What's new

Strategy The Boy Wonder! -- Nightwing General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
In the next patch, if there is one, I really hope they make Nightwing's d1 in escrima a low. This would help his game immensely!!!

Honestly, this may be a bit too much. Escrima is very strong for left/right mixups. Staff is amazing for the high/low stuff.

Although given that Zod will basically destroy all concepts of balance in this game. Fuck it. Give me all the buffs.

In all actuality, if MB staff spin would hit all opponents the same, I'd be very happy with that in itself.

mush210

Noob
Honestly, this may be a bit too much. Escrima is very strong for left/right mixups. Staff is amazing for the high/low stuff.

Although given that Zod will basically destroy all concepts of balance in this game. Fuck it. Give me all the buffs.

In all actuality, if MB staff spin would hit all opponents the same, I'd be very happy with that in itself.
Agreed. That should be fixed too. Not sure why NRS hasn't addressed MB staff spin not hitting everyone yet. I can't imagine that was intentional.

Escrima d1 as a low and fixing the fact that certain people can duck MB staff spin are all NW needs. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

NightwingDayZero

Agreed. That should be fixed too. Not sure why NRS hasn't addressed MB staff spin not hitting everyone yet. I can't imagine that was intentional.

Escrima d1 as a low and fixing the fact that certain people can duck MB staff spin are all NW needs. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

I've tweeted Paulo about it, got no response. Maybe we should make more noise as a Nightwing community? MB staff spin has lost me more than a few matches against KF.

mush210

Noob
I'd suggest using frame traps

this is a great video:
)

Use 113 to punish strings/moves with poor recovery. Also, don't be afraid to use b2, especially if you've got a plan to keep the pressure on when it gets blocked (mb b3, 113, flip kick, etc). F213 and b13/b112 have good reach and are worth putting out there every so often.

I don't personally use d12 too much because it opens me up to overheads and since it hits mid, the payoff isn't that geat (d12-4-mb ground spark- b3 - j3- 1- flying grayson is my go to combo from this string and does 35%). I use 113 most of the time in it's place; it's faster and prevents overhead mixups.

I don't believe you can throw while your opponent's in block stun. However, dashing in and throwing after a string, especially ones with quick recovery, is an excellent strategy.

I'd suggest using frame traps

this is a great video:
)

Use 113 to punish strings/moves with poor recovery. Also, don't be afraid to use b2, especially if you've got a plan to keep the pressure on when it gets blocked (mb b3, 113, flip kick, etc). F213 and b13/b112 have good reach and are worth putting out there every so often.

I don't personally use d12 too much because it opens me up to overheads and since it hits mid, the payoff isn't that geat (d12-4-mb ground spark- b3 - j3- 1- flying grayson is my go to combo from this string and does 35%). I use 113 most of the time in it's place; it's faster and prevents overhead mixups.

I don't believe you can throw while your opponent's in block stun. However, dashing in and throwing after a string, especially ones with quick recovery, is an excellent strategy.
thanks for the detailed response friend. I'll definitely get some use out of this

DukeofFortuneMan

Some guy with a PS3
So, has the Nightwing staff d1 nerf hit yet? Because I was busy for a while, and now the movelist in this game says staff d1 is +5 on block. That can't be right, and I know the data on the movelist is wonky to begin with, but I recall it being plus 1, which was broken enough already.

Anyone care to explain this to me? I'm kinda confused to the extreme.

AssassiN

Noob
So, has the Nightwing staff d1 nerf hit yet? Because I was busy for a while, and now the movelist in this game says staff d1 is +5 on block. That can't be right, and I know the data on the movelist is wonky to begin with, but I recall it being plus 1, which was broken enough already.

Anyone care to explain this to me? I'm kinda confused to the extreme.

It's +3 at the moment, the patchnotes say it's gonna be +3 down from +5.
So we don't know how much it's gonna be after the patch. And +1 is broken? So much for backdashing or beating you to the death with 0.02% chip....

