What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Immortal

Blind justice....
I'm really having character and game crisis right now.

I just can't for the love of god level up past certain point and im getting rekt in ranked by people who even dont play so great. I know Dragunov is great but i just fail to use him correctly and people just either sidestep my wr2 or just pressure me to death with stagger 1 or 1,string coz im guessing incorrectly if they gonna finish the string or not (like Josie players love to do). I can't crouch on reaction to 1,1 or read which means i always block it, so the situation repeats itself. It's depressing, really.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
Yooooo did anyone watch any of CEO?
Harada actually played a set with someone in a "royal rumble", does he ever play people lol?
Was pretty hype

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

I just can't for the love of god level up past certain point and im getting rekt in ranked by people who even dont play so great. I know Dragunov is great but i just fail to use him correctly and people just either sidestep my wr2 or just pressure me to death with stagger 1 or 1,string coz im guessing incorrectly if they gonna finish the string or not (like Josie players love to do). I can't crouch on reaction to 1,1 or read which means i always block it, so the situation repeats itself. It's depressing, really.
Dragunov is so good you don't need to switch characters. He is the peak of character selection in this game. I would say keep riding with him and run sets to try to pick up where you could use tweaks in usage. And the obvious *insert watch top player* remark but there are many to watch play him.

Game wise, yea the Josie example is dead on, as she's one of the characters that you can't let her bs strings get started. For MUs like Josie I can speak personally. People have the most success against me when they start using High crush and low crush moves as reads on my strings. Or SS me. Like when I do string into stance, I can land CH hits a lot, or poke and stay relatively safe. But when the counter is "oh I went low and they did a low crush into full combo, next time I go high and they duck push or get hit by the low damage non CH Mid", it makes me hesitant and play more unsafe, which gets me blown up if I guess wrong. SS-wise, Josie's homing moves are ass, so you can sidestep her pretty heavy and launch, or that profiling move that launches when spaced right. They're such a pain to deal with because of how linear she is.

That's the other end of the stuff that's tough for her. Though I don't think the MU itself is a hard one for her, even though Drag is a monster. Other characters feel tougher to face for her than he is.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick

Can't help you unless you provide footage of your matches. If you have a headset we could get a session going on PS4. If I recognize you having a pattern or a bad habit with something we can break down what the problems are. Coming from MK into Tekken I can recognize a lot of the problems people have that I used to have, not claiming to be an expert player here but I am very good at breaking the game down and recognizing what gets people blown up.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Can't help you unless you provide footage of your matches. If you have a headset we could get a session going on PS4. If I recognize you having a pattern or a bad habit with something we can break down what the problems are. Coming from MK into Tekken I can recognize a lot of the problems people have that I used to have, not claiming to be an expert player here but I am very good at breaking the game down and recognizing what gets people blown up.
I pretty much wrote what my problem is in my post. Also you can add to that i suck at using Dragunov lows (i use them to often) neither of them is safe so i get punished quite often, not to mention low parry. I feel like Drugonov struggles if you can't move like JDCR and be so unpredictable like him and obviously im nowhere near his level.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I pretty much wrote what my problem is in my post. Also you can add to that i suck at using Dragunov lows (i use them to often) neither of them is safe so i get punished quite often, not to mention low parry. I feel like Drugonov struggles if you can't move like JDCR and be so unpredictable like him and obviously im nowhere near his level.
Having Running 2 stepped means you are not setting it up and just chucking it out from forward movement by extending the range. The thing is, if you move around looking to get your opponent to whiff, you are most likely too far away to throw it out, which means you ought to move around to see where your opponents "comfort zone" is, then dash inside that range and just block. 4 out of 5 times people will chuck a high or a mid out looking to catch you coming in that's negative on block, allowing you at least pressure if not a punish.

if you have a df1 or df4 blocked, you can just backdash into block once into another backdash to fake your opponent into thinking you are looking to set up a whiff, then just do the running 2. This is dependent on your opponent though. With people who are looking to escape pressure by backdashing and not retaliating, you can force them to fight you by having running 2's blocked a lot. However it's best to always assume people will press buttons and in fact, it is the safest and best form of offence. Make them block something safe and look to evade their buttons and just punish. Df1 gives you an easy sidestep setup. If they refuse to fight back just throw their ass with f2+3 and f1+4 and fF1+2 after running 2 gets blocked.

