What's new

Team YOMI vs Team cR at KiT

Jeremy KO

*insert kotal kahn gibberish here*
The only issue is to make sure SonicFox doesn't wander off to go play Skullgirls or something during the exhibition.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Serious question: Could ESL's existence grow to seriously harm grassroots and other offline events in terms of turn out?
Such a different experience, though -- it's like asking if Youtube hurts concert attendance. It def. hurt record sales, but concert attendance is booming; the reason why is, if you go to a concert, you're going for the atmosphere, the crowd, hanging out with others, and the feel and the joy of being in a place/room with 50/100/10,000/50,000 people who share your passion.

It's not just concerts really. Conventions and big industry shows are selling out much faster than ever before. I remember how easy it used to be to get tickets to PAX, and now it's insanely difficult to get anything from the website at the original price.

That experience of a live concert is addictive and it's something entirely else from just listening to the mp3/YT, just like a tournament is something more than just playing the game.

Maybe 4-5 games are consistently selling out stadiums now, and all of them have massive online league and event presences -- so that should tell you how much people care about getting the full experience.

Last edited:
ESL money is great and all and it is gdlk how much sonic won from it, but that doesn't mean it is legit. What I mean by that is u aren't going to get all the top lvl competition that u got with capcom cup cuz they utilized offline qualifiers instead of online (which imo gives capcom cup more credibility over ESL in showcasing the top talent it should showcase for an event with big money on the line). So ESL will happen again, and I will respect whoever gets there and wins and leave it at that but capcom cup > ESL by a long shot. Side note: I have talked to ppl from other communities (street fighter, marvel, etc.) And they dnt understand why there can't be offline qualification but meh it is what it is.

The Highlander

There can be only one
No lol REO had placed 9th or better at every tournament he's been to excluding Evo and out placed me at all of them excluding Evo. REO is super underrated for no reason and only missed one top 8 in this game when he wasn't using Jason and honestly getting 15 on that eventhubs list was criminal. He's still top 5 in the world on srk rankings. he's a lock for this team tournament and uses every character in the game.
I'll take your word for it. Had no idea he was that consistent. 9th just doesn't really place on my radar you know? But he for sure is not underrated, TYM in general loves him.

Dinosaur

Data Collecting
ESL money is great and all and it is gdlk how much sonic won from it, but that doesn't mean it is legit. What I mean by that is u aren't going to get all the top lvl competition that u got with capcom cup cuz they utilized offline qualifiers instead of online (which imo gives capcom cup more credibility over ESL in showcasing the top talent it should showcase for an event with big money on the line). So ESL will happen again, and I will respect whoever gets there and wins and leave it at that but capcom cup > ESL by a long shot. Side note: I have talked to ppl from other communities (street fighter, marvel, etc.) And they dnt understand why there can't be offline qualification but meh it is what it is.
offline qualifying is a dope ass concept and should be implemented by the next Esl. Still doesn't discredit the current or past esl's obviously, but it's a legit idea. Especially when the online for the game we play has huge issues.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Those people you talked to probably didn't get the memo that it's on Xbox because Esl IS FUNDED BY MICROSOFT.

Ps4 is used for grass roots

offline qualifying is a dope ass concept and should be implemented by the next Esl. Still doesn't discredit the current or past esl's obviously, but it's a legit idea. Especially when the online for the game we play has huge issues.
Yep if the online was legit, I dnt think anyone would mind online quailfiers (like Killer instinct does)

Those people you talked to probably didn't get the memo that it's on Xbox because Esl IS FUNDED BY MICROSOFT.

Ps4 is used for grass roots
Nah, what they don't get is that even if it is on Xbox, doesn't mean there can't be any offline qualifiers (killer instinct I am pretty sure does online and offline qualifiers so there is no excuse tbh imo). Money is great, but capcom cup had more money into it and it had offline qualifiers as well.... Hell with what some believe SFV's online will be like, they may have some kind of online qualification. Also capcom cup isn't grass roots and sure enough, they use ps4.

