What's new

The MAD Science of Interactables -- (controlling combo carry distance for interactable spacing)

MK_Al

Noob
Unfortunately I can't watch it. Neither the embeded version nor the youtube version works. It resets or jumps to the end after 2-3 minutes of watching :(
I've tried several times...

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
So multiple people are having trouble loading the video. While others aren`t. I have no idea what`s causing this, but i`ll reupload the video tonight. Check back at 11pm central.

UPDATE: It seems to be working for everyone now. If problems persist, try viewing it in another browser. If you still can`t view it, please PM me.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Respect for sitting down and crunching it out, but this doesn't tell us anything that people shouldn't have already been aware of, at least on an intuitive level.
This is the statement that rubs people the wrong way. If my video had simply said "be aware of your surroundings" then this comment would have been warranted. But instead you came across as outright dismissing all the work done and information presented on how to develop position specific combos based on my measurements of interactable properties like blast radius and plant speed. There`s nothing intuitive about it until you have the measurements, which I`ve now provided. I`m glad you enjoyed the video but it was a snarky dismissive remark that has no place here.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
This is the statement that rubs people the wrong way. If my video had simply said "be aware of your surroundings" then this comment would have been warranted. But instead you came across as outright dismissing all the work done and information presented on how to develop position specific combos based on my measurements of interactable properties like blast radius and plant speed. There`s nothing intuitive about it until you have the measurements, which I`ve now provided. I`m glad you enjoyed the video but it was a snarky dismissive remark that has no place here.
Sorry, that wasn't the way it was intended. I'm glad you made the video and I think you're doing something important here. The only thing I was trying to address was how people will view the game mechanic, and I'm sorry to say that I don't think this will affect people's view of its legitimacy - though it's obviously another dose of concrete evidence in its favor. I never had any intent to disrespect you or your effort, and it's my fault for not being more clear.

MK_Al

Noob
Well I don't know how you did it or if I'm just lucky but now it works :)

Great vid! I recently started to experiment with corner interactables; combining this with your setups will be interesting...

webreg

Noob
This is a typical example of the mindset some people have (this is from the other thread):

If I see an option to turn something that reduces the overall skill level off, I will immediately do so.
Would it make it more fun to watch? Who knows?
Would it increase the skill needed? For sure.
Interactables demand more skill, more knowledge, more practice. It seems only people that don't want to learn the game and consequentially get destroyed by it complain about them. They can't accept that this is an integral part of the game and needs to be learned just like match-ups. This isn't just about doing your combos, blocking and avoiding the corner.

ApertureBlack

The Only Player On The Wii U
This is a typical example of the mindset some people have (this is from the other thread):

Interactables demand more skill, more knowledge, more practice. It seems only people that don't want to learn the game and consequentially get destroyed by it complain about them. They can't accept that this is an integral part of the game and needs to be learned just like match-ups. This isn't just about doing your combos, blocking and avoiding the corner.
Mudslinging isnt exactly the best way to prove a point.

And this video demonstrates the least complained about aspect of them, rather then showing how awkward the hitboxes are on some, mostly the ones used by power characters, and the insane homing ability some have.

Noone has a problem with these types of interactables, its all the ones that have ginourmous hitboxes and such. I look at things overall, these kinds of interactables are fine, but tell me with a straight face that the car/double hitting ones/respawning ones arent over the top at the moment. This is all assuming power charcaters.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Interactables demand more skill, more knowledge, more practice. It seems only people that don't want to learn the game and consequentially get destroyed by it complain about them.
I think the only case you can really make is against the stages where throwable interactables respawn. Particularly the ones with gigantic nearly unavoidable hitboxes. It`s fine to have things that are throwable. But to have something constantly respawning midscreen that can rarely be avoided makes the game look silly. Otherwise, we have an interesting mechanic. I like the meta game of positioning yourself near one, or keeping your opponent from it. But once it`s been used, let it be used and done with.

ApertureBlack

The Only Player On The Wii U
I think the only case you can really make is against the stages where throwable interactables respawn. Particularly the ones with gigantic nearly unavoidable hitboxes. It`s fine to have things that are throwable. But to have something constantly respawning midscreen that can rarely be avoided makes the game look silly. Otherwise, we have an interesting mechanic. I like the meta game of positioning yourself near one, or keeping your opponent from it. But once it`s been used, let it be used and done with.

This is exactly what I mean.

webreg

Noob
For the price of one meter and about 20% health you can get a full combo punish on most them unless you are a full screen away. Meterburn dash cancel isn't something we have yet seen a lot of and especially on Metropolis Roof this can be a good trade if you don't drop your 35%+ combo. The respawn time and the direction is also not random and can be anticipated. Yes, this stage gives the advantage to power characters but I'm not convinced that this advantage can't be overcome with the right play style.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
I'm using this video to show people that this game is way more awesome than they were willing to give it credit for - best tool I've gotten for it so far. I'll convert some more people into Injustice players yet.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Fuckin eh rights mayo, awesome video kind sir. Thank you for sharing once again, I know this isn't the end either :) lol.

Thanks for all the hard work and sharing your knowledge with the community, even though most are to ignorant to understand.

You da man,

aight, dick riding done lol

IMO interactables are just another variable for controlling space. In MK9 the space control was solely corner based. This is why Kabal would pick rooftop. Now in Injustice they have complicated things by adding more spacing positions that are important to focus on. I don't buy Vagrant and other members arguments that interactables are scrubby and this game lacks the need for fundamentals. Chris G doesn't win UFGT with lacking fundamentals, he's one of the most successful fighting game players out there because of his great fundamentals he employs in all of the games he plays. Interactables are just one more layer of mind games.

arydious

Noob
I am sad I can't employ this to full effect with Killer Frost. My batman and Harley are great at it. Not to the degree you broke it down, but its something to work on. I only wish KF could like freeze it to explode or something.

Vagrant

Noob
IMO interactables are just another variable for controlling space. In MK9 the space control was solely corner based. This is why Kabal would pick rooftop. Now in Injustice they have complicated things by adding more spacing positions that are important to focus on. I don't buy Vagrant and other members arguments that interactables are scrubby and this game lacks the need for fundamentals. Chris G doesn't win UFGT with lacking fundamentals, he's one of the most successful fighting game players out there because of his great fundamentals he employs in all of the games he plays. Interactables are just one more layer of mind games.

Why are people I don't even know randomly putting me on blast in their posts.

Interactables:

Is he in the hit space? Yes? Ok Press the right bumper, theres half a bnb's worth of damage! Dem fundamentals!

Because bnbs are super hard... Did you allow yourself to be put in a vulnerable position? Did you allow your opponent to put himself in an advantageous position? Sounds like a classic FG corner scenario. Dem fundamentals! In most fighters if you get pinned in a corner or against a wall you are going to take a lot more dmg than a typical bnb will yield. There really isn't much of a difference here.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Because bnbs are super hard... Did you allow yourself to be put in a vulnerable position? Did you allow your opponent to put himself in an advantageous position? Sounds like a classic FG corner scenario. Dem fundamentals! In most fighters if you get pinned in a corner or against a wall you are going to take a lot more dmg than a typical bnb will yield. There really isn't much of a difference here.
Both of you stop immediately. I don't care who started it. If you're going to snipe at each other go do it in another thread.