What's new

The RoboCop Thread

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Top 16 Winners Arn Kratos (Cmd grab Robocop) vs True Hunter (Jade)

1:50:00 mark

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Low auto, command grab, flamethrower.

Great zoning. Threatening close with command grab. 50/50 mix up after any string xx flamethrower connects.

Anything better for a custom variation?

@RoboCop
That's what I made last night. I think there might be some matchups where the Riot Shield is better than command grab, but overall I agree with your breakdown. Now if we just could just agree on anything else lol...

It's also possible to get the same utility as Flamethrower out of several of his other gunshot moves, since they all leave the opponent standing with you at significant advantage, however you end up losing out on some damage. It could still be worth trying to replace Flamethrower with something that gives more utility, but until they fix his other moves, I'm not sure what that could be.

Last edited:

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I really hope his normals get looked at. I just started playing again a few days ago and I'm already totally bored with 121 and f212. b2 needs to be a mid, at worst, and an overhead, at best. Either make f4 start up faster or make the 2nd hit a mid. Shave a few frames of blockstun and recovery off of his strings so they can actually be staggered; don't give them more advantage or anything, just have RoboCop and the opponent both recover a little more quickly so it's more difficult to tell if his slow-ass strings are being staggered or not. And something needs to be done about his overall damage output. He gets less damage than D'Vorah but without her dirt, and I think that's maybe his main issue. He's probably the most "honest" character in a game full of nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmt
Low auto, command grab, flamethrower.

Great zoning. Threatening close with command grab. 50/50 mix up after any string xx flamethrower connects.

Anything better for a custom variation?

@RoboCop
I am thinking about the air dash instead of flamethrower, with the cmd grab. Anyone fooled around with it?

Also since this is a safe space, I will admit to tinkering around with trick shot mainly because I'm sick of doing d4 into the AA when I try for d4lowshot. You've all been there! Getting that 100% of the time is a big deal and it still "restands" at 0. I subbed it in for the flamethrower while still running low shot and the grab.

If nothing else, trick shot is such a weird and fun animation that I'm using it to welcome in the kustom era. It's a decent zoning tool on its own i guess but it doesn't reach max screen and obviously isn't the counterzoning/God button lowshot is. I imagine but havent spent enough time that it can slow down advances which is good because the cobra cannon is ridic and not a tool im used to yet.

Last edited:

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
I am thinking about the air dash instead of flamethrower, with the cmd grab. Anyone fooled around with it?
I'm an outlier but v3 (On Patrol) is my favorite variation, so I've been using the air charge all along. It's a great move; gives you air-to-air dominance, gets you over some zoning, gives you a jump-in mix-up, and just all-around useful pressure. I think it has more utility overall than the flamethrower. But that said, giving up flamethrower in a loadout with low auto-9 and command grab means giving up strong reset pressure, which really limits the usefulness of the CG. So that would be a tough trade-off.
Also since this is a safe space, I will admit to tinkering around with trick shot mainly because I'm sick of doing d4 into the AA when I try for d4lowshot. You've all been there! Getting that 100% of the time is a big deal and it still "restands" at 0. I subbed it in for the flamethrower while still running low shot and the grab.

If nothing else, trick shot is such a weird and fun animation that I'm using it to welcome in the kustom era. It's a decent zoning tool on its own i guess but it doesn't reach max screen and obviously isn't the counterzoning/God button lowshot is. I imagine but havent spent enough time that it can slow down advances which is good because the cobra cannon is ridic and not a tool im used to yet.
I wouldn't sleep on trick shot. It's not on the level of low auto-9 overall, but definitely has uses. Covers about 3/4 screen distance with super quick travel time, so it's hard to react to if you're trying to zone or just not looking for it. The far version covers a lot of vertical screen space at mid-range, so it's good for catching people trying to jump. As a side bonus, it's also got a hilarious brutality. :D Giving up the AA shot is a real downside, but not a deal-breaker.

