What's new

Strategy The Boy Wonder! -- Nightwing General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightRaven

"Nightwing or NightestWing?"
Does Nightwing have any reliable anti-airs with eskrima? I've been trying ALOT of different attack but nothing is consistent. It just sucks when your opponent can jump in on you for free.

AK Gookus

Slant-eyed Nightwing
I'm trying to adapt towards reacting to their jump and dashing backwards into a ground spark/charge it and dash cancel forward to pressure them with 113/f213. Might be online only though. :/

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
Does Nightwing have any reliable anti-airs with eskrima? I've been trying ALOT of different attack but nothing is consistent. It just sucks when your opponent can jump in on you for free.
neutral ji3 will beat most of the cast, the only exceptions I'm aware of are Ares and Green Arrow.

haketh

Noob
If any of you watched the VOD Phantom17 linked let me know if anything I said was incorrect, wanna work on that for commentarry.

AK Gookus

Slant-eyed Nightwing
I've had success with iAWD pushing my opponents back if any of em hit, and if they do block, I land rather quickly...am I supposed to be getting punished? Its making my opponents squirm and I'll check them with b2. Anyway to see if we're + after blocked close WD?

KombatNerd

Justice 4 Firestorm
Delaying a db1 after a jump in can get you WD or Scatter Bombs and will hit(WD) or whiff with you facing the direction you crossed up ( also w/ WD) . Scatter Bombs hit if you crossed up w/ J2. I'm certain this is most likely day 1 stuff that I just got around to playing around with.

lawl

But Scatter Bombs are pretty useless/very situational unless I guess you use them to end blockstrings and bait and whiff punish with b2. You could probably knock your opponent out of recover if their crossup attk doesn't hit, but w/o meter burn you can't follow it up.

Just noticed the moveslist mentions it being a low. lol

I gotta ask. Why? It seems super situational if not useless to me.
Great for blowing up the start up on moves and armor and you recover fast enough (in most cases) to be able to block or counter attack/poke.

I've had success with iAWD pushing my opponents back if any of em hit, and if they do block, I land rather quickly...am I supposed to be getting punished? Its making my opponents squirm and I'll check them with b2. Anyway to see if we're + after blocked close WD?
A lot of things can punish it, but if you want to risk it to see if your opponent does, it's there. Though, there are way safer options.

KombatNerd

Justice 4 Firestorm
Had no idea you could combo into Scatter Bombs after Kali Fury MB in the corner. AI raped me using that.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
In the corner in staff, 1f1 MB db2 j2 1 1 1 1 d3, grants a hard knockdown, which can be followed up with a meaty 2 into 1 1 1 1f1 staff spin for muchos damage.

Saitsu

Noob
Alright, in other news, tech talk.

After getting back in the swing of things I realized...I did not use MB Staff Spin NEARLY enough. Shit just wrecks people and while MB Ground Blast is also way + and provides combos, MB Staff Spin provides full screen space to work if necessary. Not to mention the shit we know it does in the corner.

So here's a question, what to do when it's blocked midscreen? It pushes the opponent at an odd distance. You can follow with a Stand 2 or Ground Blast for a High/Low but without the meter the low option isn't very dangerous.

After getting back in the swing of things I realized...I did not use MB Staff Spin NEARLY enough.
haha i was JUST about to talk about this. from what ive seen so far none of you fools have been using this enough!

I WHORE this move. besides MB ground pound this is about all I use meter for . does great chip, forces a mix up ( i use sweep instead of db2 for my low) i will also use flying grayson if i think they will backdash or jump. or b3 for more frame advantage and to be a lil closer.

