What's new

The Altaire Reset

Altaire

Noob
I heard it was really cool to name your tech after yourself.

(No, I'm not actually going to fucking call it that, and I won't give it a name unless something clever crosses my mind)

Well, I said I'd post it tonight if I didn't get my guide done, and well, I didn't. I'm still working on it and I feel I'm pretty close to completion, but I don't know if I'll be done "tonight" or, y'know, at 3 AM. Hell, it may take even longer than that; I'm basically just editing/proofreading/revising at this point, and it's really hard to put a timeline on that process. The problem is that if I don't get it done tonight, it's going to be thursday at THE EARLIEST, because I'm all booked up from monday all the way to wednesday. Even then, I work thursday morning, and uh, VSM is thursday night. Even if I do stay up til 4 AM in the morning just to release it then, I promised the reset tonight if the guide wasn't completed, and since I can't guarantee that it will be, I'm just going to post it. It wouldn't be fair to the board if I didn't.

Without any further ado, here's the reset I've been teasing about since the middle of November, and the crowning jewel of my guide:

2 1 freeze, JIP 2 1 1+2, dash U4 mid bomb // 3 4, B 2 2 slide -- 65%

The reset itself can be done from any combo ending in U4 bomb, such as NJP U4 bomb from an air freeze or anti-air NJP. It can even be done from his bomb trap, which raises the total damage to a whopping 81% meterless on a successful reset. It has many applications, which I'll cover in greater detail a little later.

This setup is a godsend, and it has an adverse effect on many of his matchups. Mechanically, it works much like Maxter's corner reset with Noob: It becomes a guessing game between whether or not your opponent will use a wakeup attack. Basically, after the U4 mid bomb, dash twice (ideally, buffer the dash from the mid bomb, and buffer a second dash from the first). Immediately follow with 3 4, and hit confirm into B2 2 slide. Your opponent cannot jump out, so if they try to, the 3 will hit them, and the bomb will go off just before the second hit of 3 4 connects and launches/bounces them. If they block the string, the bomb will still go off just before the second hit connects. The bomb will launch them into it, and it'll relaunch them for a combo in the exact same way. You can then follow with B2 2 slide, or B2 2 mid bomb. If the 3 4 hits, you get a 31% combo for the reset itself. If they block it, the 3 does 2% chip damage, and the combo after the bomb launches them does 28%, for a total of 30%. Regardless of how they try to get out, you're getting the same relative damage total without spending one lick of meter (see also: A lot).

As I explained earlier, you can beat this with wakeup attacks. The solution is to just block the wakeup, then juggle them off the bomb's explosion. The only wakeups that can beat this consistently are certain teleports (most of which which you can still punish on reaction), and specials with pushback on block. Nightwolf's shoulder and Jax's dash punch can push you off your spot, for instance, and avoid the bomb. However, many such wakeup options are unsafe, so your opponent is at an even greater risk if they try to beat this setup.

Against certain characters, this is damn near unfair. Ermac, for instance, can't do anything: If he does a wakeup telepunch, it will almost certainly be stuffed. If he does a wakeup lift, the bomb will interrupt him before he can combo off it, and if he does a wakeup push, the bomb interrupts the second hit (meaning the push won't actually fling you across the screen).

Unfortunately, against many wakeup attacks, all you can do to combo reliably is slide after the bomb launches them; B2 2 just won't reach in time. If you're quick, you can usually dash 1 1 2 slide/ mid bomb, but the timing is tight and it's largely character-specific. mid bomb into slide only yields 16% damage, but after a combo for as much as 37% damage, that's still not a bad bonus. Of course, if you're counting on your opponent to do a wakeup attack, you can also opt to do J360's crossup jump punch U4 bomb loop; shoutouts to J360, who had no idea his reset was going to factor into mine so nicely. This is character-specific as well, but again, it's an option in certain matchups.

There is, however, ONE STIPULATION: If your opponent rolls, you need to time the dashes MUCH more tightly. It's still possible to do it consistently, but it'll take much more practice. The key is to do the U4 bomb in the previous combo as LATE as possible, which creates less distance between yourself and your opponent after the knockdown. From there, it's just a matter of buffering a dash from the mid bomb into another buffered dash, which is pretty easy once you get a feel for the rhythm of it. The upside to this, however, is a big one: If your opponent tries to roll, this reset becomes COMPLETELY INESCAPABLE. Because wakeups lose their invincibility after a roll, your opponent will be completely vulnerable on recovery. You don't ever have to guess on a wakeup, because even if they opt to do one, they won't have the invincibility for a reversal. Your opponent has two options: Either they can stop rolling in favor of the 50/50 guessing game on wakeup, or they can keep rolling and give you a guaranteed reset, every single time. The first option only means this reset will be easier to time, so hey, you're looking good either way.

And now, my favorite part...

The Altaire (lol) Reset: Rambo Edition

Do you have balls? Do you have BIG balls? Do you want the whole world to know JUST HOW BIG YOUR BALLS ARE? If you said yes to any of these, then boy, DO I HAVE THE RESET FOR YOU!