As for being pressured, every time you block or get hit with something, instead of holding back to block, at least attempt to time a backdash and hold the 2nd back. This will alleviate jab pressure and incessant throwing considerably. As for counterpoking, generic d4 (db4) with Dragunov is the best defensive poke. I12 high crushing low, very good tracking, only susceptible to hop kicks and other low crushes, low parries and hard ducks, escapes jab pressure and checks lateral movement. When defending you can also look to sidestep or sidewalk into 1,2,1 to catch a counterhit in between strings, or just duck into ws2 or commit to qcb2 to escape frame traps. You need to make a statement to your opponent that you don't give a shit about their pressure into mix-ups and that you won't be conditioned into blocking. Risky play is required every now and then. Also chuck out uf4 every now and then if you think a low or a throw is coming. Float juggles are harder to confirm in this game with tailspins being mostly highs and getting hit out of the air rarely leads to substantial damage.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
First order of business when pressuring someone is to think how will you get offence and damage on them without being hop kicked. Someone can block standing for a long time but eventually they will hop kick. It's absolutely guaranteed that they will, no matter the level of the opponent.

The ratio between mids and lows ought to be at least 60% mids and 40% lows. This depends on the character and the situation obviously. Jack gets to counterpoke a lot with his db1 because it's i12 and +2 on hit, however low parrying quickly into stand block is a good strat against Jack.

Using lows as a pseudo frame trap will absolutely get you killed. If you are at +4 or the opponent is at -4 you can only get a generic d4 attempt that can not be hop kicked (Asuka's can cans low crush earlier FYI). As most command lows are 15 frames or slower, it becomes clear that you can't use them most of the time without the risk of getting hop kicked because getting +7 to +9 on hit with something is not very common. Throws are infinitely better when used after hitstun despite the potential break.

Best use for beefy lows that are around i19 - i23 is at neutral, or rather when you just let the game back into neutral, approaching someone and controlling space should be done with safe mids and high damage potential highs mostly. One way to use your frame advantage is to simply do nothing and block for a very short while to see if your opponent presses buttons, then you just dash in to hit them with the low after you visually confirm that they didn't chuck out anything. This is totally legit when you block for just long enough and do the mix-up quickly after and works offline as well because of the input lag.

Another thing that will get you killed is using launch punishable lows on the opponents wake-up. There is no better time to duck then after tech rolling. If you are going for the big 50/50 style all-in Oki then you need to use a launching mid instead of something that's just chunky and safe if you want a better risk/reward ratio. If you are not into that then use a safe mid and a low that can't be launched by the opposing character.

If your playing online on ps4.

You really can't judge your ability on that shit.

I just got the pc version and the difference is night and day.

So to all ps4 players. Drop that shit and get the PC version.

No point trying to improve on ps4 because your trying to adapt your playstyle to shitty input lag combined with shiity online lag.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I've had this game since the 15th and I've been playing it non-stop. It's super fun.

Currently maining Claudio, but also learning Shaheen as a secondary.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I've had this game since the 15th and I've been playing it non-stop. It's super fun.

Currently maining Claudio, but also learning Shaheen as a secondary.
good stuff man keep practicing and don't neglect labbing vs other character setups as you will run into a wall if you don't, like me :D

Also if you have a way to record your game play it helps tons. I started watching matches right afterwards to correct mistakes and it helps seeing where you went wrong or right.

Gamer68

Fujin!
good stuff man keep practicing and don't neglect labbing vs other character setups as you will run into a wall if you don't, like me :D
To be honest, I've only played 1 online match. I also have zero "competitive" experience (in terms of learning how the games actually play) with past Tekken games. So I honestly don't know of any character set-ups.

Half of my time has been playing local vs casually, while the other half has been me grinding out practice & treasure mode with Claudio/Shaheen to try to learn this game as quickly as possible.

I'll have to learn all character specific/deep competitive stuff later once I actually get comfortable with the game, and I actually know stuff to lab LOL.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
To be honest, I've only played 1 online match. I also have zero "competitive" experience (in terms of learning how the games actually play) with past Tekken games. So I honestly don't know of any character set-ups.

Half of my time has been playing local vs casually, while the other half has been me grinding out practice & treasure mode with Claudio/Shaheen to try to learn this game as quickly as possible.

I'll have to learn all character specific/deep competitive stuff later once I actually get comfortable with the game, and I actually know stuff to lab LOL.
Honestly nothing wrong with that man, getting a feel of the game first helps. You will prob want to go online soon and test the waters to see how people play and get a feel for it because it gets pretty deep. Just keep at it though man and have fun thats all that matters.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
While YOLO deathfist paul is fun, I actually have to start learning the character now good players just shut me down. God damn though it was fun while it lasted and a refreshing to have a break from Kaz and DJ.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Should I go for PS4 or PC? PS4 has exclusive shit I want, but it's also 900p and isn't the online on PC supposed to be way better?

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I kinda want to say some truths.

I'll say it. I'm kinda dissatisfied and a bit disappointed. I honestly thought even though it's true to its purest form a legacy game. The game I have played right along side of battle arena Toshindin, VF, SF, Mk and the soul series from the late 90's in middle school and high school. Standing on milk crates cause my ass was short and stocky. Till now in 2017... I kinda want a little more options from online.

