What's new

The State of Zoning and Overall Strategy in Mortal Kombat 1

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
That's kind of the key point though — this isn't how the zoning works in other games of this type. And that's one of the big reasons why previous NRS titles were so unbalanced. Going all the way back to MK9.

Whether it's Martian, Zod, Freddy, Kenshi, Cetrion, the fact that the zoning did not match the mobility tools given to characters (like it does in SF6) has meant many extremely lopsided MUs. A lot of characters just couldn't start to play the game against them.

And now the zoning is more like it is for other games of this style — lots of characters zone, some are better at it than others, but you have to be smart about it, play footsies constantly, and can't just rely on being able to keep everyone out solely with projectiles. So it's actually more in line with proper fighting game design. And we have some players who aren't used to not having that crutch to not have good neutral.
Nowwww you're with me haha. This is fair enough. As strong as Cetrion was though there were equally strong Top Tiers. Lower in the tier you had characters like RoboCop, who were more balanced but common in the tournament scene. The other games had similar examples, where there seemed to be like a top tier, then an upper, then a mid, for zoners. Except MKX which doesn't exist, it's not a real game.

The fact that it has changed more in line with other games is true. But I think it's just a "change", I don't think it's good or bad, just different. Dragon is going to be a Top 1% player without Cetrion regardless. But the "pure projectile-based zoner" is a unique element that most other games don't have that exists in NRS games. Using Inj2 as another example, there's really no FG that has a Dr. Fate type character out there. Players like Tweedy could make him look untouchable at times. It's one of the main things I have enjoyed, but MK1 is more of a "traditional" style game in that sense when it comes to space control, like your Ashrah example being how you win the neutral with buttons/zoning. This ends up not being an issue because the gameplay in MK1 is so godlike lol, but it would be nice to get an old school zoning character in here. But even then, I'm not sure they would work with the smaller stages, Sub Kameo, closing speed, etc.

I think I get what you're saying now. You want a character that most of his toolset consists of zoning tools, aka a pure zoner. Do we have something like that in MK1? Idk, but I'm sure there will be a character like that in the future. I don't see why not.
Yea I don't see how at least one DLC doesn't come in like that. Unless it's a business decision altogether to skip it this game, someone has to come in guns or plasma blazing. Maybe it skipped the launch roster to not have casuals tossing controls because they're unable to cross mid screen haha.

rifraf

Noob
Maybe it skipped the launch roster to not have casuals tossing controls because they're unable to cross mid screen haha.
Bro, you're joking but that's a legit reason to wait before releasing a character with such toolset :laughing: I'm sure you already know it can be massively oppressive and if it's not designed well, forget about it. The character will either be trash or broken.

I think what NRS might be doing right now is taking the smart approach of waiting to see what kind of game they've actually built, and then releasing a well designed and fun character.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Bro, you're joking but that's a legit reason to wait before releasing a character with such toolset :laughing: I'm sure you already know it can be massively oppressive and if it's not designed well, forget about it. The character will either be trash or broken.

I think what NRS might be doing right now is taking the smart approach of waiting to see what kind of game they've actually built, and then releasing a well designed and fun character.
Didn't think of that but that's possible as well. As much as I or some want the "pure zoner" no one wanted to fight against launch-version Deadshot, and after he was nerfed no one wanted to use post-patch Deadshot. So it ended up a lose-lose LOL.

I definitely think they're also hardest to balance, so would make sense to go that route later down the line. I'm a strong believer that you can't possibly know everything in the game a few months in, and am pretty convinced there's a lot of strong undiscovered/unused/slept on tech, so a game with this much depth might not have been able to handle a Cetrion 2.0 at launch paired with Sektor missile or Lao Hat or Stryker. That much is probably true. Even typing that out, Cetrion with a zoning Kameo is just :eek:

rifraf

Noob
Didn't think of that but that's possible as well. As much as I or some want the "pure zoner" no one wanted to fight against launch-version Deadshot, and after he was nerfed no one wanted to use post-patch Deadshot. So it ended up a lose-lose LOL.

I definitely think they're also hardest to balance, so would make sense to go that route later down the line. I'm a strong believer that you can't possibly know everything in the game a few months in, and am pretty convinced there's a lot of strong undiscovered/unused/slept on tech, so a game with this much depth might not have been able to handle a Cetrion 2.0 at launch paired with Sektor missile or Lao Hat or Stryker. That much is probably true. Even typing that out, Cetrion with a zoning Kameo is just :eek:
Yup. I remember Freddy Kruger from my MK game of reference, MK9, of a pure zoner. That guy was all zoning tools. Did he even have anything else? I don't remember honestly, it's been a while.

