What's new

The Kano Guide by The Kano Community

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!
I did some actual testing on the :en Knife vs neutral crouching opponents on whether or not it hits different characters and here's what I got:

Character: :en Knife Can Hit Neutral Crouch?
Scorpion: Yes
Liu Kang: Yes
Kung Lao: No
Sub-Zero: Yes
Sindel: Yes
Ermac: Sometimes*
Reptile: Yes
Kitana: No
Johnny Cage: Sometimes**
Jade: Yes
Mileena: No
Nightwolf: Yes
Cyrax: Yes
Noob Saibot: Yes
Smoke: Yes
Sektor: Yes
Sonya Blade: Yes
Jax: No
Kano: Yes
Kurtis Stryker: Yes
Shang Tsung: Yes
Baraka: Yes
Kabal: Yes
Raiden: Yes
Sheeva: Yes
Quan Chi: Yes
Cyber Sub-Zero: Yes
Kratos: Yes

* Hitting Ermac is about a 1/6 chance. The highest point of his animation probably only lasts a couple of frames.
** Hitting Johnny Cage is about a 50/50 chance. The start of his crouching animation loop is the highest point, and thus is the point that the :en knife is able to hit. This means that if one connects, another can be thrown for a "guaranteed" hit if the opponent isn't blocking, since the animation will restart. Blocking will avoid/block the second Knife. A regular Knife thrown after the :ex Knife will connect with an opponent trying to block out of hitstun (of course, they will enter blockstun at this point). This last case is probably true for all characters.
They should change this must defiantly,why not all

low_kix

Noob
I have nothing to contribute, I just wanna say Rage Kano? Fucking awesome

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Should test combos or string starting pokes in general that punish up ball on block. May just be online, but I've been able to 2,2,freeze as human Subzero and B2 to bomb as Smoke for instance.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
MullaXul said:
Should test combos or string starting pokes in general that punish up ball on block. May just be online, but I've been able to 2,2,freeze as human Subzero and B2 to bomb as Smoke for instance.
That is next in line.

I've been wondering. Does anybody know how block affects punishment? How many frames does it to take to release block and perform an attack? Does anybody know?

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
I don't want you to take this the wrong way, because this guide is fucking awesome, but do you mind if I proofread it? I know English isn't your first language, but I'd be happy to make some corrections so it's a little more fluid to read. It's your guide -- a damn good one too -- but it's up to you. Again, thanks for making/compiling the guide.

I don't want you to take this the wrong way, because this guide is fucking awesome, but do you mind if I proofread it? I know English isn't your first language, but I'd be happy to make some corrections so it's a little more fluid to read. It's your guide -- a damn good one too -- but it's up to you. Again, thanks for making/compiling the guide.
I'm always open to suggestions and corrections, besides, I know that my English while decent have a lot of flaws so feel free to fix any mistakes you see.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Guys, I will cease my 'Up Ball punishment' project. According to Tom Brady, the Up Ball is becoming more unsafe the day after the coming patch. Expect more characters to combo punish Kano again. He may drop a tier depending what happens to the other characters.

Guys, I will cease my 'Up Ball punishment' project. According to Tom Brady, the Up Ball is becoming more unsafe the day after the coming patch. Expect more characters to combo punish Kano again. He may drop a tier depending what happens to the other characters.
He was A tire with the old ball and no low anyway, all i wanted was a low for mixups, if they keep that and revert the Up Ball changes all will be fine.

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!
He was A tire with the old ball and no low anyway, all i wanted was a low for mixups, if they keep that and revert the Up Ball changes all will be fine.
Agreed but I still feel the grab should have a little more use its good for canceling strings atleast before up ball, but thats gone soon enough so ya

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I hope up ball doesn't go all the way back. In my opinion it should be the same recovery as johnny cages flip kick, because they're basically the same move.

Does anyone know or could point me to hard numbers that compare the current up ball to the flip kick? (Startup, recovery, etc.)

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I hope up ball doesn't go all the way back. In my opinion it should be the same recovery as johnny cages flip kick, because they're basically the same move.

Does anyone know or could point me to hard numbers that compare the current up ball to the flip kick? (Startup, recovery, etc.)
Yeah, I think the same recovery frames as Cage's flip kick would be fine. I wish NRS would actually read these damn forums as opposed to twitter...what a mess.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I did some actual testing on the :en Knife vs neutral crouching opponents on whether or not it hits different characters and here's what I got
Huh. I had assumed that all the players besides perhaps Sheeva could avoid the knife when crouched...that's unfortunate. Hope they fix that.

i really hope so, the upball is a joke, like superman from raiden, but upball even more, because superman is super ez 2 puish in block lol

Holy shit! sticky? really? firs sticky I get in my life :O

Sorry for not being around lately but I have been really busy.

Also, we are gonna need to check the Up Ball once the patch hit us, hopefully I will have some time to update the guide to keep it on line with the new changes.

Mgt2

Noob
Holy shit! sticky? really? firs sticky I get in my life :O

Sorry for not being around lately but I have been really busy.

Also, we are gonna need to check the Up Ball once the patch hit us, hopefully I will have some time to update the guide to keep it on line with the new changes.
Yeah great Job my friend. Where are you tho? keep this thread rolling. :bigsmile:

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Don't think the hotfix is out, but the patch on 360 is, most definitely.

Yeah great Job my friend. Where are you tho? keep this thread rolling. :bigsmile:
I can update this when the fix is applied, but unfortunately I'm currently unable to play MK9 for a while do to work and a few other issues, but that doesn't mean I don't check this from time to time.