What's new

The State of Zoning and Overall Strategy in Mortal Kombat 1

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The interesting thing about Kameos though, is that this meta could change with one release :coffee:

Like we saw with Cyrax, one Kameo can really have ripple effects across the entire cast. So I'm curious to see where we go from here.

But as of now, it seems pretty evenly split between playstyles. And if Johnny gets toned down (which is probably coming), then I think the meta will favor midrange play space control over rushdown even more than now.
What team (or teams) have you been using?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
What team (or teams) have you been using?
Nitara/Lao atm.. But unfortunately, there's not much to say about that in a thread about zoning :coffee:

Still waiting to find my "soul character", but I'm hoping that Takeda will do the trick.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I really don't see how Kenshi is considered top. And as far as I've seen, he has no results whatsoever to back up his consistently high tier placement.
TheMightyUnjust tied for 5th place at ECT exclusively using Kenshi. He has also performed very well in multiple online tournaments.

Kenshi's "flaw" is that he is very difficult to use unlike top tier characters like Cage and Raiden who are significantly more intuitive to play. Kenshi's complexity prevents high level players from using him as a secondary or tertiary character in tournaments. Speaking of which...

Imo this is a game where all styles of play are evident much of the time.
People forget that four players in the top 8 at ECT used Cage at some point or another. Such zoning equivalent results are nonexistent, not even for any online tournament as far as I am aware.

There are only two zoning characters who genuinely impress me in this game. They are Ashrah and Liu Kang. Everyone else seems weak and requires buffs in my humble opinion.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Nitara/Lao atm.. But unfortunately, there's not much to say about that in a thread about zoning :coffee:

Still waiting to find my "soul character", but I'm hoping that Takeda will do the trick.
Ah so you’re a fellow low tier hero in this game I see.

Also this thread has kinda morphed into being almost just a general MK1 strategy type discussion tbh. Which is a good thing imo and wouldn’t even mind it if the thread title were to change slightly to reflect that

LEGEND

YES!
TheMightyUnjust tied for 5th place at ECT exclusively using Kenshi. He has also performed very well in multiple online tournaments.

Kenshi's "flaw" is that he is very difficult to use unlike top tier characters like Cage and Raiden who are significantly more intuitive to play. Kenshi's complexity prevents high level players from using him as a secondary or tertiary character in tournaments. Speaking of which...

People forget that four players in the top 8 at ECT used Cage at some point or another. Such zoning equivalent results are nonexistent, not even for any online tournament as far as I am aware.

There are only two zoning characters who genuinely impress me in this game. They are Ashrah and Liu Kang. Everyone else seems weak and requires buffs in my humble opinion.
I'm not sure one 5th place justifies the #2 placement. Though I did not recall that when I made my post so thank you.

I don't think his "complexity" is any kind of barrier. If he actually was THAT strong, more people would play him, and we'd have seen more results by now.

Simply in theory fighting terms, I haven't seen anyone talk about how Kenshi possibly opens someone up to initiate Sento, they just assume the hit will happen.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
I'm not sure one 5th place justifies the #2 placement. Though I did not recall that when I made my post so thank you.

I don't think his "complexity" is any kind of barrier. If he actually was THAT strong, more people would play him, and we'd have seen more results by now

Simply in theory fighting terms, I haven't seen anyone talk about how Kenshi possibly opens someone up to initiate Sento, they just assume the hit will happen.
If Kenshi has Sub-Zero, Frost, Cyrax, and Goro and touches you once, the round is potentially over. I wouldn’t disagree with anyone who calls him a vortex character.

He hits you while you’re trying to hit him. He’s a very elusive character in the right hands. And in my opinion he has a very high skill ceiling. Also he’s a very timing based character so he suffers in lag.

It’s only been about 2.5 months. How good will Kenshi players be a year from now if he stays the same?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I think a couple of ways:

One, the general strike/throw meta that everyone plays in this game. Everyone has to move or attack at some point, and doing so creates an opening.

Second, as much as people complain about his regular stance, he still has very good ranged normals. The better Kenshi players like Tigerz and Unjust are patient.. They don’t rush the offense, they space people out, and hit them coming in.

I don't think the "Sento Sandwich" is that crazy considering the HTBs that characters get off of Lao and the forever plus situations that people get from Stryker/Kano.

My one key thing here is that he kinda has to use a Kameo to get Sento out, which leaves his mediocre base kit without the general advantages that everyone else is getting with Lao or Stryker/Kano.

