What's new

Guide - Butcher "The Mix is Family" A Complete Butcher Guide

Immortal

Blind justice....
We had a big discussion about this a while ago and the conclusion was that ji2 (not ji1, it's got less hitstun) is the only button with enough advantage to force them to block both the oh and low 50/50. I'm not sure if it has to be a late ji2 or if you can do the ji2 after b2 and still get the vortex. With f1 and b2,b2 they can backdash or armor out of both or at least 1 option. Backdash is easiest, because you can buffer it. You can't buffer specials out of hitstun, so it's incredibly difficult to armor on frame 1 although possible with practice.
Only a VERY late ji2 guarantees OH (and obviously low), if you use ji1 or f1 they can simply backdash of anything you do after, neither low or oh wont catch them and you will get rekt on whiff (althou full oh string without canceling will catch shorter backdashes). People just respect jip1 thats why its working but in reality it doesn't guaranty anything, same as f1.

There is obviously a little guessing game here coz after the f1/jip1 you can always go for f1,2~leap which will catch even the best backdash in the game but in reality its usually a waste of dmg or reset potential.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I see, but tbh - F1 after B2 has done same good results for me as JIP1 (I was using crossup jip1 instead of jp2 before). Not once I got an opponent to backdash or armor after F1 hitstun. Either their lack in execution as they have very little window to react after F1, or they just don't know the MU.
Yeah, I think f1 is fine. It's too fast for them to react to and there are ways of beating backdash if they start catching on anyway. F1 is probably the way to go for now. The ji2 method takes some weird timing.

Awesome guide! One critique that I would add is that the "Meat Grinder" is kind of flawed because great players will just mash teching in either direction during combos unless they want to break. Red Raptor does that constantly. Even though Butcher doesn't care which side he throws, its still a 50% chance that you will be teched.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Awesome guide! One critique that I would add is that the "Meat Grinder" is kind of flawed because great players will just mash teching in either direction during combos unless they want to break. Red Raptor does that constantly. Even though Butcher doesn't care which side he throws, its still a 50% chance that you will be teched.
If you're behind enough, having a 50/50 in the middle of your combo to possible kill the opponent, it's worth.

CrazyFingers

Also thank you for the kind words. Appreciate the love for the guide.

CrazyFingers

Yeah, I think f1 is fine. It's too fast for them to react to and there are ways of beating backdash if they start catching on anyway. F1 is probably the way to go for now. The ji2 method takes some weird timing.
I've had equal success with B2 and F1. Btw you sure there's a gap after JiP1? I'm either bad or there isn't a gap (the bad bit is possibly more likely.)

CrazyFingers

So 2nd B2 also guarantees vortex without gaps as does crossup JIP? It seems that after 2nd B2 opponent gets stunned away from butcher (or that distance still gives you free 50/50?).

Also @CrazyFingers ty for your effort on LF on general. Feel free to tag me on Butcher updates as Im entering the butcher family.
I appreciate your appreciation for my appreciation of Leatherface. Will tag you when I find stuff.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I've had equal success with B2 and F1. Btw you sure there's a gap after JiP1? I'm either bad or there isn't a gap (the bad bit is possibly more likely.)
I tested it alot. The best way to test it is record a bunch of ji1 into a 50/50, make sure it doesn't combo. Then, play it back and just mash backdash after the ji1 connects. Check the frame data too. Ji2 has more hit adv I believe.

Also thank you for the kind words. Appreciate the love for the guide.
Will you be updating with more combos soon? Specifically metered combos? Or are they in another thread? I've decided to pick this character up since I love any character with a grapple and he's different, which is nice. Thanks a lot for the information, it has certainly helped!

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Will you be updating with more combos soon? Specifically metered combos? Or are they in another thread? I've decided to pick this character up since I love any character with a grapple and he's different, which is nice. Thanks a lot for the information, it has certainly helped!
I posted some metered corner combos in this thread here:
https://testyourmight.com/threads/the-mix-is-family-a-complete-butcher-guide.61940/#post-2190940

Maybe OP can include them in the combo section. I think other people have posted combos in this thread as well.

@CrazyFingers

CrazyFingers

@Rip Torn so I tested it out and while you CAN backdash the Jump In Punch 1, other than block correctly, backdash is your ONLY option. I tested it with one of the fastest reversals in the game (Sonya's 2f X-Ray) and nothing but you can still backdash. So basically I'd use JiP1 for your vortex until they actually start backdashing because that's a piece of tech that a lot of people don't know and even fewer people are going to know the difference between JiP1 and JiP2

CrazyFingers

Removed Meat Grinder section as it is not nearly as useful as our other options. Updated our mid screen combos to be completely optimal (We hit a lot harder than I had previously though) and added the "Jump In Punch after restand" section to give my two cents on that.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
@Rip Torn so I tested it out and while you CAN backdash the Jump In Punch 1, other than block correctly, backdash is your ONLY option. I tested it with one of the fastest reversals in the game (Sonya's 2f X-Ray) and nothing but you can still backdash. So basically I'd use JiP1 for your vortex until they actually start backdashing because that's a piece of tech that a lot of people don't know and even fewer people are going to know the difference between JiP1 and JiP2
Any armor or x-ray should work if you can backdash. The only problem is that you can't buffer at all. You have to do the entire input on the first frame. At least that is the conclusion I came to. I could be wrong. It's really difficult to armor, but X-rays should be much easier since you just push a button. You might even be able to hold block and just mash stance-switch.

CrazyFingers

Any armor or x-ray should work if you can backdash. The only problem is that you can't buffer at all. You have to do the entire input on the first frame. At least that is the conclusion I came to. I could be wrong. It's really difficult to armor, but X-rays should be much easier since you just push a button. You might even be able to hold block and just mash stance-switch.
hmmm, yea the gap must just be absurdly hard to abuse with armor.

CrazyFingers

How bad are matches against zoning characters? what about GM- does he have answers?
6-4 or worse?
GM matchup might ACTUALLY be in Butcher's favor slightly but it's at least 5-5. B4 checks every clone cancel and DB3 has giant hitbox that can check clone in the neutral. His tools to deal with zoners include being patient and inching your way in or EX BF3. The zoning matchups can be tough but none of them are unwinnable by any means. The worst a zoning matchup usually gets is like a high 6-4 (some of them are 7-3 but that's for only a couple of them)