I'm sure we'll get something similar in MK1. I mean, why wouldn't we?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Yup. I remember Freddy Kruger from my MK game of reference, MK9, of a pure zoner. That guy was all zoning tools. Did he even have anything else? I don't remember honestly, it's been a while.

I'm sure we'll get something similar in MK1. I mean, why wouldn't we?
Haha he technically did but definitely was best played running away from you and frame trapping you with his zoning tools, etc. In a way his other tools were more of a compliment to his overall zoning package. Times were different back then though, where some characters had resets for full life bar damage and characters like Kabal has high execution zoning running away all match on Rooftop Stage while building up full bars of meter, on to side switch with you and do it all over again LOL. Man saying that out loud I don't know if we need THAT zoning back hahaha. :laughing:

If we get something similar hopefully it's more in line with like, Inj2 Starfire or MK11 Robocop rather than some of the super broken stuff we've seen in years past. Feel like it would be more accepted returning that way.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So I think we're coming to an understanding and circling back to the original points here.

Basically, if the movement mechanics in your game are made to be used against bullet hell (air blocking, air dashing, multiple-dashes, extremely strong advancing armor, etc), then you can pretty much throw whatever at people, with assists and all. If not, game-design wise you have to be careful, and usually in non-anime games that means the modern SF archetype, where you're basically playing footsies all the time, even when throwing projectiles. And it's balanced because you're always one jump, dash, or drive impact, or invulnerable move away from getting bodied.

They give characters like JP great buttons to compensate for this, and skilled players will make this work. The problem in NRS games was mainly giving characters bullet-hell zoning and great buttons without the movement/invulnerability mechanics to even it out. This was also the problem in the ST era of SF, lol.

It's a tricky balance to find.

rifraf

Noob
Haha he technically did but definitely was best played running away from you and frame trapping you with his zoning tools, etc. In a way his other tools were more of a compliment to his overall zoning package. Times were different back then though, where some characters had resets for full life bar damage and characters like Kabal has high execution zoning running away all match on Rooftop Stage while building up full bars of meter, on to side switch with you and do it all over again LOL. Man saying that out loud I don't know if we need THAT zoning back hahaha. :laughing:

If we get something similar hopefully it's more in line with like, Inj2 Starfire or MK11 Robocop rather than some of the super broken stuff we've seen in years past. Feel like it would be more accepted returning that way.
The way I see things is fun and player expression need to be no1, balance second. Give me enough tools to have fun, Idc if my character is top/low tier and stuff.
Probably a bit controversial opinion, but hey.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Zoning is good in MK1.

/thread
Sure, it is.

I am doing just as well, if not better, with Raiden/Cyrax than I am with the team that I have been practicing with since the game's release.

And I assure you that I have not done a single combo with Raiden in Kombat League. All I do is strings into storm cell into helicopter into more strings.

But yeah, zoning is good in MK1. Some of you hate zoning so much that you have become entirely delusional.

skcuf

Noob
There are a couple of things that make zoning seem less effective than it could.
  • Lack of enhanced mid projectiles - This is probably one of the biggest and why Reiko seems so strong. Katana is one that comes to mind who is missing the ability to enhance her straight fan for a mid. She has the air fan that hits mid, but it disappears if not enhanced. If enhanced it becomes a launcher. It seems like that's the typical tradeoff in MK1. Bar for launch, not mid. Li Mei and Mileena are the same.
  • The Kameo system - The kameo system brings anti-zoning tools. Sub zero's ice jacket and potential fireballs from Serena, Lao, or Sonya, for example, can bring anti-zoning tools to someone like Johnny when he's currently only got armor.
  • Damage payout - As people have mentioned, the damage isn't low in this game. Getting punished for throwing a fireball can make it seem not worth throwing the fireball. The chip damage is probably higher than it should be on these characters that have strings/specials that hit 5+ times and getting hit is death. Teleport characters exist in the MK universe and the unsafe option of a teleport often lends itself to really high damage as well.
Personally, I'm enjoying Kitana. Her zoning options seem to be fine and if someone starts to push in she has a pretty good range on her B2 mid. Her traps and pokes make her zoning game decently effective for me so far. She's got no mixup, though. Makes me feel a little better about my wins because she seems like a fair character.

