What's new

The fighting games VS thread.

Alice

Haaave you met Sektor?
So after all this time all of our opinions changed of Mortal Kombat 9.
We saw how this game changed and exploited over the months, and
well I am curious what do you say?
Is MK9 deep as other fighters like SSFIV, MVC3 or any other fg nowadays?
Many told that it is simple and nowhere complex as other fighting games to date
personally I think it is and it is a fighting game worthy for 100% competitive gameplay.

Discuss!

Wait let me get this right.

You're going to ask if MK is competitive and "deep" as other fighting games (a subjective question) in a MK community forum (with tons of MK fanboys) where MK has been in many tournaments and majors?

Why do I feel like this is a rhetorical question?

Alice

Haaave you met Sektor?
Wait let me get this right.

You're going to ask if MK is competitive and "deep" as other fighting games (a subjective question) in a MK community forum where MK has been in many tournaments and majors.

Why do I feel like this is a rhetorical question?

I just did, I believe many of us play other fighting games as well. It's not a sin like we cheat on MK or anything. :D
Each fighting game has it's weak and strong points, so Mk too. And I know it is a tournament worthy game, but
still can't decide that if this or let's say an Mvc3 is deeper. There we have many-many options thanks to the cast and for the teamplay
but I feel like each character is not that deep as in MK9.
I just want to hear opinions about this, that is all. Shit i'm here too and play MK competetively...

I just did, I believe many of us play other fighting games as well. It's not a sin like we cheat on MK or anything. :D
Each fighting game has it's weak and strong points, so Mk too. And I know it is a tournament worthy game, but
still can't decide that if this or let's say an Mvc3 is deeper. There we have many-many options thanks to the cast and for the teamplay
but I feel like each character is not that deep as in MK9.
I just want to hear opinions about this, that is all. Shit i'm here too and play MK competetively...
Any open-combo system game will be "deeper" in some aspects because by definition of being an open-combo system. You can create your own combo in almost an infinite amount of ways with creativity being the cap.

Outside of that, everything else is subjective. Some say fireball exchanges are weaker than SSF4 due to not clashing, some say footsy are a lot weaker in MK and so forth. All of that is subjective.

Alice

Haaave you met Sektor?
Any open-combo system game will be "deeper" in some aspects because by definition of being an open-combo system. You can create your own combo in almost an infinite amount of ways with creativity being the cap.

Outside of that, everything else is subjective. Some say fireball exchanges are weaker than SSF4 due to not clashing, some say footsy are a lot weaker in MK and so forth. All of that is subjective.
Well yes, however this combo system still fits the Mk series, always did.
Strange that I think that the projectiles don't collide and nullify each other midscreen is deeper to some point, since each projectile trade may have effects
that makes you opp or you think what to actually do, not only hadoukenhadoukenhadouken.

Well yes, however this combo system still fits the Mk series, always did.
Strange that I think that the projectiles don't collide and nullify each other midscreen is deeper to some point, since each projectile trade may have effects
that makes you opp or you think what to actually do, not only hadoukenhadoukenhadouken.
If you think they are "hadoukenhadoukenhadouken" just for the sake of doing it, then you don't have the concept of high level SF.

6:10 ultradavid sums it up nicely

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I think MK is a Deeper game overall than MvC, and Deadliest Warrior, if that counts as a FG.(There are most likely more but I have not heard of any other fighters that fit this description currently).

I think it is just as deep as SF, they both do play differently however.

Games like BlazBlue, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Super Smash Bros Melee(I got vids and all sorts of stuff to prove this. At a high level people could do sick stuff with this game) KOF, Soul Calibur, Skullgirls probably, are all deeper and harder to learn than MK.

Basically I think MK is one of the easier fighting games to learn and even master. Not trying to take anything away from competitive players, but to an average joe MK would be way easier to pick up than something like BlazBlue.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I think MK9 is waayyyyy better than any current other fighting game. This engine is good and cool for this game, and, the game mechanic is more fun .... I hate, simple hate, the ultra exaggerated effects in UMVC3, Tekken is not a game serie/franchise I like (I hate 3D FGs), and SSF4AE is boring after 2 months of gameplay, too cartoonish for my taste .....

MK has a better adult approach, better story, better characters, and , overall, IMO, is better in every single way. The concepts of fighting game (frame advantage, fuzzy guard, footsies, pokes, chip damage, zoning, etc) seems more clear and easy to understand and see in the practical way, for a begginer, if using this game (MK9) than those ultra fast paced projectile particule explosion party called UMVC3 or SSF4AE .... MK9 seems more visual wise clean and the engine core mechanic is pleasurable to play.