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
Imagine if yomi wasn't traveling/prioritizing on regionals and grass roots and focused a tiny bit more on the real pots. You guys would easily have enough for a van and all travel expenses for MKX's life covered. Needless to say majors are great and offline play is better but to be honest in 6-12 months 95% of the community won't be able to tell you who won/placed what but they'll remember who won the big $

If I were any player ID take that a little more seriously
Really respect this being said, thanks Pig. We can bash online as much as we want, but at the end of the day, ESL is an amazing opportunity, and an unforgettable one at that. I've had some friends of mine that know I play a ton of MK, but don't play it themselves, but I mentioned that a kid in high school won nearly $100,000 in a week playing it and suddenly they wanted to watch the next major. I would have loved to see YOMI with a strong representation at the finals, but I feel as though their priorities were elsewhere. Online favours certain aspects of the game and hinders others, there's no denying that, but when your job is to play the game, I feel like more emphasis should have been put on ensuring success in this.

I remember Fox putting someone on blast before because they were bringing up a very laggy crap match they had in ESL.
SonicFox5000 said:
Shut up and deal with it?
Time to learn that online lag character just for these instances :3
Its that kind of mentality that makes me pretty proud Fox is the top player of our community.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
Bleh.
@YOMI FOREVER KING what @Pig Of The Hut and others in here including @CrimsonShadow said is a fact in the fgc. The bigger the team battle the more people will not show up. People bounce in single 1 vs 1 money matchs as @Juggs said.
Imo do u and if u feel u can organize this then do it. But do it with an open mind.

Heres my opinon team cR and Team Yomi both do a mini streamed event (online , in person or by who ure tream supports via a vote ) .
U send 3 players from each team for a first to three. If that dont sound good then do a first to two or select 2 members from each team. If they dont show up they forfeited and they take the L. This way its not a 5 vs 5. Also those that dont show up already have an obligation to drpp $. Anyway thats my opinion hate it etc.. just trying to bring an opinion to common sense a 5v5 with $10k on the line at KIT imo wont happen unless planed properly and as what i and many dont want to see is people blaming vandy as hes a TO after he posted here hes busy and hopes someone from the community takes leadership. I also dont want to see TYM or other fgc sites (love or hat like eventhubs lol) front page this and get disappointed. No offense king.

Imo i dont want to see people shit on KIT or any fgc site that front pages this and it doesnt happen.

Where the dude that created Yomi at. I forget his tag (and we hung out at nec 2014) reno stacks?? . Imo this should all be handled in a tym pm then maybe twitter in a private dm till shit is sorted out
Excuse typos i hate using mobile

Nah, what they don't get is that even if it is on Xbox, doesn't mean there can't be any offline qualifiers (killer instinct I am pretty sure does online and offline qualifiers so there is no excuse tbh imo). Money is great, but capcom cup had more money into it and it had offline qualifiers as well.... Hell with what some believe SFV's online will be like, they may have some kind of online qualification. Also capcom cup isn't grass roots and sure enough, they use ps4.
Pig's point, I believe, was ESL MKX is sponsored by Microsoft, so they wouldn't want to pay to sponsor ps4 entrants. Or rather let ps4 entrants play to win their money. And since offline events are almost all ps4(and will be at most majors going forward thanks to SFV), it would likely never happen.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Pig's point, I believe, was ESL MKX is sponsored by Microsoft, so they wouldn't want to pay to sponsor ps4 entrants. Or rather let ps4 entrants play to win their money. And since offline events are almost all ps4(and will be at most majors going forward thanks to SFV), it would likely never happen.
^^^^^^^

@YOMI MITYEAP

Let's drop all this hypothetical talk and make this a reality.

Do any Team Yomi or Team cR members want to step up for the MKX community and volunteer to organize this exhibition match?

If yes: let us know in this thread.

If no: since I proposed this exhibition match, and coincidentally since I organize conference meetings for a living, I can step up and volunteer to organize this exhibition match myself.

