What's new

The Reptile Props Thred

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
In all seriousness though, it's not necessarily whether Reptile actually is top 10 or not, it's the fact that he was able to do what he did to 2 of the most prolific members of the top 5 this weekend, from someone going off of tech from 2011 lol.

That being said, the talk of MK9 being a 5 character game needs to stop when a lot of characters in Chef's list are interchangeable with eachother. I think at this point it's only the bottom 8 or so that are straight up hopeless at tournament level.
Been saying this for four months

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Can we also stop acting like Chris G has 0 experience with this game?

He honestly goes to more MK tournaments than 99% of people on this site. He plays mk9 at majors more than I can at locals.

Yeah his combos kind of suck but that's just a Chris G thing.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Ok so I'm going to just state my opinion on this, I hope it sinks through to some. I absolutely 100% believe that Reptile is a top ten character at this point now. I've done a lot of messing around in the lab even to this day and I've worked a lot on my fundamentals as a whole. I've realized that this character relies on footsies more than most of the characters in the game, and that he is a character that requires more work than anyone in top ten besides Shang or maybe Smoke or Jax. This being said, a lot of you don't really know what it's like playing the character, and I don't think you really understand the work it takes to win with him. I've placed top 8 at a small major with him before and never caught props like these guys did, and that wasn't during one of my emo phases lol. The character has placed top 8 on multiple occasions, but most of the people have patience and fundamentals to make the character play to his full potential. I don't like to think this is downplaying, because I'm fully aware of how good the character is, but I do think he takes work to master.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I talked to Chris at VXG about Reptile. He doesn't understand why Reptile isn't popular as a tournament character since he's good, simple and does well against the top tier. I told him I used to host a podcast were I yelled at the community every week about that.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
hes viable but you wont win tournaments with him.. too many bad mus
kung lao
cyrax
kabal
johnny cage
mileena
sonya
freddy

possibly liu skarlet and kenshi as well

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
hes viable but you wont win tournaments with him.. too many bad mus
kung lao
cyrax
kabal
johnny cage
mileena
sonya
freddy

possibly liu skarlet and kenshi as well
Gen has bad matchups as well.

Didn't stop Xian from taking EVO with him alone.

There's more to taking a tournament than how many characters have a higher number vs you in matchup charts. 4-6s aren't insurmountable POS matchups lmao.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW

There's more to taking a tournament than how many characters have a higher number vs you in matchup charts. 4-6s aren't insurmountable POS matchups lmao.
no but the odds are heavily against him winning a mu.. also sonya is pretty fucked up

Pig Of The Hut

I talked to Chris at VXG about Reptile. He doesn't understand why Reptile isn't popular as a tournament character since he's good, simple and does well against the top tier. I told him I used to host a podcast were I yelled at the community every week about that.
Tell them what chris asked you about cyrax lol

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Ok so I'm going to just state my opinion on this, I hope it sinks through to some. I absolutely 100% believe that Reptile is a top ten character at this point now. I've done a lot of messing around in the lab even to this day and I've worked a lot on my fundamentals as a whole. I've realized that this character relies on footsies more than most of the characters in the game, and that he is a character that requires more work than anyone in top ten besides Shang or maybe Smoke or Jax. This being said, a lot of you don't really know what it's like playing the character, and I don't think you really understand the work it takes to win with him. I've placed top 8 at a small major with him before and never caught props like these guys did, and that wasn't during one of my emo phases lol. The character has placed top 8 on multiple occasions, but most of the people have patience and fundamentals to make the character play to his full potential. I don't like to think this is downplaying, because I'm fully aware of how good the character is, but I do think he takes work to master.
What happened to Joker the downplayer?

BTW, Shang isn't top 10

Pig Of The Hut

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
facepalm because you dont think those are his bad mu?
I'm gonna guess because of the Mileena matchup. I thought everyone solved the problems she gives Reptile's hitbox at least a year ago lol.

Also (and I'm asking anyone) why is Cage considered bad for Reptile?

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Your logic says bad mus stop a top player from winning

chris g just beat PL's lao and kabal something no other reptile has done

Ive beaten 90% of laos i played
no i said that its very unlikely youll ever see reptile win a major because of his numerous bad mus. not that these mus are unwinnable, just uphill. Only sonya and somewhat cyrax are pretty fucked up

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Tell them what chris asked you about cyrax lol

While Chris was playing a human Cyrax he was getting blown up by the invincible teleport. Dizzy and I laughed about how Chris probably has no idea the teleport recovery is invincible. Right after winning he comes to us and asks "is that teleport invincible!". We explained how it works and is different from robot Rax. He laughed and said "good to know".

Chris G is awesome.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
no but the odds are heavily against him winning a mu.. also sonya is pretty fucked up
4-6s aren't heavily against him in the odds department. Sonya is hard, yes, not insurmountable, though. Until you get into the 8-2 territory, there really isn't a matchup that you can't just play lol.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
lol thats awesome. I regret we never got him on KTP. We coulda talked power rangers and the color green. Weird how he used to be a full blown heel back then in the MKC.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
STRYKIE Mileena has been argued about four about two years now. I think it's 5-5, but a lot of others in the community think it's still 4-6. I personally would have 0 trouble playing a Mileena in a tournament setting. Cage is a little hard though because he gets in on Reptile's zoning pretty easily and beats him pretty badly up close.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
STRYKIE Mileena has been argued about four about two years now. I think it's 5-5, but a lot of others in the community think it's still 4-6. I personally would have 0 trouble playing a Mileena in a tournament setting. Cage is a little hard though because he gets in on Reptile's zoning pretty easily and beats him pretty badly up close.
Hm, fair enough, does it warrant being 4-6 though? Don't get me wrong, being a Scorp and Sektor player I know how much it sucks to have compensated pokes. But where do we draw the line and give the Cage player credit for just reading counterpokes correctly? I'd rather have a safe 7 frame uppercut and a 6 frame EX dash that jails if not scouted, than EX spear. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Hm, fair enough, does it warrant being 4-6 though? Don't get me wrong, being a Scorp and Sektor player I know how much it sucks to have compensated pokes. But where do we draw the line and give the Cage player credit for just reading counterpokes correctly? I'd rather have a safe 7 frame uppercut and a 6 frame EX dash that jails if not scouted, than EX spear. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
He simply has to be aware of elbow dash. So if Reptile guesses wrong he eats about 22% and is put right back into pressure, where if he guess right he gets 11% and an oki setup. His dash is so godlike that he doesn't ever really have to feel threatened by zoning or dash unless the dash gets really well timed. Overall it's very manageable, but Cage has a pretty easy time getting in compared to most, and when he is in he has a pretty big advantage. There aren't very many points on screen where Cage feels very threatened, except full screen or in the corner, because d4 acid hand on repeat works really well against cage in the corner for some reason.