What's new

The Differences between UMK3 and MKT on PSX

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I posted this on SRK tonight.

When I discuss MKT, I only refer to the final version of the game on PSX, and nothing else, unless otherwise noted.

MKT is faster than UMK3 as well, changing the timing on things a bit. Aside from the speed increase, the engine for MKT is 99.9% the same as UMK3. If you play MKT on an emulator, you can adjust the frame rate from 60 to 53.2 FPS, to be the same as UMK3, eliminating the speed difference. From there you only have to contend with the added characters, almost all of which have some kind of practical infinite. One might say the Aggressor Meter is also a difference, but I say, "It can be disabled." and it always should be.

Existing character differences between UMK3 and MKT:

Noob Saibot (playable in UMK3 only through hacks) has a beyond full set of moves, and previously had none. The Disabler is a projectile with very fast start up, traveling speed, and recovery. When it hits, your character cannot block attacks, and cannot hit you for a short period of time. This move has a bizarre reset property when it wears off, it breaks the counter, no matter where you are when it is done. If you're in the air, the combo resets and so does damage, but you still are completely vulnerable as you would be normally, ie: no instant recovery. One Disabler = infinite potential on many characters. He has a Teleport Slam, which when it connects, you can combo either of his special moves. This move has an infinite property, where if you put enough time in between uses, you can repeat it. This is typically satisfied by 3 aaJabs. Noob's faster walking speed allows him to get these necessary jabs on virtually anyone. He also has a Clone Throw, which works like Scorpion's Spear, except he throws a clone of himself at you, which runs up and throws you like they would in MKII. If the Clone catches you, you are tossed into the air at an abnormal pattern. With the right timing, Noob can infinite off his move. He can also infinite off his 4 hit pop up. This means, Noob Saibot can start an infinite off any logical attack, and utilize his moves in combination to make it look fancy, or reset to end things quickly. Noob Saibot's throw also does heavy damage. Noob takes normal damage (he took boss damage in UMK3.

Cyrax has no changes that I'm aware of.

Sonya has no changes that I'm aware of.

Shang Tsung's morphing ability is increased due to the added morphs he can now perform, however, typically in tournament play, Shang would be required to use the limited (no load) feature, which forces him to select specific morphs. He can max out his morphs by selecting any male ninja, which gives him all the male ninjas due them being palette swaps, and either the robot or female ninjas. He can also morph into his opponent. If your opponent pics any one of the palette swap characters, you can max out your morphs to like 12 characters I believe. I don't remember if Human Smoke has a morph. I also am not 100% on whether Shang benefits from the screen size resolution with his Ground Eruption infinite. This is not a particularly dangerous infinite, as I don't think I've ever once seen it completed in a competitive match.

Kitana has no changes that I'm aware of.

Kano has a Crazy Cannon Ball, which flies around the screen in a random zigzag pattern. I have heard players say it is a useful move, but due to the fact that it randomly hits your opponent and be blocked and you have no control over that, I would say it's definitely not useful.

Scorpion. Ah yes Scorpion. He has the Forward Teleport Punch, well it's not really so much a teleport punch as it is an attacking forward dash. So far as I know, it has no real teleport value. It is very valuable and good for mix ups, but it is just as punishable as his regular teleport. The teleports do not affect each other's usage in terms of frequency, but, they do both disabled after 4 hits, and both do cause damage protection. Regardless, it makes him worth picking.

Unmasked Sub-zero has no intentional differences. I believe his Ice Shower is affected but the new game resolution. His regular freeze has a weird property where now if you spam it, it will disappear on occasion. I don't believe that was intentional, but it can be useful.

Human Smoke has none I am aware of. He is one of few characters affected by the difference in screen area from UMK3 to MKT, because of the resolution, but it does not hinder him in any competitive way.

Reptile has no changes that I am aware of.

Jax has no changes that I am aware of.

Mileena has no changes I am aware of, however her Teleport Kick may be affected by the game resolution.

Sektor has the Double Dumb Missile. This move is not necessarily a substitute for the regular Dumb Missile. It's good to use in combos, and on the occasional mix up. Also, apparently he can no longer fire a Dumb Missile while a Smart Missile is out. In UMK3, Player 1 Sektor could do this and it made him a lot better than Player 2 Sektor. This is bad news for Sektor. There is a similar issue with Player 2 Jax in UMK3, where you cannot do the Gotcha Grab, or Dashing Fist while charging the Ground Pound.

Liu Kang has the Red Bicycle Kick. It goes farther than the normal one and has a red trail. It's not particularly impressive.