Honestly, I'd rather have a real grappler. Reiko seems like he's a jack of all trades with a command grab, rather than an actual grappler. His damage seems like it's really low and can only become passable with the usage of Darrius. This means he can only get a decent combo once every 25-30 seconds? (I don't know the cooldown time) I've been testing out a few other Kameos and Darrius is the most amount of damage I've found so far. Combine that with the fact that it's the only damage he can get from any mixup and there's no reason to play Reiko over a more consistent character like Kitana.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Sure, it is.

I am doing just as well, if not better, with Raiden/Cyrax than I am with the team that I have been practicing with since the game's release.

And I assure you that I have not done a single combo with Raiden in Kombat League. All I do is strings into storm cell into helicopter into more strings.

But yeah, zoning is good in MK1. Some of you hate zoning so much that you have become entirely delusional.
I play zoners, and I’m doing great. Having fun. You should try to have some fucking fun, Dave.
As for your own limp results, sounds like a skill issue.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I know we may have already got a glimpse of him in the story mode version, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Quan Chi is a zoner. Honestly maybe even Homelander having a zoning element as well. He’s dogshit at fighting but can mog everyone from how much stronger he is, plus his lasers.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I know we may have already got a glimpse of him in the story mode version, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Quan Chi is a zoner. Honestly maybe even Homelander having a zoning element as well. He’s dogshit at fighting but can mog everyone from how much stronger he is, plus his lasers.
I'm dropping anyone and playing Homelander for the entirety of the game even if he's Bane-playstyle Bottom 1 the instant he drops, so I'm hoping he has a "zoning version of Superman" playstyle which funny enough I think would fit him well.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'm dropping anyone and playing Homelander for the entirety of the game even if he's Bane-playstyle Bottom 1 the instant he drops, so I'm hoping he has a "zoning version of Superman" playstyle which funny enough I think would fit him well.
That’s what I thought I was gonna be doing with Smoke. I’ll still use him, but since he’s my favorite MK character, I figured I’d try out other characters but main main Smoke. Which, IS what I did for awhile. But you just have to work much harder with Smoke vs good players who know the MU compared to a lot of characters. And when you win, it’s rarely satisfying. Because you’re mainly either scrub stomping, or if you beat a good player who knows the MU, it’s mainly due to them just guessing wrong, typically while you’re invisible. So it doesn’t feel like an “earned win” if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I’m also looking forward to Homelander and really all the DLC characters and Kameos.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
That’s what I thought I was gonna be doing with Smoke. I’ll still use him, but since he’s my favorite MK character, I figured I’d try out other characters but main main Smoke. Which, IS what I did for awhile. But you just have to work much harder with Smoke vs good players who know the MU compared to a lot of characters. And when you win, it’s rarely satisfying. Because you’re mainly either scrub stomping, or if you beat a good player who knows the MU, it’s mainly due to them just guessing wrong, typically while you’re invisible. So it doesn’t feel like an “earned win” if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I’m also looking forward to Homelander and really all the DLC characters and Kameos.
Wow ngl I didn't think I'd read that you'd be trying other characters around while Smoke was a launch character lol. But your rationale definitely makes sense.

And agreed on the Pack, I keep saying it but I think it's the best DLC pack I have ever seen. Nailed the 3 guests as perfectly as possible, and the 3 MK characters are perfect. 10/10.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I bet Omniman is going to be based on Inj Superman without lasers and Homelander will have Inj Superman lasers.
I hope there’s a little more too it than that. I’d like to see Omni-Man being more of a in your face rushdown character, maybe with a command grab, I think it’d be appropriate for him to be our real grappler. He’s a great fighter and likes beating the shit out of people, maybe he could have some air stuff too like Nitara since a lot of his fight style involves controlling his momentum in the air and being able to be strong and explosive without being anchored to the ground as his main advantage.

Homelander can’t fight, but is extremely strong. Just lazy as shit, so I wouldn’t be surprised if his normals are lacking in favor of some great specials.

Thats why Superman is so special as a character cause he’s extremely powerful but not a jabroni fighter like many think, in a lot of versions he’s been trained by Wonder Woman and Batman, has near perfect recall and memory as well. Which is why he will be good at the bare minimum in a fighting game because just checking boxes of Superman’s powers it’s like projectile, capturing freeze move, super strength, super speed, good fighter, etc, sounds like the ideal fighting game character to me lol. Injustice is just a special game because there’s tons of characters like this and I don’t think we will even get another game like it.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way

I relate to all of this but I can’t move away from Sub-Zero. I’m not necessarily a character loyalist even though he’s the only character that has any personal meaning to me, I literally just don’t like how any other character plays. I’ll definitely be trying Takeda and Omni Man.