What's new

The lack of inspiration during the 3D era

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
While I thought MK4 was garbage, I don't actually hate the 3D era. Deception especially I think is a pretty solid game, even if it is obviously terrible competitively. I also think that, given NRS' recent revitalizations of certain characters, most of the 3D cast can be redeemed easily.

But I think it's pretty damn fair to say that this wasn't the best of times for MK, particularly in terms of characters. There were some great new additions to the cast (Kenshi), and I actually really liked Drahmin, believe it or not. But between Tanya, Jarek, Daegon, Taven, Kobra, Kira and Darrius just to name a few... there were some serious fucking stinkers in the 3D era.

I genuinely want to know what was going through Midway's heads when they made these characters. They made a batch of shit characters, then did it again, and again, and they kept doing it even though they knew they were shit. What the hell was going on?

While I thought MK4 was garbage, I don't actually hate the 3D era. Deception especially I think is a pretty solid game, even if it is obviously terrible competitively. I also think that, given NRS' recent revitalizations of certain characters, most of the 3D cast can be redeemed easily.

But I think it's pretty damn fair to say that this wasn't the best of times for MK, particularly in terms of characters. There were some great new additions to the cast (Kenshi), and I actually really liked Drahmin, believe it or not. But between Tanya, Jarek, Daegon, Taven, Kobra, Kira and Darrius just to name a few... there were some serious fucking stinkers in the 3D era.

I genuinely want to know what was going through Midway's heads when they made these characters. They made a batch of shit characters, then did it again, and again, and they kept doing it even though they knew they were shit. What the hell was going on?
it was not what was going on, but what was NOT going on at midway. and that was John Tobias.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Why did Tobias leave, anyway? Because I Twitter stalked him the other day and from the looks of things, he hasn't forgotten about MK at all.

i think Hotaru and Havik had some potential, but thats pretty much it for me from 3d era. MK4 actually had a lot of nice designs: Fujin is not bad, obviously Quan Chi is great, Shinnok if my favourite.
a lot of bland fuckers: Li Mei, Frost, Mavado, Jarek is lol, Kobra is lol, Drahmin, Hsu Hao, Darrius, Dairou, Kira. Taven and Daegon can go die on that fucking pyramid.

@nfdsallwd I think he means shitters like Jarek and Kai from MK4. The general consensus is that everyone else was pretty good. But I think it was mostly because of the rushed games.

I also agree that Tobias should come back. He's still an MK guy at heart I think and he probably regrets leaving, tbh.

I agree that the reason is lack of budget, deadlines and shit, probably. I remember reading somewhere that Deception was especially rushed, because of that some stages for example never appeared in arcade ladders. were 3d games commercial success?

I agree that the reason is lack of budget, deadlines and shit, probably. I remember reading somewhere that Deception was especially rushed, because of that some stages for example never appeared in arcade ladders. were 3d games commercial success?
yeah I believe all of them sold well, they just weren't very good games. But they appealed to the casual audience.

I would like to imagine Armageddon sold the least but I don't know the actual numbers.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
yeah I believe all of them sold well, they just weren't very good games. But they appealed to the casual audience.

I would like to imagine Armageddon sold the least but I don't know the actual numbers.
Actually I believe Armageddon sold the best, considering it was the every character game. It also helped keep the fighting game genre on life support lol.

Also screw all you guys. Kira has great potential, she can be way more than female Kano, same for Frost.

haketh

Noob
I wouldn't say their worthless, like the Order Realm crew have tons of untapped story potential especialy with the story behind how Hotaru ended up leaving the Seido & Darrius being a character with a ton of story depth as a Freedom Fighter who goes deep into Any means Nesscassary even killing women & Children. Nitara really just needed a better design, don't care what anyone says Drahmin looked cool as fuck.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Outside of Kenshi, every character introduced after MK4 was complete and utter garbage. I have my fingers crossed that none of them are ever playable again and stay away from MK's future.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
I wouldn't say their worthless, like the Order Realm crew have tons of untapped story potential especialy with the story behind how Hotaru ended up leaving the Seido & Darrius being a character with a ton of story depth as a Freedom Fighter who goes deep into Any means Nesscassary even killing women & Children. Nitara really just needed a better design, don't care what anyone says Drahmin looked cool as fuck.
I'd say a lot of them had potential. But right now it hasn't been realized, and most of them are meh-to-awful characters.

Make Li Mei the new "chosen one."

Kill Mileena off, introduce Tanya as Kitana's new protégé. Kinda like a new Jade, that ultimately betrays her. Also gives Kitana a new personal enemy.

Keep Kira and Kobra the same, just expand on their characters and rivalry. Or make them into Team Rocket.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
MK4 was definitely the best 3D MK game as far as gameplay is concerned. I did like I believe MKDA that had the fighting styles though. And MKA was fun online because I was "one of those guys" that used my Kreated Kharacter and fucked people up for free all day.

haketh

Noob
I'd say a lot of them had potential. But right now it hasn't been realized, and most of them are meh-to-awful characters.
Main problem was despite having a long campaign Deception was REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY light on story for pretty much everyone. We were just left assuming things seeing how the Shujinko mode didn't really touch on anything.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Shujinko was the man. I was hoping to see him again in MKX.

Out of the 3D era characters, my favorites were:
  • Kenshi: obviously.
  • Hotaru: I like the idea of other realms, his best design was with full armor.
  • Havik: need a I say more?
  • Shujinko: a new hero for a change.
  • Onaga: great potential poor execution.
  • Daegon: same as Onaga.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I don't find them any less inspired. Obviously they hit it out of the park with characters like Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Kano, Raiden, etc., which is why they are staples and spawned the MK following. But not every character is gonna live up to that.

Nostalgia is powerful. How else could you have people say Jax, Nightwolf, Sindel, etc. are great characters while Drahmin, Ashrah, Darrius, etc. are absolute garbage? Up to MK3 had its share of bland characters and shitters as well.

MK4-MKD is the same. Some shitters, a whole bunch of par for the course but without the aid of nostalgia, and some great ones also without the aid of nostalgia.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
I don't find them any less inspired. Obviously they hit it out of the park with characters like Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Kano, Raiden, etc., which is why they are staples and spawned the MK following. But not every character is gonna live up to that.

Nostalgia is powerful. How else could you have people say Jax, Nightwolf, Sindel, etc. are great characters while Drahmin, Ashrah, Darrius, etc. are absolute garbage? Up to MK3 had its share of bland characters and shitters as well.

MK4-MKD is the same. Some shitters, a whole bunch of par for the course but without the aid of nostalgia, and some great ones also without the aid of nostalgia.
I'm pretty sure MKs1-3 didn't have any characters as bland as Darrius.

Maaaaaybe MK3 Stryker, but that's it off the top of my head.

Deadly Alliance was my first MK game and even I think most of the 3D characters are bad.

Jordy

Noob
TOBIAS COME BACK!!! it's since they showed the full roster i keep saying tobias should come back!!1 lack of imagination and creativity! jax, sonya and cage were shit over shit and they came out with triple shit: sons and daughters

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
TOBIAS COME BACK!!! it's since they showed the full roster i keep saying tobias should come back!!1 lack of imagination and creativity! jax, sonya and cage were shit over shit and they came out with triple shit: sons and daughters
They don't need Tobias back. I'd like to see what they could do with him again, but characters like Kotal Kahn and MKX in general is proof that they finally got their shit together and they can carry on without him.