Although before I book my ticket to Memphis, it would be really nice to get confirmation that:

a) each of the proposed members are actually attending KiT.
b) each of the proposed members are actually willing to do this.
c) any kind souls are willing to share a room with me at the Crowne Plaza, because I don't want my wallet to get mopped : P

Last edited:
That is reasonable, but since it is a cup, a switch to Xbox one wouldn't be the worst thing for offline majors (tho ps4 is established alot now) @Pig Of The Hut I get it, but I am still staying with my opinion on ESL compared to capcom cup tho.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I'm not really sure how you can argue its legitimacy when the same people winning online are the ones winning offline. Sonicfox won EVO, and ESL. Foxy Grandpa is winning everything in EU ESL, 2nd at EVO, first place SCR. Some people choose not to play online, which doesnt discredit that tournament, it just means the most passionate people show up, which is totally legit in my eyes. Plus anyone can sign up and play, its FREE. Offline competition is more limited because it costs massive amounts to make it out to events. For myself(even though im travelling from canada) i looked into going to KiT and it would be about 1100$ with hotel, flight alone $770. Not a realistic number for most people. They can play ESL at home, dip there feet in the competitive scene, and show the world how good they are. We dont discredit every tournament that Dab isnt able to make it to, because top online competition wasnt present. Online is a different monster I get that. But if guys like Fox and Foxy can have massive success both offline and online, than the proof is there that it cant be that different, and is totally possible

I'm not really sure how you can argue its legitimacy when the same people winning online are the ones winning offline. Sonicfox won EVO, and ESL. Foxy Grandpa is winning everything in EU ESL, 2nd at EVO, first place SCR. Some people choose not to play online, which doesnt discredit that tournament, it just means the most passionate people show up, which is totally legit in my eyes. Plus anyone can sign up and play, its FREE. Offline competition is more limited because it costs massive amounts to make it out to events. For myself(even though im travelling from canada) i looked into going to KiT and it would be about 1100$ with hotel, flight alone $770. Not a realistic number for most people. They can play ESL at home, dip there feet in the competitive scene, and show the world how good they are. We dont discredit every tournament that Dab isnt able to make it to, because top online competition wasnt present. Online is a different monster I get that. But if guys like Fox and Foxy can have massive success both offline and online, than the proof is there that it cant be that different, and is totally possible
I heavily disagree with this cuz sonic has no offline scene in Delaware so of course he always plays online (Dab I am not sure how his scene is doing offline so I can see why he plays online alot and foxy I know has an offline scene but not with nearly as many events as the US I am sure so online he will be playing alot regardless). I already said why the capcom cup is regarded higher by the fgc, it is very obvious. Well I am back in Vegas now so I dnt have the same scene like YOMI offline (tho I got ppl to play with and of course my brother) so I will play more online by default most likely. But it is a big deal when capcom cup not only is offline, but has bigger money as well and showcases pretty much the best competition it can. I am sorry but I dnt think anyone wants to see someone like crawling shadow offline again.....

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I heavily disagree with this cuz sonic has no offline scene in Delaware so of course he always plays offline (Dab I am not sure how his scene is doing offline so I can see why he plays offline alot and foxy I know has an offline scene but not with nearly as many events as the US I am sure so online he will be playing alot regardless). I already said why the capcom is regarded higher by the fgc, it is very obvious. Well I am back in Vegas now so I dnt have the same scene like YOMI offline (tho I got ppl to play with and of course my brother) so I will play more online by default most likely
I dont get how having no offline scene plays a factor in this. The fact of the matter is hes winning online and offline. Consistently. Thats really all there is to it. You can have an offline scene and still be an amazing online player

I dont get how having no offline scene plays a factor in this. The fact of the matter is hes winning online and offline. Consistently. Thats really all there is to it. You can have an offline scene and still be an amazing online player
No I am saying he is going to be playing that regardless because he doesn't have an offline scene to play with where he lives (never said u can't do well online and offline as online I crush almost everyone I play and I do well offline too). I was talking legitimacy of the competition, and we all know offline is the more legit way to qualify for something with 100k on the line. I am not saying have no online quailfiers tho cuz some can't get out as much, but it would be nice to have some offline ones as well.

