What's new

The Kano Guide by The Kano Community

UPDATED 5/27/2011:
- Global grammar fixes courtesy of AdmiralAugustus.

Intro

A compilation of everything we have discussed about Kano in the different threads located around our lovely Black Dragon hideout. Combos made by the whole Kano community, now with a little bit more "No Charge" and its individual thread, so new people can actually read it instead of making new topics.

Pros and Cons list:

Pros:

- Air Ball and Air Grab means you can get 14%-15% of a single connected jump in kick, with 1 meter you boost it to 22%
- Air Ball can punish projectiles at full range if you do a jump forward before the Air Ball.
- Air Ball is a great anti wake up, it counters or dodges most wake up attack unless they are EX
- Ball can punish opponents jumping forward, especially when they try to jump your knifes
- Up Ball is an excellent anti air and is almost as safe as Johnny Cage Shadow Flip Kick
- When you use choke on block, it pushes your opponent back and can be used to cancel all combo strings to get space and avoid retaliation
- Knife is an awesome zoning tool, 9%, quick start, quick recovery, and quick travel speed
- Kano has a really long sweep
- Kano's Overhead has quite a long range and leads to a 21% damage combo, or more.
- X-Ray is an unblockable grab, deals 41% damage and has super armor, it can be used to punish wake up attacks and even some teleports, like Smoke's, since it absorb a hit and grabs on the second.

Cons

- Kano doesn't posses an amazing damage output, he can get 33%-36% consistently in the form of a juggle, but to reach 39%-40% he needs meter or the corner
- Any Blocked Ball that's not Up Ball is as bad as blocked teleport
- Any whiffed Ball that's not Up Ball leave you open for punishment (regular Ball is relatively safe as long as you don't stop traveling in front of your opponent)
- Kano's Overhead is slow
- X-Ray is slow and you can't combo into or out of it

Terminology

For simplicity all jump in kicks will be noted as ji:fk but they can be done with :fk or :bk

For simplicity all jump in punches will be noted as ji:fp but they can be done with :fp or :bp

Jump In: ji

Jump Back: jb

Dash In: :r:r

Dash Out: :l:l

Enhanced: :en

X-Ray: :x

Specials

Ball: :r:d:l:r (11% / :en12%)
- Can also be done with :r:d:l:u
- :en is Unblockable if charged for 3 seconds

Air Ball: :r:d:l:r [Air] (8% / :en16%)
- Can also be done with :r:d:l:u [Air]
- :en Air Grab opponent after the Air Ball hit and leaves them on the ground in front of you

Up ball: :d:r:bp (11% / :en13%)
- :en version travels in a triangle arc and hits twice
- :en second hit auto targets the opponent

Knife: :d:l:bp (9% / :en14%)
- :en throws 2 knifes
- :en hits neutral crouch

Choke: :d:r:fp (9% / :en15%)
- :en has armor
- :en choke the opponent on the ground an then cross up roll them

:x: :fk+:bk+:blk (41%)
- Kano's :x is a Grab
- Can't be combo'd into
- Has super armor

Note: You can inter-change between Ball, Up ball, Choke or Knife for each other in almost all of Kano's combos for different results. Such as; leave your opponent in front of you, or to gain different amount of spacing after the knockback. Sometimes, damage is not all you should look for, but rather how well you control the spacing of the match, this also applies for Air Grab and Air Ball. Also, remember that some specials need to be done as a combo string cancel, while others can be done right after the recovery of a finished combo string

Basic Combos

:l:bp:fk:d:r:bp (18%)

:l:bp:r:fp:d:r:bp (21%) Best option for Overhead

ji:fk Air Grab (15%) Best option without meter

ji:fk:r:d:l:r (14%) :en version boost the damage to 22%

Combo Juggles Starters

:bp:fp:bp [High] Quite safe on block and good amount of time to follow the combo

:r:fk:l:bp [Low] Quite safe on block and slightly better amount of time to follow the combo

:l:fp:fp:bp [Special Mid] Quite safe on block and combo need to be followed immediately

Note: You can do any of this combo strings to start a juggle combo, the only difference is the damage output, how safe is it on block and the amount of time you have to follow up the juggle.

