What's new

The lack of inspiration during the 3D era

SLy

Noob
Alot of these characters get shitted on by people, But I feel like it wasnt the characters, It was the story of the 3D games.
The story themselves didnt allow some of these characters to play an important role within the main story.

All of the likable characters like Tanya, Frost, Jarek, Drahmin, lei Mei Fujin etc. They all played a role Outside the main storyline which made them totally uninteresting. Only a couple of characters like Havik and Hotaru were sucessful outside the main plot. But all of them had good designs imo. Thats why Im so glad NRS is taking the steps to reinvent them throught the comics.

Maybe we should start a thread of "What would you do with characters introduced in the 3D Era?"

Or "What would you do with a character who you felt was in need of some work?"

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I'm pretty sure MKs1-3 didn't have any characters as bland as Darrius.

Maaaaaybe MK3 Stryker, but that's it off the top of my head.

Deadly Alliance was my first MK game and even I think most of the 3D characters are bad.
MK3 Stryker is my all-time hated character, haha.

You'd have to point out the glaring difference between MK2 Jax and Darrius. I don't see it. He's on the bland side, of course. But I found Jax to be the most bland character in MK2.

I'm just saying... you have Darrius, then you have Havik and Quan Chi. You have Kobra, then you have Kenshi and Hotaru... I see more good than bland.

And a lot of the bland is no more bland than many classic characters.

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
Why did Tobias leave, anyway? Because I Twitter stalked him the other day and from the looks of things, he hasn't forgotten about MK at all.
Im sure he still shits a hundred dollar bill every time anyone fires up a MK game so hes not feeling too bad most likely.

Some of them had good designs (ex. Hotaru). Some of them had good stories (ex. Dairou). The biggest problem I think was with their special moves and abilities. It's like the they really stopped trying to give the new characters cool powers. Just what the hell is Dairou doing? He lifts his leg up and fires some star shit from it? Seriously what the hell is that. He drops on the floor and shakes the ground? There's nothing appealing about any of this. And its doubly unappealing because in the context of who Dairou is and what he looks like these powers are so random.

Jordy

Noob
they should focus on chars like noon saibot, havik, fujin, frost, reiko.... and they come out with that shitty earthrealm characters related to the most shitty chars in the old era... they should've put a son of noob saibot.. what are they gonna do? i want cool dudes not trash over trash. who would main the fucking cages if we could play noob saibot?

they should focus on chars like noon saibot, havik, fujin, frost, reiko.... and they come out with that shitty earthrealm characters related to the most shitty chars in the old era... they should've put a son of noob saibot.. what are they gonna do? i want cool dudes not trash over trash. who was gonna main the fucking cages if we could play noob saibot?
Uhh, I was gonna main Johnny.

Give the new characters a break. At least wait until we see what they can do.

KombatNerd

Justice 4 Firestorm
Uninspired is not the word to use. They drew inspiration from many things, and went back to old kung fu films for some character designs.

They were pretty confident is a lot of those characters, but the games were rushed and the characters suffered as a result.

Hotaru looked cool design wise, moves and fighting style sucked tho.
I think the arc of Chaos vs Order would of been better if it mattered in the main story.
I really like Frost reminds me of X23 for some reason.
Havik was interesting as welll, fighting style could have been fleshed out more.
Ashrah was dope.
Darrius was bland as hell but I liked his blade thingys.
Sucks that they made Nitara a cheesy vampire chick when they could have done something really creative with a vampire.
Reiko's a thing I guess.
- not really honorable mentions to:
Shujinko
Drahmin
Lizard King
Everyone else not even worth mentioning.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
Reiko was and is awesome.

The comics are proving all these characters have potential if utilized and properly executed

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I am surprised to hear that people think Tanya was uninspired. I think she is an awesome character and the best of all to come from the 3D era. She is known as one of the most devious characters in the whole game (ie she has turned on everyone) and has great character design.

I do think there were a lot of "filler" characters in the 3D area (/looks at Kai,Jarek, Hsu Hao, Kobra, Taven etc), however there were some awesome ones too like Shujinko, Lei Mei, Frost, Kenshi and Ashrah. They all had fantastic character design and all had story line potential.

Voodoo

Smack it up, flip it and rub it down.
Reiko was and is awesome.

