What's new

That One SNES Game.

Havatchu

Noob
Could be any 16-Bit system of the 90s...yes even the Turbografx can be included. :china:

I personally grew up with the SNES and I swear, Chrono Trigger is one of the most incredible games I've ever played on the system. But if I had to have only one Super Nintendo game for the rest of my life it would be Donkey Kong Country 2. The soundtrack is amazing, the gameplay is fluid, and that cartridge is the key to a vault of childhood memories.

Megaman X2 comes to a close third, but I never owned the game in the original cartridge form.

What's your one game you have to have?

Fun side note: I haven't played the game in over a decade since I sold all my old game stuff to upgrade to a PS2 when they were just coming out along with my NES and N64. I'm getting it for Christmas and it should be here any day now. Needless to say, I'm stoked.

Discuss.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Could be any 16-Bit system of the 90s...yes even the Turbografx can be included. :china:

I personally grew up with the SNES and I swear, Chrono Trigger is one of the most incredible games I've ever played on the system. But if I had to have only one Super Nintendo game for the rest of my life it would be Donkey Kong Country 2. The soundtrack is amazing, the gameplay is fluid, and that cartridge is the key to a vault of childhood memories.
You and I...we have the same #1.
Well, it'd probably be tied with Super Mario World and DKC1...okay, so three, three of my favorite games of all time.
I give the DKC edge just sliiightly to 2. The level diversity was amazing, the gimmicks, the collectibles, the LOST WORLD...
Always gonna hate that parrot race before the Final Boss, though...

Still, Tim makes a good point: Nothing beats the original.
I think my record for all 96 levels in Super Mario World was 3 hours or so...
Never gets old. Ever.

Havatchu

Noob
[MENTION=7463]static[/MENTION]: That is a good one, specifically SMB2, even it was ripped off of Doki Doki Panic, and SMB3. Even as a kid I couldn't stand playing SMB1 with the updated graphics, I just thought it was wrong back then.

First SNES game I owned was of course Super Mario World...I'm pretty sure DKC2 was my second.

First videogames I ever played were Tiny Toon Adventures and Dragon Quest on the NES and I think we borrowed Mega Man 4 from a relative a few times.

[MENTION=8096]box[/MENTION]yRobot: Yeah, DKC1 is just as good in it's own way, but I feel DKC2 just has alot more flair and polish.

[MENTION=2204]Juggernaut[/MENTION][/MENTION]: That would also be a contender if I didn't just rent it all the time. MMX3 was a bit of a turn off even back then even though I also rented the crap out of that as well.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
First video game I played was Spanky's quest. That game is god like and has the most amazing music and sound effects I've ever heard.

I'm too young to know wtf snes is. I did like ff 4 5 and 6 though. You know, the old skool jrpg days, before they went to trash. I also liked chrono trigger but i never beat the last boss, too damn hard. All the WWF games were fun too.\

I'm also much much too young to have the NES as my first console.

Havatchu

Noob
[MENTION=2204]Juggernaut[/MENTION]: I've heard of alot of obscure videogames...never that one.

[MENTION=7704]Playpal[/MENTION]: Technically my first was a NES, but I didn't really play until me and my dad got a SNES. His all time favorites were and always will be Castlevania, Dragon Quest and the Zelda series. We also played Pokemon, I had Red he had Blue. He rules for the most part.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Chrono Cross > Chrono Trigger.

Yes, I said it. But that's me. I'm a little loony.

The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers game was epic.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles traveling time was really epic.

Havatchu

Noob
Chrono Cross > Chrono Trigger.

Yes, I said it. But that's me. I'm a little loony.

The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers game was epic.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles traveling time was really epic.
You have balls of steel for that one Boxy. I only got like 1/2 way through Cross...last place I was in was the place with the frozen flame...I was Lynx and that jester girl died or something? I just lost interest. Come to the think of it that was my first experience of not finishing an RPG, my second sadlybeing FFTactics. Now THAT game was worth investing to me, but I got hopelessly stuck in between instant boss fights with Wiegraf.

