What's new

The buck stops here NRS community

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Seconding that. The way people have been using the term "trip guard" is bugging the shit out of me. That goes back to ST, which didn't have it and as such, made life hell for characters who needed to get in because sweeps (i.e., moves that "trip" the other character) could anti-air. Trip guard originally referred to a special blocking situation introduced in later SF games where sweeps no longer could anti-air.

Tom Brady

Hold up, I'm confused. I thought the term "Trip Guard" referred to the ability to block on the very frame that you land from executing a jump-in?

True... In my day "Trip Guard" meant you can block on the first landing frame. However, ppl use this term in IGAU to describe not being able to block as you land. No idea why or how it even got started.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Bro....what can green hippo even do against pink hippo? That shit is lopsided. Green hippo has NO footsies. Pink hippo is fucking mash friendly. Its a joke.
#NerfPinkHippo
this is funny because it can ironically sound as a scrubs opinion on GL and sinestro

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
What I'm saying is that after MK9, people have this idea on how AA should work in NRS games and IGAU doesn't offer the MK9 jab out of the air system. Dealing with jumping isn't bad because of it, its just different.

Different does not = scrubby. Example...

If you play SF, especially old SF where there is no auto correct, AAing in MK9 could be seen as scrubby. Why? Fast jabs being able to AA easily on reaction to any jump, and even faster down jabs that AA every cross up on reaction. I mean, coming from SF, being able to AA EVERY CROSS UP with a 6 frame crouching jab on reaction to the cross over could easily be seen as "brain dead AA bro"... But its not scrubby or brain dead, its just a DIFFERENT way.

In IGAU, punishing opponents for jumping is very possible, just done differently. In MK9, Air to Airs were not something consistent because everyone had the same generic air normals and there were no trades, meaning that one attack wont "beat" the other and P1 adv allows P1 to win every single situation where a trade should have happened. In IGAU, everyone has completely different jumping normals, which actually allow you to "beat" a players jump attacks and Air to Air opponents consistently. You also can uppercut (character and range dependent) and get a full combo. You also have trip guard which wasn't in MK9. Trip Guard allows you to space out the jump in and full combo punish as they land.

What does this mean?

1. In MK9, there was HEAVY damage scaling on Air to Airs, in IGAU there is NO scaling on Air to Airs. Air to Airs were in many ways "random" in MK9 because everyone had the same generic air normals. In IGAU, air normals have different speeds, ranges, hurt boxes, etc which allow you to consistently Air to Air. There are also trades in IGAU, so now one player won't always win in a situation where both air attacks hit at the same time.

2. In MK9, uppercut combos were completely situation and almost never seen as an AA that leads to a combo. In IGAU, every uppercut allows a juggle combo but not everyone can uppercut in every situation. Most of the time its based on your character + the attack used + the range the attack is being done from. There is an uppercut formula for knowing what attacks you can and cannot AA.

3. MK9 offers no real trip guard. In IGAU, the opponent cannot block for a few frames after landing. This allows you to bait the jump in attempt, space it out, and punish with a full combo.

Besides what I listed, there are also character specific normal and special attacks that can AA. All i see is a different system which means you have to use what the system gives you to AA. Learn it and use it..
trip guard did exist in MK9, it was between 2 and 7 frames judging from the results i had back when i played it often.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Not like it does now. Now, you are easily FUCKED.
True, just saying that it actually was in MK9. I remember countless scorpion B2 anti airs.

IIRC that was also a move that gave extra damage if you hit it while they're airborne, shame that the idea was abandoned.

True... In my day "Trip Guard" meant you can block on the first landing frame. However, ppl use this term in IGAU to describe not being able to block as you land. No idea why or how it even got started.
That's interesting but I know it didn't start in Injustice because guys like Arturo and Ultradavid have used the term in AE and SFxT as well.

It's like how people use "fuzzy guard" to describe instant overheads in AE but in other games it means quickly blocking stand to crouch or crouch to stand. Like if something can be fuzzy guarded in Injustice it basically means it's not a really scary mixup because the low option always comes before the overhead option or vice versa.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
There are counters to pretty much everything in this game. I don't understand people crying about "brain dead" shit. Do you know how long characters like cyrax, cage, and kung lao were called brain dead before people actually figured out how to fight them? A long time.

There are footsies in this game. There are counters to interactables. Learn how to play.

I just played the worst character in the game until Tuesday. Trust me when I say there's still a lot to learn.

TYM is shitty because we have a lot of good players getting frustrated that they aren't insta winning everything. Learn something and deal with it.