Player match is archaic and needs improvements. I like how I can see my and my opponents connection bar but do I need to have that big text window covering a good chunk of my screen Too? If theres a way to fix that let me know, but yeah the online play is worse then TTT2 imo.

Half the time you can't get a good revenge match or the 4 bar turns to 3 or your waiting 5+ minutes for a match to fight maybe twice then waiting 5+ more minutes. It's ridiculous when sfv, inj2, even mkxl has Tekken 7 beat cold in the online play.

Seriously guys I'm not bashing the game I love and have waited years for right along side you. Busting Dotritos bags and hitting my stick - hitbox swearing at mk9, inj, ki, usf4 and mkxl that your asses will be replaced. Deleted and sold for new buttons on said sticks. But truths need to be made.

It feels recycled and incomplete. Why? 2015 was so long ago. It's 2017. And the biggest franchises keep making incomplete games we feel. We want to buy. We WILL BUY, but they... They just don't seem to worried about the quality or technology they might have OR not have available to make quality good games any more. Its. Online. I know. I get it. But it matters. To a wannabe fringe online ninja I need my battlefield, and that's better online.

Half the matches I had on xbox on Saturday and Sunday with Tekken vs TONS in inj2.

Why?

Again. I'm looking for insight but I feel discouraged. Only having, Ranked, Player match & Tournament has your online options feels a bit underwhelming. Maybe I just expected more. Not a tag feature. No. Done with that but more options to verse 1v1 with more strict net connections.

I've said what I needed to say. Please don't blow me up but I feel others "might" feel the same way.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I kinda want to say some truths.

I'll say it. I'm kinda dissatisfied and a bit disappointed. I honestly thought even though it's true to its purest form a legacy game. The game I have played right along side of battle arena Toshindin, VF, SF, Mk and the soul series from the late 90's in middle school and high school. Standing on milk crates cause my ass was short and stocky. Till now in 2017... I kinda want a little more options from online.

Player match is archaic and needs improvements. I like how I can see my and my opponents connection bar but do I need to have that big text window covering a good chunk of my screen Too? If theres a way to fix that let me know, but yeah the online play is worse then TTT2 imo.

Half the time you can't get a good revenge match or the 4 bar turns to 3 or your waiting 5+ minutes for a match to fight maybe twice then waiting 5+ more minutes. It's ridiculous when sfv, inj2, even mkxl has Tekken 7 beat cold in the online play.

Seriously guys I'm not bashing the game I love and have waited years for right along side you. Busting Dotritos bags and hitting my stick - hitbox swearing at mk9, inj, ki, usf4 and mkxl that your asses will be replaced. Deleted and sold for new buttons on said sticks. But truths need to be made.

It feels recycled and incomplete. Why? 2015 was so long ago. It's 2017. And the biggest franchises keep making incomplete games we feel. We want to buy. We WILL BUY, but they... They just don't seem to worried about the quality or technology they might have OR not have available to make quality good games any more. Its. Online. I know. I get it. But it matters. To a wannabe fringe online ninja I need my battlefield, and that's better online.

Half the matches I had on xbox on Saturday and Sunday with Tekken vs TONS in inj2.

Why?

Again. I'm looking for insight but I feel discouraged. Only having, Ranked, Player match & Tournament has your online options feels a bit underwhelming. Maybe I just expected more. Not a tag feature. No. Done with that but more options to verse 1v1 with more strict net connections.

I've said what I needed to say. Please don't blow me up but I feel others "might" feel the same way.
Trust me, you definitely aren't alone. A lot of people feel the same, myself included. I've said it a couple of times. Gameplay itself is uber epic, best of the best out there. But everything else has either regressed or is just inexcusable.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Ok ok ok .....

Ed is the scrubiest piece of shit button mashing scrub character in a fg i have ever seen.

Sfv for scrubs 4 sure when their new character has no motion inputs jist buttons...

Okok im good now... thank fuck for a game where you need an iq above a baby.... thank fuck for tekken

I can honestly say since walking away from SFv completely, I have enjoyed my game time 10x more than I have in over s year. I'm excited to play and to learn and adapt again.

Sfv is a terrible terrible game, and the more people that come to realize it, and further to realize there are OTHER GAMES that provide a much better experience, the more people will leave and cease to care, and Crapcom will have to step up and actually do something about the mess they've created instead of just shrugging and saying "oh well there isn't really anything else" cause now there is. GG, Tekken, BB, Inj2 - we are spoiled for choice.

Fuck that game.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
So just picked up T7 (haven't play a Tekken game seriously before) and I am playing Shaheen.

So dude's got a slide, which is great for his mixups, but holy fuck that input. I can never get it (2/50). It's while crouching (and I am assuming you have to be neutral crouched) d/f, d, D/F + 3

Any tips on how to become more consistent with this type of input? (I know, practice) I am playing on a pad fwiw.

Thanks in advance!