I also feel like my characters (Shang, Baraka) win the matchup so idk what it's like to deal with Kenshi without full screen presence and really good buttons.
I'll try to explain it well. Let me start with I think Kenshi is definitely Top Tier but don't think the top tiers are Broken and need Nerfs, there is counterplay but hard to counter.
When Sento gets out you have legit frame traps for days and the opponent has to closely watch for almost read when one of the Kenshi B12 to Sento 2 is coming. Without sandwich you can armor through right after B12 before the Sento double mid hits. But if they do F22 intoSento 2 it's a legit frame traps that goes on for 10+ seconds and they can do B2(Kenshi OH) into Sento 2 and there is a very small Backdash window if your not sandwiched. If Sento and Kenshi has you Sandwiched you don't have backdash and have to guess when they do Sento1 or when he does B2 into Sento 3 otherwise you are eating 50/50's until your opened up or you're just constantly taking chip, any hit equals free Sento refresh and Tremor can get Sento out on block now like Cyrax did PrePatch.
In many situations when you make the read the Kenshi player and press Sento 3 to launch you into combo 35% into Sento refresh + sandwich and that's if you guessed right. If you don't guess right it's 45-50% back into refreshed Sento sandwich.

It's the lack of options when your in Sento and there are plenty of ways to get Sento out. Notice Pro Comp Kenshis constantly getting back into Sento even when opponent made the reads, stuffed Sento waited for Kenshi to hit, punished, cut combo short to block waking up Sento then Kenshi got a full refresh.
There are definitely ways around it but Sandwich is definitely the most oppressive situation in MK1 even compared to Johnny.
Kenshis online are not very good with him that I've come across, they don't frametrap and constantly leave gaps between Sento and Kenshi attacks.

Like others have said Kenshi is definitely a very hard character to master which I don't think many pro players have, it's only been 2.5 months. He has 3 stances: Base Kenshi(Balanced for you older MK players), Sento out Kenshi, and Sento Stance without Sento out. You need to know how to convert off every hit, situation and the timing are different. You're constantly juggling between holding R1 to keep Sento still while using Kenshis attacks so Sento hits alone and on time, then holding Block to pause Kenshi to only attack with Sento and every 50% combo involves both.
I mainly use Sindel which is one of the hardest characters and she's known as the Carpel Tunnel Syndrome character and I can honestly say Kenshi is the hardest character to use so it's obvious why everyone isn't using him in majors or they absolutely would.
You put Sonic behind Kenshi and I'm betting he will lock you down most of the time. You can make reads and Kenshi is beatable but hard to counter and that's why I confidentiality place him Top 3 and no question Top5 if a Top Player is using him.

Last edited:

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter

I'm interested in knowing your thoughts about whether Ashrah needs to be nerfed?

There are quite a few people calling for it (me not being one of them!)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Since we're talking about Kenshi, here's the set between Unjust and Sonic tonight.

Notice how patient Unjust is in regular stance and how he spaces himself out. Shimmys, staggers, whiff punishing.. It's just fighting game fundamentals.

He plays to bait his opponent into a mistake and then he capitalizes with Sento.

(And the juice for tonight is that Sonic is using the Dead Cyrax Kameo and doing really well against some very good players).

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'm interested in knowing your thoughts about whether Ashrah needs to be nerfed?

There are quite a few people calling for it (me not being one of them!)
Personally, right now, for main characters I think only Johnny Cage needs some slight nerfs while they simultaneously buff characters like Sub and Scorp. And then some slight buffs to probably Nitara, Reptile, and maybe Havik.

I don’t think any other top tier needs to be nerfed right now. But IF they do nerf any of them, I hope they’re only slight nerfs.

As far as Kameos, I think Kung Lao needs a slight nerf on his low hat. Just make it cost more, recharge slower after using it, or both. But again, I want them to just slightly nerf it, not gut it like they did to Cyrax’s horizontal kopter chopper. And idc what anyone says, that move was gutted, plain and simple. I actually hope they buff it and make it only cost like 75% of Kameo meter instead of 100%. That way after using it, instead of having to wait for it to recharge from 0-100, you only have to wait for it to recharge from 25-75, aka half the wait time as it is now. Then after it’s used a second time THEN You have to wait for it to charge from 0-75, and that’s still much better than 100 imo.

Since we're talking about Kenshi, here's the set between Unjust and Sonic tonight.

