What's new

Discussion The Next Big Thing NRS Needs to add to their games?

I was wondering what you guys think the next big hurdle for NRS games is?

I tend to feel that after the Rollback Networking fix NRS have basically passed the stage and is now looking at a new boss... I think that boss is Online Match Making.

I was watching @PND_Ketchup youtube chan and game after game is just him vs complete scrubs. Then I watch say Sabian or Excellent Adventures and the matches seam to find much better players. It seams that when I play as well I get absolute scrubs, or people that are just completely beyond me.

I think there are some factors that could be part of this....

1) The size of the player pool. Maybe the match making sucks as there simply is not enough players so you connect to whom ever is looking for a match, regardless. The fix for this could be cross platform matchmaking. Make a much larger pool across pc, ps4 and xbone.

2) The lack of re-matching options. KI has best of three in ranked and SF has the ability to rematch in ranked. Could it be that many players simply never play ranked, apart form the mega casuals? NRS needs to make ranked a better choice as the default game mode, like Street Fighter and KI has. Playing actual sets like in KI, or using a point system to encourage rematches like is SF5 could be a massive fix.

3.a) A Tiered Skill system. I do not know if this is common in games, but SFV has it and I first saw it really in Starcraft 2. Bronze, Silver Gold leagues etc etc. Some kind of tiered system that players need to work to get into and from there they are never matched with lower ranked players or something like that. This seams to be one of the biggest things that should be implemented imo.

3.b) This is basically the same point, but what makes tiered systems work (I think) is some kind of points system. There needs to be some kind of accruing currency. I particularly liked SFIV that had two points values, one linked to you globally and one to that particular character.

So that is my thoughts on what NRS need to seriously look at now..... proper Match Making that actually functions, as well as making the ranked play mode fun and feel like it is a great way to play, which it just isn't at the moment. I mean before the online sucked so much, who cared, but now.. it plays well, I want to play people that play well.

• Cross Platform Match Making
  • Points / Leveling System
  • Tiered Player Levels
What are your thoughts on what NRS should be looking at next to improve the "fundamental" fighting game experience?

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
More interesting stuff.
Make the extras you add to your game worth it...which I feel like they're about to nail with IGAU2 and their gear system. factor that in with the Factions and add more offline modes (BRING BACK KONQUEST) and make the efforts you put in worthwhile.

Also: they should make the next MK a full blown tag game, thereby forcing themselves to balance it more sanely from the start.
MK has done literally EVERYTHING else a fighting game franchise can do to itself over the years...everything but make a 2V2 game.

Deadly Alliance II.

Didn't mk9 have a tag 2v2 mode? I pretty sure it did, I mean I never played it but I think it was there.

I get that people like Tag, obviously you do, and that is cool and all.

Still for me TAG just feels like a mode that pulls dev time away form the real game.. 1v1. All that extra tag balance and special moves between cast members when teamed up.. I just feel personally that this is sorta a waste of development resources that could be spend on making the 1v1 experience so great.

Plus you need to have a mate to play it.. and sure many people do, but as a "default" stance I think a lot more people play computer games alone?

Wigy

There it is...
Ranked in mkx means nothing, getting top 100 in europe takes like one day. Would be better if they calculated rankings better. It should also be a FT3 with the character lock rules like tournament.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
I would love to see some really fleshed out high quality matchmaking. It would really make for a better viewing experience for both Youtube and Twitch if it matched good records against each other, or if they even scrapped W/L and went for a point system like every other game.

It's getting quite frustrating from a content creator point of view. I really don't want to sound elitist in any way, everyone plays to improve and people can't help it if they're new or are just trying to get better. But with my current schedule, I just don't have the time to sit and cherry pick really good matches, which tbh, I really don't want to do anyway. I dislike cherry picking games because it suggests people only upload matches they win.

We were told that PS4 was leaps and bounds ahead of every other system when it comes to games, but I don't notice a difference at all really. Ranked is still ranked. You just find people faster.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
just a heads up, thats not how tiering works in SC2. It attempts to group you close to your level (or at least claims it does) but u still see shit like fresh bronze and silvers vs masters and grandmasters

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
I would love to have tag team back. That was awesome! In future MK games we need non ugly reptile costumes. Also, I want ranked to actually rank you up with people your skill level. That mode in mkx is a complete joke lol. it should be a Ft3 or ft5 too. Maybe have 1 or 2 guest characters, not 4. I know they sell damn well to casuals. Take away safe vortexes; that shit is annoying. Also, I agree with what @Wigy said. Character locked Oh, did I mention human ninja reptile? ;)

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
Please god no character lock. I like experimenting different matchups and stuff in ranked without having to pull myself out of search just to change variation or character. If I'm trying out hat trick I don't want to run into the Sonyas and the aliens without the chance to pick my main. Other than that I'm down.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Basically what I want in particular is
  • A ranking system in the style of SFV (Where there are actual ranks and it's best of 3 or at least more than 1 match like come on that's shitty)
  • Actually noticeable punishment for RQing/Just leaving because you're spooked (RIP @PND_Ketchup 's ranked vids, at least one person leaves every damn time) with the new ranked system this would be made very easy.
  • Better music (Come on NRS, you have the original MK Theme and yet the rest of your music is garbo)
  • Character lock would be pretty nice (would force people to learn matchups instead of just counter picking constantly)
  • STOP with the stupid plus frames and safe bullshit. When you're plus, it should either be slow as hell and very plus or if its a bit faster don't be more than like +3 on block, we do NOT need to be so godly on block.
  • When you trade, please make sure it's an ACTUAL trade. no Sonya Demo grenades and things like that where for some UNGODLY reason they stay on hit.

Wigy

There it is...
I think tag is fun. Its not a lot of extra work programming wise i imagine (though really i dont know) and its really fun for casuals etc.

Its guna be broke but who cares, mk9 had some aweeesome tag combo videos etc thats half what got me into mk9.

1) The size of the player pool. Maybe the match making sucks as there simply is not enough players so you connect to whom ever is looking for a match, regardless. The fix for this could be cross platform matchmaking. Make a much larger pool across pc, ps4 and xbone.
NOT PC, too many hackers in every freaking pc game iv seen, thats why I stopped playing pc games alltogetter, X1 and Ps4 would be cool tho.

E

Eldriken

How about a legitimate grappling character for a damn change? Also, get rid of throw immune strings/moves. Unless they're airborne or currently in too much hit stun, a throw/command grab should land.

Take Grundy for example. Doomsday can 3,3 through his Walking Corpse all day unless he cancels it. For whatever reason, 3,3 makes Doomsday immune to command grabs and such.

That kind of stuff should no longer be present.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
How about a legitimate grappling character for a damn change? Also, get rid of throw immune strings/moves. Unless they're airborne or currently in too much hit stun, a throw/command grab should land.

Take Grundy for example. Doomsday can 3,3 through his Walking Corpse all day unless he cancels it. For whatever reason, 3,3 makes Doomsday immune to command grabs and such.

That kind of stuff should no longer be present.
You sir, are the hero we need.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Is ranked match that popular? I think I've played 9 ranked matches in my entire life. Sitting there playing one-and-dones over and over never seemed appealing to me. Even in the lobbies it's like pulling teeth trying to find somebody to play more than 3-5 games, which doesn't do it for me. But it was etiquette to play FT10 when I started playing MKD, so that's my bias.

Still seems private matches with people from the boards is the way to go.