What's new

Tech The Forgotten String: B124

NKZero

Noob
I always wonder why Sub Zero players never mix it up between the B121 (last hit must be blocked standing) and B124 (last hit must be blocked crouching). I know the 4 in the B124 string only does 3% damage on hit but if people keep blocking to prevent the B121 (which is understandable), then it opens the door for easy damage.

Also it gives the opponent something to think about. They might say to themselves "oh I don't mind losing 3%. Better than getting hit by B121 and facing more pressure and taking more chip." But, eventually, those 3% hits build up and could make the difference between winning and losing rounds.

It's similar to Kitana's mix-up between F41 and F4B4 in that everyone tries to block against the launcher but using the low sweep option never hurts and will almost always catch your opponent off guard.

I'm not saying the B124 for Sub Zero should be used as a proper mix-up but it could be used towards the end of rounds or early on if you want your opponent to respect the low option. I feel it's highly under-used (even by myself I must admit).

In terms of frame data as well, B121 is -10 on block (though you can ice clone cancel). B124 is safe on block (exactly 0). What d'you guys think?

NKZero

Noob
Oh yeah thats true. But dyou have to guess that Sub Zero will either end B12 with a 1 or a 4 or can you react to the motion and jump out. If you can react then it's pretty much worthless. If it's just a guessing game, then it's still viable. The next time, I could B12, then 22 anti air into freeze for a combo.

NKZero

Noob
I'm saying the chances of someone anticipating the low rather than the overhead is very slim. So you'll knock the opponent down. Then leave a tiny bit of space and set up a clone if need be. Or just continue pressure (obviously watching out for wake-up attacks).

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
they have loads of time to jump out, its not like its even strict, i would only call it a guessing game if the opponent doesnt know they can jump out.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
B124 ends in a knockdown. What makes B121 so good is that it if they choose to block it, they get a throw, if they choose to not block it they eat a 22 ice ball.

NKZero

Noob
How can you get a throw or continued pressure after B121 on block? Or maybe I don't understand ur point. It's unsafe unless you cancel it with an ice clone at the end (which catches many people out since it has a tricky delay).

MK Kobra

Noob
How can you get a throw or continued pressure after B121 on block? Or maybe I don't understand ur point. It's unsafe unless you cancel it with an ice clone at the end (which catches many people out since it has a tricky delay).
He's talking about on hit. On hit, the 4 gives a knockdown. The 1 allows for mix-ups on hit, since they're in a stagger state.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Theres 4 options off the 1 string right?

B12 clone - this stops an opponent trying to cross over
B124 - low
B121 - overhead
B12, neutral - if they jump back can you get a slide in on reaction? Then theres pokes etc.

Is B12 clone interruptable by characters with fast jabs like Sonya or Sektor?

NKZero

Noob
He's talking about on hit. On hit, the 4 gives a knockdown. The 1 allows for mix-ups on hit, since they're in a stagger state.
Ok gotcha. Still my point is that people don't expect the low so if they stay blocking and trying to guess between the two, you are very likely to catch them with the low. Obviously the opponent jumping out or you deciding to cut the string short and do something else is another matter. I don't want to really go into what might and might not happen. I'm just saying it should be used more often coz its safer than the overhead and it will act as a surprise factor. I'm certainly not labelling it as a game changer...

NKZero

Noob
Theres 4 options off the 1 string right?

B12 clone - this stops an opponent trying to cross over
B124 - low
B121 - overhead
B12, neutral - if they jump back can you get a slide in on reaction? Then theres pokes etc.

Is B12 clone interruptable by characters with fast jabs like Sonya or Sektor?
Not sure actually that's a good question. I do know that you're pretty much safe if you B121 clone more because of the pushback rather than recovery. But with regards to B12 clone I'm not sure.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
b1,2 is very HC into ice ball on hit. on block, the clone comes out right after the shiv hits. I'll go look at the frame data to confirm if you can be poked, but I don't think so.
Honestly there is not reason to ever use b1,2,4. The last hit of both of these strings on block are interruptible for full combo by most characters. I'm not giving up my mix up on hit just to get a sweep.

f0xy posted the best possible uses for b1,2 on block. You can hit characters that are still blocking with a standing 2,1 or 2,2 if they don't jump immediately after block. Its good to throw into the mix of a 2,1 if they are crouch blocking as the second and third hits are both overheads.

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
I agree with most that it is pretty useless because it can be escaped on block and stagger/freeze are better options than knockdown. Also I think 1,3,f4 is the true forgotten Sub-Zero string.

13f4 isnt that bad, u can mix it up with 13,slide

after b121 i like to do 1,13f4, it can catch people easily offguard becouse everyone is blocking low against sub.
But overall its forgotten and not the best

btw. Most forgotten string is 3,F+4 ! :D

Metalic

Noob
There's really no reason to finish the B12 strings on block OR hit, excluding B121 in combos obviously. If blocked, B12~clone is great, or just B12 since it's neutral. On hit, you have good window to cancel in to ice for a full combo. Sure, you can start using B12 cancels and whatnot on block to make them scared to jump out, but that's a TON of conditioning over the course of a few games for...3 or 4% damage if B124. Just more practical and safer to do that kind of conditioning after ending a BnB with B121

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
One string that comes handy sometimes is 1,3,b4. No one uses it, so most of times opponents doesn't know they have to crouch block in the of the string. It's fat and gives you a free knock down.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
B124 on hit recovers really fast and leaves the opponent knocked down for pretty long. Its the only normal outside 21 that gives you enough time for a Ice Puddle.....barely. If we had Ice Puddle cancel it would be a nice trick but as of now, B124 has little to no use, B12 slide does more damage and builds meter.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
The string can be interrupted, has a slow start up (this is why no one ever uses it except off of a JiP), and there's no real reason to block low against it. If the High hits you get stuck in a 50/50, if the low hits you get knocked down and that's it.

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
Here's the thing with Sub... playing Sub mid screen is like playing Kabal with no NDC or Kitana without IAF. Playing Sub in the corner is the opposite.

So really the idea is to get to the corner ASAP and forget all the other fancy shit.