What's new

The Future of Fighting Games

no no no. I 100% agree with that. I think that is how I fair well...especially online. A lot of people are jump happy and don't realize I'm just going to knock you down if jump at me...or that I'm going to bait you to attack and step back and hit you with an advancing normal lol. Fundamentals in that game trumps all, but the worst is learning a new character. I've played Blanka and got so many of his combos/links down and now I'm trying Guile and its a pain in the ass.

Side note...did you bookmark that video or know how to find it? I am actually curious to see!

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Do you think League would have that kind of appeal if it wasn't free to play? Why is it so popular? I ask that because I have no idea and no thoughts on it, or how fighting games could copy "it" to make money. There must be something in there.
It's a good question, and I don't know the answer to it.

If any of you guys here pay League, maybe you can tell us what it is about the game that has people so utterly hooked. I've seen a lot of friends start playing hardcore, and these are guys who generally prefer 'smarter' types of games, or were high level players in other games. So I know there must be something do it :D

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Do you think League would have that kind of appeal if it wasn't free to play? Why is it so popular? I ask that because I have no idea and no thoughts on it, or how fighting games could copy "it" to make money. There must be something in there.
I'm not a fan of the Moba genre and don't really like watching it much, so I'm having a hard time wording what I want to say, and have deleted like 4 long posts already.

But to just keep it simple, why these games are popular is purely because of the mechanics, the F2P thing helps I'm sure, but that's not why people obsess over the genre.

There is nothing fighting games can take from it or copy from it to make them more popular.

They are just very different things.

It's fun they have a wide variety of characters, spells, abilities, stats, you play as a TEAM, there's comebacks, it's like a mini fucking RPG, where you PvP.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Have Capcom and SNK make Capcom Vs SNK 3 already and then we go from there. Is KOF still in the limelight as MK and SF? but the competitiveness as fighting games in the Arcades back in the day will never compare to these days. This generation will never understand.

The future I see is kinda painful but necessary or inevitable to get to the next esports level.

A mix of Tekken Revolution (rpg elements), SFxT gems, LoL/KI rotating DLCs, and other F2P and P2W shenanigans.

You start with just normals then pay to unlock special moves, then pay to unlock EX versions that you can level up, then unlock Super/Ultra/Ism/X-factor. I see fighting games with more melee weapons that you can customize, some have guard break ability, others can be charged to be unblockable, some are able to parry etc.

A ton of customization options like in SC5 and Tekken. They won't sell DLC costumes they will sell individual parts and accessories like in KI. You'll buy taunts, winning animations, character portraits. etc.

I also believe the fighting games of the future won't be fighting games only. I envision a Mortal Kombat MMO (either F2P or 15$ a month) that would play like Konquest Mode+Shaolin Monks but in a really huge and rich world. Of course it would (or should) still be a fighting game at the core but with all the social interactions of an MMO adventure RPG.

The future I see is kinda painful but necessary or inevitable to get to the next esports level.

A mix of Tekken Revolution (rpg elements), SFxT gems, LoL/KI rotating DLCs, and other F2P and P2W shenanigans.

You start with just normals then pay to unlock special moves, then pay to unlock EX versions that you can level up, then unlock Super/Ultra/Ism/X-factor. I see fighting games with more melee weapons that you can customize, some have guard break ability, others can be charged to be unblockable, some are able to parry etc.

A ton of customization options like in SC5 and Tekken. They won't sell DLC costumes they will sell individual parts and accessories like in KI. You'll buy taunts, winning animations, character portraits. etc.

I also believe the fighting games of the future won't be fighting games only. I envision a Mortal Kombat MMO (either F2P or 15$ a month) that would play like Konquest Mode+Shaolin Monks but in a really huge and rich world. Of course it would (or should) still be a fighting game at the core but with all the social interactions of an MMO adventure RPG.
This sounds so bad. In my opinion.

It's not what I want, it's where I think fighting games will go. Traditional fighting games as we know them just don't make enough profit compared to other genres.

Although a new Konquest/Shaolin Monks game sounds awesome. :)

I'm not the biggest fan of it either, but something needs to change in the business model of how fighters, especially non Capcom properties, are handled. Fighters need long term ongoing support to thrive on a competitive level. Consumers today don't really care for the annual update method, and I doubt that most players have any interest in paying a subscription fee either.
That pretty much leaves F2p/P2w.

Some elements of this I don't mind. I actually enjoy the idea of an online hub world where players could challenge each other in this way. The issue I have with it is in how the RPG elements would be handled. I always find RPGs and fighters difficult to reconcile because part of what I enjoy so much about a fighter is that, bad matchups aside, its effectively skill against skill. Your level doesn't matter. Once you start introducing levels and stats like this you eventually are faced with the fact that you have an RPG with fighting game elements rather than the other way around, sort of like how Deus Ex or Mass Effect 1 is an RPG with shooter elements.

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
It's not what I want, it's where I think fighting games will go. Traditional fighting games as we know them just don't make enough profit compared to other genres.

Although a new Konquest/Shaolin Monks game sounds awesome. :)
Injustice actually did fairly well, as it was the best selling game in the U.S. in May and still sells quite a bit.

In order to make a profit FGs have to appeal to the casual player, and the best way to do that is single player content and a lower learning curve.

input

Noob
Motion Controlled Fighters.
Possibly. Depends on the creativity and design implementation of the developer. Not to mention the current state of technology available. Granted they might cater to a different crowd, but that's not to say they couldn't be competitive.

For whatever reason though, in their current form, most motion based fighting games appear to be limited in movement and just plain inefficient. There are a lot of hurdles in creating a true to life motion game, that's for sure.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Possibly. Depends on the creativity and design implementation of the developer. Not to mention the current state of technology available. Granted they might cater to a different crowd, but that's not to say they couldn't be competitive.

For whatever reason though, in their current form, most motion based fighting games appear to be limited in movement and just plain inefficient. There are a lot of hurdles in creating a true to life motion game, that's for sure.
I am in the minority of wanting to see motion control die off completely.

If you want to exercise then go outside and get some exercise lol

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Did anyone in here play guilty gear isuka? It was a 2v2 2d fighting game that had 2 "planes" and players could hop back and forth at will between the 2. They had one bad mechanic, the player was in control of which side they were facing, and it ruined the experience for many people. I would LOVE a new game like that. Or similarly as others have said, any fg that puts a team of players into a single match.