DukeofFortuneMan

Some guy with a PS3
Having, in my opinion, the best jab, is pretty good. Especially since st.1 can also punish backdashes at the right spacing, when you scout them out. Also, so glad my favorite normal isn't going below 0 frame advantage.

NightwingDayZero

Why the nerf? It's the only abusable tool we have. Even then we have to fucking work.

Incoming salt I'm sessioning with a Hawkgirl and GL today. Fucking miserable.

DukeofFortuneMan

Some guy with a PS3
I hate the Hawkgirl matchup with a passion. When she's close it's always on her terms, no staff abuse the way I like.

It's not that I wanted a nerf, but I was fearing one. I'm just surprised/relieved, is all.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
D1 being +3 will not hurt Nightwing.

If D2's actually AA, It's a buff day for Nightwing. Lets just wait and see what happens after tomorrow before we panic. The Nightwing community has been very professional and awesome handling this very minor "normalization" You can still d1 d1 d1.

Saitsu

Noob
Yeah, come on people, that nerf was nothing. At worst, just have to be careful when going for special cancels that aren't Staff Spin off of d1.

AssassiN

Noob
Just tested out the new patch, D1 is +1 on block. The frame data still saids that it's +5 on block but that's not true.
Also D1~Staff Spin can be beat out with a 6 frame move, but they have to do it to the frame. If they try to counter it with a 6 frame move you can just do another D1.

Tested out both of his D2's and they have been improved, I tested it out against Batman's J2.
In the old version none of his D2's would AA him and would get beat out consistently.
In the new version Escrima D2 trades if you AA him at the highest point, other than that J2 still beats it out.
In Staff his D2 always wins.

Also noticed that Escrima D2 has a better hitbox at the back, in the old version it will only hit when the opponent was in front of the stick. Now it hits behind the stick as well.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I can confirm that Nightwings D1 is now +3.

Go into practice with two nightwings. Record nightwing doing d1 and then d2 (8f). (turbo button helps on TE sticks for the d2)

If Staff d1 was +1 Escrima 6f standing 1 would come out and whiff.

If Staff d1 was +2 Escrima 6f Standing 1 would come out and whiff/trade

If Staff d1 was +3 Escrima 6f standing 1 will not come out at all and you will get hit.

The final variation is the one that occurs.

The thing that sucks tho is that nightwing can no longer buffer staff spin safely on to his d1. It can be interupted with a poke everytime.

AssassiN

Noob
It is +3 just did another test with supermans f2.

recorded nightwing mashing d1 d1 d1 d1 d1 d1. Blocked the d1 stand and tried to f2. Cannot get it out. If it was +2 it would trade.

You're thinking the other way around. If NW is +3 on block, the following D1 would be 3 frames while Superman is trying to beat it out with an 8-frame move.

I've been trying out things with different characters to see if I wasn't wrong. So far I'm thinking +1 or +2, could be +3 but I'm really doubtful about that. If I put Lex Luthor's Corpse Charge as Reversal I cannot beat it out with D2, it only trades and Lex wins most of the times.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
You're thinking the other way around. If NW is +3 on block, the following D1 would be 3 frames while Superman is trying to beat it out with an 8-frame move.

I've been trying out things with different characters to see if I wasn't wrong. So far I'm thinking +1 or +2, could be +3 but I'm really doubtful about that. If I put Lex Luthor's Corpse Charge as Reversal I cannot beat it out with D2, it only trades and Lex wins most of the times.

You are right on that Superman one...sorry for the massive brain fart. Been labbing this all afternoon. I figured out what was going on with the corpse charge, that was my first method of testing. The corpse charge would beat the d2 or trade. I couldn't ever beat the corpse charge...

However, I believe I found the explanation for that. nightwings D2 actually becomes active behind his head (that would be the 8f spot) it actually takes around 9 or 10 frames for it to reach the opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.