Jade has no changes I am aware of.

Sheeva has no changes I am aware, but, her Teleport Stomp is another one of those moves that might benefit or be hindered by the new game res.

Kung Lao can now move around during his Spin. This is a ridiculous an unnecessary property that makes him in some ways, more broken. Fortunately, his Spin is disabled after one hit so he can no longer do his corner infinite. He also has a Double Teleport. For this move, he will appear in front of you an extra time before he appears behind you. It's somewhat useful.

Robot Smoke has no changes I am aware of.

Nightwolf has a Red Shoulder Tackle which acts similarly to Liu Kang's Red Bike Kick. Also, the recover time or collision detection on his regular Tackle may be very slightly shorter than in UMK3, but I'm not 100% on this. You can punish with aaHPHP, Tackle, Tackle, in MKT, even the final version, fairly easily, but in UMK3 I believe the only character who can be punished with this mid screen is Jax, and it's very difficult. Also, his Axe is red in his combo (the one that is built into his combo only), and his Arrow is Red when it has the fast start up in a combo. This merely indicates that the moves are comboed and have faster startup.

Sindel has a Double Fireball, similar to Sektor's Double Missile.

Ermac has no changes I am aware of, but again, the teleport can be altered by the screen res. He also has some added finishers.

Classic Sub-zero has no changes I am aware of, but he has some added finishers as well.

Stryker has the Double Grenade. He throws both the high and low Grenades at the same time, and has massive recovery time. It's a relatively worthless move unless it's used to terminate a combo for the extra damage, or to win a match vs an opponent on danger, but even when it hits he can still be punished.

Kabal has no changes I am aware of.

If I have forgotten any changes for any characters, feel free to add them. This was all off the top of my head.

The Added Characters:

I haven't written up full guides here for the extra MKT characters, or MKT specific guide modifications to the existing UMK3 characters, but I will give a run down on what is different for the characters compared to their previous incarnations for now because that's easy.

Johnny Cage is an entirely new character. He doesn't have any recycled animations from the previous Johnny Cages sprites. He has a Red Shadow Kick which was a play off the one you could do in MKII. It also operates similarly to Nightwolf's Red Shoulder Tackle mentioned in my previous post. He doesn't have the Low Blow. I don't know why they removed this, other than the fact that they didn't feel like filming the new animation for everyone. He has some really hacked combos, no launcher kick, which I figured they would have done for his combo but the martial artist they got probably wasn't good enough to do it and they didn't feel like hacking it. Overall, the worst incarnation of Johnny Cage in any 2D MK.

Baraka is basically complete from MKII. Added is his Blade Spin, which is performed similarly to Kung Lao's Spin in MK3, but with Block instead of Run. This move is crazy broken. I don't understand why they would think to limit this monstrosity to two hits, but not give it damage protection. Two Blade Spins and any major hit and you're talking 50%+. Baraka's Blade Swipe has UMK3 properties. In MKII it eventually pushed you back in the corner like all moves would do after 4 juggled hits, but in MKT, he can get a good many Blade Swipes in the corner now before you hit the ground with relatively simple timing. He does not have his 2 hit pop up they gave him in MKII, but instead, has generic hacked together combos. Wouldn't it have been logical to give him a 2 hit pop up with HK, HK, that worked exactly like Jax's LP in his 7 hit combo? Not a full launch, but the little pop up it does, so he could finish it with a Blade Fury or I dunno, anything else? They could even have still given him a couple more hits that could finish it like a normal combo given the option. I dunno, just seems stupid to me that the first chain combo in an MK game didn't return when that character came back, in his exact form. Oh well, I should also mention Baraka was refilmed so he has full running animation, and the MK3 style falling animation when beaten.

MKII Raiden is also very much complete from his MKII incarnation. He was given a reverse Electricity that goes off the screen and comes behind you. Doing both Electricity moves will result in some frame disappearance. Again, this is just something that happens. He has running and falling animations, and his Superman is built into one of his ground combos. He has some weird ground comboing properties as well with holding directions causing a different number of hits which looks like otherwise like the same combo, similar to Kabal's 3 and 4 hit kick combos in MK3. All his combos feel and look hacked with almost no creativity, but I find him fun to use.

MK1 Raiden feels ultra hacked. They didn't try very hard to make him feel like he plays in the MK3 style. He is about as clunky as he was in MK1, but has now been given an air Superman attack, similar to Raiden being given this in MKII. His combos are all totally hacked and uninspired. He doesn't have a ducking LP or a ducking LK like in MK1, but his ducking LK acts like the ducking HK and is as fast as a ducking LK. This results in corner infinites with just the ducking LK after a pop up combo. Fortunately he has a pop up otherwise he'd be last, last, last. I don't remember, nor do I care, if they filled out his finishers list. He has no run animation but he does walk much faster when you use run, similar to all the remaining characters from previous MKs, and no MK3 style fall. His jab animation is pretty hacked up.