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
No I am saying he is going to be playing that regardless because he doesn't have an offline scene to play with where he lives (never said u can't do well online and offline as online I crush almost everyone I play and I do well offline too). I was talking legitimacy of the competition, and we all know offline is the more legit way to qualify for something with 100k on the line. I am not saying have no online quailfiers tho cuz some can't get out as much, but it would be nice to have some offline ones as well.
With all due respect MIT, since I love you as a player, I feel you don't really have a right to discuss the legitimacy of a tournament that you didn't even give a chance. ESL has been active for 6 weeks this season (8 if you count pre-season), and you only played in 2. Now I understand that real life things come up, but as a sponsored player I feel like you need to bite your tongue when obviously you did not have much of an interest in ESL to begin with. SonicFox, Dab and Foxy all have their sundays planned way in advance to make room for ESL, and when it comes time to play they're going to wake up early, play some online to prepare for ESL, and bust their asses in the tournament to get to the top 8 by any means. Just like you do offline.

Perhaps it would have benefitted some YOMI players to not go to NEC and run the controversial donation drive and instead focus on securing their spot in a tournament with $100,000 on the line.

Anyways, way off-topic, sorry about that. I like everyone else in this thread do really want to see this crew battle happen.

With all due respect MIT, since I love you as a player, I feel you don't really have a right to discuss the legitimacy of a tournament that you didn't even give a chance. ESL has been active for 6 weeks this season (8 if you count pre-season), and you only played in 2. Now I understand that real life things come up, but as a sponsored player I feel like you need to bite your tongue when obviously you did not have much of an interest in ESL to begin with. SonicFox, Dab and Foxy all have their sundays planned way in advance to make room for ESL, and when it comes time to play they're going to wake up early, play some online to prepare for ESL, and bust their asses in the tournament to get to the top 8 by any means. Just like you do offline.

Perhaps it would have benefitted some YOMI players to not go to NEC and run the controversial donation drive and instead focus on securing their spot in a tournament with $100,000 on the line.

Anyways, way off-topic, sorry about that. I like everyone else in this thread do really want to see this crew battle happen.
No offense taken, but I am going to let my bro try and make it in (he has a slim chance but he can do it). As I said b4, I am fine with their being online qualifiers, I just think it would be nice having offline qualifiers as well. Either way, next season I will grind it for sure becuase I will be in Vegas now and I got my connection set up. Once again for those who are reading my comments, I am not saying to not have online qualifiers as I understand the situation with ESL and their Microsoft sponsorship and some need online becuase they can't travel as much.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Bleh.
@YOMI FOREVER KING what @Pig Of The Hut and others in here including @CrimsonShadow said is a fact in the fgc. The bigger the team battle the more people will not show up. People bounce in single 1 vs 1 money matchs as @Juggs said.
Imo do u and if u feel u can organize this then do it. But do it with an open mind.

Heres my opinon team cR and Team Yomi both do a mini streamed event (online , in person or by who ure tream supports via a vote ) .
U send 3 players from each team for a first to three. If that dont sound good then do a first to two or select 2 members from each team. If they dont show up they forfeited and they take the L. This way its not a 5 vs 5. Also those that dont show up already have an obligation to drpp $. Anyway thats my opinion hate it etc.. just trying to bring an opinion to common sense a 5v5 with $10k on the line at KIT imo wont happen unless planed properly and as what i and many dont want to see is people blaming vandy as hes a TO after he posted here hes busy and hopes someone from the community takes leadership. I also dont want to see TYM or other fgc sites (love or hat like eventhubs lol) front page this and get disappointed. No offense king.

Imo i dont want to see people shit on KIT or any fgc site that front pages this and it doesnt happen.

Where the dude that created Yomi at. I forget his tag (and we hung out at nec 2014) reno stacks?? . Imo this should all be handled in a tym pm then maybe twitter in a private dm till shit is sorted out
Excuse typos i hate using mobile
Yeah I mean to be fair, I think it's possible but it would have to be done in a realistic way.

Notice nobody replied to my post (or by extension, to Vandy's post) with the list of considerations given the actual schedule at KiT. I also tagged a few key members on either team, and they've all been either silent or arguing about completely unrelated issues.

That's a sign that no one on either team is serious about this and really wants to get it done. And this is why these things usually don't happen. If either YOMI or cR was serious about this going down at KiT, we'd be talking dates, times, places, setups, format/number of matches and streamer right now instead of trying to pad e-egos.

Last edited: