What's new

General/Other - Mileena The Mileena General Discussion Thread (All Variations)

Arkayne

Jade Mod. Poison Ivy
What!? Wait, you mean as a punish or before she hits them?
Before she hits them. ( the guy was a Shinnok Player and did it so often that I seriously decided I'm not rolling anymore unless they jump.)

Either he was getting really lucky with throws, or he actually knew that this could happen.

Game Scavenger

Rage is true power!
You'e a cancer.

By the way, just so happens Mileena can be reaction thrown out of Roll. As I found out tonight in some long sets with people.
Thanks for the heads up on the Ball Roll sigh......You can also be thrown out of any version of Fade as well in the Ethereal variation and that's all that variation has to offer making it the worst design variation in the game.

Premonitionist

Call Me Premo - Mileena, D'Vorah, Cassie, Kitana.
can we all agree that the Kung Jin mu is ridiculously bad or is it just me
you cant even anti air roll because of his staff and divekick
You have to uppercut that ahole and that even sometimes gets stuffed lol
Before she hits them. ( the guy was a Shinnok Player and did it so often that I seriously decided I'm not rolling anymore unless they jump.)

Either he was getting really lucky with throws, or he actually knew that this could happen.
That kinda sux but why would he throw when he could block and punish or whiff punish, I would take that damage over a throw anyday. PS. You probably shouldn't do a non ex roll unless you're anti-airing or punishing something.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
That kinda sux but why would he throw when he could block and punish or whiff punish, I would take that damage over a throw anyday. PS. You probably shouldn't do a non ex roll unless you're anti-airing or punishing something.
I think its more psychological if anything. If a Roll is blocked and you get punished you kinda feel like its a shame but you will get him/her another time. If someone really was able to throw your roll on reaction once or twice in a match, that could really affect you mentally in a tournament setting let alone casuals. The threat of Roll becomes significantly reduced to the point that you might not want to use Mileena's best move except for anti-airing or for reversal punishes

Premonitionist

what an asshole foreal
Lmao yea I hate to admit having trouble but I really do have trouble vs Kung Jinn, I also have trouble against Sub-Zero. I respect all players and their characters but when I'm playing against those 2 it feels as if I shouldn't even try to roll or uppercut as an anti-air because I'm afraid it will get stuffed and I'll eat a full combo. I could just be timing my uppercut late but I know for sure my roll gets stuffed by both of them a lot. I wonder what other characters can stuff the roll with their jump in easily? Would be nice to know which ones I should be uppercutting and which ones I should be rolling. I guess that will just take more MU experience :)

Premonitionist

I think its more psychological if anything. If a Roll is blocked and you get punished you kinda feel like its a shame but you will get him/her another time. If someone really was able to throw your roll on reaction once or twice in a match, that could really affect you mentally in a tournament setting let alone casuals. The threat of Roll becomes significantly reduced to the point that you might not want to use Mileena's best move except for anti-airing or for reversal punishes
Yea I guess they could throw you out of your roll just to show they're capable of doing so and get in your head. Then again the threat of roll is already there, they are going to fear it no matter what. That's why the only time I try to use roll is for anti-airing, whiff punishing, reversal punishing, and projectile punishing. Sometimes doing the old yolo roll works but I don't think it's worth the risk (I do believe Mileena to be a high risk high reward character, but not risky enough to bet a quarter or more health on a non ex roll that they can block, throw, or whiff punish on reaction). But yea getting thrown out of a move on reaction could probably put anyone on tilt lol

You have to uppercut that ahole and that even sometimes gets stuffed lol

Haven't fought a Kung Jin yet, but would a jump back punch/kick be better? It was a sort of safety net in MK9 to avoid jump-in punch pressure while not taking full combo damage.

Also... completely disagree with using roll only for punish/anti-air. I see Roll as Mileena's version of KL Spin. She needs to make people respect it in the neutral game. Yes, she gets punished on block, but the fact that it's so fast, and can happen at anytime is part of her strength. Don't throw away games with it, but risking it every so often gives her another mindgame, imo.

No one can reaction throw her Roll within a certain range, obviously, but it's just dumb on principle.

Premonitionist

Haven't fought a Kung Jin yet, but would a jump back punch/kick be better? It was a sort of safety net in MK9 to avoid jump-in punch pressure while not taking full combo damage.

