What's new

Tech TakeAChance's Anti-Wake Up Tech with Nightwing - The "Hot Sauce" Setup

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
With grundy he has to corpse or regular cleaver. MB will get blown up (apparently that one is slower?)

NW has an answer to wakeup corpse charge with staff spin. Mixup potential is still there :)

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
This is some good shit. A set up that demands respect. i like it. Lately I've been working on an OS w 2 xx Flip Kick. That goes over most hitboxes and MB launches for a combo. Works beautiful on Black Adam, Wonder woman, superman (except rising grab) and a few others. This set up seems to work better tho. Very pleased :D

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
This is some good shit. A set up that demands respect. i like it. Lately I've been working on an OS w 2 xx Flip Kick. That goes over most hitboxes and MB launches for a combo. Works beautiful on Black Adam, Wonder woman, superman (except rising grab) and a few others. This set up seems to work better tho. Very pleased :D
I've been doing something similar for forever.

You can use it to beat a lot of wakeups depending on the character. Against GA I use j2 flip kick as a mini OS to beat jump back arrow also.

So it's a guaranteed loss of 1/4 of your bar at a range you can't otherwise threaten at? Can you at least get some good damage off the mb staffy staff if they don't backdash?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
So it's a guaranteed loss of 1/4 of your bar at a range you can't otherwise threaten at? Can you at least get some good damage off the mb staffy staff if they don't backdash?

They can't do anything but block it unless you have a forward advancing wakeup.

It's threatening because you are forced to respect it. You are also within standing 1 range, j2 range, j1 range, B3 range, dash Flip kick range in escrima dash b2 range in escrima...the list goes on and on and on.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
I've been doing something similar for forever.

You can use it to beat a lot of wakeups depending on the character. Against GA I use j2 flip kick as a mini OS to beat jump back arrow also.

That GA set up is where I got it from actually, slide whiffs, savage blast gets beat clean. If Uve known bout it I won't make a video then, pretty sure other NWs know of it. Imma practice this TakeAchance set up tonight and see how much damage I can squeeze out. Thanks for the info Sajam

G4S Silent Jay

I enjoy hurting you.
I put that shit on everything!

Nah but forreal, I don't use NW, but this is still some cool tech, and something to watch out for.

They can't do anything but block it unless you have a forward advancing wakeup.

It's threatening because you are forced to respect it. You are also within standing 1 range, j2 range, j1 range, B3 range, dash Flip kick range in escrima dash b2 range in escrima...the list goes on and on and on.
I get it, I'm just saying that spending a meter to make someone do something they should default to anyway at that distance (blocking) seems inefficient. Can you do the staff, then react to their wakeup or movement by meter burning it?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I get it, I'm just saying that spending a meter to make someone do something they should default to anyway at that distance (blocking) seems inefficient. Can you do the staff, then react to their wakeup or movement by meter burning it?

The MB is required to condition them to A)Not wakeup and B) not backdash or dash.

If they start respecting it, go nuts with whatever you want to do. It's a meter to not only punish all wakeups and get 38%, but to force them to sit there.

If they block it, you are at hefty advantage.

I am not sure what more you want.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Great Post, well organized, thank you. In a game where everyone loves to wake up 95% of the time, this is good stuff. Thanks.

The MB is required to condition them to A)Not wakeup and B) not backdash or dash.

If they start respecting it, go nuts with whatever you want to do. It's a meter to not only punish all wakeups and get 38%, but to force them to sit there.

If they block it, you are at hefty advantage.

I am not sure what more you want.
Well it doesn't punish all wakeups, it preemptively beats them. That's pretty different, since it means you have to bet that they'll try to get up with something rather than seeing that they did something and then punishing it. Maybe semantics but it's useful to be accurate.

Anyway I'm not trying to attack you or anything, I'm just trying to think through it. It's certainly a nice idea against opponents you know to be wakeup happy.

Yeah I get what the MB does I'm just wondering if can wait to confirm that the opponent did something and then use MB so that you could save the meter if the opponent sits still. If not that's fine, just wondering.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Well it doesn't punish all wakeups, it preemptively beats them. That's pretty different, since it means you have to bet that they'll try to get up with something rather than seeing that they did something and then pushing it.