Notice how patient Unjust is in regular stance and how he spaces himself out. Shimmys, staggers, whiff punishing.. It's just fighting game fundamentals.

He plays to bait his opponent into a mistake and then he capitalizes with Sento.

(And the juice for tonight is that Sonic is using the Dead Cyrax Kameo and doing really well against some very good players).
Honeybee did a reply video to Sonic claiming Reptile/Cyrax is broken and his best Kameo.
Bee cracks me up, my boi waiting a month for that broken reptile tech from Sonic to get a "broken 13% throw combo" LMAO

Honeybee had a Xeet stating it's been a month without any Reptile tech from SonicFox but it must have been deleted out of respect?

Last edited:

LEGEND

YES!

idk if its the MU or because its casual online sets but Sonic was just throwing themself at Kenshi. I'm thinking about matches where the opponent of Kenshi plays lame.

It could just be that any character that doesn't have full screen presence and can't wiff punish Kenshi's buttons has a hard time against him. idk
I'll try to explain it well. Let me start with I think Kenshi is definitely Top Tier but don't think the top tiers are Broken and need Nerfs, there is counterplay but hard to counter.
When Sento gets out you have legit frame traps for days and the opponent has to closely watch for almost read when one of the Kenshi B12 to Sento 2 is coming. Without sandwich you can armor through right after B12 before the Sento double mid hits. But if they do F22 intoSento 2 it's a legit frame traps that goes on for 10+ seconds and they can do B2(Kenshi OH) into Sento 2 and there is a very small Backdash window if your not sandwiched. If Sento and Kenshi has you Sandwiched you don't have backdash and have to guess when they do Sento1 or when he does B2 into Sento 3 otherwise you are eating 50/50's until your opened up or you're just constantly taking chip, any hit equals free Sento refresh and Tremor can get Sento out on block now like Cyrax did PrePatch.
In many situations when you make the read the Kenshi player and press Sento 3 to launch you into combo 35% into Sento refresh + sandwich and that's if you guessed right. If you don't guess right it's 45-50% back into refreshed Sento sandwich.

It's the lack of options when your in Sento and there are plenty of ways to get Sento out. Notice Pro Comp Kenshis constantly getting back into Sento even when opponent made the reads, stuffed Sento waited for Kenshi to hit, punished, cut combo short to block waking up Sento then Kenshi got a full refresh.
There are definitely ways around it but Sandwich is definitely the most oppressive situation in MK1 even compared to Johnny.
Kenshis online are not very good with him that I've come across, they don't frametrap and constantly leave gaps between Sento and Kenshi attacks.

Like others have said Kenshi is definitely a very hard character to master which I don't think many pro players have, it's only been 2.5 months. He has 3 stances: Base Kenshi(Balanced for you older MK players), Sento out Kenshi, and Sento Stance without Sento out. You need to know how to convert off every hit, situation and the timing are different. You're constantly juggling between holding R1 to keep Sento still while using Kenshis attacks so Sento hits alone and on time, then holding Block to pause Kenshi to only attack with Sento and every 50% combo involves both.
I mainly use Sindel which is one of the hardest characters and she's known as the Carpel Tunnel Syndrome character and I can honestly say Kenshi is the hardest character to use so it's obvious why everyone isn't using him in majors or they absolutely would.
You put Sonic behind Kenshi and I'm betting he will lock you down most of the time. You can make reads and Kenshi is beatable but hard to counter and that's why I confidentiality place him Top 3 and no question Top5 if a Top Player is using him.
I think the main potential here is getting Sento out on block.

Correct me if i'm wrong, i could just be playing bad Kenshi's that don't know how to cover this (likely) but his 50/50 is fuzzyable, so to combat that, the Kenshi player has to delay their F1/B2 mix which then opens up holes in their offense.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
idk if its the MU or because its casual online sets but Sonic was just throwing themself at Kenshi. I'm thinking about matches where the opponent of Kenshi plays lame.

It could just be that any character that doesn't have full screen presence and can't wiff punish Kenshi's buttons has a hard time against him. idk
This is just how Unjust plays. Here’s a set from ECT where Wize tries to play the typical fullscreen game against him. Unjust is still patient, and takes his time. If Liu sticks to zoning he counterzones with slashes. He slowly moves forward into the range where Liu is scared to throw something, and then plays footsies and spaces him out or punishes the fireball. Again, nothing fancy, just good fighting game fundamentals.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Sonic was playing like day 1 Reptile which isn't a great MU for Reptile anyway and still gave Unjust a hard time(it was pretty much even), just goes to show how amazing of a player Sonic is and - as always player > character.

