What's new

Breakthrough - Predator The New Predator in 1.12 (Warrior & Hish-Qu-Ten)

D4xxLaser Cancel is no longer safe against EX spin from Lao. #GUTTED
Actually I'm pretty sure it still is safe. I tested earlier today and I blocked his ex spin a few times in a row.
So is 4~pcc~f12 still a true blockstring?
Is 32~, 21~ and b31~pcc still advantage on block? (e.g. d3/d4-check guaranteed)
What's about 122~pcc?
Is b22~pcc still a tickthrow?

... can you still hitconfirm b31/32~pcc into f12?

... minor details like these will decide if predator remains upper tier, I guess.

Generally: have the cancels been toned down by reducing the block-/hitadvantage, or by increasing the frames until a move can be cancelled?
As for the cancels the hit advantage felt the same. I was able to cancel b22 into s4 and 32 into another 32 and they comboed and those were a couple of the tighter links. As far as the advantage on block they feel really close to the same as before. S4 still jails into f12. Everything is still plus (I tested by having Lao on reversal regular spin and any cancel into f12 beat his spin.
F12 cancel almost jailed into another f12 and it might but I didn't have much time to test. All in all they feel extremely close to the same to me. I would guess they're just a few frames off of what they were and are still good.

REO

Undead
Yeah. Predator can block Tempest EX spin with D+4 xx PC cancel. You just have to cancel it on the first possible frame.

However, I can't execute it so I can block Reptile's reversal EX Slide. This means his D+4 xx PC cancel is now -6. D+4 xx PC cancel used to be -4. I think this confirms the frames on cancels have all been nerfed by 2 frames. So whatever the frame advantage was for one of his older cancels, add 2 extra frames of start up to it for the new data.

@jokey77
@JDM
@Jer

navaroNe

Nobody's afraid of Bruce Wayne
Yeah. Predator can block Tempest EX spin with D+4 xx PC cancel. You just have to cancel it on the first possible frame.

However, I can't execute it so I can block Reptile's reversal EX Slide. This means his D+4 xx PC cancel is now -6. D+4 xx PC cancel used to be -4. I think this confirms the frames on cancels have all been nerfed by 2 frames. So whatever the frame advantage was for one of his older cancels, add 2 extra frames of start up to it for the new data.

@jokey77
@JDM
@Jer
cool nice find Reo. Looks like f12 still links just much harder to do as well as some of the tighter cancels he has. still pretty lame though, don't know why they felt the need to mess with predator's subpar cancel game with the likes of Liu Kang and A-list still running strong. Does F4 appear to be buffed at all to anyone? They did say they were buffing a lot of the big boot F4 moves but I can't tell if it looks faster or it's just me.

Reactions: REO

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Strong chip damage has always been a Staple in nrs games. Fucking stupid to get rid of it imo
In MKX specifically it does help balance out the difference between offense and defense. Against certain characters you were pretty much at a disadvantage any time they were in your face, no matter if you're blocking or not.

REO

Undead
If anyone finds anything new that's NOT in the OP, post here and I'll update the thread. Thanks.

Poshib

The Artman
It doesn't seem like the changes made to HQT were of any major significance besides the MB beams not building any meter. I also think that Breakers taking both players stamina actually helps more than hurts him since your opponents can't run in after. Do you guys really think that Predator isn't top 5 anymore?

REO

Undead
It doesn't seem like the changes made to HQT were of any major significance besides the MB beams not building any meter. I also think that Breakers taking both players stamina actually helps more than hurts him since your opponents can't run in after. Do you guys really think that Predator isn't top 5 anymore?
He hasn't been top five since the nerfs after Tremor was released. He was top five back THEN when he had his mid standing 3, a ton of advantage on low lasers, crazy damage, etc.

In the version of the game before MKXL I had him at the bottom of top ten. This is where I put HQT Predator:

1.) Kung Lao
2.) Tanya
3.) Quan Chi
4.) Cassie Cage
5.) Tremor
6.) Liu Kang
7.) Johnny Cage
8 - 9) Jax / Sonya (Tie pretty much)
10.) Predator / Takeda / Kung Jin / D'Vorah(Tie pretty much)

If you're talking where is he after MKXL? I have no idea. I will probably get a small feel for where he is against this new cast in a month or two.

This is all my opinion, of course.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
He hasn't been top five since the nerfs after Tremor was released. He was top five back THEN when he had his mid standing 3, a ton of advantage on low lasers, crazy damage, etc.

In the version of the game before MKXL I had him at the bottom of top ten. This is where I put HQT Predator:

1.) Kung Lao
2.) Tanya
3.) Quan Chi
4.) Cassie Cage
5.) Tremor
6.) Liu Kang
7.) Johnny Cage
8 - 9) Jax / Sonya (Tie pretty much)
10.) Predator / Takeda / Kung Jin / D'Vorah(Tie pretty much)

If you're talking where is he after MKXL? I have no idea. I will probably get a small feel for where he is against this new cast in a month or two.

This is all my opinion, of course.
I had Sonya (Demo) as top 5, probably number 5 lol. But I agree, Predator was never OP I think he barely made top 10 before.

REO

Undead
So I just found out some new nerfs! All his laser attacks now also build less meter when executed. They build about half of the meter you would get from doing any other special attack:

- Performing any low plasma shot attacks now builds less super meter.
- Performing any straight plasma shot now builds less super meter.
- Performing any up plasma shot now builds less super meter.

JDM

Noob
Holy The laser cancel is hard!!!! I doubt I'll ever get this consistent lol. But at least its good to know the option is still there if you're a god at laser cancels.

JDM

Noob
Doubt it. What does warrior have over HQT? Other than a get off me move? HQT's neutral just seems way way better.

Poshib

The Artman
Ya know, I can't even argue with that list and I can agree with your placement after really looking at it. Lol.

Poshib

The Artman
Doubt it. What does warrior have over HQT? Other than a get off me move? HQT's neutral just seems way way better.
Exactly. Even with the backhand buff, Warrior doesn't seem worth using over HQT or Hunter.

JDM

Noob
The variation, to me, seems like something they just threw together for the hell of it. No real cohesiveness like HQT or Hunter. IDK, might just be me.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
The variation, to me, seems like something they just threw together for the hell of it. No real cohesiveness like HQT or Hunter. IDK, might just be me.
No Warrior definitely feels like the "oh shit we need three of these things" variation.

Shame his pretty face is stuck behind that variation.