Combo Juggles

ji:fp, :bp:fp:bp, :r:r, :bp:fp:bp, :r:r, :bp:fp:bp, :r:d:l:r (33%)

ji:fp, :l:fp:fp:bp, :r:r, :l:fp:fp:bp, :r:d:l:r (34%)

ji:fp, :r:fk:l:bp, :r:r, :bp:fp:bp, :r:r, :bp:fp:bp, :r:d:l:r (34%)

ji:fp, :l:fp:fp:bp, :r:r, :l:fp:fp:bp, :d:fp, :r:d:l:r (34%)

ji:fp, :l:fp:fp:bp, :r:r, :bp:fp:bp, :r:r, :bp:fp:bp, :r:d:l:r (36%)

ji:fp, :bp:fp:bp, :r:r, :bp:fp:bp, :r:r, :bp:fp:bp, jb:en:r:d:l:r [Air] (36%)

ji:fp, :l:fp:fp:bp, :bp:fp:bp, :l:fp:fp:d:r:bp (37%)

ji:fp, :l:fp:fp:bp, :r:r, :bp:fp:bp, :r:r, :l:fp:bp:d:r:bp (37%)

ji:fp, :l:fp:fp:bp, :r:r, :bp:fp:bp, :r:r, ji:fk:en:r:d:l:r [Air] (38%)

ji:fp, :l:fp:fp:bp, :r:r, :bp:fp:bp, :r:r, :bp:fp:bp, :en:r:d:l:r [Air] (39%)

Wall Juggle

ji:fp, :l:fp:fp:bp, :bp:fp:bp, :fk:fk:d:r:bp (37%)

ji:fp, :bp:fp:bp, :r:r, :bp:fp:bp, :r:r, :l:bp:r:fp:d:r:fp (35%)

ji:fp, :l:fp:fp:bp, :r:r, :bp:fp:bp, :l:bp:r:fp:d:r:fp (38%)

ji:fp, :bp:fp:bp, :r:r, :bp:fp:bp, :r:r, :l:bp:r:fp:en:d:r:fp (38%)

ji:fp, :l:fp:fp:bp, :bp:fp:bp, :bp:fp:bp, :l:fp:bp:d:r:fp (39%)

ji:fp, :l:fp:fp:bp, :bp:fp:bp, :bp:fp:bp, :fp:fp:en:d:r:fp (39%)

ji:fp, :l:fp:fp:bp, :bp:fp:bp, :bp:fp:bp, :l:fp:bp:d:r:bp (40%)

ji:fp, :l:fp:fp:bp, :bp:fp:bp, :bp:fp:bp, :l:fp:fp:d:r:bp (40%)

ji:fp, :l:fp:fp:bp, :bp:fp:bp, :bp:fp:bp, :fp:fp:bp:en:d:r:bp (40%)

:x Setups (You need to make them block or else they can jump the :x)

:fp:fp:x (45%)

:bp:fp:x (46%)

:r:fp:fp:x (48%)

:r:fp:bp:x (50%)

:l:fp:bp:x (52%) The most risky option to attempt the :x but the most rewarding

Strategy

Kano is a really dangerous zoner. His knife recovery is quite fast, allowing him to throw a knife and block just as fast. This allows him to win projectile battles and punish wrong timed teleports. He can even start a projectiles battle and quickly punish you with an air ball if you have a slower projectile, which puts him in your face closing the gap in an instant. Also, if your opponent tries to avoid the projectile battle and attempts to jump in, he leaves himself open for Ball punishment, which will knock him back to the other side of the screen, just like a Sagat Tiger Knee.

Overall, if Kano gets zoning control, he becomes a pain to deal with unless you can counter him with things like teleports or other tools to close the gap. However, you still need to be careful or else you can be punished, but do to his damage output you still can make more mistakes than other much more dangerous heavy hitters in MK.

Misc.

Wake Up: Currently due to the new buffs, our best Wake up option is Up Ball. It is extremely safe, and only can get punished consistently by really fast specials. Just remember to be smart and don't go trigger happy with it. Just like with every attack in fighting games, if you get predictable, you will pay for it.

Anit-Wake Up: Air Ball is an excellent punish for the wake up situation. It can either stuff or avoid most wake up attack options, unless they are the version of them, due to the super armor. Also you can use Kano's as it posses super armor which can absorb a hit and is unblockable.

Mixups: As you know, Kano now has his patched, which allows him to hit low and launch with his , this opens a whole new world of hurt for Kano who now can mix his 3 launchers (which also happen to be quite safe on block and posses 3 of the 4 different hit properties) This combined with his long range sweep and quick poke finally give him the tools to force opponents to gamble between High and low block.

What Punishes Our Up Ball?: Since there is a lot of discussion around the new Up Ball, m2dave has kindly done some research about what moves can punish it. I will update the info as m2dave finds new stuff.

- Up Ball is 7 frames fast and roughly -8 or -9 on block.

- :d:fp connect for all characters. You get 2% of damage and solid frame advantage.