I think the main potential here is getting Sento out on block.

Correct me if i'm wrong, i could just be playing bad Kenshi's that don't know how to cover this (likely) but his 50/50 is fuzzyable, so to combat that, the Kenshi player has to delay their F1/B2 mix which then opens up holes in their offense.
Obviously getting Sento out, especially on block is the main plan of any Kenshi player. As for mix, sure but he doesn't have to, if he thinks you're waiting for that he can keep you blocking for days or delay and block instead of commiting + punish you for trying to punish him, refresh Sento for a bar and back to square 1 you go.

We're talking here what the best players can do with him, not some pocket Kenshi players. In the right hands Kenshi can really be scary. It doesn't mean he can't be beaten, just that he is top tier. Maybe top 2 or maybe top 5 but as it stands he is up there.

I have the same opinion about Kenshi as Tigers - Kenshi is top tier(for me top 5) but he doesn't win every MU, which means he can be countered when two players of similar skill are playing. Also obviously it's easier to see and punish any gaps in his pressure offline. That's why i also agree with him that we won't see many Kenshi victories in stacked, offline tournaments, if any at all. Doesn't mean he isn't a top tier character in current state of the game.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Honeybee did a reply video to Sonic claiming Reptile/Cyrax is broken and his best Kameo.
Bee cracks me up, my boi waiting a month for that broken reptile tech from Sonic to get a "broken 13% throw combo" LMAO

Honeybee had a Xeet stating it's been a month without any Reptile tech from SonicFox but it must have been deleted out of respect?
These videos were made before Sonic’s sets, but I think to anyone watching his argument behind Cyrax is pretty clear.

Cyrax gives him an easy option for setups into invisibility, full combo off throw, combo off slide, plus some additional pressure on block for certain situations.

For anyone watching and saying “It’s just Sonic”, I didn’t see him doing anything superhuman. His gameplan was pretty basic, but the additional conversions were helpful and he just understands how to be effective.

LEGEND

YES!
That's why i also agree with him that we won't see many Kenshi victories in stacked, offline tournaments, if any at all. Doesn't mean he isn't a top tier character in current state of the game.
i mean, this is kinda my point.

Lets not get hung up on the arbitrary top2/top5 line. I'm curious to see what actual Kenshi mains think his MU chart looks like. If its somehow unanimous that Kenshi somehow beats the likes of Raiden, Shang, Baraka etc and can explain why/how then I'll happily concede

This is just how Unjust plays. Here’s a set from ECT where Wize tries to play the typical fullscreen game against him. Unjust is still patient, and takes his time. If Liu sticks to zoning he counterzones with slashes. He slowly moves forward into the range where Liu is scared to throw something, and then plays footsies and spaces him out or punishes the fireball. Again, nothing fancy, just good fighting game fundamentals.

This is a pretty bad example.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
These videos were made before Sonic’s sets, but I think to anyone watching the argument behind Cyrax is pretty clear.

Cyrax gives him an easy option for setups into invisibility, full combo off throw, combo off slide, plus some additional pressure on block for certain situations.

For anyone watching and saying “It’s just Sonic”, I didn’t see him doing anything superhuman. His gameplan was pretty basic, but the additional conversions were helpful and he just understands how to be effective.
As someone who plays a lot of Reptile, Cyrax is a terrible kameo for him (compared to Scorpion and Stryker). This is 100% Sonic outplaying his opponent in spite of, not because his choice of kameo. Honeybee (which plays Reptile exclusively and is widely regarded as the current best Reptile player) has a video reacting to this cyrax-reptile pair by Sonic and his sentiments are the same as mine - and anyone who has played Reptile for more than a couple hours.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
As someone who plays a lot of Reptile, Cyrax is a terrible kameo for him (compared to Scorpion and Stryker). This is 100% Sonic outplaying his opponent in spite of, not because his choice of kameo. Honeybee (which plays Reptile exclusively and is widely regarded as the current best Reptile player) has a video reacting to this cyrax-reptile pair by Sonic and his sentiments are the same as mine - and anyone who has played Reptile for more than a couple hours.
Honeybee's videos were made before Sonic even played the sets. He's quoting stuff that doesn't make sense. Like he laughs at Sonic doing 13% off a back throw, but sonic was comboing for 22% from throws in the set he played last night.

