What's new

The MAD Science of Interactables -- (controlling combo carry distance for interactable spacing)

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
After 2 years of serving this community proudly, I present my greatest work... A new strategy called:

"The MAD Science of Interactables"

Here you'll see an in-depth look at new way to think about controlling space in Injustice, based around measuring BnB carry distance in relation to interactable location. This can be used to set up an interactable for yourself to use, or to keep your opponents away from certain interactables.

While this guide features Catwoman, it's a theory that can be applied to every character in the game. She just happens to be my main and very good at this tactic. Just in time for the rising debate over interactables, could this change the direction of the conversation?

TONY-T
Krayzie
ETC Mcfly
TylerLantern
Pig Of The Hut
GamerBlake90

Here's a link to the Stryker's Robot analysis graph:
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z346/Under_The_Mayo/robotanalysis_zpsd0418bca.jpg

(version for German viewers who can't view it due to song copyright blocking can check my youtube channel for a viewable version)

Supplemental video showing Interactable Science applied to the Themyscira stage.

Attachments

I don't get it. who needs a nerf or buff? I need an adult
in all seriousness this was AWESOME! I remember back in the day when I told the "ban Fortress of Solitude" thread that everyone is capable of %100 combos on any stage and they didn't believe it to favor immediate patch reaction. poor Superman, nerfed by the shame of scrubs :(

webreg

Noob
Under_The_Mayo
This video is even better than your last (and incredibly more laborious I imagine). I really like the pauses in the video in order to put notations and explanations up. It allows the viewer to enjoy the video in one go without the need to pause and review sections of it. This might just be the most involved and technically perfect FG video I have ever seen posted in this forum. Huge props for that. Might I inquire how much time it took you to create this piece from conception to release? People usually don't appreciate the time and effort it takes to achieve this level of audiovisual perfection.

Accompanied by your soothing voice and tasteful choice of music this video can probably only be exceeded by yourself at a future point in time. ;)

webreg

Noob
This is some of the most powerful knowledge in the game right now. My question is - will high level players put in the effort to learn this level of strategy for their character?
Well learning it isn't that big of deal. Applying it during a live match and under pressure is something else. I'm not entirely convinced that this kind of complex tech can be reliably used in a tournament environment. Imagine the different timings of the various interactables along with the different wake up attacks, knockdown times and carrying distances. Too many variables to spontaneously apply. But I would like to be proven wrong on this.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Well learning it isn't that big of deal. Applying it during a live match and under pressure is something else. I'm not entirely convinced that this kind of complex tech can be reliably used in a tournament environment. Imagine the different timings of the various interactables along with the different wake up attacks, knockdown times and carrying distances. Too many variables to spontaneously apply. But I would like to be proven wrong on this.

Good distinction. Though figuring this out for each character will be no trivial matter, I edited my OP. I hope you're proven wrong, too! I know Under_The_Mayo has been applying this at his local scene with Catwoman, so it is certainly do-able!

webreg

Noob
Though figuring this out for each character will be no trivial matter
I think the main problem currently is that the scene hasn't even figured out the stages yet. I know quite a few people who pride themselves to be "competitive players with extensive training" yet they don't even know the different transitions and connections between stages. This here seems to be running before walking. The people still underrate the impact the stages have on the match-ups and rather cry for changes and nerfs to the interactibles instead of learning them, using them and countering them. They train hours upon hours doing combos with their characters yet ignore training the stages.

Yes, some interactables are nearly impossible to dodge but if you let your opponent throw them at you then that's your own damn fault. The idea is to keep your eye on positioning and being able to anticipate and punish people who go for them or simply denying them the opportunity to use the stage to their advantage. People haven't yet realized that the Injustice metagame works fundamentally different from MK9 or any other fighting game. The stage is the third character in the match and not knowing it is almost as bad as not knowing your opponent.

I'm sure some top players have spent time with this but not nearly to the extend it seems warranted. Otherwise we would see topics like this one here in every character forum.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
Excellent breakdown Mayo! What are you planning for your next vid? Btw, where do you get your music from?

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
It is 100% reliable. All you have to know is how far your combos take you, and how far you want to go. Making this video has made me extremely efficient at actually doing everything I presented in it. And i did it all through our last local tournament. It's really not hard at all. All you have to know is where you're hitting them from. I see that I hit you with the dash, I know what to do from that area, so I do it. I'm blowing people up left and right.

Excellent breakdown Mayo! What are you planning for your next vid? Btw, where do you get your music from?
Thanks Tony. I never know what's coming next. I'm gonna be focusing on Sinestro now. All music is by Akira Yamaoka from the Silent Hill soundtracks.

Under_The_Mayo
This might just be the most involved and technically perfect FG video I have ever seen posted in this forum. Huge props for that. Might I inquire how much time it took you to create this piece from conception to release?
I created the theory in response to constantly getting hit by Superman throwing interactables. I just sat down and figured it out. Took about a week of long nights to get all the measurements down. Even caused a girl to breakup with me over how much I ignored her. Ha.. Gotta have priorities.

