What's new

General/Other - Takeda Takeda Range Analysis

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
As a way to pass the time until the release of MKX, I've begun analyzing the reach of Takeda's attacks, because damn that boy's got some range!!! So without further adieu...

This is Takeda's overhead normal. We know it's an overhead because they say on stream it can be canceled into his low-hitting Kunai special for an easy overhead-low mixup. It was hard to stop right on the frame where it was extended straight, but if you look at the ground you can see the sparks where it hits, which means its horizontal range might be slightly further than what's in this image. I had to estimate what the average character width is, but I think the width I went with is a fairly good conservative estimate.

-----------------------------------------------

This is Takeda's Lasher anti-air. It travels just shy of 2 character lengths away.

------------------------------------------------------------

This is his special fist of fury move. This actually has way more range than I remembered it having, and might actually make for a viable wake-up move, depending on how safe it is on block.

------------------------------------

This is a very fast attack that starts on the ground and swings upward. It's a mid, and could be and effective anti-air if it actually connects with airborne opponents. On hit it launches and can be canceled into teleport for a 20%+ combo. I can't tell for sure, but I believe this is the 3rd hit of his 224 string.

--------------------------------------------------------

This is his neutral-J2. On hit it causes a ground bounce for starting or extending a combo.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the max range of his Shirai Ryu standing whip special. This is a mid-hitting move that travels just shy of full-screen. On hit it deals 10%, if meter-burned it launches for a combo. On block, it's roughly -30, making it relatively safe from max range.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I have a feeling his normals will be safe. Not many F1's or F1 2 moves would be unsafe. He's gonna be a problem.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
I predict it now a viable option against any character would be over head into EX low kunai, so that you planted bombs on the ground basically. you can get a free run mix up or jump in too if it works like i think it does. so for one bar you can mix up the opponent really well. i think all 3 of his variations will be really good.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The fact that he can control such a wide area he will be able to get in with people afraid of pressing many buttons, having a low kunai and a low kick with such range will force players to stay ducked to avoid those first.

Takeda feels like the Feilong of MK, he forces characters to play footsies, which is the area he dominates and excels at, having to face a character with such a wide control will be a nightmare, since this game has hit trades you won't see many people running on takeda or randomly pressing buttons to stuff out attacks or to keep him away.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
The low poke they mentioned went about 2 character lengths judging from this image. Both normals look really strong for midrange control.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
@karaokelove Jesus dude you have sunk a lot of time into this, I with I could have but I just started finals so I can't, I can just dream up of kenshi combos and tech

Its only on Shirai Ryu, but indeed that teleport will control the space behind the opponent where his whips kunais and low starter normals don't reach it.

So good luck fighting takeda guys, LOL
Unbreakable subby will own his soul, but yea he seems pretty beast so far.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Sure, just wait there and parry the overhead.
Yeah, that's the thing I'm curious about, if parries will still work on his disjointed hitboxes. If they do, they could pose a real problem for his slower normals.

I also might have created this thread prematurely. After going in and rewatching the footage, that's really his only excessively long normal. His strings do have some long-reaching hits, but I don't have the time to do each attack in each of his strings. The only other move I might post his is crazy Lasher anti-air whip.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm also concerned about his wakeup options. He's got Teleport, which will be full-combo punishable on block (most likely...). I can't really tell what the hitbox is like on his flip kick special, but that might be an option. Then you've got his fist-of-fury move, which would be similar to waking up with Kano Choke; decent unless they jump in.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I dont think he'll be a "problem". I think in the first few weeks people are going to cry for nerfs, but I feel like the zoning, teleports and fast forward advancing moves are going to be his weak spot. If he whiffs his long range moves there seems to be quite a bit of recovery. Since he has no projectile, you can immediately back off of him and fire shit at him and bait a teleport.

Long story short...I think Takeda will be chasing opponents a lot more than people think.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I'm also concerned about his wakeup options. He's got Teleport, which will be full-combo punishable on block (most likely...). I can't really tell what the hitbox is like on his flip kick special, but that might be an option. Then you've got his fist-of-fury move, which would be similar to waking up with Kano Choke; decent unless they jump in.
Yeah, that's a whole different deal. I dont think he can wake up. Time will tell, but he may just look bad ass and turn out to be Nightwing.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I've been in fighting game longer to know that something poses a real threat when your character heavily depends of them to win.

The reason people will mostly pick parry characters to fight takeda is due the range of his overhead which is slower, but i'm still dying to see how will they handle Takeda when he land an EX Kunai on the ground, even if they're parry characters, that moves basically gives Takeda a room to do anything

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I've been in fighting game longer to know that something poses a real threat when your character heavily depends of them to win.

The reason people will mostly pick parry characters to fight takeda is due the range of his overhead which is slower, but i'm still dying to see how will they handle Takeda when he land an EX Kunai on the ground, even if they're parry characters, that moves basically gives Takeda a room to do anything
Depending on how long he can hold it. In the stream they said he can hold it "as long as he wants", but I noticed it exploding at the exact same time each time (right after each fully turns orange), leading me to believe "as long as you want" really means "about 3 seconds". I hope I'm wrong and it was just a coincidence, but I've got a feeling there's a pretty severe cap on how long he can hold it.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Depending on how long he can hold it. In the stream they said he can hold it "as long as he wants", but I noticed it exploding at the exact same time each time (right after each fully turns orange), leading me to believe "as long as you want" really means "about 3 seconds". I hope I'm wrong and it was just a coincidence, but I've got a feeling there's a pretty severe cap on how long he can hold it.
3 seconds is more than enough to put your mixups going i think its perfect if it gets them to guess for 3 seconds what will you do.