What's new

Strategy The freaking input for the command grab

Chengler

Milky Holmes
Maybe I'm a noob, or maybe I suck or something like that. But the input is so difficult to perform on the fly. I can do it in a nice clean sterile training mode 80% of the time. If Im careful. But for Heavens sake in a fight its just impossible.

Momentum

Proud owner of the briefcase hitbox
You'll get used to it. I couldn't consistently do it at the start but now I have no problem even cancelling it from standing 1.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
AW MAN, YOU MEAN I GOTTA PUT IN AN INPUT AS OPPOSED TO JUST PRESSING A BUTTON WITH GRUNDY?! lol 2013.

Chengler

Milky Holmes
AW MAN, YOU MEAN I GOTTA PUT IN AN INPUT AS OPPOSED TO JUST PRESSING A BUTTON WITH GRUNDY?! lol 2013.
Nah man, its the freaking down back forward. It messes with me.

I'm used to and like nice clean back forwards or quarter circles. Not this.

Oh in that case, I use f2,f2 which stuns them and that gives me the time I need to do the HM if it works. I also saw a combo for 2,2,cancel HM which also works for me. As simple as I've seen it. And you have to be really picky with the controls. I have the joystick and found it much easier than the analog for that move. I think it is tricky if you're using a Dpad or analog.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Wow, way to be a dickhead.

Shit is dumb, why couldn't NRS just get full 360's like eveyone else? or at least get the half circle forward command down right, shit is too strict to just throw out on a PS3 d-pad/analog consistently. I feel like SF's half circles are easier to do that these ones.

I've had the same problem with Cyborg and KF.

kronspik

Noob
I had the same problem with that input in MK9. It's stupid and arbitrary in a game that normally has pretty lenient inputs. P4A did this right imo.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
There's nothing to get over, sir.

I don't like the way they did their command grabs, i'm not asking for a change.

And i've been practicing, still am.

sea_guy

Monitor
There's even a shortcut for the command grab in this game - you can do d, db,d1 and get the standing grab. This won't work in a combo but if you're just doing something simple like a f22 reset or a wakeup grab it's mad easy. I play on stick though, hate pad - I think it makes it easier to do something like b3 j3 f2231 xx dbf1.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I'm using a PS3 controller man, feels like the D-Pad is microscopic, hitting d,b,uf or d,b,df instead of d,b,f more often than i'd like.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
You can get over it. Practice harder.

Have you looked at buffer window between down back and forward? Bane's is pretty large.

poofynamanama2

SHAZAAAAAAAAM
I can do it almost every try in a real fight in the p1 side, but it never comes out on p2 side. I've had to come up with different combos depending on what side I am on :(

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I had the same problem with that input in MK9. It's stupid and arbitrary in a game that normally has pretty lenient inputs. P4A did this right imo.
The major difference is dbf inputs work in mk9 because they weren't moves you throw out in the middle of a combo. (doing jax's far ground pound or kenshi's far overhead after a combo does not count)

Simple as practice. Get over it
As much as I've had the distaste for the input myself, this is basically the only way. Its rough breaking in, to be sure, but if you keep working at it it might almost become second nature.

I use shazam, so I know your pain. A potential 40% gone because I dropped an input makes me derp for the rest of the round. lol

kronspik

Noob
The major difference is dbf inputs work in mk9 because they weren't moves you throw out in the middle of a combo. (doing jax's far ground pound or kenshi's far overhead after a combo does not count)
I find it harder to do them outside of combos when you need to react to situations. Like needing to do freddys far spike on reaction to them jumping back.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I can actually do Bane's the easiest for some reason, I guess that's why or whatever?
You need to be very articulate with your presses. Very aware of where your thumb is when doing the command. Try doing each input independently. As in, pick your thumb up and press each input separately. Sliding just doesn't work for me, and I don't even have big hands. I get what you said...dbdf so I end up getting the df command. Try my way though, if you haven't yet.

Edit: By input I mean the directional commands.