Also... completely disagree with using roll only for punish/anti-air. I see Roll as Mileena's version of KL Spin. She needs to make people respect it in the neutral game. Yes, she gets punished on block, but the fact that it's so fast, and can happen at anytime is part of her strength. Don't throw away games with it, but risking it every so often gives her another mindgame, imo.

No one can reaction throw her Roll within a certain range, obviously, but it's just dumb on principle.
I've only tried the jump back kick into sai a few times against Kung Jinn and it's kinda hit and miss. Sometimes it hits and I get a combo, sometimes he hits me and I get combo'd, It's probably just whoever is quicker on the trigger in that situation. I think I'm going to keep trying to uppercut until I'm certain it's not reliable, like I said I might have been timing it late.

As for using the roll in the neutral game I don't think that's a good Idea unless you're reacting to something and catching it on start up, or punishing something as I've stated before. Not every person is going to agree on that but that's what makes us different from each other. With different opinions we will have different styles of play, which is what makes us players unique from one another.

Last edited:

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Well, after touring what feels like half the damn roster, I think I have to come back to Mileena. She struggles, but she also has some really good strengths.

I notice the meta is changing now regarding knockdowns. A lot of people are doing the delayed wakeup which seems pretty tricky for mileena to handle.

A lot of chars will do a whiffed d3 or d4 to set the timing of their string to catch someone delaying their wakeup. I'm at work so I'm just theory crafting here, but what are some of your options on her knockdown?

Also, Mileena has some dirt with some of her hkd's into teleport. They can completely reverse wakeups. I forgot to post that earlier. Best results are naked (which are not entirely practical) but they can be done in standard combos as well.

Premonitionist

Reaction thrown? Out of a 7f roll?

REACTION thrown?

Reads maybe, but I doubt it's on reaction.
If you do the roll from far away they can react and throw...still don't think anyone should be tuck and rolling from far away though, unless they're punishing something. (Sorry I keep bringing the punish thing up, not trying to sound like a grayson lol)

Premonitionist

Well, after touring what feels like half the damn roster, I think I have to come back to Mileena. She struggles, but she also has some really good strengths.

I notice the meta is changing now regarding knockdowns. A lot of people are doing the delayed wakeup which seems pretty tricky for mileena to handle.

A lot of chars will do a whiffed d3 or d4 to set the timing of their string to catch someone delaying their wakeup. I'm at work so I'm just theory crafting here, but what are some of your options on her knockdown?

Also, Mileena has some dirt with some of her hkd's into teleport. They can completely reverse wakeups. I forgot to post that earlier. Best results are naked (which are not entirely practical) but they can be done in standard combos as well.
I'm going to mess around with delayed wake up options later on today to find out what I should do if they do short or long delay, I'm assuming whiff D+3 for short then mix-up, or whiff D+4 for long delay, then mix-up (Theory Crafting). I'm going to mess around with the tele-kick at the end of combos too to see what kind of set-ups/mix-ups she can get (if any). Also admit it you came to Mileena because of that skin lol.

I've only tried the jump back kick into sai a few times against Kung Jinn and it's kinda hit and miss. Sometimes it hits and I get a combo, sometimes he hits me and I get combo'd, It's probably just whoever is quicker on the trigger in that situation. I think I'm going to keep trying to uppercut until I'm certain it's not reliable, like I said I might have been timing it late.

As for using the roll in the neutral game I don't think that's a good Idea unless you're reacting to something and catching it on start up, or punishing something as I've stated before. Not every person is going to agree on that but that's what makes us different from each other. With different opinions we will have different styles of play, which is what makes us players unique from one another.
Oh he can combo you off the air-to-air? Ugh never mind. Usually, people aren't expecting you to be in juggle state from a last-minute jump back move. If he has the range to just keep combo'ing, it's not worth it. (And if we're talking online forget about it, lol.)

As for Roll, FulIscreen Roll is asking for trouble, sure. Probably why Arkayne was getting reaction thrown. And I agree. There are different styles, but it's more about having open-minded discussion than establishing differences in players. I've played competitive fighters for a number of years now, and I've learned you can sometimes benefit from an idea or perspective that you, yourself, may never have considered.

