What's new

Tekken 8 Post-Release Discussion Thread

What's the point of playing ranked if everyone's just going to leave after the second match?

At least with MK you get some cosmetics but here everyone seems to be protective over their dinky little ranking title.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
What's the point of playing ranked if everyone's just going to leave after the second match?

At least with MK you get some cosmetics but here everyone seems to be protective over their dinky little ranking title.
Same shit with every online fighting game.

I actually prefer ranked matches in T8, because you get ranked with someone closer to your skill level. In a quick matchup, you could get ranked with some Tekken god and get annihilated in no time flat. I'm fortunate to say I have never encountered a quitter in this game yet.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I haven't played ranked in a few days, but did managed to get to red ranks pretty quickly. IDK if that is "doing ok" or not but I do feel like I'm not getting a few things.

I don't feel like I get the oki situation. I know a few situations where I know some stuff is or near guaranteed, or have some plan afterwords, but I'm feeling as tense on knocking people down as I did in MK11. I kind of just want to let them get up in a lot of cases. Meanwhile people just jump on me when I'm down and seem to get a lot of mileage out of it, so I guess I just don't get something. I know about most of the options mechanically like side rolls, ukemis, wake up low kick, wake up mid kick, forward and back rolls, and spring kick. Maybe it's just a lot of options, but I feel like it's a problem area for me.

I've been using Azucena. I like playing her mostly, though I generally dislike stance shenanigans in a character. Tekken has a lot of that, so it's hard to narrow your character choices by that. People seem to think her stance is super good, something about mix, but honestly I'm not sure what to do with it and want out as fast as possible when forced into it. Then there is the "wait how did I end up in stance" moments. Basically though, I don't have an answer for "why do I want to be in stance" but others seem to suggest there is one. If I'm going to play her I should probably work that out

Immortal

Blind justice....
I have yet to meet a player that knows what "hesitate" means
Or what Highs are for that matter
Maybe they exist in Blue ranks?
Weird, i mean Tekken 8 is offense focused but on higher ranks pretty much nobody presses on minus frames but they do go HARD on plus frames also most of them know characters inside out so using highs is an easy way to get destroyed.

And i still play Dragunov lmao, at this rate i will get to Jun or Zafina in the middle of the year lol. but man Dragunov is so goddamn fun to play. Also Tekken 8 practice mode and ghosts options are a masterpiece.

Last edited:

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Oh my. How do we feel about this one?
View attachment 21403
This was written by the same dude who sent me hatemail in MK9 after I smoked him with Jax.

"You are such shit. Learn to play the game properly. You can't even dash properly. Whatever you were doing looked so stupid."

I was block dashing.

Anyway, here's the difference between Namco and NRS. Namco won't give a fuck about this shitty take. You're not going to see the game overhauled to cater to braindead morons who are just waiting for Eddy to release so they can mash the 3 and 4 buttons. This is a player who will be stuck in green ranks 3 years from now because they refuse to learn how to actually deal with anything they find remotely challenging.

I hate fighting Reina and Azucena but there has NEVER been a fighter more suited and equipped to helping you learn how to deal with whatever you're struggling against. I actually really enjoy watching replays and discovering ways to deal with things.

Also.....fucking IMAGINE asking for higher chip damage in a game that has NEVER HAD CHIP DAMAGE BEFORE.

LEGEND

YES!
Tekken 8 ranked is such a joke rn. They need to lock people into sets and fix the plugging issue.

played for a few hours last night and 95% of my matches went one of 4 ways:

• I win, they quit
  • I win, they rematch, start getting shit on again and then pull the plug.
  • I lose, they quit
  • I win, they rematch, they barely win by playing like a maniac, they quit.
SO frustrating.

Immortal

Blind justice....
At what rank is that?

I mean i get many people who just quit after i win first game but had maybe idk 2-3 pluggers in idk 100 games?

Win or lose i always rematch also couldn't care less about my rank.
I really enjoy ranked, billion miles ahead of MK1. I just set connection req to 5 bars, rank -+2 and always reject wifi and RU players, works great for me.

LEGEND

YES!
At what rank is that?

I mean i get many people who just quit after i win first game but had maybe idk 2-3 pluggers in idk 100 games?

Win or lose i always rematch also couldn't care less about my rank.
I really enjoy ranked, billion miles ahead of MK1. I just set connection req to 5 bars, rank -+2 and always reject wifi and RU players, works great for me.
its been happening since the beginning, but only had it this bad yesterday though. Using the same filter as you, though I'm going to stop accepting PC matches as well now after a few 5FPS PC matches.

I started yesterday in early Orange ranks but am now at 1 game from Red. It was a fuckin slog. I've played maybe an equal amount of ranked prior to yesterday to get where I was.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This was written by the same dude who sent me hatemail in MK9 after I smoked him with Jax.

"You are such shit. Learn to play the game properly. You can't even dash properly. Whatever you were doing looked so stupid."

I was block dashing.

Anyway, here's the difference between Namco and NRS. Namco won't give a fuck about this shitty take. You're not going to see the game overhauled to cater to braindead morons who are just waiting for Eddy to release so they can mash the 3 and 4 buttons. This is a player who will be stuck in green ranks 3 years from now because they refuse to learn how to actually deal with anything they find remotely challenging.

I hate fighting Reina and Azucena but there has NEVER been a fighter more suited and equipped to helping you learn how to deal with whatever you're struggling against. I actually really enjoy watching replays and discovering ways to deal with things.

Also.....fucking IMAGINE asking for higher chip damage in a game that has NEVER HAD CHIP DAMAGE BEFORE.
Namco added a mechanic to Tekken 8 to encourage offense, make certain inputs easier, and added chip damage etc. mostly to appease the casuals who said the matches weren’t exciting enough, the pace was too slow, etc.

I don’t think any company is completely immune from this, it’s just becoming a regular part of modern fighting games.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
what input device are you using and any tips on the perfect electric?

pereonally i play on pad and never been able to get it,even once.
I play on stick. Hori rap 4 kai with Sanwa buttons and a Korean crown 309mj leaver.
Pewgf takes alot of time to get. The timing is very strict. There is alot I would be learning with kaz before chdf2 pewgf is a thought.
There are sessions where I hit it 80% of the time and some I hit it 20% of the time.
It's not necessary to be a good kaz player but it can finish a round real quick lol.

i would just skip 50% of the roster playing on gamepad.
haha yeah i know what you mean,but i play all fgs on pad so i developed a certain level of execution that would take me alot of time to achieve on a different device so im stuck with pad.

got used to the specific tekken stuff and how to execut it on pad mostly by playing akuma in t7 and doing his death combo routes,and doing mishma electrics and all that.

its good that 2 button inputs can be mapped to the shoulder buttons so i dont need to go claw style,that shit hurts my hand after a few minutes haha

I play on stick. Hori rap 4 kai with Sanwa buttons and a Korean crown 309mj leaver.
Pewgf takes alot of time to get. The timing is very strict. There is alot I would be learning with kaz before chdf2 pewgf is a thought.
There are sessions where I hit it 80% of the time and some I hit it 20% of the time.
It's not necessary to be a good kaz player but it can finish a round real quick lol.
Yeah im not looking to incorporate it in my game,it just seems like on pad its impossible to do haha.
Out off all the extra hard tekken techniques this one is the only one i was never able to get even once.

80% is pretty high for such a tough technique that great execution,guess the stick is more suitable for it too compared to pad.