What's new

General/Other - Scorpion The Current Scorpion problems in general

Nereus

Noob
Please....you can't compare mk9 scorpion to mkx one.
But.. he had that in MK9. And he wasn't really that good in MK9. That's my point. It isn't just the meterless reset that makes this version really good.. and i doubt his meterless vortex is being nerfed. No reason to do so at all IMO

Levaranoia

War God
But.. he had that in MK9. And he wasn't really that good in MK9. That's my point. It isn't just the meterless reset that makes this version really good.. and i doubt his meterless vortex is being nerfed. No reason to do so at all IMO
It's the fact that he doesn't even need to use meter to get like 40 percent damage to then lead into another vortex that is disgusting. Also the fact that he can check you at full screen to full combo you into a vortex is dumb. If he was at least forced to use meter to get his shenanigans going then I could deal with that. It's just annoying that you open one of these guys up and they already got meter to break anyways.

G4S Silent Jay

I enjoy hurting you.
While people are blowing Scorpion WAY out of proportion for what's in this game. His only REAL flaws are needing meter to be safe (which is just balance, not a problem), and his Wake-ups suck... Which I'll take as a trade off for solid damage off his pressure and 50/50s. I don't think he should be nerfed at all because as time progresses, I feel if he gets buffed, he could easily end up broken. As he is, I'm just happy he is where he is and wanna leave it at that.

And how are you people seemingly saying you get away with J3 teleport? Play against people who don't suck offline. Because that has gonna be some lag abuse. Fuckin just jumping (get AA'd) into an unsafe as fuck teleport (god help you if they decided to just block since it's not like you had many options after that)....

G4S Silent Jay

I enjoy hurting you.
It's the fact that he doesn't even need to use meter to get like 40 percent damage to then lead into another vortex that is disgusting. Also the fact that he can check you at full screen to full combo you into a vortex is dumb. If he was at least forced to use meter to get his shenanigans going then I could deal with that. It's just annoying that you open one of these guys up and they already got meter to break anyways.
If you're getting blown up by full-screen Low Demon, that's your problem.... That's like not jumping Hellfire in INJ... Except this you can block...

current kung jin problems: no safe pressure :(
current d'vorah problems: walkspeed is bad :(
current cassie cage problems: b124 can be armored, no anti air :(
current quan chi problems: still cant wake up wtf :(

Levaranoia

War God
If you're getting blown up by full-screen Low Demon, that's your problem.... That's like not jumping Hellfire in INJ... Except this you can block...
It's not the fact that I'm getting blown up by full screen low demon's its the fact that he has it in general and can threaten with it. There's really no reason that it shouldn't cost meter for him to have it hold you in place. Grundy's did, no reason scorpion's shouldn't. Especially when scorpion can threaten with a whole bunch of other things. Grandmaster subzero got nerfed, I guarantee you there is gonna be some changes to scorpion cuz he's braindead easy with vortex.

G4S Silent Jay

I enjoy hurting you.
It's not the fact that I'm getting blown up by full screen low demon's its the fact that he has it in general and can threaten with it. There's really no reason that it shouldn't cost meter for him to have it hold you in place. Grundy's did, no reason scorpion's shouldn't. Especially when scorpion can threaten with a whole bunch of other things. Grandmaster subzero got nerfed, I guarantee you there is gonna be some changes to scorpion cuz he's braindead easy with vortex.
It's only a threat if you're actually threatened by it. It only tracks well if you burn a bar, so running is an option when it's a 26f start-up... You can actually react to that. And the vortex is unsafe as fuck without a bar, so he take a big risk going for it. And is still -5 when it's safe.... So, there's a legit risk-reward to him. Which is far from braindead... Sorry you have to guess 50/50 in a game loaded with guessing 50/50....

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
No offense but if you are playing War God...he is also brain dead easy with 50/50's that you can't even fuzzy block. I practiced in lag against an opponent and managed to block every single low and overhead demon projectile from scorpion. It's not difficult at all. Tone down the salt levels man. He can threaten with it? So what? It's a 28 frame start up projectile that's super negative.

