What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Oh shit I didn't know you play/follow Tekken??? I still play religiously to this day, loving Julia atm. This is where the real footsies, adaptation, and execution is at. Some of the other boys might not ever understand lol.
coming from Jin she felt like a glove, so many good moves and strong punishment a pletora of good mids.
I played her a few times and was doing really great, blowing up ppl for ducking often fearing lows, twisting arrow cannon on ducked reads like a boss into big boy damage.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
coming from Jin she felt like a glove, so many good moves and strong punishment a pletora of good mids.
I played her a few times and was doing really great, blowing up ppl for ducking often fearing lows, twisting arrow cannon on ducked reads like a boss into big boy damage.
Yea playing Jin you were bound to fit right in. Her punishment is strong, and her CH game is strong. The more I play her the more I think she is a bit too safe on some of her moves. She has arguably the best wall carry in the game. High damage. Impossible to duck against but with very strong (and some safe) lows that will launch you. One of the best RDs in the game. Solid hit confirms. She has all the tools, massive reward for the execution required. Took me a bit but I have her down now, and she became my highest ranking character this weekend. Unbelievable.

Her only actual weakness I would say she has is that she is a bit linear. She can be stepped more often than when I'm using my other characters. The other I would say against a really defensive player she can have a harder time opening someone up. The Asuka MU feels like a good indicator of massive annoyance if they are a patient player.

In her current state though I think she is gonna shoot up the ladder of characters. Tools just too stronkkkkk.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Just to add up, in Season 2, Jin was given a new zen transition
3,1 now transitions into zen and this is +4 on block + fucking 4 and he enters the animation so fast that he gets to cancel it faster than any zen transition

You can't jab him out because zen1+2 launches interrubtiple, zen 1 and zen 3 trades with jabs into a CH launch ,so you are forced to step 31~zen which its a mix because 314 its unstepable and non interruptible by jabs still and gets anyone launched for trying.

So his 314 and 31~zen are now a true mixup
When i told ppl this, they said "nah man, we can duck 31 on reaction"
Then i went to test the frame data on it and discovered that the followup after 3 its 17 frames, no one can duck that on reaction, they have to expect, to this day i haven't seen no one ducking 31 on reaction and Chikurin on the last tournament he faced book he did 3 into backdash and launched book for reacting to the twich animation of the 3 thinking he was going to followup

then again, its not the first time i say these gods of reactions are all frauds.

This may look like nothing but i definitely think 31~zen an 314 are among one of the best Jin's strings in the game, it gives a strong 50-50 that forces you to respect or duck either way trying to react to the 3 like that blasted salami says on that video its a big risk, it killed book for example and delaying a reaction to it gets you launched by 314 which its the fastest followup blowing up hard like a CH db4, and respecing puts you on the strongest 50-50 i've seen in the game, since he enters zen so fast, he gets to cancel it at the same rate, so if you try to duck zen 1, 2 hits, no one wants that, due the constant feat people duck but stand imediately with the fear of getting hit by zen 1, 2, and end up taking free hellsweeps all the time for blocking 3, 1...

sometimes at the wall its where the real shit triggers, you force them to block 3,1~zen and if they duck and you hit them with zen 1, 2 and it wallsplats, i think this string is by far Jin easy mode, specially against those who aren't used to its variations and helps a lot pulling a lot of wins.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yea playing Jin you were bound to fit right in. Her punishment is strong, and her CH game is strong. The more I play her the more I think she is a bit too safe on some of her moves. She has arguably the best wall carry in the game. High damage. Impossible to duck against but with very strong (and some safe) lows that will launch you. One of the best RDs in the game. Solid hit confirms. She has all the tools, massive reward for the execution required. Took me a bit but I have her down now, and she became my highest ranking character this weekend. Unbelievable.

Her only actual weakness I would say she has is that she is a bit linear. She can be stepped more often than when I'm using my other characters. The other I would say against a really defensive player she can have a harder time opening someone up. The Asuka MU feels like a good indicator of massive annoyance if they are a patient player.

In her current state though I think she is gonna shoot up the ladder of characters. Tools just too stronkkkkk.
among the tests i did, a good chunk of her moves are -14 but there is hardly a reason to finish with those enders, you can play easily with jabs, df1, ff1, df2, f3~1, and f2~3, some lows here and there which should be enough to avoid ppl trying to circle around or waiting for massive risks and her whiff punishment its just as good.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Oh shit I didn't know you play/follow Tekken??? I still play religiously to this day, loving Julia atm. This is where the real footsies, adaptation, and execution is at. Some of the other boys might not ever understand lol.
This community makes you believe that all I do is stand full screen away and spam projectiles, but I actually started my fighting game career with Tekken Tag Tournament 1 and Tekken 4, in which I had some tournament success. I play Tekken 7 at a casually competitive level. In my opinion, it is one of the best fighting games ever created.