For what it's worth, one of my closest friends in the community is a well-known player who mains Reptile since Day 1 and disagrees with Honeybee. Sonic has found a Kameo choice that works for him and the reasons are straightforward. I wouldn't say everyone has to agree that it's the best Kameo for Reptile, but claiming Cyrax is unviable/useless just doesn't hold up.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Honeybee's videos were made before Sonic even played the sets. He's quoting stuff that doesn't make sense. Like he laughs at Sonic doing 13% off a back throw, but sonic was comboing for 22% from throws in the set he played last night.

For what it's worth, one of my closest friends in the community is a well-known player who mains Reptile since Day 1 and disagrees with Honeybee. Sonic has found a Kameo choice that works for him and the reasons are straightforward. I wouldn't say everyone has to agree that it's the best Kameo for Reptile, but claiming Cyrax is unviable/useless just doesn't hold up.
So, your argument in favor of Honeybee being wrong about this pairing is that Reptile gets 22% throw combos instead of 13%?

Let's list, according to your previous post, what Cyrax brings to the table:

- Cyrax gives him an easy option for setups into invisibility

Scorpion does the exact same thing, but you get more damage while doing so. Sub-zero and Frost also do the same.

full combo off throw
A tricky one to pull off, and for 22%, but again, something Scorpion can do as well.

combo off slide
It adds very little damage at the end of it, so its usefulness is debatable.

plus some additional pressure on block for certain situations.
It will cost a full bar of meter and not regen for another 20 seconds. Not that the other previously mentioned stuff is anything great, though. Again, Stryker (and to some extent, Goro) do the same thing for much less resources.

Now, to Scorpion:
Allows him to combo midscreen from his tail swipe into easy 30%+
Adds overhead to any string - an experienced player will see it coming if you keep throwing it willy-nilly though, but it is a mix option. Add that to the threat of now comboing from tail swipe and it becomes a legit 50/50. Nevermijd a 50/50 you can do while invisible.
Invisibility setups that grant lots of damage.
Armored retreat to fullscreen.

And Stryker:
Everything you do is now safe, so no gaps are getting exploited or flawless blocks to your ex dashes.
You have two mixes which are plus on block for half a bar.
People cant jump at you and their wakeups are stuff if you have grenades available. Conversely, you can jump at will.

I don't know about your friend, but I'm pretty sure neither he nor anyone so far is scoring any top 8s with Reptile/Cyrax. At least not in R1ps arena, the Kolosseum and Destroyer's tournaments.

And to address your final point: again, the fact that Sonic made cyrax work with Reptile is simply a testment of his skill, not the kameo being a particularly good choice for Reptile. He would probably fare much better, for reasons I stated extensively in this post, with Scorpion or Stryker. Hell, I have little doubt he would make Darrius look good with Reptile - this doesn't mean Darrius is a good match, it is a merit of the player. It also doesn't mean Darrius is useless - something I never said Cyrax to be, so this is a strawman - as there is no such thing as a useless kameo in this game, just some that are much better paired with certain base characters than others, that is my entire argument here.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Of course not, but I would listen to, although not necessarily agree with, depending on the specifics, a discussion about Ashrah's damage output, which is currently one of the highest in the game.

Sareena completes Ashrah, though, in a manner that no kameo does, so any discussion about nerfs would have to include Sareena, at least to a certain extent.

I think that Crimson is out of his mind believing that zoning is on equal terms as offense in this game. However, he is right when he says that a character like Ashrah can punish you severely for moving forward or backward, jumping, or pressing buttons, which qualifies as zoning and space control.

rifraf

Noob
After watching the European tournament UFA 2023, I have the feeling that the game is overall very well balanced. We can argue about the top 5 being powerful but I don't see anything broken or too cheesy happening. I also don't see any top 5 character shutting down any other character either. It's a fair game for everyone to beat them.

Having said that, I still feel Scorpion and Sub-Zero are one full tier below everyone else. Evidence to back this up can be seen at UFA when Tekken Master's Baraka completely annihilated MKJavier's Scorpion by simply knowing the matchup quite well. Scorpion, played in top 8 was completely shut down unable to do anything. Was Tekken Master that much better then MKJavier? He won the tournament, so that tells us he's one of the best players but I personally think Scorpion(and his buddy SZ) as a character is rather weak compared to the rest of the cast.