Rain is similar to Noob Saibot, in the respect he can score infinites in many scenarios. His infinite pattern is not fool proof for every character, but it is dangerous nonetheless. He has the Lightning Bolt, the Rain Ball, (or Rain Drop as I prefer to call it) and the Super Roundhouse. He can start his infinite off any of these moves and the Lightning is particularly fast, with fast recovery. If Ermac's lift recovery operated like Rain's lightning...well I don't want to get into how that would be. The Rain Drop's properties are somewhat unique. The contact allows you to place the character anywhere you want on the screen over the duration of a few seconds, after which they will drop out of the air. You can fire the Rain Drop several times in a row, making contact each time, with no penalty, unlikely virtually all other projectiles in the game, however it has a hit limit usage. You can connect a Lightning Bolt to knock them high into the air, a Rain Drop on the way down, that pulls them close to you, then do a standing HP, Super Roundhouse, and start his infinite pattern. So, all three specials have infinite potential, and oh yeah, his 5 hit kick combo ends in the Super Roundhouse. You must put one hit between each RH to perform the infinite, so timing and positioning are required.

MK1 Kano is even more hacked than MK1 Raiden. A lot of his attacks were refilmed for some reason. DreemerNJ believes they thought the sprites from MK1 were too low quality, but to be honest, I think they are higher quality than what we see on the watered down PSX. I think they just lost them or something, after all there was as little effort put into MKT as possible somehow. Kano's victory pose is recycled from MK3 Kano, at least, I think they pasted the top half on and repaletted it. He has a new kick in his combo, no headbutt, instead an elbow smash that happens 4 times, and his old Roundhouse is missing. His Jabs are totally butchered. They are so unbelievably fast you can juggle up to 4 of them in a string. They hit like machine gun bullets. I don't understand this because all the animation was there, it just needed to be smoothened out. Also, his straight up (neutral) Jump Kick has a strange property where if you tap the kick while in the air, it will retract and come out again. I don't think you can make double contact with it so far as I remember. Added, is his Knife Uppercut. He rotates his arms in a ridiculous and hacked manner even though it's completely new animation, resulting in a pop up/launcher. It has reasonable corner juggle potential, but I believe it activates Damage Protection from what I remember. He also has the same animation flaws as MK1 Raiden for attacks, however in the final version of MKT, his ducking LK cannot infinite in the corner, but it still is faster and can bump up his corner juggle damage.

MKII Jax is a very solid character. His combos have some more creativity and uniqueness about them but not much. They could have removed a hit from them each and still been the same damage without being so horrifically repetitive. I don't know if they already had the animation sitting around but there are some things in there he didn't have like the big punch at the end of one of his combo. He has an air Sonic Wave. This creates for some sinister mix ups with ground and air Wave spam. His MKII moves like the standing HK, gotcha, Ground Pound and Backbreaker for the most part serve the same purpose they did in MKII itself, except the overhead fist, which doesn't really exist anymore is part of his combo and doesn't stun, and he can't do a grounded Jump Kick to Backbreaker like he could in MKII because that concept was removed from air throws in MK3. He must compete with the inherit rushdown ability from others which in MKII, didn't exist. He is missing his Arm Rip fatality, as they obviously didn't feel like refilming it for everyone. It can be tough to juggle with him due the odd collision his jabs have, but with the right timing you can cause some massive corner damage with him using his Air Sonic Wave as a juggle.

MKII Kung Lao is a monster. He has basically everything from MKII except one of his Fatalities. He benefits from the better juggling collision and frame to frame timing of MK3 on his dive kick combos. His ground combos like all other added characters are hacked nonsense with repeated hits. He can easily combo off his sweep, however it is always blockable, but extremely fast. They gave him the Superman, and he can do it in air as well. I don't know why but it's totally unnecessary. He is easily my favorite addition to the game, possibly the third most powerful new character under Noob and Rain. His chip damage alone is cruel, malicious, and terrible. His Spin does not push back in the corner, but is limited to one hit before it's disabled like MK3 Kung Lao's. His pop up combo leads to a semi infinite cross screen.