Last edited:

TheGabStandard

I agree with this, using Roll in the neutral game can give the illusion that you are playing random which bugs A LOT of people but its something that shouldn't be thrown out whenever you feel like it.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
If you do the roll from far away they can react and throw...still don't think anyone should be tuck and rolling from far away though, unless they're punishing something. (Sorry I keep bringing the punish thing up, not trying to sound like a grayson lol)
How reliable do you find F1 for stuffing wakeups. God, I got such a Mileena oki/footsie boner right now.

Premonitionist

Oh he can combo you off the air-to-air? Ugh never mind. Usually, people aren't expecting you to be in juggle state from a last-minute jump back move. If he has the range to just keep combo'ing, it's not worth it. (And if we're talking online forget about it, lol.)

As for Roll, FulIscreen Roll is asking for trouble, sure. Probably why Arkayne was getting reaction thrown. And I agree. There are different styles, but it's more about having open-minded discussion than establishing differences in players. I've played competitive fighters for a number of years now, and I've learned you can sometimes benefit from an idea or opinion that you, yourself, may never have considered.
Yea Kung Jinn has that natural ability to just convert off anything lol

And yea, I agree with you that you can definitely benefit from open-minded discussion and listening or reading an idea or opinion that you may not have considered. In this case I've already considered using the ball in the neutral game and I just don't think it's right for me...for now. Things can always change and I'm a pretty open-minded person. Very good discussion though, I'm sure others will read these and have there own opinions as well :)

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I'm going to mess around with delayed wake up options later on today to find out what I should do if they do short or long delay, I'm assuming whiff D+3 for short then mix-up, or whiff D+4 for long delay, then mix-up (Theory Crafting). I'm going to mess around with the tele-kick at the end of combos too to see what kind of set-ups/mix-ups she can get (if any). Also admit it you came to Mileena because of that skin lol.
I was already at Mileena, but it was for the deception skin, this is just some very lovely icing on the cake :)

But yea premo, ending in I think F4 4? Or it might have been B34 ends in a hard knockdown splat.

You can tele immediately after that with complete impunity. You can delay it slightly or do it instantly. You drop right on their face.

I have it written down in my notebook at home. Still needs more exploring but it had REALLY good oki potential considering it's hard to even tell what side she is going to be on. It was strong because it made backdashes turn into a forward dash into you, therefore no escape.

Premonitionist

How reliable do you find F1 for stuffing wakeups. God, I got such a Mileena oki/footsie boner right now.
I think the F+1 string is very good for stuffing regular wake ups but not so much for armored wake ups. For a lot of armored wake ups you can use just a standing 3 and it will beat them because it hits twice really fast. It's very match up specific though so I would definitely test it on friends or in training mode against that character before you use it competitively. Also any of her mids or lows will stuff most if not all regular wake ups, I personally like to use the F+2,3 string if I think they'll try a regular wake up. Also Mileena boners are natural, just let it happen lmao.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I think the F+1 string is very good for stuffing regular wake ups but not so much for armored wake ups. For a lot of armored wake ups you can use just a standing 3 and it will beat them because it hits twice really fast. It's very match up specific though so I would definitely test it on friends or in training mode against that character before you use it competitively. Also any of her mids or lows will stuff most if not all regular wake ups, I personally like to use the F+2,3 string if I think they'll try a regular wake up. Also Mileena boners are natural, just let it happen lmao.
I never stop a boner bro. Ever. I let it rock.

I completely forgot that her 3 was similar to Jins. I'm labbing hard this afternoon.

TheGabStandard

I find F1 pretty good at stuffing wakeups and some armoured wakeups. The fastest wakeup I was able to stuff with F1 was Sub Zero's EX Slide (timing is super hard) and Mileena's EX Roll. I haven't tried any other wakeups faster than those yet

Premonitionist

I was already at Mileena, but it was for the deception skin, this is just some very lovely icing on the cake :)

But yea premo, ending in I think F4 4? Or it might have been B34 ends in a hard knockdown splat.

You can tele immediately after that with complete impunity. You can delay it slightly or do it instantly. You drop right on their face.

I have it written down in my notebook at home. Still needs more exploring but it had REALLY good oki potential considering it's hard to even tell what side she is going to be on. It was strong because it made backdashes turn into a forward dash into you, therefore no escape.
Can't wait to try some of this later, sounds promising but it also sounds like it might be challenging to time correctly everytime. I guess I'll find out later. So much to learn in this game still and it's most likely going to be constantly changing, I like learning something new everyday so this will give me something to look forward to :)