What's new

The 5 Most Useless Tournament Variations Part 1

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Speaking to the Star Power variation. You left out the fact that the sunglasses throw is a mid and still fucking whiffs on crouch blocking players. And the absurd Krushing Blow requirements...yeah, Johnny doesn't get to do KBs in either variation. None of them are viable in competitive play.

These variations weren't though through whatsoever. Why they left out the Stunt Double moves is beyond me. That shit woulda been hype.

Speaking to the Star Power variation. You left out the fact that the sunglasses throw is a mid and still fucking whiffs on crouch blocking players. And the absurd Krushing Blow requirements...yeah, Johnny doesn't get to do KBs in either variation. None of them are viable in competitive play.

These variations weren't though through whatsoever. Why they left out the Stunt Double moves is beyond me. That shit woulda been hype.
yeah i left out a few things, like also, to whiff the camera, you have to basically forego all damage to get crushing blows.

It was a good video but please next time use the real variation names so nobody would be lost. I know Kano and Johnny so I knew what variations you were talking about but I wouldn't be able to recognize all the variation names for every character yet.

Johnny Showstopper has less tools than his default version. There is no reason to pick it. Say Cheese costs two slots in the variation and is less effective in any way than the default nutpunch. It could have maybe be useful if it didn't replace the nutpunch, so it could have given JC a way to deal damage without risking a breakaway and without increasing the gravity scaling. But no they managed to release a character with arguably the worst variation in the game that doesn't bring anything valuable and disable one of the best special move of the character. GGs NRS

It was a good video but please next time use the real variation names so nobody would be lost. I know Kano and Johnny so I knew what variations you were talking about but I wouldn't be able to recognize all the variation names for every character yet.

Johnny Showstopper has less tools than his default version. There is no reason to pick it. Say Cheese costs two slots in the variation and is less effective in any way than the default nutpunch. It could have maybe be useful if it didn't replace the nutpunch, so it could have given JC a way to deal damage without risking a breakaway and without increasing the gravity scaling. But no they managed to release a character with arguably the worst variation in the game that doesn't bring anything valuable and disable one of the best special move of the character. GGs NRS
Yeah i'll put in more effort next time -probably slides as well, more professional voiceovers, i'm still learning.

Vastly

Noob
A bit of a sloppy editting job by myself -but i created this video to point out some of the questionable design of some of the tournament variations in this game.

Agreed, I am maining Johnny so far and his say cheese variation is practically useless. I know he isn't that strong in this game so far but I think I just like that he reminds of MK9 in some ways.

For those of us who can't watch the video, what are the variations in it? Did it include Kitana's Mileena variation, because that one sucks and it really pisses off people who want to dress her up as Mileena and use the sais.

Vastly

Noob
For those of us who can't watch the video, what are the variations in it? Did it include Kitana's Mileena variation, because that one sucks and it really pisses off people who want to dress her up as Mileena and use the sais.
It's only "Part 1" of a series of videos apparenlty and it just focused on Kano and Johnny Cage as of now.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
That variation certainly isn’t my preference, but it does have its uses as a better counter-zoning alternative to the other. There are obvious downsides though.

I agree with the video in that Johnny Cage’s variation with Say Cheese and Throwing Shade you gain absolutely nothing by selecting it. Definitely one of the bottom five.

Wigy

There it is...
Fistcuffs double all block damage including fireballs. It's good use it. Just short duration.
I mean if you use it outside a combo ender where you give up Oki and it's basically unsafe you're asking to get punished.

Then you need to somehow get in on them on them with your normals, it's quite easy to lame out cage. I find when I land hits it's whiff punishes or pokes. Pretty hard to get his chip out.

It is useable but depending on the matchup. Jaqui or character with crap zoning that want to come to you, yeah it's good. Otherwise, pretty pointless.

If are never being blocked then I guess you don't need anything and cage is a good. But most people don't feel that way.

She is not part of the 5 i picked, i did want to make an honorable mention to the fact that her stance cancel would be great but that gave her that almost meaningless special to replace her fanlift. Her stance makes her zoning better so it wouldn't make the cut as useless.

Wigy

There it is...
Jaquis high tech variation or whatever it’s calles
The moves arent trash unusable tier at all. Her air down ball is great for poke crushing. She has more to threaten outside pressure range and her bubble shield ducks highs on startup. Like the other one is better but a few small changes and it would be pretty damn good.

Johnny's other variation is just LOL.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Oh, sure enough.. it's Peckapowa. I could make a strong argument (and I'm sure you can too) that both of Johnny Cage's variations are hot garbage.

(PS: I still love you, Peck)

I'd also give a strong vote for Noob Saibot's 1st tournament variation (the one that isn't Dark Sabbath). He has no ways to extend combos outside of the corner, has the useless version of Ghostball, has what amounts to a wasted slot with air Teleport (when the superior option is clearly the Portals).

Last edited:

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
That variation definitely doesn’t suck man lol

Oh, sure enough.. it's Peckapowa. I could make a strong argument (and I'm sure you can too) that both of Johnny Cage's variations are hot garbage.

(PS: I still love you, Peck)

I'd also give a strong vote for Noob Saibot's 1st tournament variation (the one that isn't Dark Sabbath). He has no ways to extend combos outside of the corner, has the useless version of Ghostball, has what amounts to a wasted
Well cage might not be that great but his but the video is more about the secondary pointless variations. Noob was a consideration, but i do think the LOW slide is a pretty nice option. It's definetely a consideration.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Did I miss something, Peck? You only talked about Kano and Johnny Cage. What were the other three variations?

Agree 110% though on Johnny. I felt so stupid when I went online and tried his tourny variations out. Who tested these? Who the hell thought anyone would slot in "Say Cheese" over Nutpunch? And what is that sunglasses toss move? I just have such a hard time believing that any thought went into these variations. They could've randomized them and they would've turned out better. I mean, I guess Shock Jock isn't as bad as Showstopper but neither is optimal.