Levaranoia

War God
No offense but if you are playing War God...he is also brain dead easy with 50/50's that you can't even fuzzy block. I practiced in lag against an opponent and managed to block every single low and overhead demon projectile from scorpion. It's not difficult at all. Tone down the salt levels man. He can threaten with it? So what? It's a 28 frame start up projectile that's super negative.
Can't block 50/50 from "brain dead" kotal kahn but can definitely block all of scorpions stuff...in lag no less. Now I know you are full of shit kid. You scorpion mains are so full of it. I don't see any threads about kotal kahn needing to be hit with the nerf stick. But I've definitely seen them for Scorpion, Kung Jin, Erron Black, Sub-Zero....If you think he's gonna get away unscathed then you're fooling yourself.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I 100% agree with all this. Scorpion is a stupid character. I would be happy if I never had to fight him.
current kung jin problems: no safe pressure :(
current d'vorah problems: walkspeed is bad :(
current cassie cage problems: b124 can be armored, no anti air :(
current quan chi problems: still cant wake up wtf :(
Lots of bills in these posts

Scorpion can't jump around like an idiot and in fact you shouldn't be jumping with him, please stop trying to take the game airbone, this is where his normals works better, you need to approach from the ground and stuff his normals, haven't i told in the OP, you can low profile anything he does aside from B1, D1 and D3 and D4, you're in he will lose due not having an armored launcher, a special that has armor is unsafe on block, negative on hit.

Pretty Bad wakeup game, best wakeup requires meter and full stamina for a guaranteed escape.

And Scorpion don't do 40% meterless without hitting you F4 which is hella reactable or FJ2 into F4 which is hard to connect without landing a spear first, which just in case, if you land a spear first then he can't do 40% meterless anymore, honestly if Scorpion wants to get to 40% he has to spend one bar in any variation, his only most damaging combo has to start with 214, if you're getting hit with this, definitely you guys did a punishable move that string can punish, or you tried to take the fight to the air which is not advisable. There is a lot of impratical combos on the scorpion thread i barelly use 10% of those combos.

Vortex? what vortex? You're being hit always block low, you see a overhead react to it, there is a lot of gap between any of his strings when canceled into demons.

Cassie has AA, a 6f with long active frames moves that build meter is her most reliable anti-air, besides that, STOP TRYING TO JAB CHARACTERS OUT OF THE AR lol:D That is not how AA in MKX works due the float system and the really short active frames normals have in this game, just sthap

im just kidding eddy don't get it wrong. its just that when a character is already good at something i think it's wrong to ask to buff him so he has no weaknesses at all

BloodyNights

Can't block 50/50 from "brain dead" kotal kahn but can definitely block all of scorpions stuff...in lag no less. Now I know you are full of shit kid. You scorpion mains are so full of it. I don't see any threads about kotal kahn needing to be hit with the nerf stick. But I've definitely seen them for Scorpion, Kung Jin, Erron Black, Sub-Zero....If you think he's gonna get away unscathed then you're fooling yourself.
Well kid, not only can I block Scorpion, I can block Kung Jin, and Erron Black as well. Only one I have trouble with is Sub-Zero to be honest. Oh and Sonya. Scorpion's main overhead is 25 frame start up, both his overhead and low demon have 29 and 28 frame start up, so I can block both easily especially with how distinct the overhead actually is. Oh and just for you...Just thought I'd show you how negative them op demon hands are. Scorpion isn't even a fast punisher either that combo starter is 10 frame start up. Oh and I had to use meter to break 40% by the way.

BloodyNights

Ninjutsu isin't good
I think people want to address characters who are not good, and don't have a single variation that is good. At least that is my take. Well before tackling characters who have good variations, even if not all are good.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I think people want to address characters who are not good, and don't have a single variation that is good. At least that is my take. Well before tackling characters who have good variations, even if not all are good.
In this thread, i've been mostly talking about ninjutsu, everyone came here to justify themselves with hellfire and inferno.

The only observation i did outside of Ninjutsu is just that B2 universally being crap, and scorpion having one mid with t-rex range and is a 10f starter.

BloodyNights

In this thread, i've been mostly talking about ninjutsu, everyone came here to justify themselves with hellfire and inferno.

