What's new

General/Other The Old Sub Zero

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
He's not really "bad" as in shitty character that can't win.

I think it's more like he's not tourney viable anymore in the current meta-game. Almost every top tier character wrecks him. So it's getting almost impossible to win with Sub alone.
I hate that.

Him and Scorpion being the poster boys of MK and he isn't tournament worthy... that's pretty fail.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
Baiting an armored move out of the corner is part of his corner game. Like I said before, SZ takes a lot of work as a high level player you have to be able make good reads almost all the time with him which is why high level players like Brady make him look so good. If I could have ONE thing for Sub it'd be armor on his EX Freeze or his slide under all duckable projectiles after a certain frame but not both.

Nice to see Bradys name in the forums as well. Hope all is well.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
The character still has good fndamentals, he just has a lot of matchup issues now because of the direction the game's developed in. NRS are entirely responsible for Sub-Zero being a bandaid character. Tom was right to say he was playing a bandaid character after the last patch because everybody is now playing a bandaid Sub-Zero. The reason why? The amount of armour in the game. He's still decent but he can't dominate any matchup anymore. He can still kind of dominate Cyber Sub-Zero (that is a really good matchup for Sub-Zero), but if Cyber Sub had armour on his ex divekick (speaking hypothetically), the matchup would go from being a 6.5-3.5 in Sub's favour (maybe it's 7-3), to more of a 5.5-4.5. Immediately. Now, when you consider something like that, is it any wonder Sub's favourable matchups have all taken a hit? If the character drops points in most of his favourable matchups because it's deemed unfair for Sub-Zero to completely control the pace of the fight with the clone, then perhaps the character should just be removed from the game entirely, since there's really little point in playing the character if he's stripped of the very qualities that make him worthwhile in the first place. You can't play Sub-Zero defensively with the clone, so he's become a rushdown character without the same advantages most of the other rushdown characters have when it comes to safely approaching. That's what makes him a bandaid character. That's why he has so many matchup issues even though his fundamentals are still the best of any character I've explored in any detail.

It doesn't make him "bad", it's just almost as though he's out of place in MK9, which is somewhat strange for one of the most popular characters in the game, lol.

Just my two cents. Not those of a top player, so feel free to agree or disagree.

iMLGzus

Venom Addict/Space Pope
if you 212 clone in the corner
someone correct me if im wrong, but doesnt 212 clone recover slow enough that fast EX specials (a la Shadow Kick, Dash Punch, etc.) can hit Sub after they block? or were you referring to on hit?

Been away from this game for so long due to major :salt: factor from all the fucking armor that I forget what does what any more. Still loyal to Sub, even as a main, and I'd always pick him over Raiden or KL in a tourney despite getting blown up. It's just all the changes and such have killed this game for me. Online sucks and NRS (despite all the GOOD hot fixes they had, which were needed) patched this game into the ground in my opinion...

/endmini-rant

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
someone correct me if im wrong, but doesnt 212 clone recover slow enough that fast EX specials (a la Shadow Kick, Dash Punch, etc.) can hit Sub after they block? or were you referring to on hit?
Yes. Ermac can also force push, I believe, and I'm sure there are others.