Everyone can do the same for their character. Here's an example of my notes.

Here are links to the other pages.
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z346/Under_The_Mayo/IMG148_zps6d2e7276.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z346/Under_The_Mayo/IMG147_zps0eec57f3.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z346/Under_The_Mayo/IMG146_zps6560bd20.jpg

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I'm gonna have to find stuff with Deathstroke then. From what I've tested he's got a lot of ways to set up these traps but can only hit you with guns. :(

Definitely worth looking into though.

EDIT: He can use super on some of them. Good unbreakable damage at the cost of all your meter.

webreg

Noob
It's really not hard at all. All you have to know is where you're hitting them from. I see that I hit you with the dash, I know what to do from that area, so I do it. I'm blowing people up left and right.
I very much agree if we are talking about CatWoman, GreenArrow or similar stunners where you have this extra second to think it through. I imagine it is exceedingly harder to do this with characters that have to decide early which carry combo to do yet have no time to think about it after initiating and hit confirming. Unless you are deliberately planning on using the interactable even before you engage. Well, I guess if the interactable allows you to reset and continue your damage then it might be well worth the time spent to set it up.

CatWoman might be in a unique position though due to her combo flexibility, easy crossovers and multiple hard knockdown options. I don't know enough about other characters though so my opinion might not be worth much.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
CatWoman might be in a unique position though due to her combo flexibility, easy crossovers and multiple hard knockdown options. I don't know enough about other characters though so my opinion might not be worth much.
Don't think about it just in terms of explodable items. Thing about how you can have certain combo enders in your pocket to put yourself next to something else you can use. Or to keep your opponent AWAY from certain items. Giving yourself options, and keeping options from them. There's much more to this than Catwoman being able to set bombs.

webreg

Noob
Yeah, this was what I tried to explain earlier with the "running before walking" remark. Interactables are so important yet only a few people have spent the time necessary to formulate strategies concerning positioning. Currently people only seem to be concerned with the corner and how to get people there. This isn't MK though and positioning yourself next to certain interactables can win you the game. Why try to do an impressive 15 hit corner combo than can possibly be blocked if you can instead just throw an unblockable for 20% at them.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Just in time for the rising debate over interactables, could this change the direction of the conversation?
Unfortunately, no. Respect for sitting down and crunching it out, but this doesn't tell us anything that people shouldn't have already been aware of, at least on an intuitive level. This is likely going to make it worse rather than better, because a lot of players don't view stage control as an actual skill and will dismiss setups like this as being "UNBLOCKABLE DAMAGE!!!1" that makes the game "scrubbier."

I'll be doing like RYX though, and seeing if I can take your method to make my own madness. Thanks for sharing.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Unfortunately, no. Respect for sitting down and crunching it out, but this doesn't tell us anything that people shouldn't have already been aware of, at least on an intuitive level. This is likely going to make it worse rather than better, because a lot of players don't view stage control as an actual skill and will dismiss setups like this as being "UNBLOCKABLE DAMAGE!!!1" that makes the game "scrubbier."

I'll be doing like RYX though, and seeing if I can take your method to make my own madness. Thanks for sharing.
This whole post sounds so holier than thou it hurts. You were aware of all of this on an intuitive level? Sure you were. I'd love to see you go break out down coherently for another character of it's so intuitive. :p

This video isn't aimed at scrubs. This is a site for tournament level players.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
sick stuff Under_The_Mayo what about "acrobatic" characters like the flash or KF that don't use bomb? they don't get anything :(
While they won`t get these kinds of setups from it, you can use it with interactable throw damage on wakeup, and also as a way to keep other characters AWAY from interactables they want to use.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
This whole post sounds so holier than thou it hurts. You were aware of all of this on an intuitive level? Sure you were. I'd love to see you go break out down coherently for another character of it's so intuitive. :p
So the idea that stage control and positioning are important isn't intuitive? I'm not trying to take away from Mayo, because he's doing important footwork to turn that from concept into reliable practice.

This video isn't aimed at scrubs. This is a site for tournament level players.
Y'think? You misread my post. A lot of people are trying to dismiss interactables, complaining they're "scrubby" and that the game would be better without them, which Mayo tilted at. I was responding to that by saying that this is likely never going to change a lot of players' minds.

Get off my dick.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
While they won`t get these kinds of setups from it, you can use it with interactable throw damage on wakeup, and also as a way to keep other characters AWAY from interactables they want to use.
:( so only 3 characters are classified as acrobatic right? the flash KF and raven? i can only imagine the combos with a bomb and trait for the flash, he already has 60% bnb's with trait, but adding a bomb and all his hard knockdowns would have made him OP.