...Just, like, substitute 3 4 for 3 3 2. Between the two hits of 3 3 and the bomb itself, this version stuffs a LOT of wakeups. It only does 26% as opposed to 31% for the full combo and the timing is somewhat strict (your slide can whiff if you mistime it), but this is the most consistent option you can use. It absolutely decimates characters with longer startup time on their wakeups, and it makes this reset almost brainless in some matchups. Sektor, for instance, gets absolutely destroyed by this, as 3 3 2 will consistently stuff all of his wakeup options (apart from EX flame being more difficult to beat consistently, though this is really not going to be an issue). As with the base version, you can also follow 3 3 2 with a mid bomb instead of slide.

The Altaire Reset: Fuck You Edition

This part is fairly straightforward: If the reset carries them into the corner, you can end the base 3 4 reset in B2 4 X-ray if you have the meter and you're so inclined. This increases the overall damage to a whopping 82% if it's connected from his BnB U4 bomb cancel. If performed from the bomb trap, it does 98%. Yes, 98%. This reset has a GREAT deal of carry distance as well; it'll carry your opponent all the way to the wall from the middle of the screen, for instance. In a sense, this is like Cyber Sub's answer to Jax's corner nonsense: If he has three bars and he drags you into the corner with this, you're done. No one is coming back from that kind of damage without some Daigo shit.

Alright, that's all for now. In my guide, I've covered the ways that this can (or should) be applied in every matchup, right down to wakeups it can or can't beat and situations where the 3 3 2 version is favored. As that's a hell of a mouthful, I'll just save that for the guide itself (I need to leave you with SOME reason to read it, after all). About the guide itself, I don't know what to say. I'm really sorry it's taken as long as it has. I've been extremely busy as of late, and unfortunately, there's just no fighting with writer's block. For awhile, my sleep pattern was a fucking trainwreck, and when I wasn't working, I was either sleeping or on caffeine life support.

I'm still too busy for my own good, but if nothing else, my routine is table again, so I should have more time to commit to the guide. All I can ask is that you be patient with me. Rest assured, the ONLY reason the guide wasn't released sooner is because I don't want to release it unless I'm 100% positive that it is my absolute best effort. Until then, enjoy the reset, and feel free to leave any feedback or suggestions you might have.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Sweet Jesus.

Such a sudden surge of CSZ information...I like it.

And with the wake-up list thingy I compiled...this is freaking awesome!

Altaire

Noob
Sweet Jesus.

Such a sudden surge of CSZ information...I like it.

And with the wake-up list thingy I compiled...this is freaking awesome!
Trust me, there is a lot, and I mean a LOT more in my guide.

Despite what all the haters have been saying, there's a reason it's taking so long. This is my favorite piece of tech so far, though.

Shady

Noob
You heard it here first folks, if you plan on printing this guide stock up on some spare ink cartridges. I'm going for it's going to take at least 3 of them fuckers to print all of this baby.

GuamoKun

Despite what all the haters have been saying, there's a reason it's taking so long. This is my favorite piece of tech so far, though.
:oops: I wouldn't know how to react the day your guide comes out. That little incomplete list that I created took me about 7 straight hours.

I'd say that compiling what you, J360, REO, Pig, TEST YOUR MIGHT, and me have compiled...there is sooooooooooo much information for this odd character.

1327665906078.gif

This makes me happy.

Altaire

Noob
Don't wanna be an asshole but seeing as you're one already (that's a compliment) ummmm... this is new?
Find me any one instance where this has been posted. I can GUARANTEE it wasn't on this forum, because immediately upon being appointed moderator, I went through every topic on this board and deleted anything I deemed unnecessary clutter.

I also don't see how being called an asshole is a compliment, but whatever.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
against some characters you can do an iceball on their wakeup and it pushes them into the bomb.

Too lazy to fully describe it, you'll see what I mean.

GuamoKun

against some characters you can do an iceball on their wakeup and it pushes them into the bomb.

I have something in the works about this. It covers EVERY CHARACTER'S wake-up.

I just need to record the footage for visual aid.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Then what the hell did people do after a u4~bomb? Im 100% sure i've seen people doing 3,4 after an u4~bomb, as well as the traditional divekicks. Either way it's still very nice gotta give credit where credit is due, as you said some characters can't do anything about it. As far as ermac goes, does he have time to do a d1 and jump out or is he still getting caught?

Well i sorry i called you an asshole then, i recall some posts a while ago where you were boasting about being and asshole, my bad i guess.

Altaire

Noob
Then what the hell did people do after a u4~bomb? Im 100% sure i've seen people doing 3,4 after an u4~bomb, as well as the traditional divekicks. Either way it's still very nice gotta give credit where credit is due, as you said some characters can't do anything about it. As far as ermac goes, does he have time to do a d1 and jump out or is he still getting caught?

Well i sorry i called you an asshole then, i recall some posts a while ago where you were boasting about being and asshole, my bad i guess.
If you're so sure, then by all means, post some footage. If it's so common, I'm sure J360, Usedforglue or Pig of the Hut have done it in their match videos, right?