Then there's Chameleon. He's a filtering combination of all the male ninjas. He fades out and becomes another one and has all their moves but the hit limits apply to all forms. You can make some unique combos with some good timing. I would say he's pretty broke. He seems to eventually get stuck as Noob a lot, and will never change into anyone else.

ded

Elder God
Great stuff! I was writting MK3/UMK3/MKT differences article for MKSecrets but i never had the time to finish it. I'm at work right now and cant spare much time but here are some stuff i want to add.

1. The characters are smaller, thus effecting on aa juggles. For example Usub's Ice shower infintie does not working and Reptile's aaHPx2, F+HP inf requires a little different timing. There are of course other things here and there which i might got into details later.

2. Shang Tsung has a corner infinite if morph limit is used, which can help him sometimes. Also it should be noted that the loadings while he morphs affects on the gameplay.

3. Kano's psycho ball from about sweep distance will always whiff the opponent, unless the opponent starts running. If he jumps he will get hit.

4. Sektor's double missile has way shorter recovery time than Stryker's and Sindel's double fireballs, so its way more useful. Especially Stryker's double grenades have so much recovery time that you could punish him with almost every character from full screen distance.

5. Ermac's TKS have changed time limit due the speed of the game.

Also the PC (Final) version should be noted. Shang plays way better there. Also MKT is kinda mix between MK3 and UMK3 (r1.1) so you got the MK3 runjabs, with slight modification, not the UMK3 ones -> which leads into more broken pressures.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Thanks ded_. As for Shang, I mentioned he would be required to use Limited Morphs for tournament play, and for Sub I mentioned that his Ice Shower is affected by the game res.

How many patterns does the Crazy Cannonball have?

Are there any combos Ermac can't do in MKT that he can in UMK3? The speed for everything is increased so all moves with timing are changed, so this would apply to Human Smoke as well as Stryker's Riot Gun.

mhtdtr

Ancestors, give me strength!
great thread!! i agreed with ded_ the characters are smaller im i notice in kombos. for example the hk hp hp lp with striker in umk3 later can add b f hp but in trilogy the distance/timming is different. the same to any launcher j.k. i can imagine a lot of combos should have different timings right?

in trilogy i can do with mileena hp hp hk hk df lk j.k teleport kick in combo but in umk3 the teleport kick do not hit in combo. i asumed for the sprite size issue.

MKK hanzo

Awesome info Shock, really GREAT write up.

A few stuff:

Also, the recover time on his regular Tackle may be very slightly shorter than in UMK3, but I'm not 100% on this.

His recovery is exactly the same. Kabal for example can punish boh a blocked autocombo ending with the axe or a blocked shadow shoulder. IDK how many startup frames the dash has but it can punish it if you "red parry" the SS. (red parry: block and release on the same frame the move hits). Also in UMK3 this punish way exist. Kano upcannonball, Mileena Roll, NW same SS (hard but possible) can punish a blocked SS.

Oh, Scorp FWD Tlpt has A LOT of starting frames too, way more than the regular tlpt. Test it against someone doing glitch lp (lplplplplp but holding block).

What is altered is his startup frames. There is way less frames on it so it comes out faster.

Again, GREAT read.

MKK hanzo

Thanks ded_. As for Shang, I mentioned he would be required to use Limited Morphs for tournament play, and for Sub I mentioned that his Ice Shower is affected by the game res.

How many patterns does the Crazy Cannonball have?

Are there any combos Ermac can't do in MKT that he can in UMK3? The speed for everything is increased so all moves with timing are changed, so this would apply to Human Smoke as well as Stryker's Riot Gun.

Near corner, ermac in corner, against male ninjas:

hklp, whiff tlpt, aahp, arh, tlkslam, SUJK, glitch tlpt whiff. on arcade it connects always.

I dont remember well but in MKT n64 you could aaHK with the tip of the foot then tlkslam. Dont really remember if this could be done on MKT, my memory is very cloudy. It was almost 1framer on MKT n64...

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Near corner, ermac in corner, against male ninjas:

hklp, whiff tlpt, aahp, arh, tlkslam, SUJK, glitch tlpt whiff. on arcade it connects always.

I dont remember well but in MKT n64 you could aaHK with the tip of the foot then tlkslam. Dont really remember if this could be done on MKT, my memory is very cloudy. It was almost 1framer on MKT n64...
Yeah, I'm not going to bother with N64 MKT at all for now. I don't have that much experience with it and there are SO SO many differences. It's not worth it.

