwing that are not currently known/well known.

I will list these in sequential order.

The first thing I want to discuss, is Nightwing's flying grayson.

1) THE FLYING GRAYSON

People still do not understand how good this move is. I mean, people know the move is good (can only be punished by ducking it then punishing) however, what people do not know is that depending on the distance used, it's properties change.

For example.

FRAME ADVANTAGE
At long distances, did you know that grayson is actually +1 or +2 on block? Try it out in practice. You can d1 Lex out of reversal corpse charge everytime. If you use it up close, your face is going to get flattened for pressing a button.

CROSS-UP ADVANTAGE
Sure, having it be plus at long distances is great, but what about his crossup? The reason why I posted the crossup tech (I also have a better setup which I will post in this thread when I record a video that does more damage) is because of the setup afterwards against characters that want to constantly run away from Nightwing (who doesn't?). Anytime Nightwing does a crossup grayson, he is at +5. Thats right, +5!

Try it yourself! Go into practice mode and land a crossup flying grayson on someone like...Green Lantern. Set him to reversal Lanterns might. (10f)

Do the crossup, and then do 1(11f)~ground pound. You will stuff Lanterns Might EVERY time.

Testing this against other characters, I have determined that it is about +5 on block if it crosses up.

Use it, and abuse it.
2) Safe Jumps

Nightwing is one of the best characters in the game when it comes to safe jumps after knockdowns. He has midscreen and corner safe jumps. Anytime you end a combo in 113 midscreen, you get a free forward advancing safe jump that becomes a mind game for the opponent.

Oh, and 113 is a hard knockdown...so they aren't moving. If they wakeup you get to block it free and combo punish. If they respect it, free jump in 2 into pressure.

In The Corner nightwing can do F213~fury J3 112 f213~fury D2 NJ for 37% (iirc) and end in a completely safe neutral jump. This causes the same situation as above. If they wakeup, you get a free block and they are still stuck in the corner.
3) The wtf string sequence.
This has become one of my favourite things to do with Nightwing and it's so easy to setup. Anytime you land a 112 frame trap, you have numerous options. However, what about numerous options off of one guaranteed string!?

After 112, go to 33. It's a mid hitting mega cancel advantage string. From here, you have a plethora of mindfucking options. 33~spark is a low and on hit gives you enough advantage to continue pressure. 33~flip kick(m) is a crossup overhead that allows a full combo. 33~4~staff spin(m) for chip damage and free staff pressure, and finally my personal favourite, 33~spark cancel into 112 to reset the situation. You can also use 33~spark into throw.

Oh, and you could always finish the string with 333(oh) if you're feeling ballsy.

Lets go over those options again.

112 33~escrima spark On hit it's +17 on block it's -4. SAFE

112 33~Flip Kick Meterburn ON Hit it's a full combo, and on block it's +1 ADVANTAGE

112 33~4~spin(m) 33 has enough cancel advantage that it guarantees the staff cancel into spin. It cannot be poked. Leaves you at +19 against any character that cannot duck the last hit of spin. = ADVANTAGE

112 33~spark cancel You are actually at disadvantage here, but the opponent has to press a button when you move. If you want to really mess with them, back dash. Most will press a button as soon as they see you holding the spark. Backdash into b2 for a full combo. MIXUP CITY.

4)NULLIFYING WAKEUPS
In Staff Stance Nightwing has great disjointed hitbox properties on pretty much all of his normals. What this means, is that if the opponent hits Nightwings staff during an attack, it doesn't count as a hit on nightwing. This becomes prevalent in staff stance against characters like Black Adam when you knock them down.

Against characters like Black Adam who like to cage when they get knocked down, you get a free check against them with a correctly spaced 1~ground pound. If they cage, it absorbs your one but still cancels into the ground pound which you can then confirm into a ex for a full combo. It really shuts down certain characters when the get knocked down.

Characters with really strong wakeups that give Nightwing trouble can be neutralized...here are a few examples that get punished with this on their wakeup.

Black Adam (Lightning cage)
Sinestro (arachnid)
Cyborg (His uppercut arm thingy)
Wonder Woman (All options including spin)

There are others as well.