I can already confirm that Pig and J360 didn't know about this until I pointed it out to them, because they told me so themselves. They've both known about this for quite awhile, they were just sworn to secrecy and had the decency to adhere to that. I certainly haven't seen Usedforglue do it, though I'm just counting down the minutes until Glue and Foxy come running in so Glue can tell me he's been doing it since launch and Foxy can be his alibi. To be completely blunt: If anyone had ever done this even once or twice, they'd immediately start making it a regular part of their game, and I've yet to see a single Cyber Sub player use it at all. Me, on the other hand, I use it every chance I get: Ask Milky about that.

I don't recall boasting about being an asshole so much as I said I just don't care if people on the internet consider me one, FYI. It's not something I'm proud of, but as it IS just the internet, it's not something I'd be ashamed of either.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Except, y'know, it IS a reset. You guess on a 50-50 chance to put your opponent back into a combo. That IS a traditional combo reset.
That's just like saying Noob's portal set-ups are resets , Cyrax's bomb set-ups(not the actual resets) are resets , Scorpion's vortex is a reset , Sub Zero's B2 a reset(Well, actually it IS a reset but it's not a true reset...more like a set-up)

Resets are guaranteed like Cyrax's , Jax's and Smoke's(Ok , not guaranteed but when it hits, it's unescapable , like...you know what I mean)

Altaire

Noob

I also covered this in my guide. The better setup is to just use D4 ice ball or D4 ice beam. D4 ice ball, on hit, prevents your opponent from jumping out; the ice ball will catch them just as they leave the ground. If they try to block it, the bomb will hit before they can punish you. Unfortunately, it IS slightly risky, because if your opponent blocks the D4, they CAN jump out of the ice ball. This is where D4 ice beam comes into play: Even if your opponent blocks the D4, they cannot jump out of the ice beam while it's in active frames, and if the bomb hits before the beam connects, it actually does 12% damage total instead of 8%. Of course, this only pins them while the ice beam is in ACTIVE frames, so after a certain point, they can jump out. This is only an issue if you do the D4 almost immediately after the bomb is launched, and unless your opponent has the reaction time of a sloth, they aren't going to just stand there after a close bomb in neutral game. The idea is that after a bomb setup into knockdown, i.e. 1 1 2 mid bomb, you can dash up and do D4 ice beam to pin them on the bomb. That said, this setup basically works in any situation where a bomb is on screen, though if it's a freeze bomb, you are negating the potential combo you could get for it in favor of consistency. Still, if it'll close out a round or even give you a decisive life lead, it's a valid option, especially if you have the meter to spare.

Of course, when I tried mentioning D4 ice ball's potential in bomb setups, Tom Brady put me on blast and went so far as to make a video indirectly attacking me for the idea, but luckily, he doesn't have the slightest fucking clue how Cyber Sub is supposed to be played.

Altaire

Noob
That's just like saying Noob's portal set-ups are resets , Cyrax's bomb set-ups(not the actual resets) are resets , Scorpion's vortex is a reset , Sub Zero's B2 a reset(Well, actually it IS a reset but it's not a true reset...more like a set-up)

Resets are guaranteed like Cyrax's , Jax's and Smoke's(Ok , not guaranteed but when it hits, it's unescapable , like...you know what I mean)

Except, y'know, Scorpion's vortex IS a reset, so good call.

Here's a protip: Most of the oldschool players don't even consider Cyrax's resets to be resets. We call them "resets" colloquially, but by definition, they ARE combos, and we only refer to them as resets because the damage scaling is reset at one or more points. Technically speaking, there is a difference between a "combo reset" and a "reset combo". A combo reset is any setup where you can potentially trap your opponent into another combo (oh, hey, that's exactly what the vortex and charge B2 resets do), while a reset combo is any full combo that utilizes scaling resets, as is the case for Jax's corner combos and Cyrax's double net (and formerly buzzsaw) traps.

Don't even try to lecture me on fighting game terminology.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
d4 ice ball would leave you vulnerable to wakeups that hit you up close. I'm talking about being far away and doing an ice ball, so that something like a lao spin couldn't touch you.

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
Here's a protip: Most of the oldschool players don't even consider Cyrax's resets to be resets. We call them "resets" colloquially, but by definition, they ARE combos, and we only refer to them as resets because the damage scaling is reset at one or more points. Technically speaking, there is a difference between a "combo reset" and a "reset combo". A combo reset is any setup where you can potentially trap your opponent into another combo (oh, hey, that's exactly what the vortex and charge B2 resets do), while a reset combo is any full combo that utilizes scaling resets, as is the case for Jax's corner combos and Cyrax's double net (and formerly buzzsaw) traps.

Don't even try to lecture me on fighting game terminology.
it's always annoyed me a bit that Smoke, Jax, and Cyrax's shit have always been called 'resets.' the shit is guaranteed; that's a combo. glad you saw through the bs too :p

on the tech, that's some scary shit. can't wait to see Pig using it hopefully.