What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Oh yes, i forgot about that, still a pretty good df2 tho even if its only launches on CH.
It's certainly better than Heihachi's. The risk of having Heihachi's backdashed is just too great to really use it and the hitbox is very unreliable and too high, similar to "mids" like Bruce df2 and Bryan f3. Devil Jin's is probably the best out of those 4, it hits fairly low and has enough range to not be a total liability.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
To anyone willing to start in tekken this guide can b really helpfull, specially if you don't know how a certain character plays this breaks it down real fast, this wasn't written by me tho, but from a friend named Fergus he is an Ireland Asuka main.

Enjoy and let your thoughs, the only thing left out is that Jin is now a Mishima too since its the part of him that got buffed, but really good guide.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yqgxbES6su4clpQou2hzlZN40rpPBtwmMRKWfexbj3g/edit

credits go to fergus, and he will updated with Eddy, Bears and everyone else when they get available.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
So after some advice and poking around, I think Bryan will be my day one main. That's subject to change when I have my hands on the game itself but as of now, I really like what I've seen out of him from game play and aesthetically. Hw-cantspellit-ng looks dope too, those kick strings look kinda awesome.

So, a question, after watching some matches looking at various characters, I see characters do this stuttering backdash thing constantly.. Is that the 'korean backdash' i hear referenced occasionally? And what's the purpose of it? And finally, since it sounds immensely difficult, how important is it to learn for a brand new player?

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So after some advice and poking around, I think Bryan will be my day one main. That's subject to change when I have my hands on the game itself but as of now, I really like what I've seen out of him from game play and aesthetically. Hw-cantspellit-ng looks dope too, those kick strings look kinda awesome.

So, a question, after watching some matches looking at various characters, I see characters do this stuttering backdash thing constantly.. Is that the 'korean backdash' i hear referenced occasionally? And what's the purpose of it? And finally, since it sounds immensely difficult, how important is it to learn for a brand new player?

The characters that require a lot of KDBC are mishimas mostly due their eletric punishes, even if its a good way to spacing and movement its an integral part of tekken and its extremely important at the highest level, you can learn Back dash cancels at your own pace and according to your own needs. As you get better at the game, so does your KBDC.

Most characters that are not mishimas can use KBDC but they have easier whiff punishing tools anyway. Besides trying to do flash dashes might get you killed if you can't focus on your defense while doing it.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
This is a very good set.
It's an epic set, in my opinion, and it was good to see it again. When watching top players, I love it when it goes down to the Final Round, but in this set, the winner pulled far ahead and shut the door fairly quickly. My favorite moment, is the first round of the last game. Naps pulled off an incredible comeback, and the slow-mo made it twice as exciting as it would have been otherwise.

Last edited:

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
...how important is it to learn for a brand new player?
That's the question, isn't it?

Since Tekken piqued my interest again, after quite a long time, I've been devouring streams and watching a lot of matches. The great majority of players have seemed to master the technique, and the players that haven't, stand out like a sore thumb. I've used Tekken Tag Tournament 2, to dash back and forth regularly in a similar engine, with no cancels of any kind... and it's sluggish.

You might be able to get by for awhile, but the person with the better movement must have the advantage. I doubt it's an absolute decider every game, but it's important enough to me that I've decided to master the technique, before I go any further.

Last edited:

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick

Purpose of the backdash cancel is to briefly cancel the recovery of the backdash into crouch so repeated backdashes can be performed in quick succession. Learning how to do this properly without developing infections in your hands is of paramount importance. Bryan has one of the best kits for winning the neutral and initiating short bursts of offence at his pace as well as preventing people from going full retard on him ie. zoning. Movement is the lifeblood of the character.

If you choose to pick Bryan as your first character you have a more difficult, although more advantageous choice in the long run as you are required to learn the harder version for backdash cancelling. There are 2 effective methods for backdash cancelling, the proper, harder Korean backdash method, which, after the first bb input goes db - b - db - b... Learning to backdash with this method is mandatory for anyone who plays Bryan, Paul or Nina due to them having a qcb (quartercircle backwards) "stance".

The easier, lazy version if you will, is the "reverse wavedash" method. This is performed after the first bb input as follows: qcb - b - qcb - b... this method is favoured among a lot of Mishima players because it's the same as doing repeated crouchdashes (f - neutral - d - df) in a row, a technique called wavedashing.