The first custom Robocop variation I'm going to put serious time into is cheval trap, air charge, and trick shot. Basically On Patrol but dropping the worthless electric shield and finally getting fast, meterless, mid-hitting zoning pressure to complement his other tools. I'll play with low auto-9 in place of trick shot too, but since that gives up meterless reset pressure from the straight auto-9, I think I'm going to prefer the former.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Unfortunately, not only did RoboCop not receieve any much-needed buffs this patch, they instead decided to give him slight nerfs to his pokes. It kills me to say it, but RoboCop is straight trash in this game. He's still reliant on garbage high launchers to get 20% midscreen or 30% corner. His low-shot is a scrub killer but overall it doesn't warrant having zero utility elsewhere. His d2, u2, and u3 are among the worst in the game. He can be utterly disrespected at all points during a match because even if you fuck up and eat a full kombo, odds are you're taking less than 20% damage, so the risk/reward is almost always in your favor.

Dante

Noob
Idk how you ppl always think NRS will do good changes lol
thats some of the most no balls patch notes ive read

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Coming from a self-admitted NRS apologist, they clearly did not care about adding Robocop to the game and definitely don't care about seeing him competitively

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Flamethrower and command throw is a banned combination.

Ya'll thought you were going to have fun with this character?

Hell no. LOL.

Edit: Low auto, command throw, and spikes will arguably end up being the best variation.

Last edited:

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Unfortunately, not only did RoboCop not receieve any much-needed buffs this patch, they instead decided to give him slight nerfs to his pokes. It kills me to say it, but RoboCop is straight trash in this game. He's still reliant on garbage high launchers to get 20% midscreen or 30% corner. His low-shot is a scrub killer but overall it doesn't warrant having zero utility elsewhere. His d2, u2, and u3 are among the worst in the game. He can be utterly disrespected at all points during a match because even if you fuck up and eat a full kombo, odds are you're taking less than 20% damage, so the risk/reward is almost always in your favor.
Yep, I agree of course. I'm just trying (trying real hard, dammit) to be optimistic that his time to shine is coming. Friggin' NRS, don't let me down on this. :confused: :oops:

I can't and won't truly defend the cup of warm piss Robo got in this patch, but still feel compelled to mention a couple things.
1. He's still a new character. Sure, six months is enough time to determine that he's in sorry shape, but there are other characters in sorry shape who've been waiting a lot longer, and most of them barely got anything in this patch either. This doesn't prove they've given up on him.

2. To play devil's advocate, only his d1 got a slight nerf. His d3 and d4 got slight buffs. Gamechangers? Hell no, of course not. BUT he did already have one of the best d4's in the game and it got slightly better.

3. I do have to point out that he did get a real, true buff to his parry that I failed to notice until I read the patch notes. Not sure how many others actually use his parry, but I do. And it always drove me crazy that it blocked some low projectiles but not others. Specifically, it would block anything that technically hit low but still visually touched his shield (e.g., low fireball, low fan, low buzzsaw, Sindel's star screamer) but wouldn't block anything traveling very low to the ground: Jade's edenian spark, Skarlet's blood trail, Joker's batsy pew pew, Erron's drop shot. I just tested it and it now blocks all of those. I know, I know... it's a drop in the bucket... wasn't his most pressing need... but it's something. I'm happy about it.

Anyway, I'm still going to try out a few custom variations to see if I can get Ws. If it gets me too triggered, I'll probably put Robocop away until the next patch.

Dante

Noob
How can you play without wrist rocket tho. Playing the strike game with command throw is terrible for robo. Minimum rewards.
So i say, low shot, wrist rocket, DOT trap/cmd throw cause everything else sucks. Or good old flame thrower v2

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
What I'm hoping...

