What's new

The ECT 2019 Hype, Salt and Updates Thread

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Struggle where? SonicFox struggle with character like Jade and Dvorah against massively broken Liu Kang. And he struggle against other Kang player, because Kang was and still is OP.
Mk10 is no comparison at all, cause it was complete dead game, and Sonic and other top players moved to other games long ago.
And Sonic beat him pretty convincingly in top 8 at the CEO and at the NA East Online Cup.
As far as this night match, it was totally SonicFox outplay ninjakilla.
This has absolutely nothing to do with anything I said about the Kang/Liu matchup. The fact that Johnny outranges and easily whiff punishes so many of Liu's favorite buttons is a big deal, and the straight fireball keeps him at least honest in the zoning. This means that LK, who is used to controlling space against so many other characters, has to deal with a character that controls the space against him in the MU.

You can say 'outplay' all you want, but the truth is that Ninja could not get comfortable in footsie range due JC's kit. And that means he has to commit to risks that can be whiff punished, AA'ed, etc. It's a big deal.

And we can start talking about KBs, FBs and so on and how much more option Liu Kang have over Johnny, but that doesnt change anything.
SonicFox totally outplay him.
ninja can runback and won the whole tournament tho, but that still not going to change that ninja was outplayed.

As far as zoning goes i still prefer Liu Kang ones, just because of his option. Sonic just outplayed him both in zoning and in close range.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
This has absolutely nothing to do with anything I said about the Kang/Liu matchup. The fact that Johnny outranges and easily whiff punishes so many of Liu's favorite buttons is a big deal, and the straight fireball keeps him at least honest in the zoning. This means that LK, who is used to controlling space against so many other characters, has to deal with a character that controls the space against him in the MU.

You can say 'outplay' all you want, but the truth is that Ninja could not get comfortable in footsie range due JC's kit. And that means he has to commit to risks that can be whiff punished, AA'ed, etc. It's a big deal.
I agree. I said this long ago and I'm surprised how many people fail to see liu has short range compared to footsie characters.

Jade has long range, so what? The matchup is like 10-0 for Kang players ....
But lets give Kang more range, so its became even more brainless and require even less skill to play the character. :)
BTW Kang player in this tournament was like every 3rd player ....

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I'm happy for Liu Kang players and fans. It always feels awesome when the character you like playing is good to play.
All this talk about nerfing though... how about buffing the other characters up to the same standard, instead of deflating all the fun out of those characters which are already good and fun to play?

Balancing a game doesn't have to mean making all the characters boring to play as.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Sonics like the Jordan of the FGC he disarmed the shit of of ninja with tekken all the while building his cage in the background. Let'snot forget ninja still has Jackie and jax in the tuck.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Sonic's gonna win.

(Even though @M.D. is right and Cage winning every tournament from now until MK23: The Golden Girls Are DLC won't change the fact that his whiffing issues are ridiculous)

LawAbidingCitizen

Yes
Is this Soul Eater in Top 8?
Yes Shang V3 is in Top 8 but its one of Kombats many characters and he used him vs ISG| HeeyGe0rge which is a very string player and has an insane Frost Arctic Anarchy.
So many V3's are used in this tournament. M2Daves thread saying "V3 having no impact on the Meta" isn't looking good right after ECT.
Outtake and Arctic Anarchy changed and had massive impact on the meta alone without even looking at the vast amount of new variations used.

kevkopdx

Noob
Whether or not frost’s variation 3 is too strong, the extra work needed to win against top tier krushing blow monsters like geras and liu kang is obvious. Hey George is fun to watch that’s for sure!

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
This is it. HeyGeorge vs. NinjaKilla. This will show whether George is worth his salt against the best of the best.

However, win or lose, George has shown some hardcore badassery at this tournament.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Sonic loves to make things interesting for himself. You have to think that if he played Outtake the whole way, he'd be in the Winners' side of Grand Finals right now.

LawAbidingCitizen

Sonic vs Ninjakilla losers finals then
Dragon vs the winner of LF in Grand finals

ISG| HeeyGeorge is absolutely amazing with Frost he placed 4th but he has shown his amazing talent taking out so many top players only losing to Sonic and Ninjakilla which are the best in the world.
Looks like V3's are very much game changers

LawAbidingCitizen

OMFG SONIC with That comeback vs NinjaKilla in Losers Finals 5-4 using Johnny ShowStopper
Hype AF

Now its Dragon vs Sonic?