What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Immortal

Blind justice....
I finished labbing all the new characters... then in treasure battle I got hit by the 2nd hit of some Lili string twice which I am pretty sure is completely new. Turns out she indeed has some new moves. Qcf2,1 is a homing mid-mid delayable NCC that's safe on block (-7). Uf2 is a freaking wallsplatting -12 mid with a huge built in sidestep, way bigger than Jin's or Feng's. FF1+2 is a homing mid which also knocks down and wallsplats, she has 3 levels of the move based on the amount of charge. Instant ( after 1 spin) is reasonably fast, negative on hit, 2 spins deals more damage and is significantly + on block, 3 spins is an unblockable. Also, as if she didn't have those enough, she has an advancing jumping mid string on uf4,3. Her fF2 is now a mid LAUNCHING POWER CRUSH. It's mega unsafe (-17), but still... she has it... she has it.
I actually started messing with Lili few days ago on the side. I need to pickup some FAM ;) And since i refuse to play Kazumi, FUCKsuka (@SaltShaker ) or LEOnardo Di Caprio so it's probably gonna be Lili.

Last edited:

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I played 4 matches in ranked against 2 players, lost the 1st one on the 5th round with both having a sliver of health to a Claudio who wasn't as button happy as I expected (omg he could backdash cancel :O). I set the rank to -/+3 preferred and 5 bars only. 2nd match I wrecked the Claudio, 3rd and 4th game was an Eddy masher whom I destroyed.

Like seriously, who wants to go through this shit just to potentially get good games once they rank up? It's sad. Ranked is good for developing your defence and fundamentals and just to get a feel for all kinds of whacky things people can come up with. You learn how to apply just enough pressure to bait out the unsafe stuff but at the same time not to be too defensive and always look out for the random launcher. But in terms of offensive patterns... you can pick up some really bad habits. People don't punish properly and you can go straight for the unsafe stuff without any kind of "feel out" phase or really setting anything up. You just do garbage to see if they eat it and lo and behold they do.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I played 4 matches in ranked against 2 players, lost the 1st one on the 5th round with both having a sliver of health to a Claudio who wasn't as button happy as I expected (omg he could backdash cancel :O). I set the rank to -/+3 preferred and 5 bars only. 2nd match I wrecked the Claudio, 3rd and 4th game was an Eddy masher whom I destroyed.

Like seriously, who wants to go through this shit just to potentially get good games once they rank up? It's sad. Ranked is good for developing your defence and fundamentals and just to get a feel for all kinds of whacky things people can come up with. You learn how to apply just enough pressure to bait out the unsafe stuff but at the same time not to be too defensive and always look out for the random launcher. But in terms of offensive patterns... you can pick up some really bad habits. People don't punish properly and you can go straight for the unsafe stuff without any kind of "feel out" phase or really setting anything up. You just do garbage to see if they eat it and lo and behold they do.

It's one of the reasons I like Tekken. I throw out unsafe moves all the time. It's nice not worrying about frame data and such. I'm not trying to be a tournament player.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

It goes by quicker than you think. You can sit and spend a few hours in one day bodying through ranked, and then reach the competent players. The good thing about that is once you get there, the majority of your matches are competitive. Better than going to player match and getting Tekken God Lord Master rank one game, and Ultra Noob rank the next game.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
It goes by quicker than you think. You can sit and spend a few hours in one day bodying through ranked, and then reach the competent players. The good thing about that is once you get there, the majority of your matches are competitive. Better than going to player match and getting Tekken God Lord Master rank one game, and Ultra Noob rank the next game.
I think I am gonna do that some time, just not right now. Even as I won, I got salty. It's an inaccurate representation of the game, it doesn't help me get better. And also I feel like I should be getting more out of the game when I play it right now. There is a tournament coming up a the end of the month. The guy who finished 2nd on the Nordic tour most likely will be there and I played with him online a few weeks back for the first time. Turns out we go back and forth. If I could only break throws I know I'd have a legit shot of beating him (he mains Jack).