As far as Nightwolf's Tackle goes, there's absolutely a difference in either the recovery time, start up time, or collision, because it's very easy to get aaHPHP, Tackle, Tackle, midscreen off a blocked teleport punch, but in UMK3, it's impossible, or, it's so difficult that I haven't tried enough times to get it. The property might be similar to the fast start up Arrow once in a combo, or like Sindel's fireball and Sektor's Dumb Missile. They both come out faster after a grounded JK.

The only character so far whom I can do a double Tackle mid screen in UMK3 juggle on is Jax, and it barely hits. It's so easy in MKT and I don't think it's the gravity of the fall because I'm doing this in the Greatest Hits version. The main reason why I say there has to be a difference is because of how easy it is in MKT, and how I have never gotten it once in UMK3 on male ninjas.

Examples:

http://ultimatemk.com/tempmatt/nwdoubletackleumk3.wmv
http://ultimatemk.com/tempmatt/nwdoubletacklemkt.wmv

MKK hanzo

Yeah, I'm not going to bother with N64 MKT at all for now. I don't have that much experience with it and there are SO SO many differences. It's not worth it.

As far as Nightwolf's Tackle goes, there's absolutely a difference in either the recovery time, start up time, or collision, because it's very easy to get aaHPHP, Tackle, Tackle, midscreen off a blocked teleport punch, but in UMK3, it's impossible, or, it's so difficult that I haven't tried enough times to get it. The property might be similar to the fast start up Arrow once in a combo, or like Sindel's fireball and Sektor's Dumb Missile. They both come out faster after a grounded JK.

The only character so far whom I can do a double Tackle mid screen in UMK3 juggle on is Jax, and it barely hits. It's so easy in MKT and I don't think it's the gravity of the fall because I'm doing this in the Greatest Hits version. The main reason why I say there has to be a difference is because of how easy it is in MKT, and how I have never gotten it once in UMK3 on male ninjas.

Examples:

http://ultimatemk.com/tempmatt/nwdoubletackleumk3.wmv
http://ultimatemk.com/tempmatt/nwdoubletacklemkt.wmv
Hmmm try to use the frameskip feature on the emus, like Remz (I think it was him?) did to obtain the framedata of UMK3 to see the difference on the startup/recovery of the SS.

And yes, AA tackle x 2 can be done even on Shang on MKT Psx LOL!

dreemernj

Ambassador
It kind of looks like the tackle is moving as far and as fast in MKT as it does in UMK3. And that shouldn't happen since the characters are scaled down.

In Shock's clips you can see that in MKT the tackle almost gets underneath Scorpion as he falls. In UMK3 the collision looks more like its hitting scorp on the side. I'll have to fire up an emu and see how far they are going.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
It seems like the collision box for the tackle is further back on nw's sprite so it hits later when he is closer to recovering.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Need to test it in N64 to see if the same thing can be done as on PSX, and use the collision box code, then we can figure out the collision in UMK3 based on math on a non moving character.

Also, have you guys been trying to get the punisher in UMK3? Any success on male ninjas at all?

Being one of the few that has the Saturn version, it plays like the PSX second revision. Which means it's not as broke as PSX buggy port or N64 port (which is even more broken) but not as good as PSX Greatest Hits version or PC final version.

Viesor

Noob
Dont know if this was mentioned before but in MKT PSX H Smoke's 3 hit pop-up seems to reset the spear and maybe even the TP 's hit limit. And so allows for cheap and unfair/ez infinite's.

Tim Static

Adminerator
i forgot to post this but ded sent me this a couple weeks ago:

http://mksecrets.net/index.php?section=kolumn&lang=eng&contentID=4274

Kombat Kolumns: MK3 VS. Ultimate MK3 VS. MK Trilogy (Part 1) said:

People often consider Mortal Kombat 3, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and Mortal Kombat Trilogy as almost identical, but the thing is that they are different as hell. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is so different from Mortal Kombat 3, that it completely changes the way the game should be played. Mortal Kombat Trilogy has a few common things with Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - that's true, but it still feels like a different game. In this kolumn I will point out the similarities and the differences between the Arcade versions of Mortal Kombat 3 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and the PSX Greatest Hits and PC Windows (Final) versions of Mortal Kombat Trilogy. Now lets see what these three games can offer to the competitive and the casual player.