- Characters with fast uppercuts (i.e., :d:bp) punish the Up Ball too. Within the "characters with fast uppercuts" category, some uppercuts are still faster than others and are therefore able to punish the Up Ball easier and more effectively. I rate the difficulty as best as I can.

- Throws are not free. Kano can crouch and throw or uppercut you. He can jump back too.

- Specific character punishment is listed below (almost complete). Only two characters can launch punish Kano: Kung Lao (any :d:r:fp including X-Ray) and Kitana (Enhanced Fan Lift).

Scorpion: Nothing.

Liu Kang: Nothing.

Kung Lao: :d:r:fp + combo / :en:d:r:fp + combo and :x + combo.

Sub Zero: Nothing.

Sindel: Nothing.

Ermac: Nothing.

Reptile: :l:r:bp / :en:l:r:bp + :l:r:bk / :en:l:r:bk

Kitana: :d:bp (moderate) and Enhanced Fan Lift + combo.

Johnny Cage: :d:bp (moderate) or :l:r:bk

Jade: Nothing, :d:r:bk is too slow.

Mileena: Nothing.

Nightwolf: :d:bp and :r:r:bk / :en:r:r:bk (hard)

Cyrax: Have to test Teleport / Enhanced Teleport.

Noob: :d:bp (hard).

Smoke: Nothing, Teleport Punch is too slow.

Sektor: :d:bp (moderate).

Sonya: :d:bp (easy).

Jax: :d:bp (easy).

Kano: :d:r:bp / :en:d:r:bp

Stryker: :d:bp (moderate).

Shang Tsung: Nothing.

Baraka: Nothing.

Kabal: Nothing, Neither :l:r:bk nor :en:l:r:bk works.

Raiden: :l:r:fk / :en:l:r:fk

Cyber Sub Zero: Nothing.

Sheeva: Nothing.

Quan Chi: :d:bp (moderate).

:en Knife Properties: GStick as provide us with his analysis of :en Knife and his Special Mid property against neutral crouch

GStick said:
I did some actual testing on the :en Knife vs neutral crouching opponents on whether or not it hits different characters and here's what I got:

Character: :en Knife Can Hit Neutral Crouch?

Scorpion: Yes
Liu Kang: Yes
Kung Lao: No
Sub-Zero: Yes
Sindel: Yes
Ermac: Sometimes*
Reptile: Yes
Kitana: No
Johnny Cage: Sometimes**
Jade: Yes
Mileena: No
Nightwolf: Yes
Cyrax: Yes
Noob Saibot: Yes
Smoke: Yes
Sektor: Yes
Sonya Blade: Yes
Jax: No
Kano: Yes
Kurtis Stryker: Yes
Shang Tsung: Yes
Baraka: Yes
Kabal: Yes
Raiden: Yes
Sheeva: Yes
Quan Chi: Yes
Cyber Sub-Zero: Yes
Kratos: Yes

* Hitting Ermac is about a 1/6 chance. The highest point of his animation probably only lasts a couple of frames.
** Hitting Johnny Cage is about a 50/50 chance. The start of his crouching animation loop is the highest point, and thus is the point that the :en knife is able to hit. This means that if one connects, another can be thrown for a "guaranteed" hit if the opponent isn't blocking, since the animation will restart. Blocking will avoid/block the second Knife. A regular Knife thrown after the :ex Knife will connect with an opponent trying to block out of hitstun (of course, they will enter blockstun at this point). This last case is probably true for all characters.

Compiled by your fellow ruthless Black Dragon member Arcade-Fever.

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!
You should change more then the end about :r:fk, that goes into alot more, and I believe the his up ball is as fast as johhny cages up shadow kick

You should change more then the end about :r:fk, that goes into alot more, and I believe the his up ball is as fast as johhny cages up shadow kick
"Kano don't have any combo string that hit low limiting his low game to low kicks and sweeps"

.... you mean..before the patch, right?
ya he put a reminder at the bottom, but he should change that part anyways
Sorry, I really had to do something and had to stop before fixing that, hope you can forgive me, also, feel free to correct anything that may be off or that could be improved.

:spoiler: wena compadre, bien hecho! :D

Thnx 4 that Thread, Kano is a very good fighter, he has also a high troll potenzial, because of zooning wiht knife and balls, people just hate him, I LIKE <3

I will tell this only once ok, lets keep the guide clean of ramblings, cries, etc, this is a thread meant to be helpful for people that want to learn Kano, not for moronic idiots trying to spam.

If you want to complain you can use that Hotfix Update Thread or the Kano Strategy Thread.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
jiP 212,212,b2f1~df+1 does 35% and Ex does 38%

jip,b112, 212, 212, ex air ball does 39%

Great work on the guide man.