I 've been hellbent on leveling up with practice mode only for the past month or so, but there is only so much I can do on my own and I really want to do well in that tourney. Some of the gimmick players and whiny bitches I know I can beat, I want to beat so badly in a tournament setting just to shut them up :D

Ok Paul is super fun, I never knew I could KBD with sway characters but I guess that was when I first learned it but now holy shit. Just moving around and hop kicking, demo man and death fisting people is so much fun, lol. Def found my non mishima secondary he is so cheesy.
One move that will always work one time is b+2,1. People always get counterhit by the 1 it is amazing.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
One move that will always work one time is b+2,1. People always get counterhit by the 1 it is amazing.
Charged? I have not used that move yet in a match. Is normal b2 good for oki, and or what do you use for oki besides run up and DM\Shredder which i use and its scrubbly lol.

I just found out df1 b goes into sway that has to be decent mind games for oki and pressure. I love him though so fun to play and goddamn his rage drive on CH whatever the damage is amazing lol.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
You can catch people with Shredder kicks if they try to get straight back up by holding back after they get hit by b1,2. They can turn around but they still can't block if you time the fF3,4 properly. Also make sure to get those flash duck low parries on d4 happy players, Paul's low parry combo does 49 damage (qcf1 - df1b,qcb4 - dash up deathfist).

Last edited:

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
You can catch people with Shredder kicks if they try to get straight back up by holding back after they get hit by b1,2. They can turn around but they still can't block if you time the fF3,4 properly. Also make sure to get those flash duck low parries on d4 happy players, Paul's low parry combo does 49 damage (qcf1 - df1b,qcb4 - dash up deathfist).
Nice thanks and damn that is some nasty damage from low parry, I bet its pretty nasty with a wall and rage drive.

Charged? I have not used that move yet in a match. Is normal b2 good for oki, and or what do you use for oki besides run up and DM\Shredder which i use and its scrubbly lol.

I just found out df1 b goes into sway that has to be decent mind games for oki and pressure. I love him though so fun to play and goddamn his rage drive on CH whatever the damage is amazing lol.
Not charged, it does launch on counter hit though. The charged version can hit downed opponents. I think it has around 18 frames startup but it is a safe x2 mid string.

Paul is probably the only OG character not named Jin that I despise.
Paul loves you too.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Ya know, I feel like Tekken gets misrepresented as this impossibly execution intensive monster. I know going in that everywhere I read talked about how it was this mega execution heavy game and how enormous of a commitment it was to even become competent. At one point I decided not to buy it after reading and upteenth mention of the grueling hell of frame perfect, angle and position specific, character specific, time of fucking day specific nonsense required to play. I have weak execution, for a couple of reasons that there's no need to get in to here, (I'm sure a bunch of you have heard me rant before about it) so the game was hugely intimidating to me. Add in the damn KBDC and I about threw in the towel.

But it's not.

It's really not bad at all.

Of course there is an upper echelon of play where you have to be half a concert pianist to pull it all off, but as a new player, just starting out, unless you go out of your way to find something absurd to base your game around that are a million ways to get by that don't have anything like the extreme difficulty the game seems to be so synonymous with.

I've been able to find perfectly adequate combos and common conversions for the handful of characters I've messed with, that start to fall in to place after 20-30m of practice. They aren't optimal of course but they are respectable enough in damage and carry to make them more than fine to learn with and the damage is close enough in many cases (not all of course) that you aren't going to be losing matches to inferior players who just happen to combo better than you.

Even the damn back dash cancel stuff.. there is a poverty version.. it's not an all or nothing thing where if you can't do the super fast/precise version you fail. Hell you can just hit b-b-d-b-b-d etc as fast as you can and you get a less effective version, but you are still moving faster than normal back dashing by a couple orders of magnitude.

EWGFs aren't near as bad as I've heard. They are weird, sure, and I don't play a Mishima, but after 15m of practice on D Jin I was getting 7/10. A few short sessions and I'd have them easy.

The game certainly has an insanely high execution ceiling, but the floor is a hell of a lot lower than I think a lot of people realize. If you want to hang with the pros you will absolutely have to master the really tough stuff and it's going to be a long road, but you have thousands on hours of play time before you're playing anywhere near the level where that stuff is an absolute necessity. Again, it's important and you'll have to learn it to progress into the ranks of the truly ridiculous players, but there is a huge cushion in place that let's you really enjoy the game and be successful with it, without having to kill yourself grinding execution.

Shrug. A pointless post, but I just got done arguing with a rl friend of mine who refused to pick up the game because he thinks before you can even function in it you have to have 150hrs of execution practice and during our argument I really came to understand that for a lot of people, Tekken is a very mysterious game full of strange, arcane and obscure stuff that can seem totally impenetrable for some people.