First, let us begin with the Mortal Kombat 3 VS. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 drama, and the basics. You will first notice that except the new logo and changed bios and endings (Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 Arcade shows only the bios of the new characters and uses the VS images of the characters for both, the endings and the bios) Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 has a few more characters: Jade, Mileena, Kitana, Reptile, Scorpion, Ermac and Classic Sub-Zero. By using a special kode you can play as Human Smoke too. Noob Saibot is now a male ninja, while in Mortal Kombat 3 he was a black palette-swapped Kano. There were a lot of rumors about Rain, but the truth is that he only appears in two scenes in the intro of the game, and was never a playable character in the arcade version of the game. Apparently, Noob Saibot was planned to be playable, because you can access him with a cheat and the game will not crash. However the team seems to not have added any button combination or a secret code to allow you to play as him. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 has also a few new arenas: Scorpion's Lair (which also has a Stage Fatality with extras), Jade's Desert, The Cavern, The Waterfront and The Lost. For some reason The Bank stage from Mortal Kombat 3 was removed. Another mystery for me was that they changed Sonya's Friendship, both are dumb, so I have no idea why they decided to change it.

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 introduces two new Game Modes: 2on2 Kombat and 8 Player Tournament. 2 on 2 allows you and your opponent to pick 2 characters and fight. The 8 Player Tournament allows each player to pick 4 characters and play through a 1 round battles tournament. The champion wins the prize which is one of Shao Kahn's Lost Treasures - another new feature for Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. Shao Kahn's Lost Treasures contain 12 boxes. The first one is the ending of the specific character, others contain battles against Noob Saibot or Endurances, Finishers demonstration, Galaga. etc... On the Choose Your Destiny Screen there are 4 towers, while in Mortal Kombat 3 they were 3. Endurance matches were also added at the towers, and there are also Endurance matches with 3 opponents on the Champion tower. Shao Kahn's exploding animation has been changed. It just shows him explode and then it transports you to the Scorpion's Lair background where it says that you have beaten the game. In Mortal Kombat 3 it shows Shao Kahn's Tower disappearing. Anyway, these are probably most of the things you will notice when you watch the game and compare it with Mortal Kombat 3. Now, lets start with the changes in the gameplay.

I will only take a short look at the CPU patterns, because i don't think that they are that important. You can beat everyone except bosses in Mortal Kombat 3 just using roundhouses and the CPU releases the block in a blocked combos after the third hit. Kinda boring don't you think. One of the main if not the main strategy in VS battles in both Mortal Kombat 3 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 are the runjabs. In Mortal Kombat 3 the run jabs are different than in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. They push the opponent closer after each jab is blocked allowing more faster and deadly run jab pressure, however this was fixed in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. Now, after blocked jab the opponent is pushed further, so it leads into more advanced mixups. Another thing is that in bi-level arenas after a popup combo your character will be transported into the upper level after the last popup hit in Mortal Kombat 3, while in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 you can just continue the juggle. SUJKs (Up + Kick) in Mortal Kombat 3 have slow recovery and you can't add it before a combo, neither before Jump Punch starters. Sometimes however with a perfect timing it could register the hit as a part of the combo but it will be blockable. Both Jump Kicks and Jump Punches can be linked into unblockable combos in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. The roundhouses (Back + HK) in Mortal Kombat 3 does not activate push-back and with some characters you could perform ridiculous juggles in the corner (Kabal, Jax, etc...), again this is fixed in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. Those are with few words the universal changes between the two games, now let's review each character and see what was changed there.

Shang Tsung can no longer perform infinite combos in corner, using Single and Double Fireballs. A time limit was put in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 to prevent this. He also morphs back after he wins a round while he stayed in the character he was morphed in Mortal Kombat 3. Sindel's Scream will not "shake" the opponent if blocked like it was in Mortal Kombat 3. Jax's Dash Punch has longer recovery time and the ridiculous Missile spam was fixed. He was Top 3 in Mortal Kombat 3 because of that. Kano was upgraded with Vertical Roll, a cool special move which helps him a lot for punishers, run jab pressure and blocked hits. Liu Kang's Bicycle Kick decreases the run meter now and he cant run free after it. They also gave him an absolutely useless popup combo in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, because it activates double damage protection and you will have really big troubles getting a decent damage using it. Sonya was given a popup combo - 3 actually. Cool! But what they did with the Leg Grab? If you combo more than 2 juggled hits before it, it does 5%. If you combo it in an auto combo with more than 2 connect hits before it, like HP, HP, U+LP, it does 3% damage, acknowledging the fact that any juggle hits after an auto combo are DPed and it has it's own special DP as well. Stryker is another character that got huge upgrade in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. His Baton Dash throw move has now bigger damage protection if used after a DP move (it delivers the full damage in Mortal Kombat 3 no matter if its DP or not) and they armed him with the Gun move, which is the key to his infinites. Robot Smoke had no hit limit in Mortal Kombat 3 for his Harpoon move but it was slower, you get faster Harpoon that is disabled after 4 hits in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