MK9 requires strategy, training, dedication, brainy inteligence, smart decisions, good reflexes, good time command execution and constant practice. So the game has all elements to be considered a "deep" fighting game that work as a professional one.

Overall, it's hard to argue that MK isn't the best game of the lot. The sheer breadth of content if offers is second to none in the genre. The best fighting game however, that's totally subjective. For instance, I'm trying to get into SSF4:AE-2012 and while I can recognize the merits in that game, there's quite a lot of it that I don't like, and that's totally subjective. For UMvC3 and KoF13, weather or not they are any good is irrelevant because I don't like Team/Tag fighters.

You can't quantify fighting games, as much as people want to think you can. If we could, we would live in a Virtua Fighter world. It all comes down to personal tastes, and in that regard MK fits my tastes the best.

Basically I think MK is one of the easier fighting games to learn and even master. Not trying to take anything away from competitive players, but to an average joe MK would be way easier to pick up than something like BlazBlue.
I would argue that point on the ground that, at least it's been my experience, getting people who don't have a background in UMK3 to wrap their heads around dials is like pulling teeth. The "hump" for MK is steeper, but it's also sooner than a lot of games.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Comparing fighting games by asking which is "better/deeper/more competitive" is entirely the wrong way to go. Because it will always lead to down playing or bashing another fighter to make "yours" look better. Even if you say "MK9 has this and this and this", that implies that the other fighters don't have that. I don't think you can know which fighter is objectively better in most regards. You can theoretically, but it requires so much explaining and in detail responses. Because you have to explain your reasoning for every little thing. For instance, if you say "The projectiles are better in SF", you'd have to explain how they're used in SF compared to other fighters, and then explain why the way SF uses them is better. Which then would still be your opinion, just your opinion backed by explanation, detail and evidence.

Most people aren't willing to do that, so threads like these end up as people just flaming other games and other people with different opinions. Besides that, threads like these don't help the FG community. You can say, "well it's just a thread"... well yeah it is. But it encourages this kind of garbage thinking/attitude that it's okay to bash other fighting games. We need our community united, not divided. And when everyone is constantly talking shit about other FG's, it makes the entire community look bad and childish.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Comparing fighting games by asking which is "better/deeper/more competitive" is entirely the wrong way to go. Because it will always lead to down playing or bashing another fighter to make "yours" look better. Even if you say "MK9 has this and this and this", that implies that the other fighters don't have that. I don't think you can know which fighter is objectively better in most regards. You can theoretically, but it requires so much explaining and in detail responses. Because you have to explain your reasoning for every little thing. For instance, if you say "The projectiles are better in SF", you'd have to explain how they're used in SF compared to other fighters, and then explain why the way SF uses them is better. Which then would still be your opinion, just your opinion backed by explanation, detail and evidence.

Most people aren't willing to do that, so threads like these end up as people just flaming other games and other people with different opinions. Besides that, threads like these don't help the FG community. You can say, "well it's just a thread"... well yeah it is. But it encourages this kind of garbage thinking/attitude that it's okay to bash other fighting games. We need our community united, not divided. And when everyone is constantly talking shit about other FG's, it makes the entire community look bad and childish.
Well said. This is why MK players bashing other fighters is a bad idea, even if that fighter's community bashes MK. Being the better man(community) is always the way to go.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
yep .....

Comparison between FGs , without hatred intention, that's fine.

You should remember that, a game that you don't like, doesn't means that game is bad, nope. Not that bad to the point you suddenly thinks that even the people who enjoy that game, could look less inteligent and understand fucking nothing about fighting games .... no way

If so, you end to look bad like those SF4 fan boys in NEC stream, cursing the fact that MK9 was being showed ..... pure dumbass and ridiculous attitude, by the way.

Flagg

Noob
Nice thread Alice.

Firstly, I cant stand fanboys. Im a fan of fighters, not just one.

As for deepness, well look at that recent Rain tech...that armour move that works like Jades glow. This game just shows that lots of things are still to be discovered. I don't think this is as deep as a SF game, it is deeper than the VS games though. There was stuff being discovered for SSFT for years....can MK II boast the same?

Like Ultra David states, fighting games is a thinking mans game. A lot of other games gives you the luxury of taking time to do something, in a fighter you have to act on pure instinct and know what to use and when. It's why I love fighting games and its a shame they dont get more credit in the gaming world than they do. Im sure a lot of people think that Virtual Fighter is boring to watch compared to say, Tekken, but you'll have a lot of VF purists state that VF is the most technical fighting game series ever made.