What's new

Tekken 8 Post-Release Discussion Thread

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Damn 4 obscure players from Pakistan beat out JDCR, shadow and more at the last chance qualifier for the Esports World Cup.
I would not necessarily describe those four players as "obscure". While Abbasi sounds the most unfamiliar name to me, I follow the Pakistani players and Tekken scene,. Ali, Sajawal, as well as Tanveer have performed very well in local, regional, and even some international tournaments in Tekken 7 and Tekken 8. Some of these players only get the opportunity to travel on occasional because of VISA issues.

After a few I just had to laugh lol. Wild how in-agreement most of the players are with the top/bottom characters. Pretty much there's a Top 6 and bottom 4 pretty consistently.
I believe that Tekken 8 is presently the most played fighting game around the globe, so there are lots of data and statistics to extract from online and offline tournaments. I would say that the tier list below, which is primarily based on my observations rather than my personal opinions, accurately summarizes the current state of the meta. The characters within each tier are listed alphabetically.

Top tier - Alisa, Dragunov, Feng, Jin, Nina, Yoshimitsu
High tier - Bryan, Claudio, King, Law, Shaheen, Victor, Xiaoyu
Mid tier - Hwoarang, Kazuya, Kuma, Lidia, Lili, Paul, Reina, Steve, Zafina
Low tier - Azucena, Eddy, Jack 8, Jun, Lee, Leo, Leroy
Bottom tier - Asuka, Devil Jin, Lars, Panda, Raven

Let me know if you guys disagree with anything.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I second the anti-obscure players comment. Not knowing a player who beats a top player doesn't = player is bad lol, trust me I've been there haha. A lot of times guys just don't have resources to travel or some don't even want to compete. I forgot the guys name but there was someone in Pakistan who is unknown that regularly beats Arslan who Arslan has said is better than him at the game, and he himself won Evo lol. Maybe it's one of those guys.

I believe that Tekken 8 is presently the most played fighting game around the globe, so there are lots of data and statistics to extract from online and offline tournaments. I would say that the tier list below, which is primarily based on my observations rather than my personal opinions, accurately summarizes the current state of the meta. The characters within each tier are listed alphabetically.

Top tier - Alisa, Dragunov, Feng, Jin, Nina, Yoshimitsu
High tier - Bryan, Claudio, King, Law, Shaheen, Victor, Xiaoyu
Mid tier - Hwoarang, Kazuya, Kuma, Lidia, Lili, Paul, Reina, Steve, Zafina
Low tier - Azucena, Eddy, Jack 8, Jun, Lee, Leo, Leroy
Bottom tier - Asuka, Devil Jin, Lars, Panda, Raven

Let me know if you guys disagree with anything.
Yea I agree with most of this. I also think a few things, that the gap between Bottom and low tier is pretty small. Like Asuka is worse than Jun, but not by too much. But the gap between top tier and High tier is larger, like Dragonuv, Feng, and Yoshi are significantly better than Claudio and Shaheen.

The only few changes I would make are dropping Zafina to low (no way can I put her with Kuma/Steve), dropping Victor down to mid (the one I disagree the most, no way I'm putting him with any of those characters), and Lee up to mid (I don't think he's as bad as Leroy, Jack, and Jun). Pretty much every other spot I agree with.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Like Asuka is worse than Jun...
Or is she? Check out KingReyJr.'s performance at VS Fighting this weekend. Best Asuka performance that I have ever seen in any Tekken game.

By the way, I disagree with the large gap between top and high tier characters. I would not call characters like Feng and Yoshimitsu significantly better than characters like Law and Shaheen. I would argue that tournament results prove that the gap is rather small Admittedly, the only exception is Dragunov, who is overrepresented in tournaments.

I also disagree about Victor. The fact that certain top players like Farzeen and MEO-IL continue using Victor as their main character while certain others like AO and Arslan Ash use Victor as a secondary or tertiary character proves that he has value in tournaments. The same is accurate for Zafina, albeit to a far lesser extent. She is mostly used as a secondary character by players like Chanel and Shadow. The characters whom I placed as low and bottom tier are rarely used as main or secondary characters.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Or is she? Check out KingReyJr.'s performance at VS Fighting this weekend. Best Asuka performance that I have ever seen in any Tekken game.

By the way, I disagree with the large gap between top and high tier characters. I would not call characters like Feng and Yoshimitsu significantly better than characters like Law and Shaheen. I would argue that tournament results prove that the gap is rather small Admittedly, the only exception is Dragunov, who is overrepresented in tournaments.

I also disagree about Victor. The fact that certain top players like Farzeen and MEO-IL continue using Victor as their main character while certain others like AO and Arslan Ash use Victor as a secondary or tertiary character proves that he has value in tournaments. The same is accurate for Zafina, albeit to a far lesser extent. She is mostly used as a secondary character by players like Chanel and Shadow. The characters whom I placed as low and bottom tier are rarely used as main or secondary characters.
That hands down is the cleanest Asuka play I have ever seen. Wow.

I have a heavy bias against Victor lol. Feel like he's been so overrated for so long it's hard for me to see it. He's definitely better after the last updates I'll give him that much. Whereas Feng I think is almost as close to Dragonuv with how ridiculous the character is, but a character like say Law, has better representation from some of the tippity top players using him. Xiaoyu is another character that is pretty ridiculous and belongs in there at the high tier spot, but has significantly less representation than Feng for example, something like that. That's very true that those bottom tier characters are never used as secondary lol. most of the time a main loyalist but a lot of people have dropped them if they played them.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Also Nobi got rekted round 1 and is out of the tournament, same as Keisuke and AK and Arslan.

As for the tier list at EVO or any other... it makes little sense to me. People are doing well or even winning with characters that top players call bottom tier or even close to worst character in the game. Imo character balance in Tekken 8 is in a good place now.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Also Nobi got rekted round 1 and is out of the tournament, same as Keisuke and AK and Arslan.

As for the tier list at EVO or any other... it makes little sense to me. People are doing well or even winning with characters that top players call bottom tier or even close to worst character in the game. Imo character balance in Tekken 8 is in a good place now.
Definitely a wild tournament. When it's this stacked you just know there will be some big ones.

I hear ya. Like any game some characters are better than others, but it might be the most balanced FG right now. Even the obscene Dragonuv isn't so strong that you just get wrecked hard in some 3-7 MU or something, which in other games that is still currently the case.

Immortal

Blind justice....
I hear ya. Like any game some characters are better than others, but it might be the most balanced FG right now. Even the obscene Dragonuv isn't so strong that you just get wrecked hard in some 3-7 MU or something, which in other games that is still currently the case.
I agree, i don't think there is a single 7-3 MU right now in Tekken 8.

In all honesty i really dont want to see any nerfs to any characters(Dragunov, Nina, Yoshi, King, Feng included) at this point. There is a great character representation at tournaments and like i said people are even winning with "weaker" characters, which is a sign of good balance imo. Hell, KingReyJr makes me wanna pick up Asuka.