What's new

The Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I don't get it... why not just start a WIKI and just start writing it, and edit other peoples contributions... the wiki is specifically invented to do exactly what you want.

It doesn't actually. What the MK Wiki does is incorporate fan knowledge. What this book will do is essentially force the writers, MK big wigs, Kittelsen to put their canon into a concrete source of material. It would also create a collector's item that would be invaluable to all MK fans, and also serve as sort of an artbook.

So yea, the MK Wikia doesn't do that.

Jynks

hmmm.. I guess. Not sure this is a good idea imo. Allowing MK to retain a "myth" like quality allows freedom for NRS. I do not think it is important that everything needs to be spelled out in detail.

I'm a life long comic book reader and there is a reasons they keep rebooting continuities, changing things, using extra realities. It allows freedom of storytelling. The more you define something the less you are able to deviate to make interesting tales. MK has already been rebooted once (well a soft reboot but you see my point)

"What this book will do is essentially force the writers, MK big wigs, Kittelsen to put their canon into a concrete source of material."

Imo, this is the perfect argument for why this should never be an official document.

I personally think it should be created. Things are retconned and re-booted all the time in major universes, but something like this would allow new fans and old fans to connect on the same level and know the same information and it would be official. The MK wiki is not official, and the MK bible is not official, as stated in this forum post - the person who runs it, SIGNED our petition.

This is something that folks of new and old origin can reference for their favorite MK lore and characters. Plus we could finally found out why Chameleon was Kahn's most dangerous assassin!

Come on, what harm does signing and sharing it have? You simply support the creation of a book that could essentially double as an immense artbook encompassing the entire series.

Jynks

well, I dunno. It seams pretty silly to me.. I mean wouldn't it be woefully out of date almost instantly. It isn't like MK is going to stop production after ten.. are you going to want a new book every year? Living stories like MK that are constantly changing and expanding need a dynamic record system. I still think a well maintained wiki would be the way to go.

Now a nice hardcover gloss Art Book with some bios and Locations... now that I could get behind.

Jynks

hmm well that isn't what you asked for ... you are talking about a data repository of information ... an encyclopedia. So if what you want is an art book with a few captions, then that is not what you said in the post.

It sort of is, actually. We want a book containing the lore of MK, a complete book containing every character, every stage, information from every game, included in said book. We may call it an encyclopedia, but what we want is just that. a compilation of every game's characters, information, stages, races, etc. Maybe even different iterations of each character, images of each of their appearances.

MK2D

Have you had your MK today?
This would be outstanding. People, myself included, buy collector's edition game guides like those cool hardcover ones from Future Press, but this could beat all that to hell.

Imagine a very stylish hardcover book with hundreds of pages of lore, art, lossless in-game archived images from behind the scenes, personal stories behind all the games' development from the creators themselves, etc.

This really deserves and needs to become a reality!

ErMac333

Noob
Hey! Yeah, we sent a presentation and all mock ups to them on Monday. I'm waiting on a response from them.
I've been A LOT excited about this project and it's great to have all the information "officialized", made concrete and a solid resource for future reference.

Are these mockups public already or something? Really curious on how they look like! Btw, what is the objective about the art? Will you do the final art for the pages or it will be taken care of by a professional design team? (don't know if you guys are designers too, that's why I'm asking actually) :D

The mock ups were done by folks helping us out, and we only have 3-4. It doesn't mean the pages will actually look like the mock ups, so they're not public yet.

We are waiting to hear word back before we do anything else. In concerns of art, one of the things we took away from the meeting with DK was that the page would definitely be very image heavy, so you won't have to worry about that.

Also, the book would be AT LEAST 200 pages.

I'm assuming we'll hear back within the next week or so. They did say that the presentation and materials were "awesome" but man the wait is killing us!

Max won't make a video. We've emailed him several times asking him. We've tweeted him like crazy. The guy won't do anything that doesn't directly impact or help him.

ErMac333

Noob
Max won't make a video. We've emailed him several times asking him. We've tweeted him like crazy. The guy won't do anything that doesn't directly impact or help him.
Yeah, predictable. He didn't waste a single second to put up that crap video of the DLC predictions in which he didn't even have the decence to mention Fujin. No wonder he doesn't agree to do a video about something only the fans will care for (opposed to the DLC one which is an explicit casual bait).

It's sad that we can't have support for raising awareness on this great plan. But if he's not gonna say something useful about MK, I personally wish he would just shut up about MK as a whole, instead of seeding for future stupid FB and Twitter comments on NRS decisions for KP2/UMKX towards the fan community.

Well, I'm spreading the word as far as I can between my friends, and I'm sure fans are doing the same. Let's always hope for the best in spite of these limits.

We need to figure out a way to get this to 5000 fast. I feel like that would be a very real bench mark. I've pretty much run out of ideas there - I had Uncaged, Brusk, Lovessmash, Etc all do videos. The twitter page hits fans of boon every 4 minutes, facebook, etc.

We will have some sort of information from DK this week.