To Arcade-Fever: Eres de Chile mi hermano?

On another note though, Kano has been very good to me since day 1. Worst match up so far feels like Kung Lao, Smoke, and Raiden grrrr! In MKDC Raiden was my worst match up with Kano as well. Any tips?

To Arcade-Fever: Eres de Chile mi hermano?

On another note though, Kano has been very good to me since day 1. Worst match up so far feels like Kung Lao, Smoke, and Raiden grrrr! In MKDC Raiden was my worst match up with Kano as well. Any tips?
Si, soy de Chile. :p

On regards as your question, against Kung Lao and Smoke I cant really help you but in Raiden's case, Up Ball was a great Punishing tool before the patch and even more now, if he try to keep the distance you can Knife zone him and react to his reaction, if he Teleport Up Ball him, if he use his lighting ball then jump Air Ball him, if he do a supperman block and punish, also, if you get up close start pressuring him with combo strings, but always paying attention to what he do to punish accordingly.

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!
One thing I would like to see the guide are safe options on block, like what your recommend Arcade. You don't have to do it if you don't want to but just saying safe Strings or viable options for a Kano player face with a good blocking opponent

Yes the new up ball is great but Kano is still far from broken. His wakeup is terrible in my opinion. Choke and EX choke can be ducked and punished no problem. I was fighting last night on a rare good connection. The other player would get me down and just do a simple d+3 or 4 and beat out my wakeups. Sure you can just get up block but if someone is in your face Kano has a hard time with the pressure. It may just be me. And wakeup up ball gets beaten out by everything. A combo string will beat it. And I think teleporters can give him alittle trouble too. Just saying he's beatable that's all.

One thing I would like to see the guide are safe options on block, like what your recommend Arcade. You don't have to do it if you don't want to but just saying safe Strings or viable options for a Kano player face with a good blocking opponent
Well, :bp:fp:bp, :r:fk:l:bp and :l:fp:fp:bp are quite safe strings to pressure people with, that in addition to a Choke on block can give you enough distance if you don't want to commit to a combo string and remain relatively safe, now with the new Up Ball you may want to use it instead of Choke but it is still a very good option to cancel the combo strings.

Sully

Noob
Nice guide... I am not saying the recent buffs aren't welcome, that would be a lie. In truth just having f 3 as a low was nice. His up ball is pretty frekkin' ridiculous. I don't have any offline opponents to play so I guess I'll go try to newb it up online. Good to see Kano character discussion in general is still active.

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!
Just to say for the guide a great shortcut for an air ball is :ul+(while in the air_:u:ur:r, it makes it come out really quick but you sorta of to roll it, and yes you have to jump back I know. If anyone else has any shortcuts please tell the community

Just to say for the guide a great shortcut for an air ball is :ul+(while in the air_:u:ur:r, it makes it come out really quick but you sorta of to roll it, and yes you have to jump back I know. If anyone else has any shortcuts please tell the community
Just think of the Ball like Zangief 360 grabs, that way you can always be sure to get the correct inputs, regardless if you do jump forward or backwards.

GStick

Noob
I did some actual testing on the :en Knife vs neutral crouching opponents on whether or not it hits different characters and here's what I got:

Character: :en Knife Can Hit Neutral Crouch?
Scorpion: Yes
Liu Kang: Yes
Kung Lao: No
Sub-Zero: Yes
Sindel: Yes
Ermac: Sometimes*
Reptile: Yes
Kitana: No
Johnny Cage: Sometimes**
Jade: Yes
Mileena: No
Nightwolf: Yes
Cyrax: Yes
Noob Saibot: Yes
Smoke: Yes
Sektor: Yes
Sonya Blade: Yes
Jax: No
Kano: Yes
Kurtis Stryker: Yes
Shang Tsung: Yes
Baraka: Yes
Kabal: Yes
Raiden: Yes
Sheeva: Yes
Quan Chi: Yes
Cyber Sub-Zero: Yes
Kratos: Yes

* Hitting Ermac is about a 1/6 chance. The highest point of his animation probably only lasts a couple of frames.
** Hitting Johnny Cage is about a 50/50 chance. The start of his crouching animation loop is the highest point, and thus is the point that the :en knife is able to hit. This means that if one connects, another can be thrown for a "guaranteed" hit if the opponent isn't blocking, since the animation will restart. Blocking will avoid/block the second Knife. A regular Knife thrown after the :ex Knife will connect with an opponent trying to block out of hitstun (of course, they will enter blockstun at this point). This last case is probably true for all characters.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Good work.

I'm not certain, but I think most characters can crouch under EX Knife using a well-timed d+3.