@John Grizzly , "That Blasted Salami" channel is most certainly one of the best Tekken channels on YouTube. I also enjoy "TheMainManSWE" for the occasional comedic relief.

By the way, I love Lee and Violet. (The purple makes me want Rain in Mortal Kombat 11). Who remembers SS+2~f,N,1,2,4:4 from Tekken 4? However, I am not sure about being S tier in Tekken 7. He arguably received the most buffs in season 2 with the ability to launch after counter d+3~4 and punish -10 moves with f+1,3:3:3 if you have the execution, but his offense is average because of his lows are still average.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
@John Grizzly , "That Blasted Salami" channel is most certainly one of the best Tekken channels on YouTube. I also enjoy "TheMainManSWE" for the occasional comedic relief.
MainManSWE is great! Super entertaining and very good player. Love his channel. FrameWhisperer is also an excellent Tekken channel. He goes super, super in depth on his guides and is a very smart player.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
This community makes you believe that all I do is stand full screen away and spam projectiles, but I actually started my fighting game career with Tekken Tag Tournament 1 and Tekken 4, in which I had some tournament success. I play Tekken 7 at a casually competitive level. In my opinion, it is one of the best fighting games ever created.

By the way, I love Lee and Violet. (The purple makes me want Rain in Mortal Kombat 11). Who remembers SS+2~f,N,1,2,4:4 from Tekken 4? However, I am not sure about being S tier in Tekken 7. He arguably received the most buffs in season 2 with the ability to launch after counter d+3~4 and punish -10 moves with f+1,3:3:3 if you have the execution, but his offense is average because of his lows are still average.
Wow I would have never known!!!

Same for me, Tekken was my true intro into the FGC. Had the original T1 as a kid, by T4 I got into the scene somewhat, and by T5 I used to live in Chinatown Fair in NYC playing offline. Back then you remember, we placed quarters on the front of the arcade machine for next and could plug in the wired PS2 controller with the "Character Cards" to save your data and customs. Those were truly the good ol days. I'd argue until the end of time that Tekken is the Pinnacle fighting game. It's as close to perfect as you can get.

Yea Lee was the man in T4. Probably the best behind the Jin/Steve/Nina trio. Seems like the community is overly high on Lee after the buffs atm. He probably did get the best/most buffs, but I'm not sold on the whole S-Tier either. When I look at a character like Law for example, you can easily see the full package of why he is S Tier. With Lee, the buffs make him a lot stronger, but I'd place him up into the Alisa group before the Law group.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Yea Lee was the man in T4. Probably the best behind the Jin/Steve/Nina trio. Seems like the community is overly high on Lee after the buffs atm. He probably did get the best/most buffs, but I'm not sold on the whole S-Tier either. When I look at a character like Law for example, you can easily see the full package of why he is S Tier. With Lee, the buffs make him a lot stronger, but I'd place him up into the Alisa group before the Law group.
I agree. I also think he is more of a high mid character than a top tier character. A player by the name of Kouki did place t9th at Evolution Japan using only Lee. ImYourFather is considered the best Lee player in the world, but his tournaments results are unimpressive from what I have observed.

What would you guys change about Lars? I miss top tier Lars from T6 and TTT2. LOL. I genuinely believe Namco has an agenda against this character.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Easiest way to fix Lars would be to make his b1 launch on counterhit straight into tailspin. They also could just make his fF1+2 a homing move. That sidestep mid he has (SS2 or SS1 I think) they could just make it advantage on block (+3) and it would be pretty decent move. Right now you can just sidestep right into short crouch block with impunity and just react to his orbital. Only mids he has to track to his left that aren't his trash homing moves are his ws1, uf3 and the 2nd hit of fb2,1, hardly viable options for tracking.

If you are implementing your option select blocks properly you pretty much never should get hit by his mids while still being able to reach at least a 1 out of 4 or 1 out of 3 block rate on his db4, fF4,3 and d1+2 and whatever other shit lows he has that arent his fc df1+2. Lars simply doesn't feel threatening in any way what so ever and you can just let him control the pace of the match because sooner or later you will get a block on those shitty lows and launch him to kingdom come.