This makes the Wonder Woman matchup MUCH easier to deal with. Remember, if they block the pound, it's still +9 on block. The ball is always in your court.

I will post more when I get home. I can also add videos explaining what I am talking about.

#Dicks Rule.

Chongo
NightwingDayZero
Saitsu
MortySeinfeld
XBlades
AssassiN
Sajam
AK Gookus
GuamoKun

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Lots of great stuff here. I've been using crossup flying Grayson more and more lately. I had a feeling it was advantage, but I didn't realize it was that much.

I'm also digging the 112 options. I go for similar stuff, but I never used 33 to set it up. NW's corner game is seriously frightening, and I think it's the strongest part of the character. Between his flip kicks shenanigans, b2 50/50 reset game, crossup Grayson's, mb staff spin, and tons of other shenangians, very few characters can compare.

Great write up, and more of what I'd like to see in the NW section. Less Dick jokes, and more threads/discussion like this.

Edit: And you even added spoiler tags to make it look pretty. Nice.

AssassiN

Noob
Good stuff, I had a hunch about Flying Grayson being slightly positive at long distances. Glad to see I'm not wrong.
Like what I see about following up 112 with 33, gonna try some of these things out in training mode. I used to follow it up with F213 but 33 seems like a better option.
I can't be the only one who thinks that eventually we'll end up using Escrima more instead of Staff.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Some of the flying Grayson section is wrong.

fg can be punished as he lands, nrs games have landing recovery frames. Crossup Grayson is either 2 or 3 advantage. Corp charge is potentialy unreliable for max range Grayson due to travelling time, have you tested it against flashes uppercut?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Some of the flying Grayson section is wrong.

fg can be punished as he lands, nrs games have landing recovery frames. Crossup Grayson is either 2 or 3 advantage. Corp charge is potentialy unreliable for max range Grayson due to travelling time, have you tested it against flashes uppercut?
Only if you duck it. As soon as Nightwing lands, he is safe. So if you can tag him before he lands, perfect. The distance away from the character when he lands usually makes it unpunishable.

2)Nightwing lands right in front of his face. I have not tested it with flashes uppercut. That poses another problem tho..is the uppercut considered airborn? (will it go above nightwings d1 on startup?).

I can check into this when I get home from work.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Will also be adding using the grayson to cause wakeups to come out in front, while dick ends up behind allowing for numerous 1~staff pound whiff punishes to a lot of the cast.

I just have to further explore it when I get home.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Only if you duck it. As soon as Nightwing lands, he is safe. So if you can tag him before he lands, perfect. The distance away from the character when he lands usually makes it unpunishable.

2)Nightwing lands right in front of his face. I have not tested it with flashes uppercut. That poses another problem tho..is the uppercut considered airborn? (will it go above nightwings d1 on startup?).

I can check into this when I get home from work.
Again, landing frames exist. I punish grayson with BAs B2 the moment he flies over me and it hits him grounded for full combo. Uppercut doesn't start airborn.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Also, the setup vs cage is irrelevant in the matchup due to lightning hands not being jumpable by staff stance nightwing, its a way better wakeup in this matchup.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Again, landing frames exist. I punish grayson with BAs B2 the moment he flies over me and it hits him grounded for full combo.

See the end of my post. "The distance away from the character when he lands usually makes it unpunishable".

BA has a quick forward advancing OH. But, thats good to know...I have never been punished by a BA for doing it. I will be more wary of it in the future.

Also, the setup vs cage is irrelevant in the matchup due to lightning hands not being jumpable by staff stance nightwing, its a way better wakeup in this matchup.
Pretty sure properly spaced 1~pound will make the hands whiff and still hit BA. Not 100% on that tho.

Regardless, it still works against the cage.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
See the end of my post. "The distance away from the character when he lands usually makes it unpunishable".

BA has a quick forward advancing OH. But, thats good to know...I have never been punished by a BA for doing it. I will be more wary of it in the future.
Except you would never do flying grayson point blank when the opponent is in your face, flying grayson would either be done at max range to prevent jumps, at wakeup for setups or max range again for the slight + frames to start pressure.