The only observation i did outside of Ninjutsu is just that B2 universally being crap, and scorpion having one mid with t-rex range and is a 10f starter.
Correction B1 is a 11 frame mid. lol but to be honest I did some testing with B12, it will blow up cross up punches free. So there is that, it's also good at whiff punishing air normals before the opponent hits the ground. I know people are justifying it with Hellfire and Inferno, but I'd prefer it greatly if characters that sucked like Kitana for instance could be made viable in just one variation. I'm not sure I understand variation loyalty to be honest. I understand character loyalty though. I'm also not saying for Ninjitsu to never be addressed. But later! somewhere down the line. I really think that variation is match up dependent as well.

Wigy

There it is...
He has them believe me, the more of the meta starts to be discovered the more problems he will have, also lol at the jump one, no one in this game is punishing anti-airs correctly, either you force them to whiff and punish on the land or u use a armored anti-air which there is plenty, jab characters out of the air will not be the same against everybody due the float system.

So you guys really think B2 is fine? B2 is crap, and if he can't use them might as well remove it from the command list. I didn't ask for much i just asked for a mid.
Having a mid is a big deal. Remember mk9 kunglao

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
As someone who plays against Scorpion, rather than as him, I'd say his weakness is lack of range.
His D4 is ok, but nothing special. Other than that, he's left with pretty much nothing.
His d4 is pretty special. Faster or as fast as a lot of the casts d1, low profile, great range. It's not the absolute best range but it's still really good. Top tier d4 imo.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
yeah but some characters dont have a single good variation, so they are the ones that need help right now
As stated on the first page of this topic, i didn't said lets prioritize scorpion, i just pointed what i believe to be his issues.

Correction B1 is a 11 frame mid. lol but to be honest I did some testing with B12, it will blow up cross up punches free. So there is that, it's also good at whiff punishing air normals before the opponent hits the ground. I know people are justifying it with Hellfire and Inferno, but I'd prefer it greatly if characters that sucked like Kitana for instance could be made viable in just one variation. I'm not sure I understand variation loyalty to be honest. I understand character loyalty though. I'm also not saying for Ninjitsu to never be addressed. But later! somewhere down the line. I really think that variation is match up dependent as well.
The problem is not getting characters out of the air, i'm having no problems dealing with jump ins in this game, the problem is hitting low profile moves, he can't do that.

BloodyNights

As stated on the first page of this topic, i didn't said lets prioritize scorpion, i just pointed what i believe to be his issues.

The problem is not getting characters out of the air, i'm having no problems dealing with jump ins in this game, the problem is hitting low profile moves, he can't do that.
What low profile moves are you having trouble with? Scorpion's D3, D4, and F2 are so good that almost no one attempts to low profile him at all at least from my experience in over 1000's of games. The few who did quickly stopped after I peppered them with B121 a couple of times.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
But thats a mindgame that makes the whole block string pretty average. Now I have to attempt to use EX spear on a read that you stopped blocking? Regardless of the risk what if they block the whole string then stop blocking making the spear whiff? I wasted a meter and i got full combo punished. Even if they block the whole thing and the spear i wasted a meter and im at negative frames.
I edited this response since I posted it earlier this morning.

EX spear does not whiff if the other player lets go of block after 214. If you let go the EX spear will actually hit. Have you actually had it done to you in a match? I assumed you were correct because EX spear whiffs normally on neutral crouch but it doesn't after 214.

And there are plenty of characters that have 50/50s that lead to full combos reliably..
I don't understand what this has to do with what I was saying. Other characters all types of shit, we're talking about Scorpion

And why am i doing a negative string with scorpion and not fireball canceling? You suggesting me to use a retreating teleport and lose all my stamina is a situation that i really shouldn't ever be doing. If its a string I can't make safe by run canceling the fireball i can make it safe by back dashing out of a fireball canceling and only losing 1 bar of stamina instead of both.
It's hard to find a reason to retreat teleport in hellfire outside of wakeup but his other 2 variations don't have fireball cancels. You completely ignored that part of my post.

The point here is scorpion most definitely has his flaws, and people are selling him as a top tier character way too hard. He's good, but he's out classed by several characters once you realize the holes he has.
At this point in the games life he is a very strong character. I agree he's being knocked down a bit by some of the shit being found in the game.

Last edited: