What's new

The Stick Thread

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
Just finished up my JC Themed stick yesterday night.
Full sanwa and i installed some smd leds to illuminate the buttons.
Digging the case and how you did the buttons. The top panel artwork seems kinda bleached out but it may just be the lighting.
Good work!

I would be grateful if someone could help me. I have experienced the Tournament Edition Madcatz fightstick for X1. I bought it early days of the X1 (....the one with the Killer Instinct picture). I'm new to using a fightstick, but I noticed when using it to play MKX, it has a bit of lag time, compared to just using the X1 Pad. Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this at all? Also, is there a way to rectify this? Thank you in advance.

I have a Hori RAP4 fightstick for the PS4 and I have a question for the people that use a fightstick for MKX. How do you do very short run cancels? For example, Jax's rocket cancels. I find it a bit hard since it takes longer to press the stick to the side rather than pressing a button on a pad. Are you supposed to move it really fast (ticktick) or do you start the input a little sooner and do it at normal speed (tick..tick)?

kelevra

Steel cable bungee jumper
I have a Hori RAP4 fightstick for the PS4 and I have a question for the people that use a fightstick for MKX. How do you do very short run cancels? For example, Jax's rocket cancels. I find it a bit hard since it takes longer to press the stick to the side rather than pressing a button on a pad. Are you supposed to move it really fast (ticktick) or do you start the input a little sooner and do it at normal speed (tick..tick)?
Just do it fast. In general you should get used to the timing on different strings tho.
If you input you special too early the cancel becomes harder for some weird reasons.
As an example if i do 333-skrc-114 i do the shadowkick pretty much when the 3rd 3 hits (and canceling out of it as fast as possible) instead of doing it directly after inputing the string.
That way its just way easier to jail into other moves.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I got the same stick, it's my first stick, all I can really say is practice, timings felt different to pad (for everything directional wise), and you'll get used to the amount of pressure you mean to apply on the direction buttons. Everytime I pick up a new character I decide whether or not it's gunna be a pad or a stick character, I went with the stick for hellfire simply because it made the run cancels EASIER. Believe me you'll get used to it, for the first month or so I was unsure and worried that my purchase wasn't worthwhile, but the more I've used it the more I love it, even now

st9rm

viennality.com
I would be grateful if someone could help me. I have experienced the Tournament Edition Madcatz fightstick for X1. I bought it early days of the X1 (....the one with the Killer Instinct picture). I'm new to using a fightstick, but I noticed when using it to play MKX, it has a bit of lag time, compared to just using the X1 Pad. Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this at all? Also, is there a way to rectify this? Thank you in advance.
this is def. not normal

@ontopic

new Hori RealArcadePro V looks awesome and is quite affordable (130$)
i loved the joystick of the rap 4, but didn't really like it's kuro buttons, which is why i modded my own stick, using the venom (hayabusa joystick + sanwa buttons):

the new RAP keeps my hopes up high though

http://shoryuken.com/2015/11/13/hori-reveals-upcoming-real-arcade-pro-v-hayabusa-stick-fighting-commander-4-controller/

Last edited:
Just do it fast. In general you should get used to the timing on different strings tho.
If you input you special too early the cancel becomes harder for some weird reasons.
As an example if i do 333-skrc-114 i do the shadowkick pretty much when the 3rd 3 hits (and canceling out of it as fast as possible) instead of doing it directly after inputing the string.
That way its just way easier to jail into other moves.
Ok I will try that.

I got the same stick, it's my first stick, all I can really say is practice, timings felt different to pad (for everything directional wise), and you'll get used to the amount of pressure you mean to apply on the direction buttons. Everytime I pick up a new character I decide whether or not it's gunna be a pad or a stick character, I went with the stick for hellfire simply because it made the run cancels EASIER. Believe me you'll get used to it, for the first month or so I was unsure and worried that my purchase wasn't worthwhile, but the more I've used it the more I love it, even now
I've been using it for a couple months on and off in practice mode. I really want to use it because it's funner than a pad so I'll just keep practicing.

shura30

Shura
i loved the joystick of the rap 4, but didn't really like it's kuro buttons, which is why i modded my own stick, using the venom (hayabusa joystick + sanwa buttons):
i feel ya,
got a rap4 this week to use with ps4 and while the lever is amazing in my opinion better thatn the JLF, the feeling of the kuros isn't the same as the highly responsive sanwa OSB30
they need more strenght to activate and coming off sanwas this mean a lot of unregistered inputs, it's been less than a week tho, I'll give them a little more if not, I'll go back to sanwas in a flash

If I have to pick something to complain for the hayabusa (but again, could be me adjusting) it's the shorter reach and highly responsive spring, if I'm ducking and I need to stand up quickly, a jump up comes out too many times

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Can the stick users here let me know which finger (and which button) you use for block in MKX? I just ordered a mad catz TE2 which is on its way in the mail. Some people have said they use their middle finger/ring finger, and others have said they use LK (the button on the lower left) for block. What works for you guys? I would think that using your ring finger, which is the default R2 button on most stick layouts it seems, would get really uncomfortable after awhile, but would like to hear what your experience has been.

st9rm

viennality.com
Can the stick users here let me know which finger (and which button) you use for block in MKX? I just ordered a mad catz TE2 which is on its way in the mail. Some people have said they use their middle finger/ring finger, and others have said they use LK (the button on the lower left) for block. What works for you guys? I would think that using your ring finger, which is the default R2 button on most stick layouts it seems, would get really uncomfortable after awhile, but would like to hear what your experience has been.
i occasionally play on stick with:
fp bp blk throw
fk bk stance interact

eventhough using fp + bk for throwing works aswell

aieches

#freeHomelee2016

this is my stick set up

thw 1 2 interact
BLK 3 4 stance

i really like this method - feels natural to me. this is the set up i have been pretty much using since day one - i feel it works very well for kunai cancels/set ups and blade drop combos

shura30

Shura
1 2 interact throw
2 4 block stance

index = 1
middle = 2
ring = 2 - 4
pinky = block interact throw stance

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
this is my stick set up

thw 1 2 interact
BLK 3 4 stance

i really like this method - feels natural to me. this is the set up i have been pretty much using since day one - i feel it works very well for kunai cancels/set ups and blade drop combos
thx, do you use your thumb to block in that case?

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
1 2 interact throw
2 4 block stance

index = 1
middle = 2
ring = 2 - 4
pinky = block interact throw stance
wow, pinky to block? I would think that would get that finger sore AF after awhile, no? i mean given that you have to use block button also to ex everything, it is such a heavily used button

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
thx, do you use your thumb to block in that case?
if youre talking about my right hand thumb then yep, that is correct. also ive found that this way is comfortable for me to still play normally while my index/pointer finger is holding 1 for kunai delays.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
L
I use the default controls and I use my ring finger for the block button, but the hori button layout encourages the default control scheme and I don't think that the te2 does, but yeah I always have my ring finger over the block button and I use my index and middle fingers to press the other 4 buttons