Anyway I'm not trying to attack you or anything, I'm just trying to think through it. It's certainly a nice idea against opponents you know to be wakeup happy.

Yeah I get what the MB does I'm just wondering if can wait to confirm that the opponent did something and then use MB so that you could save the meter if the opponent sits still. If not that's fine, just wondering.
It punishes wakeups with poor/no invincibility. It also punishes wakeups with invincibility that have to travel to Nightwing (like phase blasts etc.) It makes characters like joker have no options. None. He has to block. He can't wakeup to beat it, he can't jump he can't dash he has to sit there in crouch. Having that kind of advantage in a match especially when you have a tell that says "The opponent is going to be crouching" is huge.

You do not have to MB, but the opponent can then dash out. It opens up escape routes. As far as hitconfirming, I am not sure if it can be done.

Like, you're looking at it like "Yes, but now that I know not to do these things, I wont do them so I feel like you are wasting meter"

Well, you and I now know about it and you are conditioned. This means you wont wakeup, you wont dash, you will sit there. Which options up SO much more options.

It punishes wakeups with poor/no invincibility. It also punishes wakeups with invincibility that have to travel to Nightwing (like phase blasts etc.) It makes characters like joker have no options. None. He has to block. He can't wakeup to beat it, he can't jump he can't dash he has to sit there in crouch. Having that kind of advantage in a match especially when you have a tell that says "The opponent is going to be crouching" is huge.

You do not have to MB, but the opponent can then dash out. It opens up escape routes. As far as hitconfirming, I am not sure if it can be done.
But it's not punishing. Punishing is a process that starts with the opponent making a mistake and then finishes with you doing damage to the opponent and/or putting the opponent into a bad situation. This is the opposite because you act before the opponent even gets a chance to make a mistake. That is, you bet a meter that the opponent will make a mistake. That's fine if you're pretty sure they're gonna make that mistake, just saying that thinking of it as punishing the opponent is liable to make you a little overreliant on it.

Gonna try to remember to test out the hit confirm when I get home.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
But it's not punishing. Punishing is a process that starts with the opponent making a mistake and then finishes with you doing damage to the opponent and/or putting the opponent into a bad situation. This is the opposite because you act before the opponent even gets a chance to make a mistake. That is, you bet a meter that the opponent will make a mistake. That's fine if you're pretty sure they're gonna make that mistake, just saying that thinking of it as punishing the opponent is liable to make you a little overreliant on it.

Gonna try to remember to test out the hit confirm when I get home.

It's one option that covers many (Not an OS tho).

You don't bet anything. It's guaranteed on the characters listed above.

In this particular game, meter is easily gained and easily spent. You're looking at it like "But if they simply block it, I am out a bar of meter" which is true, but you are also at advantage, eliminated the wakeup game, and left them in neutral after dishing out damage of your own.

Then, you can start playing the meta around the setup.

If we look at it in terms of Risk/Reward. NW has no risk, and insane reward.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
I hereby announce that we immediately change the name of the setup to something not related to Regime Nightwing.

I'd gladly spend a bar if it meant I'd be at adv, eliminate wakeups, and possibly land a full combo
Good shit.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Just tried to hitconfirm the MB part, and it's pretty difficult. Waiting long enough to see if the wakeup comes out pretty much means that you are too late on the mb part.

I also found that if I was MBing later sometimes I wouldn't get a punish, that might have been specific to the first wakeup I tried. (rising grab)

So yeah, there that. TakeAChance UltraDavid

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
I hereby announce that we immediately change the name of the setup to something not related to Regime Nightwing.

I'd gladly spend a bar if it meant I'd be at adv, eliminate wakeups, and possibly land a full combo
Good shit.
Yeah the advantage is nice, but the space it puts you are means you are too far to really follow up with any serious pressure.

I could see how the mixups open up after your opponent knows the setup, but at that point they have different options to get out.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Yeah the advantage is nice, but the space it puts you are means you are too far to really follow up with any serious pressure.

I could see how the mixups open up after your opponent knows the setup, but at that point they have different options to get out.

And if they utilize them, and you do this again...they get full combo'd :p

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise

I haven't gotten a chance to lab it yet, so I'm just going off of the OP + replies.

I'm fine with the MB part shoving them away too far if it means they can't wakeup. Obviously mixing this up is important.