VS Sektor - Smoke
VS Shang Tsung - Smoke
VS Sheeva - Smoke
VS Sindel - Smoke
VS Skarlet - Smoke
VS Smoke - Smoke
VS Sonya - Smoke/Cage
VS Stryker - Smoke

Smoke is only viable in tournament if you have a pocket Cage, and preferably at least one of these three: Jax, Sonya, Reptile.

Discuss.

Glass Sword

Nobody
While a side character does help quite a bit Smoke CAN beat Jax and Kung Lao. It just sucks horribly and would probably be quicker to pick up an alt. Also I would reserve judgement on a tournament guide since no Smoke (to my knowledge) has won a major any time this year. Since there are very few people who use Smoke as a main this is not surprising. Besides you and me FrothyOmen there is Tommy Waffles who has not been able to come out to many tournaments. I can't think of any other Smoke mains since they have not won anything I know of or they have not introduced themselves to me.
On the subject of this list I'm sure there are other characters besides Cage that could cover Smokes bad match ups like Sonya and uhhhhh Kabal... nah.
Edit- There is also @subzerosmokerai did not mean to forget you brah.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
While a side character does help quite a bit he CAN beat Jax and Kung Lao with Smoke. It just sucks horribly and would probably quicker to pick up and alt. Also I would reserve judgement on tournament guide since no Smoke (to my knowledge) has won a major any time this year. Since there are very few people use Smoke as a main this is not surprising. Besides you and me FrothyOmen there is Tommy Waffles who has not been able to come out to many tournaments. I can't think of any other Smoke mains since they have not won anything I know of and they have not introduced themselves to me.
On the subject of this list I'm sure there are other characters besides Cage that could cover Smokes bad match ups like Sonya and uhhhhh Kabal... nah.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
I can't think of any other Smoke mains since they have not won anything I know of or they have not introduced themselves to me.
It's funny. Sans Wafflez, the best Smoke players are not from US. It's no wonder not many attend tourneys here. lol.

GGA 16 Bit you are a fool. I have admitted that Smoke does in fact beat Kitana 6-4, what more do you want from me? These are all of Smoke's bad matchups in tournament, characters which have HEAVY representation in tournament play. Since we are all braindead and have no fundamentals, I have suggested an array of alternate pocket characters which should be used for maximum effectiveness in tournament play should we want to win. Smoke isn't tournament viable in the exact same way Kitana isn't; she has toto many bad matchups and cannot win a major in the current state of the metagame all by herself. This has been proven time and time again in the past few months. Our characters are simply not good enough, man.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Kind of off topic and random but... I honestly would rather go up against a good Lao than a good Sonya. Kabal... well, i that's another story ;_; 3/5 of my tournament losses come from REO and his Kabal :'( It's my kryptonite.

Freddy / Kenshi aren't bad either as a pocket character, (@m2dave would be ashamed that us cowardly Smoke fools use his elite and skillful character) as they both do well agaist Johnny Cage, Jax and Sonya.

Kabal and Lao are tough to counterpick, but imo Reptile is your best bet. (LK is good as well but Reptile's smaller hitbox is nice) and Kung Lao i suppose you could use Sonya or Kitana?

That's just it. You need too many alts to cover weak spots. May as well just sdrop smoke to focus on those other fighters by the time you learn them all

McNasty

Moist.
It's funny. Sans Wafflez, the best Smoke players are not from US. It's no wonder not many attend tourneys here. lol.
No.

And to the op my biggest mistakes in tournament have been doubting smoke and counter picking, Lbsh with the damage hes capable of and the outstanding normals he CAN beat anyone.

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
smoke can beat jax. I don't know what you're basing this off of. I wouldn't even consider it a bad mu

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
smoke can beat jax. I don't know what you're basing this off of. I wouldn't even consider it a bad mu
It's considered a bad matchup because of things that happen to everyone that doesn't have a notoriously low hitbox. :coffee:

I never thought the Sektor community could be topped for worst downplaying. Congrats.
Difference is, the Sektor community doesn't play him because of any single reason, and had his matchups and normals dictated by people who don't even use him, nor had credible matchup experience. Whereas the Smoke community's (in its much larger numbers) drive to play the character is glaringly obvious.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
hey man its not 2011 quit acting like you were the last great smoke, who never did a damn thing.

Sent from my LG-LW690 using Tapatalk 2
lol. Once again, I'm not talking about myself. I'm from the US.

Referring to the following:
xSmokex - From Canada.

Gross - From Dominican Republic. According to several top players, he blows US Smokes out of the water.

Gamer- From Puerto Rico. Has won tourneys there, and was xSmokex's partner in crime on PSN.

Gummi - From Mexico. Under The Mayo's friend who has placed very well in or won tourneys there.

Xarakamaka - From Europe. I hear he's the top Smoke player on XBL, currently. Wouldn't know.