The comics are proving all these characters have potential if utilized and properly executed
What about Reiko was awesome before the comics? Just curious.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
It's not the lack of inspiration that plagued the 3-D era. They had no idea where to bring the story, which in turn meant the characters didn't really matter, which in turn made them have nothing to do that mattered in story.

It also felt like a lot of their movesets were bland, but I didn't really play anything MK (other than MK4) in the 3-D era except Deception for like, one day. I remember I liked Kai.

I definitely would like to see the thread about how to salvage some of these characters. I have my own ideas as well.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
I am surprised to hear that people think Tanya was uninspired. I think she is an awesome character and the best of all to come from the 3D era.

She is known as one of the most devious characters in the whole game (ie she has turned on everyone) and has great character design.
Better than Kenshi or Havik...?

Give her a mask and she's practically another ninja with no memorable moves at all.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Just to be clear, I didn't make this thread just to shit on the 3D era. There are some elements of it that I want to return, although none of that involves gameplay.

If you like certain characters, cool. I like a few too, but the general consensus is that 99% of them sucked. I just wanted to know whether or not there was a definite explanation as to why they turned out how they did.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
What about Reiko was awesome before the comics? Just curious.
story wise, not much XD since practically nothing was known of him

but gameplay wise i loved him, especially in Armageddon, just had fun playing as him always

plus his face tat is sweet

I feel like Tanya started off uninteresting but built herself through story and character development. Characters like Kenshi and Havik are more appealing because they have that initial cool thing about them.
Kenshi: Blind swordsman with psychic powers
Havik: Cleric of Chaos, comedic and grotesque playstyle of disjointing his body

I believe for new females in Mk in particular its harder to get a strong fanbase. Because the main Mk girls cover alot of bases.
Sonya Blade: Boss ass bitch
Kitana: Princess warrior
Mileena: childish wildbeast
Jade: Cool girl
Sindel: queen plot device
Sheeva: female grunt

Tanya just doesn't fit because her initial design isn't interesting. For new characters I believe design comes first and then story. That's why Tanya isn't as popular. Her design isn't bland by any means, just doesn't pop out. Design isn't just how she looks either, it's her powers and playstyle. Look at Dvorah, she was well welcomed cause she stands the fuck out. Bug lady, such a simple design but it pops out. Tanya looks like another female ninja. I'm not saying they should make her over the top, I'm just explaining that people aren't willing to invest in a character that is more than what's beneath the surface. They don't want to have to dig to find something cool within them, they just want it to be there when they look at them. Sadly that's why Tanya isn't as popular. But in terms of 3D characters she's top tier in females along with Frost and Ashrah. I'll never understand the interest in Li Mei, Nitara, Kira, or Sareena.

D

Deleted member 35141

they should focus on chars like noon saibot, havik, fujin, frost, reiko.... and they come out with that shitty earthrealm characters related to the most shitty chars in the old era... they should've put a son of noob saibot.. what are they gonna do? i want cool dudes not trash over trash. who would main the fucking cages if we could play noob saibot?
So basically you want 30 ninjas, you know the game is called MORTAL kombat about a tournament that could destroy the world so why wouldn't they teach their kids to fight. Johnny cage has always been one of my mains no matter whos in the game

D

Deleted member 35141

The 3d era gave us very shitty characters besides quan, kenshi,shinnock, and fujin,
how could anyone want tobias back after MK9, this was one of the series that started gaming for me but ill take MK9 and what ive seen so far of mkx over the old games.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Better than Kenshi or Havik...?

Give her a mask and she's practically another ninja with no memorable moves at all.

You could say give them a mask and they are just a ninja with about half the cast... Reptile, Rain, Scorpion, Smoke, Noob, Sub Zero, Chameleon, Ermac etc etc yet they are all different. Tanya has both different moves and a great story line as a particularly devious character (or a survivor depending on how you look at it).

Both Kenshi and Havik are great character designs. Kenshi is not particularly interesting apart from his strong character design (one of the best in the series!)

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
You could say give them a mask and they are just a ninja with about half the cast... Reptile, Rain, Scorpion, Smoke, Noob, Sub Zero, Chameleon, Ermac etc etc yet they are all different.

Tanya has a great story line
Ermac is nothing like a ninja now. Regardless, we really don't need anymore. Although it's inevitable that Tremor makes it as DLC.

Debatable. The backstories aren't anywhere near as important as character design/moves to most, anyway.