Sub-Zero was the God Tier in Mortal Kombat 3 just because of one simple move - Ice Clone. I believe it was one of the main things the team wanted to fix for Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and they succeeded. The fix was really simple - hit limit and you cant do it close to the opponent. Cyrax was one of the characters they shouldn't touch. His Throw now activates damage protection, does less damage and is counted as a hit - he was already a weak character in Mortal Kombat 3 without these changes. The reason behind this change remains a mystery. Sektor is the only character that wasn't changed. Absolutely nothing new for him. Nightwolf doesn't have much new things too, the only thing that they changed for him was the recovery for his Shoulder move - its faster in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. If his Arrow move is performed in a juggle, it will be way more faster. It is kind of topic but for me this is one of the best new things in the game. It should be noted that Sindel and Sektor have this "ability" too. Sheeva is the weakest character in both Mortal Kombat 3 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, one of her few advantages was her throw and I have no idea why the team decided to watered it down in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 by adding damage protection after it hits. Also when you throw someone in the corner and do the Teleport Stomp right after the Throw, the opponent is moved away in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 so the Teleport Stomp will miss. Kung Lao rise into Top 3 in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 just because of one move - his Spin. The hitting area for it was so bad in Mortal Kombat 3 that you could rarely hit someone with it, while in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 it could be used for punishers, blocked hits and is the key for his infinites. And finally Kabal - all of his auto combos do less damage now and the Ground Saw had a hit limit. He still is Top 1 here but I completely agree with the changes they made for him.

Jade, Kitana and Mileena are the three female ninjas that were added. All of them are fun to use but neither could be consider as broken or unbalanced character, they are mid-tiers not high. Despite limited juggle possibilities Jade could be a great zoner and wakeup spammer. It is a real crime what they did with Kitana and Mileena though, because of the damage protection which activates after Kitana's Fan Lift and Mileena's Roll. The male ninjas are back too: Scorpion, Reptile, Classic Sub-Zero, Ermac and Human Smoke (and Noob Saibot via cheat). Scorpion and Classic Sub-Zero being the weakest of them all are still fun to play. However there are few things that should be mentioned. Classic Sub-Zero's ground ice disappears much faster when it is used against cpu. Ermac and Human Smoke have a lot of missing finishers. Noob Saibot from other hand does not have any, and you cant perform finishing moves on him. Anyway, to skip the long and for some, probably boring explanation about the new characters and if you want to learn more about them and the gameplay in deep, definitely read our Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 Strategy Guide, where you can read a lot more detailed information about all characters and how to play with them.

So, as you can see, many changes were made to make Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 a better competitive fighting game. But if all these things are kept in Mortal Kombat Trilogy, why is Mortal Kombat Trilogy not a better game than Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3? Check the next Kombat Kolumn issue to find out...

Written by: ded_
Date: August 1st, 2010

Dark_Rob

Noob
Great article! Really well written and interesting. I dont know alot about MK3, its interesting to learn that Usub was god in that game.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
What about the differences between the N64 MKT version and the PSX MKT version? What makes the N64 version "bad", or "more broken".
A huge part of N64's issues are collision detection flaws and hacked frame rates/animations. Simple properties of moves are changed for no reason, for example the fast as lightning ducking HKs, and teleport punches with zero recovery time. You can literally combo teleport punches as well, and it seems that glitch canceling, and possibly relaunches have a bigger window, and launchers in general seem to have more float to them, and juggling in general is more vulnerable.

For teleport punches, it doesn't really matter what you do once you connect one, but being able to teleport constantly with no pause is a big deal. It also somehow retains an MKIIish property where you can't quick get up after certain moves like sweeps. In terms of specific characters, just about all the broken properties that exist in N64 are in PSX as well, some are better, some are worse. I freely admit that the strange properties in N64 might actually be more appealing to some players, but because it doesn't play as much like any arcade engine MK as PSX and PC MKT do, it's generally disqualified as being a contender.

There are tons of individual properties I could get into, but that's a brief example of what you can find in N64 MKT.

BeRB

Noob
A huge part of N64's issues are collision detection flaws and hacked frame rates/animations. Simple properties of moves are changed for no reason, for example the fast as lightning ducking HKs, and teleport punches with zero recovery time. You can literally combo teleport punches as well, and it seems that glitch canceling, and possibly relaunches have a bigger window, and launchers in general seem to have more float to them, and juggling in general is more vulnerable.