As a pad player I can't really speak for stick players as to which is harder or which strains the hands more. I think stick might be better for hand health because you use more muscles. The harder version is definitely very tough to learn on a pad for the player 2 side. I still struggle with Bryan's 2p backdash because I play Mishimas as well and use the lazy method, it's just nowhere near the level of movement I can execute otherwise.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Not in the loop but is Roger jr and his moms have a chance? Such a fun character to play although i liked his t6 version more then his ttt2 and I just hope he makes it in. His wd is so smooth!

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
Not in the loop but is Roger jr and his moms have a chance?
Who knows?

I would have said that Kuma and Panda would be out for sure, and I would have been 100% wrong. If the game has two bears and Steve Fox in the roster, a boxing kangaroo may not be far behind...

But don't get your hopes up.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Who knows?

I would have said that Kuma and Panda would be out for sure, and I would have been 100% wrong. If the game has two bears and Steve Fox in the roster, a boxing kangaroo may not be far behind...

But don't get your hopes up.
I never thought the bears would make it either and if roger jr doesn't make it I will be pretty salty although he is like 3-4 string I still love busting him out. And moms don't skip leg day she got some kicks gloves is just for show.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Purpose of the backdash cancel is to briefly cancel the recovery of the backdash into crouch so repeated backdashes can be performed in quick succession. Learning how to do this properly without developing infections in your hands is of paramount importance. Bryan has one of the best kits for winning the neutral and initiating short bursts of offence at his pace as well as preventing people from going full (soap bar in my mouth) on him ie. zoning. Movement is the lifeblood of the character.

If you choose to pick Bryan as your first character you have a more difficult, although more advantageous choice in the long run as you are required to learn the harder version for backdash cancelling. There are 2 effective methods for backdash cancelling, the proper, harder Korean backdash method, which, after the first bb input goes db - b - db - b... Learning to backdash with this method is mandatory for anyone who plays Bryan, Paul or Nina due to them having a qcb (quartercircle backwards) "stance".

The easier, lazy version if you will, is the "reverse wavedash" method. This is performed after the first bb input as follows: qcb - b - qcb - b... this method is favoured among a lot of Mishima players because it's the same as doing repeated crouchdashes (f - neutral - d - df) in a row, a technique called wavedashing.

As a pad player I can't really speak for stick players as to which is harder or which strains the hands more. I think stick might be better for hand health because you use more muscles. The harder version is definitely very tough to learn on a pad for the player 2 side. I still struggle with Bryan's 2p backdash because I play Mishimas as well and use the lazy method, it's just nowhere near the level of movement I can execute otherwise.
Gotcha. Interesting. Yeah bb then DB b DB b DB b sounds difficult as shit on a stick. Just rolling a qcb sounds way easier.

Welp, I'll just have to see how successful I am, lol.

So am I right , in that when I see a player do that kind of spaz-out back stutter that that's the backdash cancel in action? Cause it's kinda comical when both players do it at the same time.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
The epileptic seizure you see the characters perform is the backdash cancel in action, as for how to actually use movement properly after learning to execute it properly is not explained in detail in any tutorial anywhere. I wrote a long text but after I read it I decided to not post it because without a video it's gonna seem like an incoherent babble that's hard to grasp.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
Just a reminder folks: The Dublin, Ireland Tekken 7 UK championship begins tomorrow at 11:00 am and ends at 8:00 pm (UTC + 01)-bandainamcoeurope twitch channel.

Last edited:

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
To anyone willing to start in tekken this guide can b really helpfull, specially if you don't know how a certain character plays this breaks it down real fast, this wasn't written by me tho, but from a friend named Fergus he is an Ireland Asuka main.

Enjoy and let your thoughs, the only thing left out is that Jin is now a Mishima too since its the part of him that got buffed, but really good guide.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yqgxbES6su4clpQou2hzlZN40rpPBtwmMRKWfexbj3g/edit

credits go to fergus, and he will updated with Eddy, Bears and everyone else when they get available.
This is wonderful. Thank you!

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
LOL! You wish...
Every buff is welcome at this point. Harada has the tradition of buffing characters japanese players uses to fight off Koreans. Like Dragunov oh got buffed because of Nobi, Xiaoyu because of Tanukana, and Jin got obviously buffed right after Chikurin win a tournament with him back then lol.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
It was funny. I decide to watch some Tekken and the first thing I see is AOP totally make kings rage art whiff.
AoP is avoiding mids like water right now, which why i'm sure she is not going to survive in the console release. And god damn Xiaoyu players are defending that shit like its okay, she ignores the entire offense rule of the game, no character like this should ever exist.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Had to chime in because I've been M.I.A. a few days, and I'm currently playing the greatest fighting game ever made in the history of fighting games.

Tekken 5DR.