What's new

Guide The Smoke Main's Tournament Pick Guide

McNasty

Moist.
The lack of patriorism and the abundance of downplaying is disturbing.

Smokes worst tourney mu? How about the guy using him?

The lack of patriorism and the abundance of downplaying is disturbing.

Smokes worst tourney mu? How about the guy using him?
It's been 1.5 years and we still have yet to make any solid placings at tournaments. LBSH, the only times a Smoke has done decently was Wafflez at Seasons Beatings: Summer Slam and Seasons Beatings: Ascension; both of which should be considered more of a local than they were actual majors. Even I got EVO points there, wtf? Obviously free and not real competition. Then there's xSMoKEx's claim to fame of almost beating REO a few times, and Gross almost taking a game off (i think it was) 16 bit. Some Kitana, idr. Point is, after all this time nobody has been able to make waves with this character in the same way nobody has made waves with Skarlet. How can these characters possibly be high tier or even tournament viable if, after all this time, nobody has been able to perform with them? Wafflez, xSMoKEx, and Gross are all excellent players in general and should have been able to do more with Smoke than they have currently. It's not always the player behind the fighter.

Do I think Smoke players are good enough? No. But maybe this is because the character is just too limiting. It's just like Skarlet; been out for a long time now but nobody can figure out how to use the damn character still. Sounds like poor design to me.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
We have 150% resets, why isn't the entire MK community coming to this character and winning every tournament? We apparently go even with Kung Lao now, so if that is the case Smoke is now like Kabal and we have no bad MU's.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
We apparently go even with Kung Lao now, so if that is the case Smoke is now like Kabal and we have no bad MU's.
Kabal, Sonya, and Cage are all still bad MUs. A Cage at Dizzy, F0xy, or CURBOLICOUS' level is much worse than any Kung Lao. Much worse.

Reactions: LaR

RiBBz22

Kabal, Sonya, and Cage are all still bad MUs. A Cage at Dizzy, F0xy, or CURBOLICOUS' level is much worse than any Kung Lao. Much worse.
I agree that Cage at a high level can be a problem for Smoke, but it is not anywhere near KL in my opinion. I have played against Dizzy and Forever King and KL gave my Smoke more problems. I am not sure who you are playing in these MU's.

Faded Dreams V

I agree that Cage at a high level can be a problem for Smoke, but it is not anywhere near KL in my opinion. I have played against Dizzy and Forever King and KL gave my Smoke more problems. I am not sure who you are playing in these MU's.
I used to play FOREVER KING and F0xy. But maybe the game has changed since then, so my MU knowledge is outdated. lol.

McNasty

Moist.
top 8- PDP via markman....
top 16 evo 2011 via aris
top 8 NEC 12 via detroit
top 8 mlg columbus via ktsmith
toronto 2nd via xsmokex
wafflez various placings at MLG and seasons beatings
Northwestmajors-4th via myself

With a little match up refinement smoke will have his breakout moment.

I dont believe the hype in gross as a smoke player random jump ins, naked TP's, and non-optimal combos he may have beat pig which is something I cant say Ive done but I'd like to see him play someone in GGA to stop that cross up nonsense dead in its tracks.

LaR

Noob
For me cage is much harder than lao at the highest level simply because he is so safe compared to kung lao.

PDP - outdated
EVO 2011 - outdated
NEC 12 - borderline... but I'll allow it
MLG Cbus - This is where Smoke was at his strongest, or rather his opponents their weakest.
Toronto - What competition was there? Kfrog? lol
Seasons Beatings - more like regionals than actual majors.
Wafflez - has he even made top 8 at an MLG?
northwestmajors - good shit

We've had 1.5 years to work on this "refinement." How much longer do we need as a community to prove our character is good? I have trouble believing he ever will be at this rate.

Faded Dreams V

MLG Cbus - This is where Smoke was at his strongest, or rather his opponents their weakest.
That. lol.

CURBOLICOUS was ahead of most of the competition at that time, and he annihilated KT Smith. That's the sort of competition that's common nowadays, I imagine.

Definitely not easy for Smoke, but I'm still optimist he can break top 8 at a major the size of MLG or EVO without a secondary. Just needs bracket luck--same way Kitana does against Kenshis, Kabals, and Reptiles. lol.

RiBBz22

You people are forgetting that CD jr. won MLG Columbus w/Smoke.
LBSH man, MK was starting to get to be a counter-fest during MLG and CDjr didn't use Smoke almost at all during that tournament other than in Grand Finals because REO was looking for an answer for CDjr's Jax at the time and went to Cage.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Smoke is the ultimate ass rapist, we need more in tourny at the highest play.

im solid with him and even i have pulled some serious messed up things on people

This thread sucks.

Matchups outside your comfort zone do not need to be counter picked. They need to be played differently.
Not everyone has a scene that meets 2-3 times a week for practice to iron out these hard matches. For us whose offline sessions are rare between tournaments, character counterpicks become a must as it is impossible to train matchups at the highest possible level. People are so excited to have the opportunity to just play with other people IRL that grinding isn't feasible. You aren't wrong, but your methods don't apply when you can't even play most matchups at a representatively high level. It's not like the best kitana player in the world is my roommate.

McNasty

Moist.
Damn dizzy came in and owned this thread.

I was just going to troll and mention ed boon thinks smoke is the best character in the game as per brian of netherrealm circa evo 2011 stay free bitches cant argue with the eyebrows.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Not everyone has a scene that meets 2-3 times a week for practice to iron out these hard matches. For us whose offline sessions are rare between tournaments, character counterpicks become a must as it is impossible to train matchups at the highest possible level. People are so excited to have the opportunity to just play with other people IRL that grinding isn't feasible. You aren't wrong, but your methods don't apply when you can't even play most matchups at a representatively high level. It's not like the best kitana player in the world is my roommate.

First off, it's not as if GGA happened magically. Chicago has that scene because the players there built it up. Dizzy and I aren't brothers, it's not luck we are roommaes. You live in Ohio, you meet up with 2 EVO finalists every few weeks. You have a better opportunity than most of the community.

Secondly, this plan sucks. You don't have time to level up Smoke so you're going to invest in alts? How are you going to learn those MU? If you're playing a Cage in tourney that's good enough you can't outplay him with your main you have no chance of beating them in the mirror. Also what happens when they counter your counter? You go to the Cage mirror to beat their Cage in game 2. Now they go to Kabal or Kenshi. Good luck with that.