...this was a big path, between the new content and gameplay changes. From a dev perspective tackling that and big balance changes is a lot. What SHOULD happen is a subsequent balance patch that cleans this stuff up SOON, like not 6-12 months from now.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
How can you play without wrist rocket tho.
I think assault cannon is better. More damage, more chip damage, connects after 1,2,1 and f+3,2 for 20%+ damage, superior aerial hitbox, can be utilized for keep away like Deathshot's low rifle, etc.

I think low auto and cheval trap are necessities. Cheval trap ignores projectile parries, disables dashing, and safely chips opponents at the end of round.

The third and final special move is a toss-up between command grab and aerial charge, which is safe on block and allows access to shield. Command grab may seem like the obvious option, but I feel the move does not complement Robocop's gameplay very well. You really want to use regular throws to build the krushing blow. On the other hand, regular throws now appear to have less priority while the command grab is an unblockable mid attack.

Who knows. Unfortunately, Robocop is arguably my best character now. LOL.

Dante

Noob
I think assault cannon is better. More damage, more chip damage, connects after 1,2,1 and f+3,2 for 20%+ damage, superior aerial hitbox, can be utilized for keep away like Deathshot's low rifle, etc.

I think low auto and cheval trap are necessities. Cheval trap ignores projectile parries, disables dashing, and safely chips opponents at the end of round.

The third and final special move is a toss-up between command grab and aerial charge, which is safe on block and allows access to shield. Command grab may seem like the obvious option, but I feel the move does not complement Robocop's gameplay very well. You really want to use regular throws to build the krushing blow. On the other hand, regular throws now appear to have less priority while the command grab is an unblockable mid attack.

Who knows. Unfortunately, Robocop is arguably my best character now. LOL.
Yeah id go with aerial charge over throw. I still prefer wrist rocket cause f21 is pretty good if nothing else. But the plus frames on ex and the low recovery allowing you to do some good things. Also it cant be jumped easily

M2Dave

Zoning Master
After a week of playing Robocop, I have come to the conclusion that he has become a lot better. Unfortunately, so has every other character. LOL. I feel as though many match ups had become more difficult while very few, if any, had become easier. Shang Tsung, for example, is a character whom Robocop used to beat, but because Shang Tsung players will almost certainly equip ground eruption with shake, your zoning is severely limited.

Out of the three new characters, Rambo may be the worse match up because whip trap, which acts as an unparriable projectile that does 7% of damage and knocks down, is an effective counter-zoning tool while snare trap low profiles low gunshot like Cetrion's ground pound. So you are essentially fighting a character who is better than you up close as well as from a distance.

I believe that a character like Kitana equipped with low fan toss, razors, and ground war may be a superior selection. Low fan toss serves the same function as low gunshot, and you have the benefits of using a character with a female hitbox, reliable AAs, better low pokes, access to worthy reversal attacks, more damage, etc.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Do you like to use the EX assault cannon after 1,2,1 or f+3,2?

Don't!

If opponents perform a fast break away, they can quick rise and punish you with a full combo.

LOL.

This character is horrendous.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I might switch Assault Cannon back to Wrist Rocket. Wrist Rocket may be janky, but it can at least hit aerial opponents. Since swapping it to Cobra Cannon, I keep getting eaten alive by Kabals, Laos, and Fujins just staying in the air all day and utterly avoiding my offense.

Malec

Noob
Why is Flamethrower/CG combo not allowed? Is this a Joke? Are there any other Characters that are not allowed to combine tournament legal moves?
I just came back to the Game and checking out different Characters. Was looking forward to check out Robocop next, but reading here sounds like, it would be a waste of time, if I dont want to end up with a Shao Kahn level Character

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Why is Flamethrower/CG combo not allowed? Is this a Joke? Are there any other Characters that are not allowed to combine tournament legal moves?
I just came back to the Game and checking out different Characters. Was looking forward to check out Robocop next, but reading here sounds like, it would be a waste of time, if I dont want to end up with a Shao Kahn level Character
I'm actually not positive it is, and am not sure where that idea started. I was messing with kustom variations the other day and I couldn't find any indication that the combination isn't allowed.