MMPR was pretty badass, and they had several of them I believe. Also Turtles in Time was on a must rent basis equivalent to Earthworm Jim. I asked for more N64 games and PS2 games looking back at it now for some reason. Don't know why.

Damn Playpal, I'll only be 22 in February. : P

[MENTION=2204]Juggernaut[/MENTION]: That's pretty damn funky. I'll have to give it a whirl sometime, somehow reminds me of Plok.

Tim Static

Adminerator
[MENTION=7463]static[/MENTION]: That is a good one, specifically SMB2, even it was ripped off of Doki Doki Panic, and SMB3. Even as a kid I couldn't stand playing SMB1 with the updated graphics, I just thought it was wrong back then.
yea i agree but having all those games on one cartridge was a very fair trade. :coffee:

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
gotta be Donkey kong country, DK64 is possibly my favourite game on the planet.
also had a crackin soundtrack :)

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
You have balls of steel for that one Boxy. I only got like 1/2 way through Cross...last place I was in was the place with the frozen flame...I was Lynx and that jester girl died or something? I just lost interest. Come to the think of it that was my first experience of not finishing an RPG, my second sadlybeing FFTactics. Not THAT game was worth investing to me, but I got hopelessly stuck in between instant boss fights with Wiegraf.

MMPR was pretty badass, and they had several of them I believe. Also Turtles in Time was on a must rent basis equivalent to Earthworm Jim. I asked for more N64 games and PS2 games looking back at it now for some reason. Don't know why.

Damn Playpal, I'll only be 22 in February. : P
When Harle disappears? Oh, man...it gets soooooo much better.
It wasnt FF7-level good, but criminally underrated.

Holy hell, that takes me back...ENGUARDE, DESTROYER OF EVIL OCTOPUS.

[MENTION=2502]Havatchu[/MENTION] If you ask kamikaze_player and any of the guys in the wharf, they'll tell you I'm 12. Are they right? I'll show proof: I played streets of rage 2... on PSN.

They sure don't make VGM like they used to.

Havatchu

Noob

That's probably the first piece of game music etched in my cerebellum. Even if I didn't own it back then. DK64 was pretty sweet. I think only beat it once, maybe twice to be honest. Not a bad game at all. Scoff and Troff (spelling?) were the highlights for me as well as Trixie and Lanky Kong. Nice sig by the way.

[MENTION=8096]box[/MENTION]y: I take it back, FF7, was my first RPG game I didn't finish. I believe I was either just about to end the second disk or just began the third disc and just never got around too it. I think math in Jr. High was evading me at the time.

Since we're on the topic of VGM I'll link a channel I sub called techwerks. http://www.youtube.com/user/teckwerks#p/u/0/qqlbuKcG5AE I'm pretty sure he does all MIDI stuff, but it's not subpar. It's great. Here's an example.

[video=youtube_share;qqlbuKcG5AE]http://youtu.be/qqlbuKcG5AE[/video]

Playpal- "They sure don't make VGM like they used to."

You just gotta look for it a little harder.

[MENTION=2502]Havatchu[/MENTION] not saying it's worse, just saying it's different. The oldskool, low budget electronic sound has been replaced by seemingly more organic, orchestral music.

Secret of Mana.

Megaman X and Donkey Kong Country would be very close as well.

The first game I ever owned was Gradius 3, I beat that game for the first time when I was 6 years old.

I also used to beat Turtles in Time every morning before school.

Havatchu

Noob
[MENTION=2502]Havatchu[/MENTION] not saying it's worse, just saying it's different. The oldskool, low budget electronic sound has been replaced by seemingly more organic, orchestral music.
I know, and I wasn't insinuating that if it read like that.

I enjoy both, honestly. Whatever works for the soundtrack as a whole is what should be used.

Reedoms

Noob
Silver Surfer was probably one of the first games I ever played as a kid. Game was so ridiculously difficult. It had an amazing soundtrack though considering the time it came out.