The moment NW passes over you he has no threatening hitbox, most chars can dash up even before he lands and be very + even if they get no punish, this is max range btw, any closer and almost everyone gets a punish outside of universal D2s.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement

Pretty sure properly spaced 1~pound will make the hands whiff and still hit BA. Not 100% on that tho.

Regardless, it still works against the cage.
Supes can f23 it too. Grayson is very punishable, and not many people seem to really care enough about the NW matchup to realize it.

I love Grayson for setups/AAing but anytime someone does it raw in neutral I almost fling myself out of a window.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Supes can f23 it too. Grayson is very punishable, and not many people seem to really care enough about the NW matchup to realize it.

I love Grayson for setups/AAing but anytime someone does it raw in neutral I almost fling myself out of a window.

Oh I know Grayson is punishable. Been trying to explain that to Jimmy and Murph for a long time lol. I usually do it at long range so that I don't end up going over their heads. When it does happen, the opponent is usually not quick enough.

Once against tho, Supers f23 is an 8f forward advancing string.

I dunno, I usually like Qwark said do not put myself in a situation where it can be punished so I don't know the full cast breakdown on it :)

Thanks for the info.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Oh I know Grayson is punishable. Been trying to explain that to Jimmy and Murph for a long time lol. I usually do it at long range so that I don't end up going over their heads. When it does happen, the opponent is usually not quick enough.

Once against tho, Supers f23 is an 8f forward advancing string.

I dunno, I usually like Qwark said do not put myself in a situation where it can be punished so I don't know the full cast breakdown on it :)

Thanks for the info.
Yeah, Superman's f23 beating something is not new at all. Even if it lands in front though, certain characters can punish it.

I don't put myself in that situation either, but I've done it multiple times to other NW players when I was trying to help them with the Supes matchup. I'm thinking about testing all the good advancing strings in this game to see how well they do against different spacing on flying Grayson. I'd feel better if I knew certain characters couldn't punish it for sure.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Yeah, Superman's f23 beating something is not new at all. Even if it lands in front though, certain characters can punish it.

I don't put myself in that situation either, but I've done it multiple times to other NW players when I was trying to help them with the Supes matchup. I'm thinking about testing all the good advancing strings in this game to see how well they do against different spacing on flying Grayson. I'd feel better if I knew certain characters couldn't punish it for sure.

I agree. Not having any surprises is beneficial to any dick player.

XxM3LLOxX

CORN WulfGangM3LLO
This is a very interesting post TakeAChance. i was hoping i wasnt the only one curious about the FG being different on block from a distance. i will for sure be in the lab about this soon, great write up, and great post's as always

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
You all must be fuckin Jedi knowing that flying grayson is coming, either that or you sit there all match and wait for it to come, but I forgot with BA and Superman you don't have to give fucks at all and you can just mash shit out.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Would love it if I was tagged -_- lmao who cares tho, i don't play tournament so no one knows me lol. regardless good Fuckin shit here. I lack in the flying greyson department. I've been doin 112 into 33 for about a week now, its amazing. My pressure strings look like

d1 112 (frame trap) 33 (frame trap) 4~staffspin MB j2 1f1 db2 (on hit ill b2 flip kick cross over, on block back dash jump back wingding delayed meterburn)

In the corner it gets worse.
112 u3 33 4 db2mb j2 1f1 staff spin mb 1 4 db2

His pressure game with his stance switches is gettin ridiculous. 112 u3 can't be poked out of w real good time, u get 3 loops (iirc) before push back takes u too far to loop again. u can always 112 u3d3 tho :D

Great write up tho Chance, can't wait to see the vids. already have u subbed :)

Dasblackman

The struggle is real
I think I posted this in the matchup thread, but flying grayson can go through some characters' b3 and can get you out of trouble. They eat the damage and they're unsafe and you can immediately start your combo for a punish. Super useful against batman pressure and works even better with a mb b3. The timing is really specific but I think this could nullify some characters' offense if used correctly, at least the characters who rely a ton on MB B3 to apply pressure