I want t7 not just to succeed, but to THRIVE and the more new blood we bring in, the better. The game is so good that you don't have to make a bunch of excuses for it like I always had to with SFV - most people if they just sit down with an open mind will be hooked. We just gotta get 'em to sit down with that open mind first.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Ya know, I feel like Tekken gets misrepresented as this impossibly execution intensive monster. I know going in that everywhere I read talked about how it was this mega execution heavy game and how enormous of a commitment it was to even become competent. At one point I decided not to buy it after reading and upteenth mention of the grueling hell of frame perfect, angle and position specific, character specific, time of fucking day specific nonsense required to play. I have weak execution, for a couple of reasons that there's no need to get in to here, (I'm sure a bunch of you have heard me rant before about it) so the game was hugely intimidating to me. Add in the damn KBDC and I about threw in the towel.

But it's not.

It's really not bad at all.

Of course there is an upper echelon of play where you have to be half a concert pianist to pull it all off, but as a new player, just starting out, unless you go out of your way to find something absurd to base your game around that are a million ways to get by that don't have anything like the extreme difficulty the game seems to be so synonymous with.

I've been able to find perfectly adequate combos and common conversions for the handful of characters I've messed with, that start to fall in to place after 20-30m of practice. They aren't optimal of course but they are respectable enough in damage and carry to make them more than fine to learn with and the damage is close enough in many cases (not all of course) that you aren't going to be losing matches to inferior players who just happen to combo better than you.

Even the damn back dash cancel stuff.. there is a poverty version.. it's not an all or nothing thing where if you can't do the super fast/precise version you fail. Hell you can just hit b-b-d-b-b-d etc as fast as you can and you get a less effective version, but you are still moving faster than normal back dashing by a couple orders of magnitude.

EWGFs aren't near as bad as I've heard. They are weird, sure, and I don't play a Mishima, but after 15m of practice on D Jin I was getting 7/10. A few short sessions and I'd have them easy.

The game certainly has an insanely high execution ceiling, but the floor is a hell of a lot lower than I think a lot of people realize. If you want to hang with the pros you will absolutely have to master the really tough stuff and it's going to be a long road, but you have thousands on hours of play time before you're playing anywhere near the level where that stuff is an absolute necessity. Again, it's important and you'll have to learn it to progress into the ranks of the truly ridiculous players, but there is a huge cushion in place that let's you really enjoy the game and be successful with it, without having to kill yourself grinding execution.

Shrug. A pointless post, but I just got done arguing with a rl friend of mine who refused to pick up the game because he thinks before you can even function in it you have to have 150hrs of execution practice and during our argument I really came to understand that for a lot of people, Tekken is a very mysterious game full of strange, arcane and obscure stuff that can seem totally impenetrable for some people.

I want t7 not just to succeed, but to THRIVE and the more new blood we bring in, the better. The game is so good that you don't have to make a bunch of excuses for it like I always had to with SFV - most people if they just sit down with an open mind will be hooked. We just gotta get 'em to sit down with that open mind first.
Tekken is a good game!:)

t'was only when i played MKX that i realized how difficult and strict playing tekken is. lol. Thats when I learned to appreciate it. Now I'm training like crazy again. I feel like Gohan getting back to the game lol.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
@EntropicByDesign
Too many people have such fragile egos that they think they have to practice before playing. Tell them to get over themselves, pick up the game, learn a combo, and hop online. The rest will fall into place. Its a video game, not a Congressional debate.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
What's everyone's thoughts on the viability of Kuma/Panda in T7?

Haven't versed any online yet but I am yet to beat a single AI Kuma in treasure battle, I literally always get mopped, I know it's only the computer but the bears seem to have some dirt ?

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
What's everyone's thoughts on the viability of Kuma/Panda in T7?

Haven't versed any online yet but I am yet to beat a single AI Kuma in treasure battle, I literally always get mopped, I know it's only the computer but the bears seem to have some dirt ?
I think they are decently strong in the right hands and can thrive with lack of experience in the match up.
and they have stumpy legs so some combos dont hit

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
and they have stumpy legs so some combos dont hit
ugh yeah I actually lost a match the today I need to dash in combo vs bears or it work connects I was bummed lol. You can usually get extra hits on the wall or at least you used to be able to with some of the cast.

With paul on bigs you can b3>b1,2 where you cant on normal size. I don't know if there is a better option with paul as I haven't used that move much.