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Easiest way to fix Lars would be to make his b1 launch on counterhit straight into tailspin. They also could just make his fF1+2 a homing move. That sidestep mid he has (SS2 or SS1 I think) they could just make it advantage on block (+3) and it would be pretty decent move. Right now you can just sidestep right into short crouch block with impunity and just react to his orbital. Only mids he has to track to his left that aren't his trash homing moves are his ws1, uf3 and the 2nd hit of fb2,1, hardly viable options for tracking.

If you are implementing your option select blocks properly you pretty much never should get hit by his mids while still being able to reach at least a 1 out of 4 or 1 out of 3 block rate on his db4, fF4,3 and d1+2 and whatever other shit lows he has that arent his fc df1+2. Lars simply doesn't feel threatening in any way what so ever and you can just let him control the pace of the match because sooner or later you will get a block on those shitty lows and launch him to kingdom come.
Well-said. I was also going to comment on the lack of counter-hitting tools, which is directly related to the abysmal homing moves. Lots of characters get tailspins, or crumple stuns to a lesser extent, on counter-hitting homing moves. Lars gets nothing. Ever since the old d/f+2 was removed, Lars has had the worst counter-hitting game in Tekken 7. No jab strings. No magic 4. No special string. You are forced to use b+1, which is underwhelming, and d/b+4, which gets you killed on block.

Lars's rage drive is the worst in the game too. Remember what happened to Steve because people thought he had one of the worst rage drives in the game? In season 2, he received a new one! But not just any one. In fact, one of the best ones in the game. He gets to keep the old one too, which is arguably better than Lars's.

Nobody can dispute the fact that Namco does not want Lars to be a good character in Tekken 7. The people behind the "buff Lars" meme have a point. Harada needs to offer an explanation or apologize to Lars players.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Well-said. I was also going to comment on the lack of counter-hitting tools, which is directly related to the abysmal homing moves. Lots of characters get tailspins, or crumple stuns to a lesser extent, on counter-hitting homing moves. Lars gets nothing. Ever since the old d/f+2 was removed, Lars has had the worst counter-hitting game in Tekken 7. No jab strings. No magic 4. No special string. You are forced to use b+1, which is underwhelming, and d/b+4, which gets you killed on block.

Lars's rage drive is the worst in the game too. Remember what happened to Steve because people thought he had one of the worst rage drives in the game? In season 2, he received a new one! But not just any one. In fact, one of the best ones in the game. He gets to keep the old one too, which is arguably better than Lars's.

Nobody can dispute the fact that Namco does not want Lars to be a good character in Tekken 7. The people behind the "buff Lars" meme have a point. Harada needs to offer an explanation or apologize to Lars players.
stop dodging me

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Yea @Smoke_Of_Finland your explanation is dead on about Lars. @General M2Dave is right though. There's not a person on the planet that can convince me that Namco/Harada hasn't purposely sabotaged Lars. Dude has progressively gotten worse each iteration, to now becoming just a massively unsafe, massively steppable, pathetic lows, scrub killer at best.

Not just gameplay, but in story it's even worse. Dude went from the guy who was part of the family bloodline and could defeat all the Mishima's one on one, to running around irrelevant in side stories. Like wtf lol. Dude is punished so harshly that Zafina was exiled just for being associated in his original story.

Almost as if Harada is ashamed of Lars, or regrets creating him. Something is up. He might be the only character I can think of in Tekken who got this type of treatment so blatantly.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
A little something I clipped a while back
https://clips.twitch.tv/MoistWealthyPelicanPraiseIt

and another with the same agenda :D
https://www.twitch.tv/chanel87/clip/PiliableHeadstrongStorkFloof

And yeah, it's quite obvious what is up. Everyone has been getting buffs and have been getting bad moves made better. Lars gets his most important move removed and is given nothing in return. He has good punishers excluding his i10 and a df1 with tracking to his stronger side and access to generic d4 but that is it. You simply can't have a character be viable if they don't have anything that makes you say "oh man that is so cheap/good".

Amplified$hotz

Done with MK1. Stop supporting a scam company
I’m starting this game next week. Gonna try to do well at the local level.

What’s the best way to cut my learning curve?

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
I’m starting this game next week. Gonna try to do well at the local level.

What’s the best way to cut my learning curve?
There isn't. If you are going up against experienced players it will be hard. Movement is key but good movement takes execution. It takes a long time to become average at this game. But thats what is great about it you get out what you put in.

Amplified$hotz

Done with MK1. Stop supporting a scam company
There isn't. If you are going up against experienced players it will be hard. Movement is key but good movement takes execution. It takes a long time to become average at this game. But thats what is great about it you get out what you put in.
Thanks for the reply. I decided to main Josie :)