What's new

The Kano Match Up Thread

NKZero

Noob
If you block running man, he can fire another before kanoball connects. The possibility of using Ex Kanoball is there, but I don't trust myself trying that on reaction just yet. I've 'Balled over slide shadow from jump distance and further, but Ive been stuffed by its startup before, so I believe its hitbox shrinks as it crosses sweep distance or a little before.
hmm ok well then ignore that part but everything else I stated still stands. This is a tough match though so it's natural that you would struggle especially against good Noob players. Also I don't think EX ball would work since it doesn't have start-up armour. It needs to be charged and you will be stuffed by a shadow. I don't know if it is quicker though than the standard one? I played Kano a while ago but not anymore...

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
I'm curious to know whether you can punish a shadow slide or shadow tackle with a Kano ball?
absolutely not on regular tackle but you can punish slide from about midscreen. interestingly enough, you can punish both extackle and exslide with a ball from nearly fullscreen.

MaceWind

Crazy 88
Kano v Kenshi:
While not a complete strategy, this is something to work into your game. Chuck knives from just outside of Spirit Charge range. Usually this does a few things for Kano. 1) Obviously avoids Spirit Charge and Rising Karma. 2) Knives are faster than Tele-Flurry and Slash so they will be cut short and render less or no damage respectively. 3) Sharply decreases to window to react and reflect knives. 4) Puts you at one jump range for a JIP and further pressure.

You still have to respect EX-Spirit Charge so be mindful. You should always be adjusting your spacing to stay in this range as you move towards getting inside. Also, if knocked back outside optimum range use upball or dash d3 to close distance as this removes tele-flurry from play. This "trains" them to start using Slash from long distance and opens up opportunities for a straight ball. Again, just a few tools to add to your regimen on this very difficult MU.

MaceWind

Crazy 88
Kano v Sub:
Really the best thing I find to do here is to turtle him baiting slide with knives; Bait iceball with knives and bait clone with knives.

1) Slide: Make sure you do this at full screen. The cool down on the knives will occur fast enough to full combo punish his slide.
2) Iceball: Again at full screen, knife wins the trade as you will be able to block his projectile with zero chip damage while he eats yours.
3) Clone: Dash in like you are going to start an offensive and just stop and throw a knife.

Also, this is the single most important match to get your EX-ball and downball timing together. Up close, a few of SZ's blockstrings can either be punished or interrupted. 2,2,4 in particular can be punished by fast special and one of his 2,1,2 strings (not sure on the input, I just see it on the screen) can be interrupted.

This is a very patient fight for Kano. I have actually timed-out more during this match than any other.

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
sub-zero can be a tricky match to get down on paper because sub can be played so many ways. i play with a sub offline who very rarely uses slide, even to punish knife tosses. kano does best in this match-up when he goes in. also, sub has a very difficult time punishing upball. he can get 22 iceball but the timing is VERY strict because if he does it instantly out of blockstun, the first 2 will whiff. out of hundreds of matches with cyus strike he's punished upball successfully once.

MaceWind

Crazy 88
sub-zero can be a tricky match to get down on paper because sub can be played so many ways. i play with a sub offline who very rarely uses slide, even to punish knife tosses. kano does best in this match-up when he goes in. also, sub has a very difficult time punishing upball. he can get 22 iceball but the timing is VERY strict because if he does it instantly out of blockstun, the first 2 will whiff. out of hundreds of matches with cyus strike he's punished upball successfully once.
I agree in getting into his face but I let him come to me, not the other way around. I do everything possible to stay the hell out of his ice cones. I may mix things up and downball over an iceball or armor through a clone but usually I'm on the other end of the screen chucking knives and ex-knives if they neutral duck them.

MaceWind

Crazy 88
Character-Forums Suggestion: Would it be easier to have a different thread per MU? If I want to see specifically how to fight against Reptile, I can navigate straight to the appropriate thread. Forum moderator should post 1st and aggregate all the best info into it.

Flagg

Noob
what problems are you having with him?
Smoke has better footsies and better pokes, he is way more mobile, he can run away all day if he wants. Seems like Smoke can keep away and beat Kano or can get up close and beat Kano. I find the Smoke match up for Kano particularly frustrating.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Hi. Well I like to get some advice on 2 particular characters I have mad trouble with so please Patience with me because i am new.

Quan Chi: Just over all his shenanigans seem to but my Kano at a very big disadvantage. His runes + footsies seem to stop Kano dead in his tracks once Quan starts to teleport if in the hands of a knowledgeable player he would direct Quan behind Kano or in front making me whiff on up ball and I would severely get punished. Trance seems to knock Kano out of up ball + Quan EX teleports seems to kill anything doe's in the air.

I need help against Quan but picking up for my team does not seem to show me how I could beat Quan with Kano.

Reptile: Need I say more. I could chuck knifes all day to out zone him but his dash in ex form is beastly.

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
punish a blocked/whiffed trance with a horizontal ball from anywhere on screen and toss knives from full screen. be ready to upball any teleports.