For teleport punches, it doesn't really matter what you do once you connect one, but being able to teleport constantly with no pause is a big deal. It also somehow retains an MKIIish property where you can't quick get up after certain moves like sweeps. In terms of specific characters, just about all the broken properties that exist in N64 are in PSX as well, some are better, some are worse. I freely admit that the strange properties in N64 might actually be more appealing to some players, but because it doesn't play as much like any arcade engine MK as PSX and PC MKT do, it's generally disqualified as being a contender.

There are tons of individual properties I could get into, but that's a brief example of what you can find in N64 MKT.
I think MKT on N64 would be much easier to carry around if it were played at venue's and matches wouldn't take forever to start that's probably the main reason i think people enjoy it more they can get in and get out, You could bring a PS1 or PS2 with MKT, I have both versions of MKT for N64 and PS1, I play my N64 more because, There's no load times and if you look at high level game play i don't see people doing these teleport combo's into juggles and that crazy nonsense, Not to say that people couldn't I just haven't seen it. Anyways because n64 would be easier to use overall in terms of taking it to venues and load times cause matches would start rather quickly

I think MKT on N64 would be much easier to carry around if it were played at venue's and matches wouldn't take forever to start that's probably the main reason i think people enjoy it more they can get in and get out, You could bring a PS1 or PS2 with MKT, I have both versions of MKT for N64 and PS1, I play my N64 more because, There's no load times and if you look at high level game play i don't see people doing these teleport combo's into juggles and that crazy nonsense, Not to say that people couldn't I just haven't seen it. Anyways because n64 would be easier to use overall in terms of taking it to venues and load times cause matches would start rather quickly
I would definitely play MKT regardless of what platform it was on. I might would even prefer the N64 version.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The point wasn't that you could juggle teleport hits in combos because that's actually worthless, it's the fact that you can teleport constantly with no delay. The minor pause you have between usages is a big deal and free teleporting makes the gameplay a lot different for those characters and any character who plays against them. Every now and then I play some N64 MKT emulated and it just feels like crap. Even though it's so much more open, it's more restrictive. Overall, it's just a way more broken version of MKT, to the point where the system is broken. At least in PSX MKT, 99% of the breakage is in the character specifics, while Aggressor is broken, at least you can turn it off. Some people prefer to play with it though, probably the same people who prefer to play N64 lol. I've never seen anyone play with Aggressor on for PSX though.

The engine for PSX is essentially UMK3 arcade sped up, and I reduce the speed when I mess around in it anyway. I would never enforce a speed rule for a tournament though, it would however make it hard for a lot of players. People already complain about speed differences between Arcade, MAME, and 360, and those differences are minuscule. The only thing I would enforce in a tournament for MKT is Aggressor Off. Aggressor is really like a rage meter and it ruins the gameplay. It builds instantly on longer blocked combos, and that's pretty broken. There would never be an N64 tournament held on an N64, it'd only ever be on emu, and even for PS2 it would be difficult for controller types and sticks since it's limited. The PC version is the best bet.

BeRB

Noob
The point wasn't that you could juggle teleport hits in combos because that's actually worthless, it's the fact that you can teleport constantly with no delay. The minor pause you have between usages is a big deal and free teleporting makes the gameplay a lot different for those characters and any character who plays against them. Every now and then I play some N64 MKT emulated and it just feels like crap. Even though it's so much more open, it's more restrictive. Overall, it's just a way more broken version of MKT, to the point where the system is broken. At least in PSX MKT, 99% of the breakage is in the character specifics, while Aggressor is broken, at least you can turn it off. Some people prefer to play with it though, probably the same people who prefer to play N64 lol. I've never seen anyone play with Aggressor on for PSX though.

The engine for PSX is essentially UMK3 arcade sped up, and I reduce the speed when I mess around in it anyway. I would never enforce a speed rule for a tournament though, it would however make it hard for a lot of players. People already complain about speed differences between Arcade, MAME, and 360, and those differences are minuscule. The only thing I would enforce in a tournament for MKT is Aggressor Off. Aggressor is really like a rage meter and it ruins the gameplay. It builds instantly on longer blocked combos, and that's pretty broken. There would never be an N64 tournament held on an N64, it'd only ever be on emu, and even for PS2 it would be difficult for controller types and sticks since it's limited. The PC version is the best bet.
PS1 Still has loading issues, Id hate to be at a venue or something waiting a couple mins for matches to start and end that would be a longass wait. I feel no difference in terms of speed for N64 and PS1, I have both the real cart and disk.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
There's a definite speed difference, and the loading time is not minutes. Regardless, PC IS the PSX version with no loading time.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
PC MKT > all MKT versions

N64 is fun if that is all you have, but there is so many things that are different in that game that it feels like a new game.