See in my mind here is why MB staffspin is his best special, first off, on hit does decent dmg and pushes to the corner , right where dick wants them, on block they eat about 8% in chip and we are +18 (aka mix up time) , now people may go "OH , ill just push block that" well theres a fundamental problem with that, staffspin MB builds .4 bars on block, you push block the last hit I am winning the meter war. (example would be if me and my opponent had 2 bars and he push blocks 2 staffspin MB , he has taken at least 10% chip and i now have a bar of meter built up where you now have none......)

so at this point people want to go "well ill just push block early so you dont chip and get meter" but thats whats so damn good about staffspin MB . if you push block early, because the MB point is later in the animation, i dont spend any meter at ALL. you basically put yourself in a meter deficit out of fear for being in a meter deficit....

staffspin is a LOSE/LOSE situation for the opponent. Now i expect to see all of you in the lab and getting into the habit of ending strings on block into staffspin =P

AssassiN

Noob
I thought everyone started using that after the vid partyeagle posted, I've been using it for a while.
Forced people to use pushblock even though they normally don't.

I'm still kind of figuring out how to use it midscreen, sometimes I like to follow it up with a B3.

haha unfortunately not too many people have seen my video AssassiN , im not hollywood enough for a post on eventhubs or the TYM front page like SOME people *cough cough * DoctrineDark ;p *cough*

but anywho, speaking of strategy, ive been watching these Grand Finals of tom brady vs Reo and i was wondering. does aquamans trait really effect our combos? I personally see us using staff alot more in this match up since we can punish trident and his low scoop at almost any range with b1 .

AssassiN

Noob
haha unfortunately not too many people have seen my video AssassiN , im not hollywood enough for a post on eventhubs or the TYM front page like SOME people *cough cough * DoctrineDark ;p *cough*

but anywho, speaking of strategy, ive been watching these Grand Finals of tom brady vs Reo and i was wondering. does aquamans trait really effect our combos? I personally see us using staff alot more in this match up since we can punish trident and his low scoop at almost any range with b1 .
There is absolutely no reason for Nightwing to be in Escrima stance, the only issue in this MU is changing to staff without getting punished and actually being able to change to Staff. And yeah, his trait affects Escrima Fury from what I've experienced. Dunno in Staff stance though.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Staff is the answer for Aquaman. Nightwing MAKES aquaman move. He can't just sit back and throw tridents or up tridents.

He MUST come to you and when he does, Nightwing gets full combo punishes off lowscoop, and his overheads. As soon as Nightwing lands a D1 in staff, Aqua has to either push block or respect nightwings pressure.

Aquaman loses that matchup tbh. Rip Crowley and I go fairly even at the moment, but I can't for the life of me scout the overhead yet lol Once I can, that matchup changes very quickly. Aquamans D1 and the reach of it gives Escrima dick a hard time.

Saitsu

Noob
I thought everyone started using that after the vid partyeagle posted, I've been using it for a while.
Forced people to use pushblock even though they normally don't.

I'm still kind of figuring out how to use it midscreen, sometimes I like to follow it up with a B3.
I hadn't used it because I hadn't played that much since then. Yesterday was the first time I really got to start grinding again.

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
Now i expect to see all of you in the lab and getting into the habit of ending strings on block into staffspin =P
partyeagle Watch my gameplay in the Video section? I played under the name Phantom17 at my local monthly. I could really use a lot more input. I try to use staff spin a lot, probably more than I should.

Saitsu The way I follow up MB Staff Spin mid screen is B3. It has 14 frames of activation, grants what? +8-10? I try to practice DB3 MB B3 ji2 1f1 db2 MB B3 etc etc

KombatNerd

Justice 4 Firestorm
Playing around with overhead interacts (one tested 1 so far-on the Metropolis Street level)

But doing a combo into Escrima fury, jump in~Interact the opponent will be knocked down and will be forced take the interact damage even if they tech roll out (It doesn't knock them out of the animation).

Your opponent has to be slightly under the car for him to be knocked into the range where the interact debris will hit. You can start the combo a further distance away if you jump in with 3 after the Escrima Fury.

I'll mess with the other ones tomorrow...

Edit: Combo: example j2, f213, j3~Interact does a total of 43% combined damage. 28% for the combo and 15% for the Interact. (Possibly 44%, can't really distinguish an 8 or a 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.